[pre-release] macOS Big Sur in VMWare

1,188 posts in this topic

I am having some issues and maybe, just maybe, someone has a good suggestion for me.  

1. While it took a long time, I now have a working EFI for OpenCore for both Catalina and Big Sur. However, for whatever reason, my webcam does not work (but other internal USB devices seem to be ok) and my CPU temp sensors are not picked up by iStat Menus but do seem to be displayed correctly in HWMonitorSMC (I am using the plugins for VirtualSMC.)

2. I used the image of Big Sur that was first posted in Applelife.ru, and while it works, and while I was able to resize the APFS container to fit on my laptop's SSD, I cannot restore the live installation created from the image on my laptop's SSD.  It gets UUID errors that prevent me from restoring it.  If I create my own installation on a real Mac to my external USB drive, will I also have problems restoring that installation to my laptop's SSD?

3. The BRCMPatchRam3 kext seems to work in Big Sur but it also appears to be spamming my log file and possibly using a ton of resources for no good reason.  When I just use the BT injector, the BT device appears but does not work properly.  The PatchRam kext appears to be necessary from proper BT function.

Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 1

Managed to install after quite a bit of faffing about. Couldn't do it without the invaluable help and guidance of Señor MaLd0n. Restored the dmg to a ssd drive and slight tweak to my config.plist to enable booting from the drive.

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 02.09.12.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, eSaF said:

Managed to install after quite a bit of faffing about. Couldn't do it without the invaluable help and guidance of Señor MaLd0n. Restored the dmg to a ssd drive and slight tweak to my config.plist to enable booting from the drive.

HI there, happy to hear that you installed via dmg restore, may i have your efi file. and what are the commands used ,  thanks

6 minutes ago, Cephalotus said:

anyone knows how the process of the new versions of the bootloaders is going? so we can do a clean install of the big sur

when it works, you will know. it will be front page everywhere and all that people are talking about

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, luki1979 said:

@Slice I know Apple are being {censored}s but Big Sur feels much snappier and light then Mojave/ Catalina even on my old MacBook Pro. For me High Sierra was last proper x86 supported 32bit and Nvidia drivers. Mojave was already step into this direction, we just didn't knew

and for many of us counting on cuda drivers, even high sierra was {censored}. The start of metal really made it hard for nvidias cuda drivers. Very common with sporadic crashes etc.

so i would say 10.12 was the last ”very” good one, when you are a 3D artist

now Big Sur seem very promising though. Extremely snappy i would say.

3 hours ago, DarkNeptune0 said:

Well, in the end change the atheros card for an intel 9462 and it works very well in BigSur with itlwm.kext, in conclusion the lenovo Ideapad L340 15-iwl laptop is the perfect hackbook.

Intel Wifi? Care to share the kexts for everyone?
I can see your not actually connected to any WiFi network, does it work?

@SavageAUS

It works really well, my card is an Intel-9462NGW, I think I can't put links but I'll leave you a file with the kext I use, first you open the kext with the option show package content, you modify the file info.plist and in the image section you modify the ssid and your internet password, you save it and put the kext in the opencore kexts folder and modify your config.plist to add it.  Reboot your computer, open the Heliport app to see the status and connect to another network.

Credits to the creators of the itlwm kext and the Heliport app.

Captura de Pantalla 2020-07-02 a la(s) 8.11.33.png

itlwm.kext.zip

• Like 1

1447031441_Screenshot2020-07-01at23_30_27.thumb.png.08b71f4fdafae4fe4754385f51b33a53.png

Fresh install from Big Sur application app in Proxmox on my AMD 3970x

First two installations steps done with Penryn Cpu in my vm config

Latest step done with Cpu set to host as usual

to reach a minimal dual display viewing with my Nvidia I am trying to install unlocked Nvidia drivers..but for now not possible to write in system volume>

2045396171_Screenshot2020-07-01at23_33_44.png.bb086ab33e187f217ab582bbb56e01b8.png

1741101345_Screenshot2020-07-01at23_34_14.png.06c7d41b132840eae27868f920700123.png

7 hours ago, mnfesq said:

I am having some issues and maybe, just maybe, someone has a good suggestion for me.  

