Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

hi i'm attempting to to put osx on my comp and it's really frustrating that it's not working. i may have a faulty dvd or something but i keep getting a reboot loop. Anyone that has had a successful install, would you mind copying your dvd and sending it to me?

Hi folks,

I've got running KALYWAY on my D620 and the big issue was the HDA sound patch.

I've just applied the codec that i got from my Ubuntu install and besides the success message from AppleHDAPatcher the sounds refused to work. Now digging in another thread i've just figured out that the problem was with the file permissions. If you have same kind of problem, what you need to do is "repair disk permissions" from DiskUtility, patch HDA again, reboot. Bingo!

attached is my codec file.

[uPDATED]

Ok, I've just realized that the real problem was the codec file that I dumped from Ubuntu, codec_intel_sigmatel9200.txt.

Attached is another one that works fine, sigmatel9221.txt

[/uPDATED]

codec_intel_sigmatel9200.txt

sigmatel9221.txt

Installed on my D620 using kalyway 10.5.1.

I have been booting it off of an external usb hard drive, with very good success. Last night i installed parrallels and Win XP Pro, worked perfectly.

Now for the bugs:

- Broadcom lan not working at all, everyone knows that of course.

- Last night, in the midst of using parralels and itunes and several other applications, my computer froze, and would not reboot for about 5 mins, upon reboot got a bios error message saying that the computer overheated (i was doing quite a bit) and upon reboot worked fine. Has anyone else noticed there machine running hotter when using leopard? My machines always runs hot under vista but i found it strange.

- I have yet to try battery meter, will look into that.

- Shutdown not functional, have yet to try any recommended fixes, restart does work.

- Cannot let the screen go to sleep, will not resume, have not tried any remedys for that either.

- The no muting of the sound is a nuisance too, i have not yet seen a fix for that.

Other then that, haha, its all good! Specs are listed below.

One more thing to add, i run the computer when it is docked in the D-Dock, and use the laptop screen as well as a 20" LCD, the multiplte monitors were perfectly each configured with seperate resolutions. However, the headphone jack on the dock is in-operable, and speakers must be plugged in directly to the laptop jack.

the battery meter works with iATKOS.

I have no problem restarting or shutting down,

Installing with kalyway always results in a b0 error, this is fixed with the darwin boot utility in iATKOS.

i get some graphical errors on programs like microsoft office and adobe photoshop. the mouse seems to lag and shows a second mouse randomly.

sleep doesnt work

wifi works our of the box.

wired internet does not work

10.5.2 is a killer. report any d620 success here. i'm going to work on it tomorrow. i ran the update on my external and it panicked out. i'll try to fix it and also try a reinstall tomorrow hopefully...

10.5.2 upgrade worked for me on my D620. Followed the instructions in the forum on upgrading. Keyboard and trackpad did not work afterwards, but applied the kext's that are listed in this forum as well. Everything is working like a champ. I only wish I had dual display. Oh well.

Kalyway 10.5.1 EFI - 10.5.2 updated.

D620

NVIDIA NVS

Dell Truemobile wireless.

Hi,

I'm using a Dell D620. Was using a D610 but have upgraded - kinda! Spec in sig.

Had OSX 10.4.8,.9,.10 and .11 dual booting with Windows XP - even triple booted with SUSE Linux for a while - even quad booted with Vista too for a bit! Using Acronis OS selector and GRUB got to be a bit confusing tho and kept encountering problems so just OSX and XP is easier!

Anyway, am experimenting with Leopard now that I have a core duo D620. I've got XP and OSX 10.4.11 installed on an internal SATA drive. Got problems with networking on OSX cos of the Intel wireless card, and havent got round to sorting out the Broadcom 57xx wired NIC yet. Everything else seems to be OK.

On another drive (SATA internal) I have been testing Leopard. Was trying to dual boot for a while but I dont think Acronis likes EFI emulation so have given up on that for now. Will try with Vista once I've got Leopard fully sorted. So I tried several attempts at installing Leopard. Brazil patched 9A581, iATKOS v1.0+v1.0ir2, Kalyway 10.5.1 and only really had any luck with Kalyway. That's what I finally got smoothly going last night. Have applied patches and virginizer and it's OK. I've got no network yet - the Intel WLAN doesnt work...need to get hold of a Broadcom chipset WLAN card and havent got the 57xx NIC going yet either. Bluetooth is fine and so's the graphics. Still not quite got the audio going.

I used a guide for installation on a D630, which went really well but there are some differences and that's what I havent got working. Like the X1300 video, I dont have that but mine's OK anyway. I dont have the Dell 1390 wireless either which seems to work 'out of the box' (I think it's a Broadcom chipset). It surprised me that Intel doesnt work with Leopard, now that they've gone witht the processors...!

So can we get a list of compatibility issues, patches anyone has that have worked, and general info so we can all get either Tiger, preferably Leopard going on our D620's?! :)

I will follow this with a list when I get some more time later, and I'll do some driver/kext testing and see what I can get working.

