OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,773 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, texem said:

i wouldn't go for it until the boot timeout is fixed, else you are running in trouble in case you want install OS or updates, it will hang there.

It should be a feature.

On a real Mac, the boot picker is NEVER displayed on normal boot.

It is only displayed if you hold the ALT/OPT key.

Once it is displayed, there's NO timeout and stays in the boot picker until you select a drive and hit Enter.

You can do the SAME with OpenCore.

All you need to do is set ShowPicker=False and Installs & Updates work as expected.

You do not need to see the boot picker and EVERY boot AND reduce your boot times because you have a timeout.

Try not to discourage testers from testing the new features as it will benefit you in the long term.

2 hours ago, aylamrin said:

Hey community,

I could really use some help regarding a couple of things:

• [REALLY IMPORTANT]: I cannot boot without verbose. As soon as I remove -v, I get the Apple logo after Picker selection, and the progress bar stalls at 3% (approximately)
  • [Can Manage for now]: SMCBatteryManager is not working. (even with SSDT-ADP1). Managing with ACPIBatteryManager.kext.

Specs are Inspiron 5370/UHD 620/DVMT pre-alloc patch done.

Everything worked with Clover 5103.

You have not stated which boot picker you are using (there are three boot pickers now)

Try setting ShowPicker=False when you remove the Verbose flag.

It will boot the default OS.

1 hour ago, aylamrin said:

Hey @stevezheng I think you have the same CPU as me. Are you using a Dell laptop?

Could you please tell me if you are able to boot without the -v flag?

You can try the latest release of VoodooPS2. According to the commit history, a race problem is solved.

33 minutes ago, MacNB said:

On a real Mac, the boot picker is NEVER displayed on normal boot.

It is only displayed if you hold the ALT/OPT key.

Once it is displayed, there's NO timeout and stays in the boot picker until you select a drive and hit Enter.

Real Mac behaviour I know very well, i own not only a cheese grater.

But unfortunately pressing ALT/OPT I never got it working. Either USB nor BT connected keyboard.

37 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Try not to discourage testers from testing the new features as it will benefit you in the long term.

mmhm , not my intention .. sometimes I have the feeling that some people specially in this forum overreact very quickly and treat others as noobs. I'm here since 2009 btw ;-)

5 hours ago, texem said:

i wouldn't go for it until the boot timeout is fixed, else you are running in trouble in case you want install OS or updates, it will hang there.

You can just set ShowPicker to NO, which will make it the same way it is on a Mac. Hold OPT to get into picker, or boot to the default option otherwise. I am not even sure BootLiquor needs timeout support.

Updated: If OPT is not working, you can always use Esc. If neither is working, try playing with TakeoffDelay and UEFI → Input values. Furthermore, as a last effort you can press these keys frequently instead of holding as a last effort measure.

Edited by vit9696
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MacNB said:

You have not stated which boot picker you are using (there are three boot pickers now)

Try setting ShowPicker=False when you remove the Verbose flag.

It will boot the default OS.

I tried using Builtin and External/BootLiquour. Also tried toggling the ShowPicker=ON/OFF. Same result.

It boot(ed) only with -v only.

However, 

3 hours ago, stevezheng said:

You can try the latest release of VoodooPS2. According to the commit history, a race problem is solved.

This idea was very useful, and I think this could be reason for the issue. Now with 2.1.2, this particular issue is gone.

But, there is one more issue now. I am getting the Keyboard to work only with the DEBUG version of OC, and not the release version. Any ideas?

Also, how to get the HDMI working, with sound?

Hello guys! Having problem with NVRAM.

MB: ASUS x99 Deluxe

Everything works perfectly - power management, sleep etc.. But can't get NVRAM to work. In normal mode its not saving values after reboot, in emulated mode I've installed logout script, so nvram.plist created properly in the root of EFI partition. And nvram values also altering well (from terminal sudo nvram test="test value"...), but they do not loading on reboot... Did everything like in this manual: https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/post-install/nvram

Where to dig?

On 3/10/2020 at 4:21 AM, Simonej said:

Hello guys, quick question to know if someone went through a similar problem:

I have a working Gigabyte Z390 + i9 9900k system and another Gigabyte Z77 + i5 3570k with Clover, adapted the configuration to try OpenCore to this old build and anytime I try to boot to OS X 10.13.6 HD from picker the system reboot to bios.

I spent just an hour to check different settings with no results, any suggestion?

(will post config and log if necessary)

Thanks

Here are the logs, I noticed something strange, maybe not relevant:
27:500 00:072 OCOS: OS set: <null> Mac OS X 10.12
27:563 00:063 OCOS: OS set: Apple Inc. Mac OS X 10.12

Thanks

opencore-2020-03-12-021144.txt

opencore-2020-03-12-015226.txt

Hi All i have a strange problem with my laptop1 its pavilion g6-2165sx  i have catalina and windows 10 on same drive but if i tried to boot windows i got error after starting Acpi bios error and windws 10 hangs  but my other laptop works perfect 

i tried with release 0.56 and 0.57 

but the strange thing here is if i used NDK fork it boots windows 10 without problem 

attached my config file

config.plist

1 hour ago, eng_redaesm said:

Hi All i have a strange problem with my laptop1 its pavilion g6-2165sx  i have catalina and windows 10 on same drive but if i tried to boot windows i got error after starting Acpi bios error and windws 10 hangs  but my other laptop works perfect 

i tried with release 0.56 and 0.57 

but the strange thing here is if i used NDK fork it boots windows 10 without problem 

attached my config file

config.plist

I don't try it: but there is Blessoveride in OC config.plist. See configurations.pdf in Repo.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eng_redaesm said:

i tried Blessoveride has no effect with my problem

This solution solve stevezheng problem: page #140. Sorry, I don't use dual boot.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, telepati said:

Anyone using SMBIOS 19,1 and headless mode on OpenCore? Also, is it recommended?

Depends on your hardware and what trade-offs you want to make. 19,1 is the only SMBIOS that supports Sidecar. No other EFI will have that working. However, you lose being able to play videos on Amazon (if that's important) and DRM content can be finicky.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, telepati said:

Anyone using SMBIOS 19,1 and headless mode on OpenCore? Also, is it recommended?

Navi users haven’t got much choice as all other smbios make the Navi card drivers expose how unstable they are where as under 19,1 the Navi doesn’t freeze. It does take a good bit of gpu stress to make it unstable though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tiem said:

Depends on your hardware and what trade-offs you want to make. 19,1 is the only SMBIOS that supports Sidecar. No other EFI will have that working. However, you lose being able to play videos on Amazon (if that's important) and DRM content can be finicky.

Streaming Safari already doesn't work for me 'cause I have Polaris RX560. I can just use AppleTV with shikigva=16. I tested all other shikigva and Safari always freezing and making force restart. The sidecar can be useful. Thanks @Tiem :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 4:15 AM, bayard said:

Are windows and mac os on the same drive? What's your hardware config?

how about if u got windows on a separate drive how u get opencore  to boot it?

1 hour ago, telepati said:

Streaming Safari already doesn't work for me 'cause I have Polaris RX560. I can just use AppleTV with shikigva=16. I tested all other shikigva and Safari always freezing and making force restart. The sidecar can be useful.

Try iMac19,1 with IQSV and last beta 10.15.4, shikigva=80 falling are partially fixed Apple in 10.15.4+

• Thanks 1