[HOW TO] Convert Mac demos to full games

OMX-Knuckles

159 posts in this topic

OK, I've got one to report. Actually, it's pretty well documented: Neverwinter Nights. There are several threads devoted to it on the Bioware forums, here's a link to the one in particular which worked for me:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.ht...rum=71&sp=0

and here's the procedure:

Move the NWN install from PC to Mac. Most instructions specify a freshly-installed, unplayed version, but the previously played install worked for me.

Download the NWN Tech Demo. (macgamefiles.com)

Download all three 1.68 patches. (1 patch for the original, 1 patch for each of the expansions you have. This makes three because this specifically applies to the Platinum edition, this worked for me using the Gold edition.)

Apply all (up to) three patches. To do this correctly, download the patches, unpack them, and read the instructions in the RTF file that comes with them.

Very important: delete the nwn.ini file in your Mac directory.

Open the Neverwinter Tech Demo DMG file. From there, copy the contents of the "miles" directory (two level deep from the to top level) into the "miles" directory in your NWN directory. Copy the "Bink Carbon Library" to the top level of your NWN directory.

Double click on Neverwinter Nights to run the game.

I had no sound at first, this was due to the sampling rate being set at 96 kHz (Utilities-AudioMIDI Setup, set to 44.1).

I hacked at "Stubbs the Zombie", and I think I've gotten it to run, but it won't validate the CD. If I could find a no-CD patch, I could confirm this (and it would probably save on editing all the .plist files I had to).

Hey, what about 'Lego Star Wars?' I have the Windows version and a UB of the Mac version without all the files.

ok,

i tried all of the above for QUAKE 3--but all i get is a white screen, _or_ a small purple window and the response "user interface 3, expected 6".

what is the deal. i have been quake-less for years and now i am so close i can taste it. please advise so i can get to fragging on good friday.

-a.

Doom 3: Fully working :)

- Create a "Doom 3" folder

- Within "Doom 3" folder create this folders:

"base", "Doom3.app", "pb"

- Copy all pk4 files in "base"

- extract "Doom 3.app" from either NO-CD Patch or from 1.3 patch, if you don't have NO-CD Patch you can create a CD, CDRW, DVD or whatever with "DOOM 3", "Doom3" Label (not sure which one).

- extract *.mac files into your pb folder

Cannot get doom 3 to play this way. It says 'insert disc' everytime. I own the disc and it is in the drive but it doesn't do anything. I extracted doom3.app from Doom3Mac1.3.1RevA and put it in the doom 3 directory along with all of the pak files from the discs. What am I doing wrong?

Hi. I have Warcrfat 3 version for PC, demo version for Mac and patch 1.01b for mac. i install demo version, copy files from patch, and copy files from installed pc version. now i can play wc3. but... i don't no how i can upgrade new patch fnd i don't now how install wc3:tft.

Hi. I have Warcrfat 3 version for PC, demo version for Mac and patch 1.01b for mac. i install demo version, copy files from patch, and copy files from installed pc version. now i can play wc3. but... i don't no how i can upgrade new patch fnd i don't now how install wc3:tft.

Isn't WCIII compatible with PC and Mac? I thought all Blizzard games were.

I don't have Frozen Throne, but Reign of Chaos works on both platforms.

Isn't WCIII compatible with PC and Mac? I thought all Blizzard games were.

I don't have Frozen Throne, but Reign of Chaos works on both platforms.

it's very big file for me (not unlimited internet). the disk with Reign of Chaos don't have mac version. it's russian pack. full mac version size ~700mb.do you have patch 1.02- Reign of Chaos?

Cannot get doom 3 to play this way. It says 'insert disc' everytime. I own the disc and it is in the drive but it doesn't do anything. I extracted doom3.app from Doom3Mac1.3.1RevA and put it in the doom 3 directory along with all of the pak files from the discs. What am I doing wrong?

I can't get this going either.. Can anyone help out? I think the tutorial was written using an older patch.. Anyone know where to get this old patch?

thx,

tvo

Is there a way to convert the UT2004 demo to a Universal Binary without it asking for a CD-Key? I had a CD-Key for the Windows version but i've lost it. I mainly played ONS Torlan that is included in the demo, so the demo would be more than enough for me.

Is there a way to convert the UT2004 demo to a Universal Binary without it asking for a CD-Key? I had a CD-Key for the Windows version but i've lost it. I mainly played ONS Torlan that is included in the demo, so the demo would be more than enough for me.

