Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

@Mark Rose got 10.5.6 Dell d620 with Nivida GFX working fine.

I suggest you try ideneb 10.5.5 (nforce patch) then 1.3.1 dell post installer.

You need to apply the keyboard and mouse patch using a usb mouse and keyboard but at present I'm on 10.5.6 without any problems.

Thanks Tom

I ran into this same issue when installing on one of my D620. Try the following:

- Install using Kalyway 10.5.2 installation DVD. The other distros may work as well, but have not some much with them.

- When it asks for you to reboot, reboot but press <F8> when you get the Darwin prompt.

- Type -s to boot into singleuser mode

- Type fsck -fy

- Type mount -uw /

- Type ./movevideodrivers and answer yes fro all options

- Type halt when done

- Power back on to complete installation

I hope this helps.

Mark

Mark following your instructions I get to the step where you instruct to type ./movevideodrivers and I get "no such file or directories.. Does the "." signify a directory? Forgive my ignorance, I am completly new to this and I am self taught...

Mark following your instructions I get to the step where you instruct to type ./movevideodrivers and I get "no such file or directories.. Does the "." signify a directory? Forgive my ignorance, I am completly new to this and I am self taught...

Which distribution are you using? I am not sure if the movevideodrivers script is available on the others. The dot references the current directory - in you case, it is root (/). I hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I am trying iatkos 10.5.5, was to lazy to dl the other one. Is there anyway to make this one work? If so that would be great. Thanks again for trying to help.

I am not sure. One thing you can try doing is to remove the video kexts located in /System/Library/Extensions.

Mark

@Mark Rose got 10.5.6 Dell d620 with Nivida GFX working fine.

I suggest you try ideneb 10.5.5 (nforce patch) then 1.3.1 dell post installer.

You need to apply the keyboard and mouse patch using a usb mouse and keyboard but at present I'm on 10.5.6 without any problems.

Thanks Tom

I tried installed iDeneb 10.5.5 on one of my spare drives and I can not get it to boot. I did not apply the nforce patch, which may have been my issue. Where can I get the patch? I will try installing it again again over the weekend.

Mark

@ Mark

"I'm a completely new to the hackintosh so I'm going to update this post as I go along in an attempt to help others. The information seems to be scattered everywhere...

1. I was able to get iDeneb (1.3/10.5.5 + nForce patch) installed and around the "Waiting for Root Device" problem by using the following options:

Patches > Chipset > ICHx Fixed

Patches > Fix > PowerManagement

Patches > Video > NVidia > NVKush

2. Next I downloaded the application from this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

To get my sound card working (including mute + mute with headphones), the second core, and the ability to install updates I installed the following:

Sound > Sigmatel 9200

Others > DualCore > 9.5 Kernel

Others > Safe Updates"

I followed this guide by glate and it got to 10.5.5 then did the 10.5.6 update (straight from apple) and did the kyboard/mouse kext hack (listed on this thread) with a USB keyboard and Mouse and every thing was good.

Good luck and let me know where you get to as I might be able to help you out.

I am not sure. One thing you can try doing is to remove the video kexts located in /System/Library/Extensions.

Mark

I tried installed iDeneb 10.5.5 on one of my spare drives and I can not get it to boot. I did not apply the nforce patch, which may have been my issue. Where can I get the patch? I will try installing it again again over the weekend.

Mark

I was able to get iDeneb installed with the 10.5.6 update on my work D620 (has GMA 945 Chipset). I also found the keyboard and mouse patch which installed without any issue. The only think left is getting my PCMCIA slot working again (the kexts I had worked for 10.5.5).

Has anyone run into this, and if so what steps did you take to fix it. Thanks!

Mark

First post, so be gentle ;)

I've just started on my OSX86 adventure on my D620 (GMA950), and am currently running 10.5.6 Vanilla using Munky's EFI boot with the following kexts:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

SMBIOSResolver.kext

I started off with the Retail DVD and a Dell Mini 9 version of the Boot-132 CD (it was just something I had left from installing OSX86 on my Dell Mini 9) which I had to copy to a USB HDD, so I could remove the AppleIntelGMA950* and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kexts, which cause the Blue->Black screen during startup. After that I was able to use the USB HDD to install to the D620. On 1st reboot, you again have to remove those kexts again, and then complete the registration, etc.

Then I followed Munky's instructions and used the above kexts on the EFI partition. Once I was able to boot into the GUI without problems, I then updated to 10.5.6 using the Software Update and on 1st reboot, remove once more the AppleIntelGMA950* and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kexts.

This is where I am currently at. I am able to boot into the GUI, but the resolution is a poor 1024 x 768, with no QE. I've tried loads of alternative kexts for those that are moved away, but none work.

Bluetooth (Dell Wireless 350) and Wireless (Dell 1390) are working fine without any changed to vanilla kexts. I haven't started to look at sound, speedstep, etc yet... all I want is the native resolution again :D

Has anyone out there upgraded to 10.5.6 on their D620 with the Kalyway install running the mach kernel? Every time I tried, I would get the "Still waiting for root device" error. I would like to know if there is something different I need to do based on my hardware (Dell D620 2.16Ghz Core2Duo / Nvidia / Dell Wireless / Kalyway upgraded to 10.5.5). Thanks!

Mark

Also, with my Dell, although I have "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" checked under System Preferences -> Security, when I hit a key or move my mouse while my screensaver is running, the password screen does not appear and I have access to my system. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so, what was done to resolve it?

