Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ciao,

I've throubles with the external display. I played with NCAP strings without success.

Did somebody get the external display working (with NV Quadro NVS 110M)?

thanks a lot,

dustin

---

10.5.2 kalayway, Dell latitude D620 (with a NV Quadro NVS 110M), NVinject 0.2.1

Hey creadivex,

I just successfully installed iAtkos v4i on my D620 last night! The GMA950 works flawlessly so far with no artifacting at all as long as you disable multicore in the BIOS. I also disabled a bunch of other stuff like serial and parallel ports; basically, dumbed the BIOS down to be as compatible as possible. I tried a number of times to install with varying degrees of success but I found that just installing the core system with nothing else, no drivers, no extra software etc., worked perfectly on the first go! Sweet! I was greeted with the Leopard Welcome animation but no sound. I discovered a fix for sound on my D620; look for a file called D620_sound.zip and unzip it. Run AppleHDAPatcher v1.1.2 with the included sigmatel9221.txt file and voila! SOUND! Sweet! Now, on to the good stuff... I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my wireless card working which I'm pretty sure is an Intel 3945. No luck yet. Also, I'm pretty sure that my D620 has the Broadcom 57xx ethernet card in it which, so far, no one has been able to get to work on any laptop that I've seen. Also, I'd really like to get my PCMCIA slot up and running and I think I saw a forum link to a patcher for that as well. That's it so far. I'd be happy with just wireless for now so I'm off to scour the forums for a driver... :)

Cheers,

Mervoid

thanks mervoid,

i think that im going to go ahead and try the install. Just out of curiosity, did you ever try to install an earlier version of leopard and get graphical artifacts. i heard some people tried using earlier iATKOS installers and didnt get any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally after many hours trolling the forums and trying this and that I have a pretty good install on my D620. Here's the rundown:

iATKOS v4i disti - installed on clean drive using the defaults

single core using "cpus=1" in boot.plist

Video working - Quadro 110m video, full resolution and QE/CI working (had to use NVKush as NVinject did not enable QE/CI)

Sound working - use the popular HDAupdater found in this thread

Wireless working (Dell 1390 wireless) out of the box

Broadcom NIC - not working

So far, it's pretty stable with just an occasional hang on boot. I've actually been using this as my main system for weeks now. Got the Office for MAC install and using Entourage with our Exchange server with few issues. Also using the Cisco VPN Client when on the road with no issues either. Every now and then I need to run a windows app or use explorer on a website that Safari doesn't work on. In those cases, I boot my XP VM under the VMware Fusion install I have running.

Current issues:

Shutdown hangs after screen goes blank. Have to hold the power button down for 3 secs to shut off. If anyone has a fix that would be appreciated.

Still no dual core support

Lastly, does anyone know of a PC keyboard to MAC keyboard key map?

sci85

• 2 weeks later...

After alot of trouble I finally got my Dell going to a usable degree. I have the following components:

Intel Celeron 1.6GHz (because my original CPU died) - Works perfectly, but detects as an Intel Core Solo 1.6GHz

Intel 945GM Graphics - Works perfect with QE/CI. No lags or stutters. I installed the GMA950 patch during the Kalyways install

Dell Wireless 1350 (aka the Broadcom card) - Works fine, but I hade to install IONetworking.kext from 10.4.6/color]

I actually noticed that if I boot with the wireless switch off then turn it on, I have to reboot for it to take effect

Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet - Detects something is there but constantly says that the cable is unplugged

Sigmatel STAC92xx HDA Sound - Works using AppleHDAPatcher with the codecdump.txt, but mute doesn't work

Wake from Sleep - Doesn't go at all

I am using Kalyway 10.4.10 DVD

I noticed a few weird things like Firefox won't work. It inports the settings from Safari, then it crashes. It did this with 3.0 and 3.0.1.

Other than the minor bugs, it's going fine. I can live without ethernet, but I would like it fixed along with sleep, but that seems like a common problem.

Will post more results when they come...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My D620 right now works fine with Kalyway 10.5.4 after upgrade from 10.5.2 (many many times :P )

Here is my hardware

- Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83 GHz

- Memory 2 GB

- Bus Speed 667 MHz

- Integrated Intel GMA 950 Graphic adapter

- Dell Wireless 1390 MiniPCI Card

- Dell TrueMobile 350 Bluetooth module

- Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet 57xx nic

- Conexant HDA D110 Modem onboard

- SigmaTel HDA audio sound onboard

- LCD 14.1 WXGA

All above except Broadcom Gigabit 57xx doesn't work, and Bluetooth can't turn off (always on)

Start install with 10.5.2 and select only needed drivers (just like stac9200 for audio, intel gma950 for display). I use vanilla kernel, after install display shown 1280x800 (the maximum resolution for LCD 14.1 WXGA) with full function on CI/QE and able to enable Quartz GL by using OSX86Tools.

However after finished install 10.5.2, I have to set sound preference and select output "internal stereo" by default the ouput was internal subwoofer and no sound came out, so I have to change and it works.