Yes. Follow the original thread instructions from Don Luca up to the end of the first section:

Here is the step-by step procedure:

1. Download and Install the Demo (grab it at http://war-zone.sapo.pt/download.aspx?file...mo3334.dmg.bz2)

2. Download and Install the Patch (grab it at http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3...3369-2.dmg.bz2)

3. When you'll install the patch, it will tell you that it didn't find an installed version of UT2004. Force it, telling it where to install the patch (your UT2004 Demo Folder/package).

4. Create with a simple text editor a file named cdkey (with no extension) and put it in

Unreal Tournament 2004.app/System/cdkey

and write inside it your CDKey. Save and Close.

(((<<< NOW YOU HAVE A UB DEMO, NOT THE COMPLETE GAME>>>)))

Now follow these steps to make UT2004 full:

1. Now you can choose between these:

1a. By LAN: Access over your network to your PC, where you have installed your PC version of UT2004. Inside UT2004 folder, grab every folder and copy them over your Mac Installation.

1b. From your UT2004 CDs/DVD: put in your cds/dvd and copy every directory over your Mac Installation.

(((<<< NOW YOU HAVE UT2004 FULL AND UB >>>)))

EDIT: Hmm my mistake I just noticed that you need your cdkey for that part too... I guess you're kinda out of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this UT2004 trick supposed to work with the UT2004 Editor's Choice Edition too? Because that one is the only available Windows version and the Mac version is way to expensive and hard to get here.

Edit: it works, now I have no reason to use Windows. :)

Yep, I have the Editor's Choice and it works fine for me as well. AFAIK, the main difference is that it comes pre-patched to a newer version than the original retail and it has some extra maps as well as the second DVD with tutorials and whatnot.

Not quite on converting demos but also about converting PC stuff to Mac.

http://hosted.filefront.com/Pluto999/

Two dozens mods for Return to Castle Wolfenstein (TimeGate, Stalingrad, Project 51, ...), Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament 2004 (Red Orchestra + extra maps), Postal 2 (Eternal Damnation and Shtopor), Delta Force Black Hawk Dawn (Team Sabre) and Savage (Samurai Wars) all remade from original PC mods to standalone Mac OS X games so it won't be installation and launcher problems. Unreal Tournament 2004 Red Orchestra, Medal of Honor Europe in Fire, Postal 2 Eternal Damnation and Savage Samurai Wars have English versions, all others are Russian-only (most installers and ReadMe files are in English) but it won't be a big problem for those who are familiar with original games. Some mods were not compatible with Mac in original versions and were edited.

It is common practice in Ukraine and Russia to remake popular mod to standalone PC or Mac game to make a commercial product to be sold on the street.

If anybody is interested I can add more such stuff.

NOTES:

1. All games are in .dmg images. As FileFront site don't allow to upload files larger than 1 GB some of them are uploaded there as multi-segment Stuffit archives - download all 'parts', put them into one folder and start unstuffing with 'part01.sitx'.

2. If you don't understand Russian then simply download an English demo of original base game from http://www.macgamefiles.com/ to get familiar with menus. Most installers and ReadMe files are already in English.

• 2 weeks later...

With 10.4.8 jas and semthex kernel, I can play COD 2 @ 1440x900, 4xAA, AF, All details on max without dropping frames. It is literally butter smooth. Wow, what a difference it makes. Also, anybody know a way to open up console on COD 2, I can not /join the servers I want to because the bind command in the config file doesn't really work, I used the method described on this thread.

Damn it, how do I open the console on any of these ID Software games. D3, Q4 etc. ??? Nothing works.

• 2 weeks later...
Damn it, how do I open the console on any of these ID Software games. D3, Q4 etc. ??? Nothing works.

To bring down the console press: Ctrl + Option + ~ or alternatively add seta com_allowConsole "1" to your Doom/Quake config which will allow you to only press ~ when you need the console.

In COD 2 you can enable the console with a simple 'checkbox' in the game options.

Hi, Im new here, just trying to get Call of Duty 2 working on my iMac G5 and I'm having a bit of difficulty. What files is it exactly you need to get it to work and what folders should the files go in? Also, when I tried earlier I used a No-Cd Key patch and it wouldn't recognize the application itself. Any help will be greatly appreciated :lol: