Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

Hey jrp,

I have tried the patch even with the newest patcher for Leopard but can't get sound.

Have you checked that you have SigmaTel 9200 and not a different Sigmatel ?

For the broadcom it looks like there is no solution for the moment. I bought a D-link usb adaptor today which is working fine.

mihai

I have also been playing around with the cpus=1 issue. I still have not had any luck with getting the second core enabled.

On a side note, my mute button does not work (it coincides with a previous post I read earlier). I used the Stac9200-h.txt (this txt file had the same dev id as my device) and AppleHDAPatcher v1.16. Is anyone having the same problem with the mute button?

Is anyone running 10.5.1 with the vanilla kernel and have external USB drives working correctly? I could not get it to work so I went back to the newest ToH kernel.

Now, other than the second core issue, sleep mode and the Broadcom 5752 NIC not functioning, everything else is GREAT!

Hey all,

I did a reinstall tonight and was able to get rid of the -legacy flag. So, now I am running with the mach_toh kernel and the cpus=1 flag.

On another Latitude D620 that I was working on tonight, it would run using the vanilla kernel. I couldn't get the vanilla kernel to run on my laptop. After the 10.5.1 update, it would get stuck on the grey screen with the spinner eternally making its rounds. The only differences between the two Latitude D620's are the CPU (Core 2 Duo vs. Core Duo) and Biometric Scanner (mine has one / the other laptop does not).

I hope this information helps our cause. I have access to more Latitude D620s... ones with Intel GMA graphics chips in them as well. If there is something you would like me to test, let me know.

Mihai,

Thanks for the reminder. I am running v5.2 of EFI on both of the machines. It is a very strange problem. Both were configured exactly the same but one fails while the other succeeds. I am not complaining, though. It runs great with the latest ToH kernel. I think I will try to swap out the touchpad plastic with one that doesn't have a biometric processor to see if it makes a difference.

I figured out what was causing the irregular behavior between the two Latitude D620's I have been working with. It turns out that the dsmos.kext used affected the use of the vanilla kernel. I reinstalled Leopard using the dsmos.kext dated October 31, 2007 9:12pm, and the system is now working with the vanilla kernel.

I have also been able to fix the sleep issue!!! I found a solution on this thread which fixes sleeping! I am able to put the laptop to sleep and wake it up with no problem!

To enable sleep, type the following in Terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

The thread mentions that once you have made this change, do not mess with the 'Custom' settings; otherwise, it will cause Sleep to stop working.

jrp, thanks for the link. On to one of the last remaining problems... ethernet!

I figured out what was causing the irregular behavior between the two Latitude D620's I have been working with. It turns out that the dsmos.kext used affected the use of the vanilla kernel. I reinstalled Leopard using the dsmos.kext dated October 31, 2007 9:12pm, and the system is now working with the vanilla kernel.

I have also been able to fix the sleep issue!!! I found a solution on this thread which fixes sleeping! I am able to put the laptop to sleep and wake it up with no problem!

The thread mentions that once you have made this change, do not mess with the 'Custom' settings; otherwise, it will cause Sleep to stop working.

I see you have the same network card as me a 5752. Did yiu get it to work with jrp solution ? If yes doesn't it make leo crash. i once got it to work for 2 sec and it crashed.

Mihai

Hello Mihai,

It is not working for me, either. There was a way to change the DHCP settings in Terminal. It is also in that thread, but the crash still happens.

Here is another question for you... I remember seeing a thread where people were saying that the Mute button on the D620's do not work (it will say that the sound is muted, but sound continues to play from the speaker). I am having this issue. Are you having this same problem with the mute button?

I tried that command and the laptop will go to sleep but won't wake up again. i get this error when typing in the command: "Error 0xe00002c9 writing customized power profiles to disk"

any suggestions? sleep would be nice...i do use it all the time...

i'm going to play around with the bios a little to see if i can get 2 cpus going.

and yeah, mute button isn't working here either...bummer

jrp,

What versions of the following kexts are you running? I don't know if all of them will make a difference, but it would be good to know. I am providing you with mine below:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (1.0.3)

AppleEFIRuntime.kext (1.1.0)

AppleThermal.kext (1.0.1)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (1.0.12)

dsmos.kext (No way to check version... but I found that the one I am using from Oct. 31 works the best. Other ones that I tried would say I was using a Mac Pro in System Profiler, but they required me to use a modified kernel. To me, using a vanilla kernel was better than having it say Mac Pro. :D )

What kernel flags are you using to start the system?

