Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

It's been a while, but last night I finally got my D620 to run Retail Vanilla 10.5.6, including native 1280x800 QE/CI, Signmatel 9200 sound, Dell Bluetooth, Dell Wireless 1390, dual core, battery and hibernate. The only thing I havent tested or investigated yet is clamshell, and strangely enough sleep doesnt work (returns to black screen), although hibernate works perfectly.

I'll shortly detail exactly how I did it while it is still fresh in memory, but I am by no means an expert :(

Hey Quinten, I (and possibly others) would love to know the path you've followed, any (even) raw notes you could post ?

Thanks,

Hey guys, i read all the posts on these forums concerning install of 10.5.6 mostly on D620

and i am very happy to announce that after 2 days of tinkering and milions of noobish mistakes its finally installed.

the only thing is left is to make the internal mouse and keyboayd work

edit: well i installed some pks to enable the internal touchpad and keyboard but not i got the boot0 : error read up on that then got the boot0: MBR and boot0: done errors

read up on that tried to fixmbr with windows disk and now all i am getting is a black screen without any boot loaders running ;)

any tips wud be apreciated

Hey guys, i read all the posts on these forums concerning install of 10.5.6 mostly on D620

and i am very happy to announce that after 2 days of tinkering and milions of noobish mistakes its finally installed.

the only thing is left is to make the internal mouse and keyboayd work

edit: well i installed some pks to enable the internal touchpad and keyboard but not i got the boot0 : error read up on that then got the boot0: MBR and boot0: done errors

read up on that tried to fixmbr with windows disk and now all i am getting is a black screen without any boot loaders running ;)

any tips wud be apreciated

I tried installing iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 on my Dell D620 - although the initial installation went without any issues, upon reboot, I received the frustrating "Still waiting for root device" error. I am at a loss on what to do! If anyone has encountered this and has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Mark

After a couple of months of frustration, I was finally able to apply the 10.5.6 combo patch to my D620 with the help of the PS2 kexts and the Voodoo kernel. I still need to do some tweaking but for the most part, it is running pretty well.

I am having an issue regarding password-protecting my PC. Although I have "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" checked under System Preferences -> Security, when I hit a key or move my mouse while my screensaver is running, the password screen does not appear and I have access to my system. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so, what was done to resolve it? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Dell D620/2.16 Core2DUO/Nvidia/Dell Wireless/Kalyway patched to 10.5.6

Maybe the old version 10.4.8 work fine on D620 ? and the newest version 10.5.6 is poor on it?

I have JaS 10.4.8 working perfectly on a Latitude D620 (dual-booting with Windows XP).

I've attached a copy of my notes from the install. Hopefully they will help you.

When doing the install, choose the bare minimum (I just chose the Intel SSE packages and the print drivers). DO NOT install any other drivers (video, sound, etc.).

When the install is done and the computer reboots, go into your Bios settings and change the value for the number of processors to 1. Otherwise, you'll get some funky mouse and window behavior.

After the install, I installed the Titan video kext files (replaced the standard device ID with my device ID) and now I have a working D620 Hackintosh with full 1440x900 resolution! See: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Titan I have the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M video card.

As for ethernet...I had to purchase a D-Link DWL-122 Rev B USB adapter because the internal wireless and ethernet adapters aren't supported yet. The DWL-122 works great!

I don't have sound working yet - mostly because I don't really care. :unsure:

Thanks for your article.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally figured out sleep. You have to set the bios to compatible rather than perfomance which limits me to usb 1.1 but that's okay, I don't use many usb storage devices anyways. The only thing I ever really plug in is a mouse. That was the last thing that was bugging me about the D620, everything works the way I want it to now including ethernet.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally figured out sleep. You have to set the bios to compatible rather than perfomance which limits me to usb 1.1

Not necessarily.

If you got BIOS v.A10 (don't know about other versions) – just disable "Wake by USB event" or something like that under the Power Management section.

This will do the trick and you don't need to "downgrade" to USB1.1.

