[pre-release] macOS Big Sur

3,698 posts in this topic

Apple hid the battery percentage in macOS Big Sur. To show the battery percentage in the menu bar just go to System Preferences> Dock & Menu Bar> Battery. In this tab, we check the Show percentage box
Why didn't he know

Schermata 2020-10-30 alle 00.06.23.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After some research about why 4k VP9 isn't working on Safari I finally figured out the mystery. 

Skylake series simply doesn't support VP9.

If you enable "Develop > Experimental Features > VP9 SW Decoder on Battery" that will simply use your CPU, not your GPU. that's not quite okay, for me a HDR 4k 60 FPS video eats up my whole i5-6300HQ. 

And if I disable VP9 SW Decoder on Battery I only have 1080p videos. That's because if it's disabled Safari only allowing HW decoding on Youtube, and YouTube have 1080p+ videos in VP9 only.

Chrome is same, it's just SW decoding, that's why you see 4k videos, it's using your CPU not GPU. 

If you go to chrome://gpu/ -> Video Acceleration Information section, and you don't see VP9 then you don't have VP9 hw support. If yt won't add HEVC support, Skylake is out of luck. sadly.

PQJlG5D.thumb.png.e7a5c1417360daac66a9a1e5f3fa7d3a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/29/2020 at 12:46 PM, iCanaro said:

great news, I was able for the first time ever to update BigSur using Clover 
on the Z68 it was very but very long, due to mechanical hard disk; also without the kexts in OTHER you do not start the second phase of the update, then as I happened, some kext could cause kernel panic, so better leave the bare minimum

so obviously a heartfelt thank you to all the acidanthera devs for the wonderful work and a thank you to the Slice and Jief devs for putting OC in clover's engine so we can use it in the future and not just keep it as a reminder of the good old days of when we were younger :) 

27181417_Schermata2020-10-29alle12_32_44

Hello!

I have an Asus Z68 system with the same processor, please share your EFI folder for this motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, fantomas said:

Note: The term "Release Candidate" (RC) replaces "GM seed" and indicates this version is near final.

Close, but RC and GM are not the same thing. A “Release Candidate” build is used prior to achieve the “Golden Master” status, indicating that, should all is well, the “RC” evolves into a new closer numbered build labeled “GM” or a “RTM” (“Released to manufacturers” as seen on Windows world) build. However last minute fixes can still cause “RC2”, “RC3” and so forth. And those happens prior to a GM build. So while yes, close to the final and less prone to changes as of its previous Beta state, RC ain’t the final build.

Edited by Alex HQuest
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bassguitarist said:

Hello!

I have an Asus Z68 system with the same processor, please share your EFI folder for this motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

click Clover Quirks my signature

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alex HQuest said:

Close, but RC and GM are not the same thing. A “Release Candidate” build is used prior to achieve the “Golden Master” status, indicating that, should all is well, the “RC” evolves into a new closer numbered build labeled “GM” or a “RTM” (“Released to manufacturers” as seen on Windows world) build. However last minute fixes can still cause “RC2”, “RC3” and so forth. And those happens prior to a GM build. So while yes, close to the final and less prone to changes as of its previous Beta state, RC ain’t the final build.

I agree with you, but Apple made another choice. Already for Xcode for example.

Capture d’écran 2020-10-31 à 17.50.10.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Manas Malla said:

I am trying to boot macOS Big Sur usb via OpenCore and when trying to boot facing the issue 

System uptime in nanosecond. I am booting it on intel i3 7130u on lenovo IdeaPad 330

IMG_20201101_190703.jpg

The logs tell ACPI error. Have you followed the ACPI patching guide @ dortania ?

3 hours ago, Manas Malla said:

I am trying to boot macOS Big Sur usb via OpenCore and when trying to boot facing the issue 

System uptime in nanosecond. I am booting it on intel i3 7130u on lenovo IdeaPad 330

IMG_20201101_190703.jpg

This is an issue with Booter->quirks - I'd take a look at disabling DevirtualiseMmio specifically or SetupVirtualMap and checking for MATs support. It's not an issue with ACPI @WizeMan

9 hours ago, 1Revenger1 said:

This is an issue with Booter->quirks - I'd take a look at disabling DevirtualiseMmio specifically or SetupVirtualMap and checking for MATs support. It's not an issue with ACPI @WizeMan

Thank You @1Revenger1 and BTW Thank you too @WizeMan I checked and followed the ACPI patch steps with respect to the official dortania guide only and @1Revenger1 I will try the steps you mentioned and get back! ANYHOW thanks both of your for your intrest in helping out!

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've got Big Sur 11.0.1 beta working on my laptop (see signature) with clover 5126, however I have a few issues:

1. Wake on lan does not work as it should (machine won't wake up after getting the WOL magic packet.. it goes back to sleep again). I can wake the machine only by pressing the power button or opening the lid. This works perfectly with Catalina.

2. I've an external HDMI display so I usually set laptop display to the minimum.. however after the machine wakes up the display won't stay dimmed, apparently nvram isn't working either as brightness goes back to full after a reboot.

3. FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext kext isn't doing its job, my USB 2.0 devices attach to the USB 3.0 controller (AppleUSBXHCILPTH). Again, this kext works under Catalina... booting with the same EFi and exact same config/kexts.

Above issues not present with Catalina booting with the same exact EFI folder/kexts and config.plist.

Not sure if first two issues have something to do with the fact the OS is still Beta...

I'll appreciate some help with this... I can upload my config.plist if required.

Thanks in advance,

D.

5 hours ago, Tiem said:

@Tiem What do you want to demonstrate with the Wikipedia article? I know this software design cycle. Wikipedia shows the normal production cycle FOR PC. You can see this by reading the article. But Wikipedia is not Apple. :hysterical:

In my previous post, I put the screenshot of Apple developers: RC replaces GM, for the Cupertino company.

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1