There's a problem after upgrade to 10.5.3, it's blank screen (after update -v at the first boot). I fixed this by copy "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext" from the first 10.5.2 installed, and replace that old one in System/Library/Extensions, chown & chmod -> restart .... the LCD screen came back (yippee) ;)

By the way, for my case, no need to set bios to disable duo core cause of I'd selected cpus=1 at the first 10.5.2 installed. :D

• 2 weeks later...

For all of us, Dell Latitude D620 owners: finally got my Broadcom BCM5752 (0x1600) fully functional.

View my signature for links.

An hour ago tried iwi3945. Must say - work continued: my Dell now can see wireless networks, but unfortunately - can not connect to any.

See this thread for details: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84072

For me - there's only one unsolved problem: sound. Got working internal mic, internal speakers and headphone jack. That's all. No mute. Even if take sound to minimum level - sound comes out. No mic/line-in/line-out jack. No SPDIF.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I rebuilt my good old D620 with JaS 10.5.4 distribution, with NVKush (onboard graphics is nVidia Quadro NVS 110M), it gave colour banding...... After spent a night on resourcing/trying, I finally got CI/QE and full colour working with EFI GFX string~~~~

Whoever wanna try, feel free to download it here (hex and plist):

http://www.badongo.com/file/11626981

Here's the instruction for how to use EFI gfx string:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html

I tried with iDeneb (1.3/10.5.5) too and had the same problem. Kalyway 10.5.2 works like a dream for me (supposedly 10.5.4 does too, will try that soon)

Bluetooth works, 2 Core works?!!!

I need to install!!!! I try 6 times with iDeneb (default, MBR, GUID...) and nothing...."still waiting for root device"

(Is a Dell Latitude D620 for a friend).

I tried with iDeneb (1.3/10.5.5) too and had the same problem. Kalyway 10.5.2 works like a dream for me (supposedly 10.5.4 does too, will try that soon)

I'm a completely new to the hackintosh so I'm going to update this post as I go along in an attempt to help others. The information seems to be scattered everywhere...

1. I was able to get iDeneb (1.3/10.5.5 + nForce patch) installed and around the "Waiting for Root Device" problem by using the following options:

Patches > Chipset > ICHx Fixed

Patches > Fix > PowerManagement

Patches > Video > NVidia > NVKush

2. Next I downloaded the application from this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

To get my sound card working (including mute + mute with headphones), the second core, and the ability to install updates I installed the following:

Sound > Sigmatel 9200

Others > DualCore > 9.5 Kernel

Others > Safe Updates

3. To reconfigure the keyboard to the way I liked it I installed DoubleCommand (had to download using Safari)

http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

I was then able to set "Option key as Command key" and "Command key as Option key"

I've still got to work on the onboard NIC, sleep (with 9.5), two finger scrolling and perhaps more stuff

The onboard NIC should be solved with this URL

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&start=580

Curious, did anyone ever get around the issue with headphones? It's been a while since I rebuilt my D620 Hack and I see that there's been some major progress like the duo core issue and the onboard nic... all I can do without but my biggest annoyance is the speakers are still on when I plug in headphones and there's still some sound even when the volume is all the way down..

• 2 weeks later...
3. To reconfigure the keyboard to the way I liked it I installed DoubleCommand (had to download using Safari)

http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

I was then able to set "Option key as Command key" and "Command key as Option key"

you can get those keyboard mods natively in the keyboard & mouse system pref pane without needing to install doublecommand (which always felt a little kludgy to me). click the keyboard tab and then hit the "Modifier Keys..." button down at the bottom left of that tab.

let us know if you get the 2-finger scrolling working on your laptop!

I tried the two finger scroll in that Dell Laptop Post Installer and it made my trackpad goofy if I push down on it. I really can't use sound if it won't mute in class and such, so I just picked a random sound dump that turned it off.

I would like to get sleep working, has anyone got a fix for this? I tried doing the displaypackage fix to change resolution on wake, but I couldn't get 'mv /Volumes/cscreen/cscreen /usr/bin' to work. I kept getting a read-only error.

So has ANYONE found a fix for:

Sleep

Mute-sound

2 finger scroll

I tried the two finger scroll in that Dell Laptop Post Installer and it made my trackpad goofy if I push down on it. I really can't use sound if it won't mute in class and such, so I just picked a random sound dump that turned it off.

I would like to get sleep working, has anyone got a fix for this? I tried doing the displaypackage fix to change resolution on wake, but I couldn't get 'mv /Volumes/cscreen/cscreen /usr/bin' to work. I kept getting a read-only error.

So has ANYONE found a fix for:

Sleep

Mute-sound

2 finger scroll

My post (#191) that is in the same thread (and on the same page for that matter) as yours explains how to get sound working (including mute and speaker mute with headphones).

Almost there but cant figure out how to get the foll wing working on my dual boot D620

1. Get native video mode 1440 X 900 I have the Intel GMA 950.

2. And a solution for sleep shutdown.

Any help in a solution would be great.

Sorry if this has been covered

I tried loading the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and for some reason, it will not load during boot. I fixed the permissions and owner, but still no luck. If I log in as root and type 'kextload AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext' it loads and works fine. At this point, I am at a loss. I am running Kalyway with the 10.5.5 update. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Mark