1. While it took a long time, I now have a working EFI for OpenCore for both Catalina and Big Sur. However, for whatever reason, my webcam does not work (but other internal USB devices seem to be ok) and my CPU temp sensors are not picked up by iStat Menus but do seem to be displayed correctly in HWMonitorSMC (I am using the plugins for VirtualSMC.)

2. I used the image of Big Sur that was first posted in Applelife.ru, and while it works, and while I was able to resize the APFS container to fit on my laptop's SSD, I cannot restore the live installation created from the image on my laptop's SSD.  It gets UUID errors that prevent me from restoring it.  If I create my own installation on a real Mac to my external USB drive, will I also have problems restoring that installation to my laptop's SSD?

3. The BRCMPatchRam3 kext seems to work in Big Sur but it also appears to be spamming my log file and possibly using a ton of resources for no good reason.  When I just use the BT injector, the BT device appears but does not work properly.  The PatchRam kext appears to be necessary from proper BT function.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi, im believe that you will get 90% chance to not have a problem in install from your new installation (external usb), but im think is not necessary restoring. Just use a simple adapter to make your ssd that you will install on Hack, and make boot from then. Use same driver that you use on install from Macintosh. But restoring Hack its very probably that you will have issues.

First, try use Opencore in your hack build with Catalina, for exemple, and its huge probably that you will have success.

• Like 1

Hello everyone
I see with pleasure that you are all making a lot of effort and progress to have Big Sur on the PC .., also because we are talking about the first beta that soon we will see new updates of the same.
The virtual machine solution is the installation with a real Mac is an alternative procedure with the sure conviction that the clover developers will release a definitive bootloader for direct installation, as is the case with previous maOS es. (mojave, Catalina).
You just have to wait patiently for this new clover bootloader is to trust those who work there.
I will wait like so many for this exit.

• Like 6

On 6/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, ham4ever said:

I tried it , same I get black screen (no signal) l, very frustrating, Because same EFI can boot Catalina. 

Same issue here, got Big Sur running on XPS 9560, but internal display is not recognized. DisplayPort works though.

Same config works fine with Catalina.

Tried playing with igplatform and smbios, nothing helps :(

Edited by DMMA

been studying the new APFS sealing process upon installation on a real Mac, and there is big challenges ahead to implement disabling SIP3, and the introduction of ramrod like iOS, I wonder if we may have to go back to the old days of updating the OS via Delta/Combo patched updates. Interesting times ahead for Hackintosh. 

• Like 4

I’m not sure but this what I do in BigSur Hackie to activated atheros40

csr-active-config : 77080000

1. run script (thanks to jackluke) BigSur prelinkedkernel fix2.command  --> reboot

2. run kext-droplet (thanks to chris1111) drag n drop IO80211Family.kext  —> reboot

3. open terminal

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext

and bump .. wifi ON

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 19.05.46.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@ludox - To be honest I think we're all caught up in the Big Sur rush, panic, fever, what ever you want to call it, my self included. I can't remember the last time an Apple OS X System caused so much whoohaaa (or is that old man time catching up with me). I spent the time it was released trying like crazy to install it the 'Create Install Media' conventional way and gave up with the thought that my sanity was worth more than that, but reading the many posts of success and failures, I felt I was being left behind and gave it a final push. I had partial success with VMWare but my screen was reduced to letter box size with laggy performance, with a bit more net trawling I found MaLd0n's method - restoring the dmg image to an internal/external disk and saved my sanity. So what I am saying, don't be too harsh admonishing the posters even though the Threads are being kind of cluttered with the same woes and cries because in a few years down the line, Apple will have us ripping the boards and components out of the cases and using the said cases to display potted plants. :hysterical:

• Haha 1