[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, eSaF said:

Ok I just down load the latest Beta and about to do a clean Install on a test ssd just to satisfy my curiosity because it is eating away at me like crazy. The crazy thing is when I hotplug Catalina Disk the 5 boxes appears in BS but reverts back to 4. So I am not happy at the moment, I just knew this latest offering went too smoothly to be ok. :blowup:

@eSaF I've done the ACPI patching manually (following the Dortania guide) and I have a different motherboard than yours. Also I have "patched" the two red thingies into green on Hackintool:

Spoiler

1676678566_Screenshot2020-11-06at6_21_08PM.thumb.png.c5f46a58f34d93d001a1daa77de39478.png

Can you check your settings? Maybe there's something different there?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The differences posted on energy saver are related to the Power management of your CPU. ( Depending if you're using the SSDT-PLUG recommended by the OC Devs or not )

In the EFI for my X299, I do not use SSDTs.  XCPM is managed thru the bios.

Therefore, as @BALDY_MAN I have less options but everything works perfectly. 

I don't have the "Automatic restart after power failure" because I have a UPS :hysterical:

In short, the differences or less options in your system preferences might be related to your Bios &/or SSDT-PLUG.

Big Sur 11.0.1 Beta (20B5022a)

771449071_ScreenShot2020-11-06at12_26_24PM.thumb.png.ffe4fe6854e6e50dba246e7247b08f1f.png

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone else have a problem with Asus RX 5700 XT and latest Big Sur beta ?

I am using agdpmod=pikera but most of the time it takes me out on a black screen.

With RX 580/590 works perfectly.

On Catalina works perfectly too..

Edited by Moviemakergr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellybz said:

The differences posted on energy saver are related to the Power management of your CPU. ( Depending if you're using the SSDT-PLUG recommended by the OC Devs or not )

In the EFI for my X299, I do not use SSDTs.  XCPM is managed thru the bios.

Therefore, as @BALDY_MAN I have less options but everything works perfectly. 

I don't have the "Automatic restart after power failure" because I have a UPS :hysterical:

In short, the differences or less options in your system preferences might be related to your Bios &/or SSDT-PLUG.

Big Sur 11.0.1 Beta (20B5022a)

771449071_ScreenShot2020-11-06at12_26_24PM.thumb.png.ffe4fe6854e6e50dba246e7247b08f1f.png

Is this actually a thing? How can I know if I can be SSDT-free?

@WizeManEverything depends on your platform. My GA x299 does not need SSDTs for EC, RTC, AWAC  to boot. 

In the past I only used SSDTs for USBX & CPUPM, but I was able to get rid of them.

USBX:

The longest part was to map all my USB ports , Including TB & Inateck PCIe USB card , in my USBPorts.kext ( attached below ). After this was done, I incorporated the properties of SSDT-USBX in the kext, verified that the properties were loaded without the SSDT & got rid of that SSDT. (Thanks to @loloflat6 for pointing in ths direction. )

PLUG ( XCPM ): ( Read edit 1 & 2 )

As I mentioned above, SSDT-PLUG is not mandatory if your Bios can manage XCPM. Works fine on my system ( 1.2Ghz in Idle to 4.9Ghz : 6 Speedsteps ) . Sleeps/Wake also work. Zero bug.

Many tools exist to verify that XCPM is working properly. Look it up. 

I'm not a fan of the Dortania guide. lots of Incoherence, but if you're a beginner, I guess it's fine.

PS: I'm using my sytem for work 24/7 and and it is completely stable. ( outside the Bugs from Betas )

EllybzUSB.kext.zip

Edit: A simple way to verify if you have XCPM, is to type in your terminal "sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode " ; if the return value =  1; XCPM is loaded. 

Further investigation might be necessary. ( Power management, amount of Power states, etc..)

Edit 2macOS native power management is NOT mandatory. Performances are similar. Only differences can results in improper sleep, higher temperature or higher power consumption.  ( No issue on my system ). Everything is operating correctly.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ellybz said:

@WizeManEverything depends on your platform. My GA x299 does not need SSDTs for EC, RTC, AWAC  to boot. 

In the past I only used SSDTs for USBX & CPUPM, but I was able to get rid of them.

USBX:

The longest part was to map all my USB ports , Including TB & Inateck PCIe USB card , in my USBPorts.kext ( attached below ). After this was done, I incorporated the properties of SSDT-USBX in the kext, verified that the properties were loaded without the SSDT & got rid of that SSDT.

