[HOW TO] Convert Mac demos to full games

OMX-Knuckles

159 posts in this topic

Hi, Im new here, just trying to get Call of Duty 2 working on my iMac G5 and I'm having a bit of difficulty. What files is it exactly you need to get it to work and what folders should the files go in? Also, when I tried earlier I used a No-Cd Key patch and it wouldn't recognize the application itself. Any help will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

I only installed the Mac demo and copied the files from the "main" folder of the dvd to the "main" folder on the installation folder which is where most maps etc. are located. You would also need a mac "crack" for no-cd playing. None needed for multiplayer gaming only.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I didn't see Unreal Tournament (original 1999 version) listed, I thought I'd post that to get it to work, all you have to do is copy your installed Windows UT folder over to the Mac and get Unreal Tournament X. There never was an official OS X version of UT, but this one was made by one guy (who I think worked for West Lake or something). There is also a mod that lets you play the original Unreal levels (with original weapons and all) in Unreal Tournament. If you get that mod, you should be able to play the original Unreal in OS X as well :thumbsup_anim:

I don't think there is a UMOD installer for OS X though, and the OS 9 version won't work since intel Macs can't run Classic apps. You'll probably have to install any mods on the PC, then copy them over.

• 3 weeks later...

Idea for Halo....

Take the shaders, content, maps, controls, watson, paste them in the halo demo for mac, and patch it with the latest patch? I don't have an intel mac, so I can't test this...=[ (Or 0sx86 working fully for me.)

• 3 weeks later...
Battlefield 1942- NOT FULLY TESTED

Method- Install Demo

- Rename game directory to "Battlefield 1942", rename App to "Battlefield 1942" and rename "Demo Data" to "Data"

- Delete all contents of the Data directory EXCEPT for "BF1942.pid" and the "Cache" and "Movies" directories

- Make a duplicate of the Battlefield 1942.app and rename it "Battlefield 1942 The Road to Rome"

- Copy the "Mods" directory from a PC install into the "Data" directory of the Mac install

- Copy "bfdist.vlu" and "lexicon.DS" from the root directory of the PC install to the "Mods" directory in the Mac install

- Download the v1.61d Patch[/u][/b]. You will need to manually point it to your Battlefield 1942 directory

- FAILURE (OMX-knuckles)- Unable to run game for further testing without the correct disks

--> Remember, this method is currently UNTESTED. YMMV <--

I did try that method and when i double click the Battlefield 1942 or Road To Rome icons on my Mac, it asks for the "Battlefield 1942" CD to be inserted, but the name of my Battlefield 1942 CD is BF1942_1 because i have the Deluxe Edition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

Apparently the Prey PC save games work. Can anyone verify this? My Prey works now but loading a game crashes with "Unknown Class hhSecurityEyeBase". New games can be saved and loaded fine.

Can anyone confirm? Demo version I got was 1.2 b116.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has got any of the Age of Empires/Mythology games to work? AOE 2, 3 and AOM have all got mac counterparts, so I guess it should be easy. I have got legal versions of all of them, so is there any way to convert the mac demo to a full version?

• 2 weeks later...

Copying all of the files from the "data" and "mods" folder to your Ghost Recon Demo folder do the trick, BUT I am trying to find a way to eliminate it saying Demo Mod on the whole thing. Any ideas?

So just to verify THIS DOES WORK BUT the game still says demo and it will not allow you in to campaign mode. More to follow on the 2 updates to the game and the fix

This is not GRAW but the orginal Ghost Recon

I finally got Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 working on OSX using the windows install :P

Can't believe how simple it was. All I did was copy the pc install to a folder named "Data" in /Applications/RCT3GameFolder/ and then copied the unibin nocd into the RCT3GameFolder and it worked :D

I just need to work out how to get the camera setup right now :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Howto Install Neverwinter Nights (+SoU+HotU) 1.68 Using A Windows Install

Files Needed: Windows Install of NWN

Mac Binaries for Miles & Bink (can be obtained from NWN Tech Demo)

Mac Updates (for 1.68 - XP1Mac168_English.zip & XP2Mac168_English.zip)

Open Terminal

cd /Applications

mkdir "NWN Updater"

cd "NWN Updater"

Using Finder, Copy the contents of the windows install to the "NWN Updater" folder.

