Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

If you're using an RW (as in, the same disk each time) it's likely scratched - but I dunno how else you can corrupt a disk. Try burning at like 2x, although it's suspicious if it's failing at precisely the same point every time.

i fixed that, but now when i try to reboot it just brings me back to the installer

You're saying it finished installing, and you're restarting back to the install screen? Did you take the disk out?

when i take the disk out it just says b0 error adn nothing happens

how do i make the partition map GUID mine defaults to the other one.

kombucha,

For my WiFi card, here is the info.

PCI\VEN_14E&DEV_4311

And here is my audio.

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690

Wow, now that I am back on Vista, I notice how much faster OSX boots and feels. I have not done any benchmarks though.

Well, back to OSX it is for me.

I also only see the only option there is Network Startup. But mine boot fine without the DVD.

Try booting from the DVD and once the menu appears, go to Tools (I think) and select Disk Utility, select your disk and click on Repair Disk Permissions. There are other ways to do this, but that is the way I prefer. Maybe because I am coming from windows. :(

Thanks for the info Dan... I misread your first post and thought you had the BroadCom ethernet (wired) card working, not the Dell 1490 (I may have to pick that up...)

Also, is there more to your soundcard's address? For instance, mine is the same as yours for what's there, but goes on:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801C2&REV_1022

kombucha,

The rest of the string does match. I did want to say, I am still have some audio issues like the others. Mute does not work and when I plug in headphones, the speakers do not mute. I think the issues are related.

creadivex,

Have you tried it from the DVD yet?

Bummer... those slight variations are unfortunate, since those with my card can't get any sound whatsoever. Damn you, Dell!

Thanks for the info, though! Good luck getting your own issues resolved - hopefully one day all D620s can unite in their functioning glory :thumbsup_anim:

Alas, I tried the two precise files you used for the sound card to no avail. It can't find ...in or ...out things (I forget what they are now). Ah well, I'll try Kalyway if things look good. Now I need to get my Wacom working... (which I guess is just to install drivers... once some internet works).

I'm probably being dumb as hell here, which is why I'm not starting a new thread, but the 3.5gb Kalyway zip extracts to a 386mb iso in Windows... do I have to burn with an existing OS X install? Is there some crazy compression going on that I should know about? Or perhaps just a file system difference? Should I actually be good to go with this seemingly-tiny iso? I booted off the disk but it wouldn't start beyond the "Press F8 blah blah" screen... what did you use for startup commands, Dan? Just "vanilla cpus=1"? None of those other crazy letters (x, v)?

I guess I'll try again tomorrow :)

I remember there were some issues with the filesize of my iso as well, but it burned anyways. When I booted from the cd, I used only the vanilla option. You could also use -v vanilla, if you wanted to see what is loading. After the installation was complete and I was booting from my HD, thats when I used the cpus=1 option.

Did you burn it onto a DVD-R or a CD-R? I put it on a DVD-R even though it's so tiny... but how could OS X fit on a CD????Trying to start with -v, I see that it starts loading files and then goes back to the boot menu.Perhaps I'll start a new thread for support.

EDIT: Ah - it looks like it is an extraction issue. Apparently people had problems using WinZip, so I'll try IZArc or WinRAR.

EDIT2: Yep, testing with IZArc says that the ISO has a problem. {censored}.

EDIT3: StuffIt Expander for Windows saves the day! A full-fledged 4.37gb ISO! Very bizarre.

{censored}, no luck. Are you sure those are the two files you used, Dan? I'm using exactly the same ones (Sigmatel9200.txt, v1.20) and here's where I get to:

Patching AppleHDA.kext to 0x83847690 Done

* Checking AppleHDA for patch Done

0001f4a7 cmpl $0x83847690,%eax

0002058b cmpl $0x83847690,%eax

* Checking for SPDIF Out Not Detected

* Checking for SPDIF In Not Detected

If you look at the Sigmatel9200.txt file, it references a different PCI address than I have. Therefore, I found a codec dump with my address (Stac9200-h.txt) but I get precisely the same error.

That said, I now have Kalyway installed instead of Uphuck, if that means anything, so at least we're fully on the same page. And installing my Wacom tablet could not have been easier. Thumbs up. But I need sound working before I invest in a wifi card.

Also, lol at censoring.

Hmm... I accidentally used GUID earlier today and just reinstalled as MBR to fix it... so maybe just take half an hour and reinstall it, choosing GUID in the installation options (which is default, I believe)...

There's probably a better way to do it, but this way is very easy.

Hmm... I accidentally used GUID earlier today and just reinstalled as MBR to fix it... so maybe just take half an hour and reinstall it, choosing GUID in the installation options (which is default, I believe)...

There's probably a better way to do it, but this way is very easy.

what exactly happened when you used mbr instead of guid.

i had guid installed before and now i have mbr, and with both of them i was missing a bootloader.

it says that my hard drive is configured as mbr in the disk utility, but when i install the mbr bootloader i still need the disk to boot.

i think that if i change the partition map to guid and install the guid bootloader it will work, but i dont know how to change the partition map to guid.

Here's what I do, if it helps.

I install Leopard with MBR, and then I install GRUB to MBR on top of it. GRUB then points to my Windows XP install as well as my Leopard install; it is the bootloader that points to Windows' bootloader and Leopard's bootloader. It works like a charm, let me know if you need further details if you want to give it a try.

Here's what I do, if it helps.

I install Leopard with MBR, and then I install GRUB to MBR on top of it. GRUB then points to my Windows XP install as well as my Leopard install; it is the bootloader that points to Windows' bootloader and Leopard's bootloader. It works like a charm, let me know if you need further details if you want to give it a try.

well... the problem im having is that i dont have any bootloader for either mbr or guid. im not dual booting with windows or linux. and when i boot up i just get a blinking line in the top left of the screen

You can still try installing GRUB, and just using it to boot OSX.

The menu.1st file entry would be something like

rootnoverify (hda0,0)

chainloader +1

boot

where can i find a copy of GRUB. i used to use it when i used linux, but it was included in the distribution.