:P

I am having an issue regarding password-protecting my PC. Although I have "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" checked under System Preferences -> Security, when I hit a key or move my mouse while my screensaver is running, the password screen does not appear and I have access to my system. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so, what was done to resolve it? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Something like that is here. Except that i use the UPEK Protector Suite for fingerprint authentication.

And sometimes this works as it should. The other time – don't...

I have no idea on how to resolve this.

Tried to reinstall Upek's soft. Sometimes it helped.

:D

I've recently tried to get 10.5.5 working on Dell D620 with Intel GMA950 Integrated Video and get black screen after restart. Thus I lurked in the web for a possible solution and get to the following working one (iAtkos 10.5.5 or iDeneb 10.5.5):

1. after restart go in single user mode (boot: -s)

2. mount the root (/sbin/mount –um / )

3. Go in /System/Library/Extensions and delete :

[AppleIntelGMA950*, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and Natit.kext ] (use rm –r –v _dirname_ )

4. Restart will get you to the default SVGA 1024x768 mode

With Pacifist take (or download all these files attached to the post ):

- from the iDeneb 10.5.5 all AppleIntelGMA950*,

- from the iAtkos 10.5.2 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (there are 2 files – take the non-standard one)

- from the iAtkos 10.5.2 Natit.kext from the Intel 3100 package

With KextHelper install these 6 packages and restart.

If everything is ok you will get 1440x900 screed with all OpenGL extras.

I did this, and got a very distorted screen (see attachment) Is there any way to undo this? whenever I go to -s and redo the steps, it says it is read only. Thanks!

post-413210-1239997778_thumb.jpg

I did this, and got a very distorted screen (see attachment) Is there any way to undo this? whenever I go to -s and redo the steps, it says it is read only. Thanks!

I had the same issue with 10.5.6 PPF2 DVD. I had to patch it to 10.5.6 PPF6 Final, boot with -x during installation. Additional installation instruction can be found here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...s#Latitude_D620

I had the same issue with 10.5.6 PPF2 DVD. I had to patch it to 10.5.6 PPF6 Final, boot with -x during installation. Additional installation instruction can be found here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...s#Latitude_D620

Thanks! Actually i figured out what my problem was, or what made it easier. I had mixed up my Kalyway and MSI Wind Slipstream DVDs and used the MSI one I had leftover from my Mini 9 installation. Used Kalyway and everything is up and running except for LAN. I have no idea what my lan card is right now because this computer has been dead until i decided to revive it with OS X. Thanks, though!

I've recently tried to get 10.5.5 working on Dell D620 with Intel GMA950 Integrated Video and get black screen after restart. Thus I lurked in the web for a possible solution and get to the following working one (iAtkos 10.5.5 or iDeneb 10.5.5):

1. after restart go in single user mode (boot: -s)

2. mount the root (/sbin/mount –um / )

3. Go in /System/Library/Extensions and delete :

[AppleIntelGMA950*, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and Natit.kext ] (use rm –r –v _dirname_ )

4. Restart will get you to the default SVGA 1024x768 mode

With Pacifist take (or download all these files attached to the post ):

- from the iDeneb 10.5.5 all AppleIntelGMA950*,

- from the iAtkos 10.5.2 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (there are 2 files – take the non-standard one)

- from the iAtkos 10.5.2 Natit.kext from the Intel 3100 package

With KextHelper install these 6 packages and restart.

If everything is ok you will get 1440x900 screed with all OpenGL extras.

My new project is a Dell Latitude D420 which is the exact same hardware as a D620 but the D420 is MacBook Air sized. My problem with the D420 is I have used your suggested intel 950 kext package from the zip provided on this thread and they work great even with resume from sleep (with the bios password) but I have tiny graphics corputions in the finder window, nothing major but I would still like to sort this out if possible.

Does any one know what kext I should be using? How about the one included in OSxTools or is there one in the Dell Post installer 1.4? Or does anyone have a better kext to use?