Thanks!

Mark

Hi!

I have got 10.5.6 OSX to work on my DELL D620, after install i have used the Dell 1.41 patches to get the graphic and dualcore etc to work.

However, I have one problem I cant seem to get working and that is the internal keyboard and the touchpad mouse to work? I have used external keyboard and mouse and that works just fine but I want to use OSX on the go ;)

I have tried some ApplePS2...kext and stuff but nothing seems to work? :-/ Or do i need to make some changes when adding kext to the system extension library etc?

//Peter

franzen...

that's weird, i'm using the keyboard and trackpad on my D620 right now (typing it on laptop keyboard).

10.5.6 installed my GMA950 and used the old framebuffer that's included on the install...

the only thing that didn't work for me was the audio....

I've recently tried to get 10.5.5 working on Dell D620 with Intel GMA950 Integrated Video and get black screen after restart. Thus I lurked in the web for a possible solution and get to the following working one (iAtkos 10.5.5 or iDeneb 10.5.5):

1. after restart go in single user mode (boot: -s)

2. mount the root (/sbin/mount –um / )

3. Go in /System/Library/Extensions and delete :

[AppleIntelGMA950*, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and Natit.kext ] (use rm –r –v _dirname_ )

4. Restart will get you to the default SVGA 1024x768 mode

With Pacifist take (or download all these files attached to the post ):

- from the iDeneb 10.5.5 all AppleIntelGMA950*,

- from the iAtkos 10.5.2 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (there are 2 files – take the non-standard one)

- from the iAtkos 10.5.2 Natit.kext from the Intel 3100 package

With KextHelper install these 6 packages and restart.

If everything is ok you will get 1440x900 screed with all OpenGL extras.

D620_IntelGMA950Drv.rar

• 2 weeks later...
franzen...

that's weird, i'm using the keyboard and trackpad on my D620 right now (typing it on laptop keyboard).

10.5.6 installed my GMA950 and used the old framebuffer that's included on the install...

the only thing that didn't work for me was the audio....

Hi again!

I somehow f*ked up my OSX install so i reinstalled everything again and applied the patches from the Dell 1.4 installer one by one and it worked fine! Now Mouse and Keyboard are working perfect :unsure: Need to fix the batterymeter and sound, but I will need to read more on how to fix that.

But what I would like to know if its possible to get the Wireless Intel card to work? Or /And is it possible to get the ethernet Broadcom 57xx card to work?

Thanks! //Franzén

Hi again!

I somehow f*ked up my OSX install so i reinstalled everything again and applied the patches from the Dell 1.4 installer one by one and it worked fine! Now Mouse and Keyboard are working perfect :( Need to fix the batterymeter and sound, but I will need to read more on how to fix that.

But what I would like to know if its possible to get the Wireless Intel card to work? Or /And is it possible to get the ethernet Broadcom 57xx card to work?

Thanks! //Franzén

The Intel wireless card is a joke and is very poorly supported, your only option is to replace with a dell one from that famous auction site. The onboard nic can be made to work read this thread the fix is in here. Also battery and sound fixes here too.

The Intel wireless card is a joke and is very poorly supported, your only option is to replace with a dell one from that famous auction site. The onboard nic can be made to work read this thread the fix is in here. Also battery and sound fixes here too.

From what I have read here on the forum it seems like the Intel Wireless is {censored}, just ordered a Dell 1490 card instead hope it will work better!

I will search thru this thread for more info about the battery fix. Thanks!

It's been a while, but last night I finally got my D620 to run Retail Vanilla 10.5.6, including native 1280x800 QE/CI, Signmatel 9200 sound, Dell Bluetooth, Dell Wireless 1390, dual core, battery and hibernate. The only thing I havent tested or investigated yet is clamshell, and strangely enough sleep doesnt work (returns to black screen), although hibernate works perfectly.

I'll shortly detail exactly how I did it while it is still fresh in memory, but I am by no means an expert :)

Has anyone out there upgraded to 10.5.6 on their D620 with the Kalyway install running the mach kernel? Every time I tried, I would get the "Still waiting for root device" error. I would like to know if there is something different I need to do based on my hardware (Dell D620 2.16Ghz Core2Duo / Nvidia / Dell Wireless / Kalyway upgraded to 10.5.5). Thanks!

Also, with my Dell, although I have "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" checked under System Preferences -> Security, when I hit a key or move my mouse while my screensaver is running, the password screen does not appear and I have access to my system. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so, what was done to resolve it?

Thanks!

Mark

@ Mark Rose

Does your Nvidia based D620 laptop wake from sleep? If so what did you do to make it do this?

Since I blew it up again last night trying to install 10.5.6, I will have to retest it after I restore my disk.

Again, if anyone got 10.5.6 to install using Kalyway, please let me know!

Mark

Since I blew it up again last night trying to install 10.5.6, I will have to retest it after I restore my disk.

Again, if anyone got 10.5.6 to install using Kalyway, please let me know!

Mark

what are you using to create a backup of the mac? Do you think Norton Ghost would work? Or is there anything on the bootable MAC OS X installation CD that might work?

what are you using to create a backup of the mac? Do you think Norton Ghost would work? Or is there anything on the bootable MAC OS X installation CD that might work?

I connected a spare hard drive to my PC and booted off the installation DVD. Opened up the terminal and did a dd copy. To save on size, you can compress it.

Mark