I tried that command and the laptop will go to sleep but won't wake up again. i get this error when typing in the command: "Error 0xe00002c9 writing customized power profiles to disk"

any suggestions? sleep would be nice...i do use it all the time...

i'm going to play around with the bios a little to see if i can get 2 cpus going.

and yeah, mute button isn't working here either...bummer

jrp, I found the problem. Are you by chance using the battery indicator hack with the updated PowerManagement.bundle? I tried loading that on my laptop and running command, and it returned the same "Error 0xe00002c9". I am going to revert back to the original PowerManagement.bundle.

jrp,

What versions of the following kexts are you running? I don't know if all of them will make a difference, but it would be good to know. I am providing you with mine below:

AppleEFIRuntime.kext (1.1.0)

AppleThermal.kext (1.0.1)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (1.0.12)

dsmos.kext (No way to check version... but I found that the one I am using from Oct. 31 works the best. Other ones that I tried would say I was using a Mac Pro in System Profiler, but they required me to use a modified kernel. To me, using a vanilla kernel was better than having it say Mac Pro. :( )

What kernel flags are you using to start the system?

The PowerMangement.bundle didn't help when I reverted it. I checked for the kexts you mentioned and this is what I found: The error is gone though.

AppleEFIRuntime.kext can't find

AppleThermal.kext can't find

AppleSMBIOS.kext (1.0.1)

dsmos.kext is 1.0.0d1 on 11/18/07

I think I'm running with the BrazilMac kernel still because when I updated to 10.5.1 I ran the PostPatch again to get my screen back. I'm also running this off an external hard drive (does that make a difference with sleep). My video card is Integrated too.

in addition i also tried disabling speedstep in the bios to see if i could boot with both cores. tried disabling multicore support, but that changes the system profiler to display "Intel Core Solo". Disabling multicore in the bios results in Processors: 1 and Cores: 1 as opposed to the cpus=1 flag which displays Intel Core Duo and Processors: 0 (bizarre) and Cores: 1

I'm assuming this dual core problem is a dell thing for some reason? any other suggestions/discoveries on this?

jrp,

I have an extra Latitude D620 that has integrated Intel video. I will install Leopard on it right now and let you know my results as soon as I am done.

I tried using the BrazilMac install method, but I have had much better success with the ToH release. I have been editing the BrazilMac script so it doesn't erase as many files. With the ToH release, I have not had to run a post patch on the install. I looked at the files that were being replaced with the BrazilMac scripts, and most of them do not really affect the Latitude D620. The main ones that do are the AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext.

As far as booting from an external drive, I don't see a huge problem with that. I have been doing that with Tiger, but not with Leopard (yet). It will be interesting to see if I can get sleep to work with the Intel video.

The CPU core issue seems to be a problem only with Dell machines. There just doesn't seem to be a way to enable both cores with OSX. The stuttering appears to be an IRQ conflict or something similar. It is just my guess, and I could be WAY off. Maybe changing some of the other BIOS settings will help.

Anyway, I will let you know about the Intel integrated install shortly.

Later!

The PowerMangement.bundle didn't help when I reverted it. I checked for the kexts you mentioned and this is what I found: The error is gone though.

AppleEFIRuntime.kext can't find

AppleThermal.kext can't find

AppleSMBIOS.kext (1.0.1)

dsmos.kext is 1.0.0d1 on 11/18/07

I think I'm running with the BrazilMac kernel still because when I updated to 10.5.1 I ran the PostPatch again to get my screen back. I'm also running this off an external hard drive (does that make a difference with sleep). My video card is Integrated too.

jrp,

The Intel model that I tested had the same LCD wake issue. It would wake up from an LCD sleep, but screen would not wake up from stand by. I had to upgrade the BIOS to A08 to get the keyboard and mouse to work (it was on A02), and I had to replace AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext with an older version after I ran Software Update because the system would only boot into a black screen after the update. I did not update any other files after the upgrade to 10.5.1. The kext versions are the same as my previous post.