Also anyone know a way round not needing the bios password for resume from sleep?

Im not having such a great time with iPC 10.5.6 so far. When I ran the dell post installer i installed all the powermanagement bundles. But when I rebooted my battery icon was still not showing. Then I ejected my usb without safely removing it, and after that the usb mount would no longer work.

I got 10.5.6 iDeneb 1.4 up and going the other night on my D620, dual boot with XP Pro.

Battery meter worked with the option ticked at install, Nvidia graphics works with all functions (NVkush). Sound working fine, Wireless works as i switched out the Intel card for a DELL 1490. Both cores work fine straight after install (using Voodo Kernel). Have not tested sleep yet or bothered to get the Wired ethernet working but not really too fussed about that.

The iDeneb 1.4 seems to be the best distro I have found so far, took me 6 installs to get right because of dual boot but now its works like a charm.

@ optimal there is a thread regarding USB issues with older USB kexts loaded with a newer Kernel, do a search and see if that fix helps you.

I got 10.5.6 iDeneb 1.4 up and going the other night on my D620, dual boot with XP Pro.

Battery meter worked with the option ticked at install, Nvidia graphics works with all functions (NVkush). Sound working fine, Wireless works as i switched out the Intel card for a DELL 1490. Both cores work fine straight after install (using Voodo Kernel). Have not tested sleep yet or bothered to get the Wired ethernet working but not really too fussed about that.

The iDeneb 1.4 seems to be the best distro I have found so far, took me 6 installs to get right because of dual boot but now its works like a charm.

@ optimal there is a thread regarding USB issues with older USB kexts loaded with a newer Kernel, do a search and see if that fix helps you.

yeah im finding that my system.kext is actually 9.6.0 and my kernel version is 9.5.0 , thats why my usb isn't working. So is there anyway of getting a 9.5.0 system.kext? also anyone have shutdown working, i selected shutdown/restart fix during dvd installation option but it didnt do anything.

yeah im finding that my system.kext is actually 9.6.0 and my kernel version is 9.5.0 , thats why my usb isn't working. So is there anyway of getting a 9.5.0 system.kext? also anyone have shutdown working, i selected shutdown/restart fix during dvd installation option but it didnt do anything.

Yeah im not too sure to be honest, I had troubles with 10.5.2 and there was a thread with a downloadable fix and full instructions. I would suggest hunting in the USB threads and talking to the guys that are creating the fixes.

The other option is grab a copy of the iDeneb 10.5.6 distro as this seems to be the better one out there at the moment. All the options are there to do a decent install without all the hassles of patching stuff later.

My shutdown/restart all works perfectly.

Yeah im not too sure to be honest, I had troubles with 10.5.2 and there was a thread with a downloadable fix and full instructions. I would suggest hunting in the USB threads and talking to the guys that are creating the fixes.

The other option is grab a copy of the iDeneb 10.5.6 distro as this seems to be the better one out there at the moment. All the options are there to do a decent install without all the hassles of patching stuff later.

My shutdown/restart all works perfectly.

Has any progress been made on using a Retail DVD to install onto the D620?

@Advokit: Ok, i got ideneb 10.5.6 v. 1.4 and im trying to install it, but i cant. Its getting pretty annoying i've tryed installing it 4-5 times without trying to a dual boot as well. Can you tell me which options u selected at installation. After installation, there's this no entry sign or something at the apple boot logo. I attached a picture when i boot with -v

post-179710-1241893942_thumb.jpg

@Advokit: Ok, i got ideneb 10.5.6 v. 1.4 and im trying to install it, but i cant. Its getting pretty annoying i've tryed installing it 4-5 times without trying to a dual boot as well. Can you tell me which options u selected at installation. After installation, there's this no entry sign or something at the apple boot logo. I attached a picture when i boot with -v

Ill have a look at the options I chose at install.

I basically followed the guide on the Wiki for Dell D620. But didnt require the DELL post installer with this one.

Ill try and get a full run down on my install asap for you.