Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

You can still try installing GRUB, and just using it to boot OSX.

The menu.1st file entry would be something like

rootnoverify (hda0,0)

chainloader +1

boot

if i were to dual boot with linux, could i just use the grub bootloader included in linux and just set a mount point to my OS X partition.

if i were to dual boot with linux, could i just use the grub bootloader included in linux and just set a mount point to my OS X partition.

Yes, you could. In fact, using GRUB from Linux has been known to have better success than the other versions.

You can use a live-CD from just about any Linux distro - I used Puppy Linux because it's very, very simple (and fast). Boot into Puppy, right-click on the desktop and go (something like) System->Grub Bootloader, and then there are simple steps to follow.

Nope! It's just easiest to install it using a Linux Live-CD, but you can boot anything with GRUB.

i don't mean to be the uptight police here, but this thread started out pretty focused and useful on running os x on a D620 and most of the last two pages are now very generic stuff about burning and using an install DVD that really [it seems to me] belongs in a totally different thread in a totally different area of the forum. it just makes it harder to find relevant info when threads change focus in mid-stream like that.

True true, sorry about that. I guess I saw this thread as a sort of figure-stuff-out place that would eventually lead to a coherent guide with all the progress we've made, but I suppose more general problems should be in other threads :hysterical:

Also sziggle, can I ask what the complete PCI address for your SigmaTel card is?

YEEHAW! My sound issue is resolved!!!

I feel reeeeally dumb now, but what made the difference was moving the codec dump OFF of my flash drive before feeding it to the patcher. Who knew, right?

I HAVE SOUND!!!

Granted, mute doesn't work, and plugging in headphones doesn't silence the speakers, but.... you know... actually, that kind of sucks.

Has anyone had more success? The built-in mic works, haven't tested the input jack yet.

True true, sorry about that. I guess I saw this thread as a sort of figure-stuff-out place that would eventually lead to a coherent guide with all the progress we've made, but I suppose more general problems should be in other threads :blink:

Also sziggle, can I ask what the complete PCI address for your SigmaTel card is?

actually, i don't know how to determine the PCI address for my sigmatel card, i just used the dump that i linked to in my signature and it worked without my having to do anything specific to my laptop, but it sounds like you are as far as i am now with the audio. it does suck that plugging in the headphones doesn't silence the speakers. kinda makes it impossible to watch movies on plane... so i find myself booting into XP when i'd rather not. let us know if you figure that out and you are absolved of all thread hijacking sins.

It turns out that they're working (and making a ton of progress) on this exact issue for the 9205 here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...60&start=60

I've PMed Paulo and asked him if he can abstract his process to include the 9200, or at least explain what he is doing, so we can achieve the same success. Right now they have the mic jack working and manual switching between the two outputs working as well.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I'm typing this from Leopard!!! <_<

I got my hands on a Belkin USB wifi adapter, F5D7050 v.3002 and installed the drivers, fixed permissions, rebooted and I WAS ONLINE! No configuration or anything.

I guess I'm going to give OS X a try for a few days and then decide if I want to invest in a 1490 (they're under $15 shipped from eBay, so I might just get it tomorrow). All that's left is to fix these sound issues, which I can do much easier now that I don't have to reboot into XP every time I need to look something up or snag another file.

Yay!

so the issues that are still unresolved are the wired ethernet adapter, dual core ability and sleep/wake right?

i've been running os x on my d620 for a couple weeks now and it's been great!

so the issues that are still unresolved are the wired ethernet adapter, dual core ability and sleep/wake right?

i've been running os x on my d620 for a couple weeks now and it's been great!

These are my remaining issues as well. I have tried all the popular fixes for the dual core, and the sleep/wake with no success. I have been running Leopard for about 5 weeks now and have learned to live with the way things are, but would love to get things 100% ( a little OCD ). Can we take a poll of what distributions people have tried or are currently running?

I have been running the original Brazil Mac Patch on an store bought Leopard DVD. I have applied the EFI fix are now running with the vanilla kernel with some of the common kext's that are needed (Power mgmnt, and Sound). One thing that has been confusing me is that my power management worked for sleep wake and full shutdown once, the only things that were not working was the battery icon. Once I fixed that with a kext file I downloaded I now have the popular sleep/wake issues. I will try and restore the kext backup that I (may) have. I will update with my results.

I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 (the only version I know of).

I'm still having those minor sound issues I need to take a look at, have no wired internet, and the display won't turn on if it turns off.

That said, my laptop sleeps and wakes up without any issue whatsoever....

I haven't even tried power management yet... what about it doesn't work?

D820. I am running iATKOS 1.0i. EVerything works except for sleep, dual core, and PCMCIA (haven't tried ethernet). Installed on a Guid partition with efi v8 and vanilla kernel using i am me's workaround. Would love to get sleep working to get both cores working as well but no luck despite days of trial and error. I was not able to install Brazilmac (stalls within minutes when booting dvd), Kalyway (finishes install but will not boot), or TOH (same as Kaly). iATKOS has been super stable and dependable despite no sleep or dual core. Still need to check boot camp and parallels on Guid but parallels works fine with MBR, bootcamp does not. I expect to get bootcamp working with Guid now using Vista 64.

• 2 weeks later...
anyone try parallels?

i tried parallels and it didn't seem to work, although there might be a newer version out now. i'm running vmware fusion though, and i have no complaints at all. it's fantastic on the d620 in leopard.

I'm a newbie here and looking to test this out on my D620. Is there a step by step guide for installing on a D620 with all the tweaks, modified settings, etc to get it installed? I tried today w/ the Kalyway iso but upon reboot for the install I got the b0 error like another poster experienced.

Hello, I am from Beijing, China.

I tried couple of times installing iATKOS v1.0i on my DELL D620, finally this afternoon I succeeded. But sound card and wire network card don't work.

After searching information by google, actually I found useful information from this forum.

For sound card part, I patch driver using "AppleHDAPatcherv1.20" and "STAC9200.txt" dump from linux. After rebooting, sound card works! But with the bug, when headset plugged in, speaker still sound laud! :(

Wired network doesn't work so far. Does anyone get broadcom440 worked?

9200.txt

===========

core 2 duo cpus=1

intel 945gm fine

sigmatel 9200 works with bug

broadcom440 doesn't work