PLUG ( XCPM ):

As I mentioned above, SSDT-PLUG is not mandatory if your Bios can manage XCPM. Works fine on my system ( 1.8Ghz in Idle to 4.9Ghz : 6 Speedsteps ) . Sleeps/Wake also work. Zero bug.

Many tools exist to verify that XCPM is working properly. Look it up.

I'm not a fan of the Dortania guide. lots of Incoherence, but if you're a beginner, I guess it's fine.

PS: I'm using my sytem for work 24/7 and and it is completely stable. ( outside the Bugs from Betas )

EllybzUSB.kext.zip

This is a very interesting aspect to investigate. I already have everything USB related on a USBPorts.kexts, also I know for a fact that I need the AWAC patch (or patch UEFI with modified grub shell but in case of complete bios restore or flash I’ll need to do this again, so I went with the aml route). But for the PLUG I will test and of course if it works fine without, there is no reason to have an extra ACPI patch.

thanks @Ellybz

• Like 1

@BALDY_MAN

if you type in terminal sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode 

What do you get? ( should be 1 )

Do you have Turbo Boost engaged in your Bios? Turn On if its off.

This is what I have in IO REG ( no SSDT-plug )Look for CP00 or PR00 - XCPM is on if the name matches in the right colon.

1191365469_ScreenShot2020-11-07at00_09_00.thumb.png.79854f8bd6191f22f962a545d9358b1d.png

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Have a look to PR0 instead of cpus. Below Ioreg for my Z390 Aorus Master

From the guide:

As you can see from the left image, we have the X86PlatformPlugin attached meaning Apple's CPU Power Management Drivers are doing their thing (Note the CPU's name does not matter, CPU names come in many variations such as CP00, CPU0, PR00, etc. What matters is that AppleACPICPU attaches to it).

This is what a healthy system looks like (note the X86PlatformPlugin attached to the first core):

642713009_ScreenShot2020-11-07at12_25_18AM.thumb.png.c25803eab29d15346097c1c25dfab4f5.png

Edited by Tiem
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiem said:

From the guide:

I know that @Tiem Why you quout me instead of @BALDY_MAN ? I've a Z390 Aorus Master, he have a Z490 Aorus Master: despite the different chipsets, the two motherboards have the same structure. Both use PR0 for the processor. :) Have a nice day.

• Like 1

Just now, Matgen84 said:

I know that @Tiem Why you quout me instead of @BALDY_MAN ? I've a Z390 Aorus Master, he have a Z490 Aorus Master: despite the different chipsets, the two motherboards have the same structure. Both use PR0 for the processor. :) Have a nice day.

What you posted does not show the necessary information as to whether you have PM active or not. 

21 minutes ago, Ellybz said:

@BALDY_MAN

if you type in terminal sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode 

What do you get? ( should be 1 )

Do you have Turbo Boost engaged in your Bios? Turn On if its off.

This is what I have in IO REG ( no SSDT-plug )Look for CP00 or PR00 - XCPM is on if the name matches in the right colon.

1191365469_ScreenShot2020-11-07at00_09_00.thumb.png.79854f8bd6191f22f962a545d9358b1d.png

this is what I get mode 1 (machdep.xcpm.mode: 1 ) thinks for your help

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tiem said:

What you posted does not show the necessary information as to whether you have PM active or not. 

Once again, why you quot to me :) I answer to @BALDY_MAN who was looking for the right line in Ioreg. That's all.

If you want to give an explanation, you have to answer him directly. :hysterical:

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matgen84 said:

Once again, why you quot to me :) I answer to @BALDY_MAN who was looking for the right line in Ioreg. That's all.

If you want to give an explanation, you have to answer him directly. :hysterical:

From the guide:

As you can see from the left image, we have the X86PlatformPlugin attached meaning Apple's CPU Power Management Drivers are doing their thing (Note the CPU's name does not matter, CPU names come in many variations such as CP00, CPU0, PR00, etc. What matters is that AppleACPICPU attaches to it).

• Haha 1

anyone who have problem that cpu freq hold high(about 2.0ghz. and over)?

no drop 0.8ghz. very strange. seems this problem starts since big sur beta 8 or 9?.

high freq and temperature causes low perf.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

• Sad 1