Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

i got a dell d420 which is pretty similiar to the 620 and i got everything working except wake from sleep. ok, i didn't test the modem and the cardreader.....but i dont need them. i've read in another thread, that someone got sleep/speedstep/both cores working on a d620....i'd love to know the solution for the sleep problem.

i got a dell d420 which is pretty similiar to the 620 and i got everything working except wake from sleep. ok, i didn't test the modem and the cardreader.....but i dont need them. i've read in another thread, that someone got sleep/speedstep/both cores working on a d620....i'd love to know the solution for the sleep problem.

On my D620 I had to setup BOOT Password in BIOS. When waking up from sleep the BIOS prompts for a password (thereby initializing the display), once password is entered, OSX wakes without any issues.

The problem with sleep is because of the 9200 sound hack. I've used the sleepwake fix (click here for fix) and you need to cp the file not MV as the note tells you else you'll have permissions errors.

On my D620 it locks up as soon as the screen turns off. with the sleepwake fix it works but I get bluescreen flicking every 5 mins or so, plus when the screen goes to sleep and the sleepwake fix kicks.

I hope some of this makes sense to you guys.

On my D620 I had to setup BOOT Password in BIOS. When waking up from sleep the BIOS prompts for a password (thereby initializing the display), once password is entered, OSX wakes without any issues.

I have to agree with u GUJAL... when i placed a password in bios this allowed the display to initialize and then wake sleep properly...... if u want the display to wake when u close the lid... then u must install the clamshell kext from the "Dell Laptops Post Installer" and now u will almost have a perfect working hackintosh.....except that u will have to enter the password when waking from sleep.....

@jabbaranks and GUJAL

What happens when your screen turns off but the system does not go to sleep. Does it turn back on OK? Mine won't even with a bios password. The bios password will work for sleep but not the screen turning off.

You see, in the energy saver preferences, screen sleep and system sleep can be set for 2 difference times.

Also all you guys who say it works with a BIOS password are you using an Intel video card?

That is brilliant. Works like a charm for me. Horray sleep fix!

Well I did the GMA950 fix on the Dell Post Installation Installer and it fixed the tearing. I think I have a perfect install now.

I just installed 10.5.5 on my Dell D620 with iDeneb v1.3. It is some what smooth however I have the following issues:

** No wireless - Fix: I've ordered a Broadcom 1390 card (currently I have the Intel)

** Bad video card drivers - I've installed the Intel drivers from the Dell post installer and I still can't get QE/CI so I'm stuck with one monitor @ 1024x768. I could use help with a proper driver. Heck I can't even see the cursor on the screen. I definitely need a different .kext for this.

** No sound - Same thing, I ran the Sigmatel 9200 fix and currently I still have no sound.

** No ethernet - Haven't found anything regarding this. Not that critical as I will have my wireless card by Tuesday, however fixing it would be a good thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Some pluses are that I am running on both cores, It seems to resume from sleep without a problem, and battery management works perfectly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

-Evo-

I tried installing iDeneb a few times and had no luck. Would just boot to a black screen, even when I hooked up a monitor. Leo4all is the best dist. I have found thus far.

If you have the GA950 vid card then iDENEB does not have the right kexts for this laptop... if you have a thumbdrive then what u can do is get the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from Tiger or Kalyway 10.5.2 and save to the thumbdrive.... then after your install is finished boot from the cd and enter Terminal and go to \your drive name\System\Library\Extensions\

rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

then go to your thumbdrive and copy the file to your extensions folder....

cp -R AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext \your drive name\System\Library\Extensions\

go back to your extensions folder and delete kextcache

rm extensions.mkext kextcache

exit and reboot with -v -x

and there you have it

I spend 30 minutes trying to find out how to cd into my flash drive. I finally came up with the idea to put in my leo4all disc and copy AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext right from there and it worked like a charm!!! Actually I think the graphics are better? Maybe it is the background. Thanks. I will try this dist. for awhile.

Hey guys I have been trying to get my d620 to run leopard and so far i have it up and running but I can not get my wireless to work. I have tried with some patches I saw on here. I thought I have the broadcam wireless but anyone got an idea to help me out?

piker28: Which dist. did you go with? What does your wireless card say in your Bios?

I have tried iDeneb 10.5.5, Leo4all 10.5.2/10.5.5, and iATKOS 4.1 and decided that Leo4all 10.5.2 is the best dist. for me. It runs with any tearing, Microsoft Word runs without artifacts. Seems to be pretty much perfect for me.

Seems I have the Dell wireless card in my D620. I used the Kalyway iso to load up leopard on the laptop. for the most part it seems to be working fine minus the wireless, some sort of battery indicator and having to set the cpus=1 everytime it loads

I am still experiencing sound problems with my D620. The sound works ok but some of the sound features are missing.

Working: Internal speakers, internal mic, headphones

Not Working: Line in, speaker shut off when headphones plugged in

The most annoying for me is the headphone not canceling the internal speakers. Has anyone gotten this to work? I would even take the hit and just disable the internal speakers all together if the headphones still worked.

I used iAtkos v.4i (10.5.4). I have the wireless working (Dell) and no artifacts.

Let me know if you have any questions for me. Sound experts... HELP ME :rolleyes:

I am still experiencing sound problems with my D620. The sound works ok but some of the sound features are missing.

Working: Internal speakers, internal mic, headphones

Not Working: Line in, speaker shut off when headphones plugged in

The most annoying for me is the headphone not canceling the internal speakers. Has anyone gotten this to work? I would even take the hit and just disable the internal speakers all together if the headphones still worked.

I used iAtkos v.4i (10.5.4). I have the wireless working (Dell) and no artifacts.

Let me know if you have any questions for me. Sound experts... HELP ME :P

I have the speakers internal speakers turning off when I plug in the headphones with the Dell post installer 1.3.0 (not 1.3.1)

Seems I have the Dell wireless card in my D620. I used the Kalyway iso to load up leopard on the laptop. for the most part it seems to be working fine minus the wireless, some sort of battery indicator and having to set the cpus=1 everytime it loads

there is a fix in the post dell installer 1.3.1 for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Dell D620 (Kalyway 10.5.5 / Nvidia / Dell Wireless and Bluetooth). For the most part it is working well, but I can not get the Bluetooth module to be recognized. I installed chunnan PCMCIA kext and I get the following message during boot: "BTCoexistence feature not supported!"

If anyone has seen this and has a fix, please let me know. I have a few other issues as well (sleep and poweroff after shutdown), but will deal with them later. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

I am succeed install mac Leopard OSX 10 with iATKOS v1.0i in my first try wif my D620.

My D620 spec:

Intel Core 2 duo 1.83ghz

2gb 667 RAM

100gb HDD

Intel GMA945

But....I had problem wif the sound card and the network hardware.

My internal speaker cannot work.

In addition, my internal intel wireless network card cannot work.

The speed is very slow.

mmm....others work perfectly.

This is my experience by using D620.

By the way I would like to hav the patch for the sound and network, Thanx!! ^ ^