Here are the specs of the second machine:

Dell Latitude D620

Intel Core Duo T2300 @ 1.67 GHz

1 GB PC-5300 DDR2 SD-RAM

Intel GMA950 Integrated Video

Dell Wireless 1390

Broadcom NetXtreme 5752 NIC

If there is anything you would like to look at or work on together, let me know.

thanks for testing it out! the integrated d620 you have is pretty much my system. so i guess the sleep/wake issue is a video card issue. i'm experiencing some minor graphics tearing too. it sounds like the sleep/wake and sometimes tearing graphics is a gma 950 issue that seems quite dell specific based on another thread i was looking at. maybe there will be a compatible IntelIntegratedFrameBuffer in the future? i hope so...

i'll keep looking for resolutions to both these problems. i'm planning on dual booting xp and os x in a couple weeks so i don't need to use an external usb hard drive anymore.

jrp,

The Intel model that I tested had the same LCD wake issue. It would wake up from an LCD sleep, but screen would not wake up from stand by. I had to upgrade the BIOS to A08 to get the keyboard and mouse to work (it was on A02), and I had to replace AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext with an older version after I ran Software Update because the system would only boot into a black screen after the update. I did not update any other files after the upgrade to 10.5.1. The kext versions are the same as my previous post.

Here are the specs of the second machine:

Dell Latitude D620

Intel Core Duo T2300 @ 1.67 GHz

1 GB PC-5300 DDR2 SD-RAM

Intel GMA950 Integrated Video

Dell Wireless 1390

Broadcom NetXtreme 5752 NIC

If there is anything you would like to look at or work on together, let me know.

thanks for testing it out! the integrated d620 you have is pretty much my system. so i guess the sleep/wake issue is a video card issue. i'm experiencing some minor graphics tearing too. it sounds like the sleep/wake and sometimes tearing graphics is a gma 950 issue that seems quite dell specific based on another thread i was looking at. maybe there will be a compatible IntelIntegratedFrameBuffer in the future? i hope so...

i'll keep looking for resolutions to both these problems. i'm planning on dual booting xp and os x in a couple weeks so i don't need to use an external usb hard drive anymore.

jrp,

I have read the same things about mouse tearing and artifacts. What version of the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext are you using? I was playing around with the other laptop for a bit, and I didn't see any tearing or mouse anomolies. Granted, I only spent about 2 hours on the laptop, but the system seemed to work great with the exception of the aforementioned. I played with all sorts of BIOS settings, but it didn't seem to help the CPU "hiccups". Oh well...

jrp,

I have read the same things about mouse tearing and artifacts. What version of the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext are you using? I was playing around with the other laptop for a bit, and I didn't see any tearing or mouse anomolies. Granted, I only spent about 2 hours on the laptop, but the system seemed to work great with the exception of the aforementioned. I played with all sorts of BIOS settings, but it didn't seem to help the CPU "hiccups". Oh well...

I have version 1.4.20. If you have a different version can you send it to me? I usually get the tearing just below the apple logo in the top left of leopard.

also, i just installed ilife 08 and i'm having problems loading imovie 08 and viewing dvd menus in iDVD. has anyone tried ilife 08 on the d620?

EDIT: nevermind. software update fixed the problem! ilife is solid!

The CPU core issue seems to be a problem only with Dell machines. There just doesn't seem to be a way to enable both cores with OSX. The stuttering appears to be an IRQ conflict or something similar. It is just my guess, and I could be WAY off. Maybe changing some of the other BIOS settings will help.

another thread mentions a kernel flag "idlehalt=0" that might fix the dual core problem. i'm going to try that shortly...

I have version 1.4.20. If you have a different version can you send it to me? I usually get the tearing just below the apple logo in the top left of leopard.

jrp,

I am also using 1.4.20 and do not have the tearing at all. The full version number is 1.4.20.28. Maybe it is a kext that was replaced when you ran the BrazilMac post-install patch. I should send you my installation method to see if there are any differences. I will PM you a couple of questions.