I guess the big question is: does anyone have the Intel Wireless working?!?!?If so, please tell me how! :P

Thanks.

Installed Kalyway 10.5.1 and have all functions working fine with exception of sound. Saw the posts regarding the sound patches & was curious once I download the HDpatcher & the .txt file, how do I drag-n-drop em to get things installed? Totally noobie here, thanks in advance.

For the K10.5.1 install I did the following:

(a) Change bios setting from active DualCore to single cpu operation only

(;) Boot with K10.5.1 DVD

© Use disk utility to format drive and:

- primary drive set as MBR

- "leopard" volume formated MAC OS Extended (journaled)

(d) exited disk utility

(e) continued with installation

(f) selected ONLY the following under CUSTOMIZE

- Wifi - Realtek Wifi

- MBR-EFI

- left kernel version alone, didn't need to use vanilla (or any other extract :-)

(g) completed installation & rebooted (removing DVD prior to post)

(h) bootup and start sequence worked flawlessly

(i) using the unit now on my wireless network with no issues what so ever.

...b :)

Saw the posts regarding the sound patches & was curious once I download the HDpatcher & the .txt file, how do I drag-n-drop em to get things installed? Totally noobie here, thanks in advance.

Just drag the text file on top of the HDA Patcher icon (it should be a frog) and let go. I hope this is what you were asking about...

Notes and questions about sleep / resume.

If I allow my laptop to sleep on it's own, I can successful wake it up. However if I shut my lid or tell it to sleep the screen does not wake after the machine resumes. I did install the Power Management bundle mentioned earlier in this blog. Does this spur any thoughts?

Leopard Graphics Update

I know it's been some debate whether to install the graphics update or not. I tried it this past weekend and hosed my install. However that was before I installed the 10.5.2 kernel so my machine then would kernel panic on boot. I've reinstalled and would love to get rid of the tearing on my screen. I use this machine to teach and it's frustrating to have to move a window around to make parts of my screen readable. I installed with Kalyway 10.5.1 then updated using the 10.5.2 update and the kernel as well. I would like to try the graphics update again because some are getting great results. Does anyone have experience recovering from the kernel panic it caused. I don't want to reinstall again.

Thanks...

n00b here just isntalled kalaway 10.5.1 on my d620 w/1gb of ram

had to use a file D620_sound.zip i found on here, don't ask me how, to get the sound working.

as usual, wired networking doesn't work but everything else seems to be fine.

black screen when returning from sleep

shutdown works

restart works

no battery metter <-- bugs me.

disabled core support in bios otherwise the system won't boot.

update: got the battery metter running using the file powermanagement_137_1.bundle.tar.gz

even got the percent and time remaining to show. however the system panics on shutdown. :(

ability to gracefully shutdown vs battery metter?? hmmm

Hi, I've got a latitude d620 and I'm wondering if it would work with OSX? I have the one with the broadcom chipsets and the intel video driver.

Has anyone else tried this? Are there any howto's for this laptop?

Someone please help me out? :(

I installed 10.5.1 iAtkos v1.0 on a dell d620 and like everyone else can't get audio or the NIC to work. The video is displaying but is choppy (drivers are my guess). Can anyone reply or message me about getting these fixed? I also tried the reboot/sleep fix and that killed the install so any tips on that are appreciated.

the battery meter works with iATKOS.

I have no problem restarting or shutting down,

Installing with kalyway always results in a b0 error, this is fixed with the darwin boot utility in iATKOS.

i get some graphical errors on programs like microsoft office and adobe photoshop. the mouse seems to lag and shows a second mouse randomly.

sleep doesnt work

wifi works our of the box.

wired internet does not work

Your wifi works on he d620??? Can you post the .kext file or tell share what you used to have it working out the box???

Well guys, just wanted to report my success story!

Kalyway 10.5.1 updated with Kalyway 10.5.2 combo-update and running kernel 9.2. All works perfectly!

Sound / Wireless / Battery Info / Everything working perfectly! You literally cant tell this isn't a genuine mac!

The only issue i have is I cant get dual core to work. I know thats a common complaint here - does anyone have any updates on this situation? Other then the fact i must run single core the laptop works perfectly.

Can you give directions? I would like to do the same, but there is so much information out there that I don't know where to begin.

Well guys, just wanted to report my success story!

Kalyway 10.5.1 updated with Kalyway 10.5.2 combo-update and running kernel 9.2. All works perfectly!

Sound / Wireless / Battery Info / Everything working perfectly! You literally cant tell this isn't a genuine mac!

The only issue i have is I cant get dual core to work. I know thats a common complaint here - does anyone have any updates on this situation? Other then the fact i must run single core the laptop works perfectly.

Has anyone gotten the Dell Latitude D620 to load the iATKOS v1.0i v2 LEO 10.5.1? I am dual booting with Vista (yuck I know) and when I choose the mac os x from the Vista boot loader I get the blinking cursor.