Copy the patches into the Applications folder

cd ..

unzip -o XP1Mac168_English.zip

unzip -o XP2Mac168_English.zip

mv "NWN Updater" "Neverwinter Nights"

Now copy the contents of the miles directory from the tech demo to the miles directory on your new install and the "Bink Carbon Library.app" to the base directory of the install.

Make sure you remove all the ini files from the base directory excluding the "nwncdkey.ini".

Now you should be able to run the game for the first time without any problems.

notes:

You can install the Diamond Edition of nwn without installing in windows using the script posted on the bioware forums.

The 1.68 patch is not unibin but runs perfectly OK (I am running on 4xAA & everything on full on a x1900xt)

• 4 weeks later...
Howto Install Neverwinter Nights (+SoU+HotU) 1.68 Using A Windows Install

Files Needed: Windows Install of NWN

Mac Binaries for Miles & Bink (can be obtained from NWN Tech Demo)

Mac Updates (for 1.68 - XP1Mac168_English.zip & XP2Mac168_English.zip)

Open Terminal

cd /Applications

mkdir "NWN Updater"

cd "NWN Updater"

Using Finder, Copy the contents of the windows install to the "NWN Updater" folder.

Copy the patches into the Applications folder

cd ..

unzip -o XP1Mac168_English.zip

unzip -o XP2Mac168_English.zip

mv "NWN Updater" "Neverwinter Nights"

Now copy the contents of the miles directory from the tech demo to the miles directory on your new install and the "Bink Carbon Library.app" to the base directory of the install.

Make sure you remove all the ini files from the base directory excluding the "nwncdkey.ini".

Now you should be able to run the game for the first time without any problems.

notes:

You can install the Diamond Edition of nwn without installing in windows using the script posted on the bioware forums.

The 1.68 patch is not unibin but runs perfectly OK (I am running on 4xAA & everything on full on a x1900xt)

I have looked high and low for the tech demo to grab the bink binaries with no luck whatsoever. The macgamefiles used to have it and they no longer have it at their FTP site that I can find. BTW, Bioware is still promising a universal binary in the future.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it @ fileplanet!

• 2 weeks later...
Since I didn't see Unreal Tournament (original 1999 version) listed, I thought I'd post that to get it to work, all you have to do is copy your installed Windows UT folder over to the Mac and get Unreal Tournament X. There never was an official OS X version of UT, but this one was made by one guy (who I think worked for West Lake or something). There is also a mod that lets you play the original Unreal levels (with original weapons and all) in Unreal Tournament. If you get that mod, you should be able to play the original Unreal in OS X as well :P

Too bad the file doesnt exist at the site that was hosting the file for unreal tournament X :P

Edit: On a side note I have installed UT2004 and it runs considerably faster on Mac OS X than it ever did on windows (bootcamp is setup on my MBP my FPS is double what it was in Vista)

If anyone else still plays UT2k4 and they do this don't forget to edit the alias inside Unreal Tournament 2004.app/Contents/MacOS and remove the "demo" from the end otherwise it will not run and it will complain that the architecture is not supported.

This would be done after the patch to 3369.2

• 3 weeks later...
can Neverwinter Nights 2 work this way ???

now its on a mac ???

No it can't because there is not a DEMO version for MAC, however if you have the MAC version and the MotB expansion you can use the expansion on the MAC side. I am at least doing this successfully. Do a google search and you will find out how...

something i forgot…

it's possible to install the elite force expansion pack for windows on an elite force for mac, you just need to copy the pk3s and open the files using the consolle.

unluckly, a couple of decks doesn't work and the in-game lcars is screwed up (you can't self-destrusct the voyager! ^_^ ).