I also have a HP Compaq nc6220 I've installed it on and fixed the blinking cursor with the XP fixmbr and now I get the Darwin loader screen with the hd(0,1) mac startup volume to select from but it doesn't do anything.

I also tried installing iATKOS v1.0i v2 LEO 10.5.1 on a Dell 700m and it keeps getting stuck at the loader screen:

Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my stuckness. :(

Can you give directions? I would like to do the same, but there is so much information out there that I don't know where to begin.

Welp, ok. Assuming your starting from the very beginning...

* You MUST set single core mode in bios! *

1. Acquire Kalyway Leo 10.5.1 Intel Install Image.

2. Acquire Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Update

3. Install the 10.5.1 Intel Image (just as you would any other OS.)

4. When it boots up and asks for configuration options open up disk utility and set your partitions correctly (If your sharing the drive with windows just make a new partition, if your using a new disk format however you wish).

5. Continue through the installation until you see the screen with the install 'Install' button. Click 'Customize' in the lower left hand corner. Make sure EFI is selected for MBR (if your sharing the drive with a windows partition) or GUID (If its a new disk you just formated). No other options need to be installed.

6. When the installer finishes you can now boot into a working leopard 10.5.1! The only problem is sound wont be working!

7. Use the sound file found on the first page of this thread ( attachment: d620_sounds ). Download that file and uncompress it. Drag the included .txt file onto the HDAPatcher included and let it do its thing. Reboot when its done.

8. Now sound works too! Woohoo! Lets update the install now!

9. Run the 10.5.2 Combo Update file you acquired earlier. Let it do its thing and restart when required. The computer will restart and fail to boot properly. This is OK! The next time it boots it should work perfectly. You know have 10.5.2 installed! Now lets finish off a few things (getting speedstep working, battery icon showing, etc...)

10. Download the pack i have attached below. It is based off of another pack rumaging around the net, but i included all of my own personal files and such for my own D620, so they should work just right for you!

http://www.novicee.com/edu/Speedstep.zip

*** ALL CREDIT FOR THIS WONDERFUL PACK IS PAID TO http://minsong79.tistory.com/10. I have Modified it for the D620 specifically, but original pack was found there! ***

11. Follow the instructions included in the zip file below, using the files included below

12. Congratulations, you now have a fully working, fully upgraded D620 running Leopard!

BUT WAIT, THERES POTENTIALLY MORE!

You can feel free to get software updates from the built in apple software updated, however if you install the 'Leopard Graphics Pack' that it tells you you should your computer will no longer boot correctly! Uh oh! You have two choices here now.

1. Dont Download it.

2. Download it and MAKE IT WORK!

Ill assume your an adventurous guy (hey, i hope you are :unsure: ) and want to do the second option. No problem, but some more steps are needed....

1. Backup your AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext file located in System/Library/Extensions (simply dragging it to your desktop will work fine. Infact, ill be assuming thats what you did below...)

2. Use the auto-update feature to get the updated. Reboot when it says its neccessary.

3. When you reboot youll see your boot menu and it will say press a button to enter a custom command. Press a button.

4. Enter '-s' (without either ') and press Entere.

5. When its done doing a bunch of scary text stuff and is waiting for your input type the following:

/sbin/mount -uw/

6. Now type the following (this is assuming you simply dragged the FrameBuffer.kext to your desktop before:

sudo cp -r /Users/(Your username here)/Desktop/AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions

It will ask for your password.  Enter it.

7. Type exit and thats it. Your done! Youll now be booting into a Dell D620 that in every way acts just like a mac (except its single core only!)

Addendum:

"But Cali3350, i dual boot and HATE having to toggle single core/multi core in my bios every time i change OS's!"

Thats ok, we can fix that too! When your booted into your nice OSX installation, open up terminal (search for it in spotlight) and then enter the following code:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Find where it says:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

and change that to:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

And there, were done. Now go into your bios and select dual core mode and leave it there. Boot into OSX it will only use single core, any other OS has all cores open to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your step by step information. Have you tried to make a ghost image on a external usb hd. In case my hd crashes I would like to make a bootable hd. I have tried superduper or superdisk. carboncopy, synchronize x pro, timemachine. All tools will transfert files to the external hd but they all are unbootable. Any suggestion you have please let me know.

:hysterical:

the time machine and airport update worked successfully on my d620. just wanted to let everyone know after the main page post warned against installing it. i'm at kernel 9.2.2 right now.

Hi Everybody!

I really appreciate all your effort, you're doing a great job!

I've got one big problem left on my D620: I'm still unable to connect to the internet. I had my internal NIC allready recognised but there was no chance to get a connection. Since I'm a network administrator you can trust me I tried everything possible. Would you (Cali or jrp) please be so kind and attach your IONetworkFamily.kext and AppleBCM kexts?

My Dev ID is 1600

I've allready ordered a Belkin G+ Mimo but I dont think It will arrive in the next days because of easter holidays. And I would be glad to have two ways to connect to the internet *G*

Thanks again for all your really great work!

min3z