[pre-release] macOS Big Sur in VMWare

1,188 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, htanh034 said:

I try configure config.plist file and now a new error appears. Catalina boot ok.

EFI.zip

use acpibatterymanager.kext instead of smcbatterymanager.kext. you can use virtualsmc.kext along with acpibatterymanagerkext (dont need to use fakesmc.kext)

13 minutes ago, kushwavez said:

Mount the installer.dmg in VM settings CD/DVD section and modify the boot order to boot the dmg first. I think you can do that from "Startup disk" section, select CD/DVD then click "Restart"

Will test it today. Is there any way how to mount the .dmg file in recovery mode using Terminal?

Thanks

Quick question for you guys, I installed Big Sur in Mac mini at work, and it works great, at home I installed Big Sur with the dmg method, but I have problems like some glitches other times I don't have Bluetooth or sound...

For that many reasons I was wondering if I cloned my Mac mini installation to my nvm ssd at home, do you think it will work?

Thanks 

Edited by MorenoAv

1 minute ago, kushwavez said:

hdiutil attach <destination to the dmg>

Yes, but how can i mount it? Suppose i have a drive named HP and the .dmg is in the root drive. How can i mount it?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Ivan999 said:

Hey guys!

I need a bit of help

Anyone fixed Atheros wifi?

I have this issue with Opencore

You can’t fix it as there is no atheros driver in the Big Sur. If your card worked in Catalina than google “WiFi Big Sur unsupported Mac” and follow complicated instructions to replace kext plus you will have to do it on every big update. I just got BCM94360CS2 to replace mine (in signature) and WIFI work OTB but Bluetooth needs patching. This card works 100%  OTB in Catalina. 

Hey! After enrolling in Developer Beta through Terminal I can only get the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Beta 3, so I don’t see the macOS 11 Big Sur, what’s happening?

Anyway, I downloaded it with gibmacOS, but I should be able to get the update through System Preferences, right?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, RGarrido said:

Hey! After enrolling in Developer Beta through Terminal I can only get the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Beta 3, so I don’t see the macOS 11 Big Sur, what’s happening?

Anyway, I downloaded it with gibmacOS, but I should be able to get the update through System Preferences, right?

Thanks!

If i remember correctly, I had to go through all the catalina betas before Big Sur showed as a download. It didn't take too long at least. Maybe others were able to just get it straight away

Just now, BigSir said:

If i remember correctly, I had to go through all the catalina betas before Big Sur showed as a download. It didn't take too long at least. Maybe others were able to just get it straight away

I thought it would be like that, so I installed the beta. However Big Sur still doesn’t show. Well, I’ll be downloading it through GibmacOS

thanks!

Some guys know how to make this card Broadcom BCM943224hms working on BS

its work perfect on 10.15  I try latest AirportBrcmFixup compilation my self and not working

thanks

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RGarrido said:

I thought it would be like that, so I installed the beta. However Big Sur still doesn’t show. Well, I’ll be downloading it through GibmacOS

thanks!

Big Sur supports fewer mac models than what Catalina did, check what mac model you have spoofed in your config.plist and compare it with the list below. If your model is not on the list you need to update your config.plist and spoof a supported mac model. Otherwise the update won't show up in Software Update, and it won't work to boot Big Sur after installation.

Here's the full list of macOS Big Sur compatible Macs:
  • 2015 and later MacBook.
  • 2013 and later MacBook Air.
  • 2013 and later MacBook Pro.
  • 2014 and later Mac mini.
  • 2014 and later iMac.
  • 2017 and later iMac Pro.
  • 2013 and later Mac Pro.
Edited by Common_Sense

35 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Some guys know how to make this card Broadcom BCM943224hms working on BS

its work perfect on 10.15  I try latest AirportBrcmFixup compilation my self and not working

thanks

In Catalina check in Hackintool what driver is loaded? 

2 hours ago, ludufre said:

sorry im confused so first you have to install the vmare, once you have done that you proceed with         - Create VMDK that point to it:   ???

keep getting Unable to copy the source files to the destination files.

Edited by bbmatias3

14 minutes ago, bbmatias3 said:

sorry im confused so first you have to install the vmare, once you have done that you proceed with         - Create VMDK that point to it:   ???

Nope. You attach the external disk directly to Virtual Machine.

1 hour ago, Common_Sense said:

Big Sur supports fewer mac models than what Catalina did, check what mac model you have spoofed in your config.plist and compare it with the list below. If your model is not on the list you need to update your config.plist and spoof a supported mac model. Otherwise the update won't show up in Software Update, and it won't work to boot Big Sur after installation.

Here's the full list of macOS Big Sur compatible Macs:
  • 2015 and later MacBook.
  • 2013 and later MacBook Air.
  • 2013 and later MacBook Pro.
  • 2014 and later Mac mini.
  • 2014 and later iMac.
  • 2017 and later iMac Pro.
  • 2013 and later Mac Pro.

I’m using the MacBookPro16,1 SMBIOS (aka MBP 16” 2019 (or 2020? Don’t remember)), so I don’t think that’s the reason, but thanks!

1 hour ago, ludufre said:

Nope. You attach the external disk directly to Virtual Machine.

then in the installer you go to terminal and ?? sorry im super confused. so i followed the steps and the vm boots to disk utility, i connect my external hd to my vm. then i do the commands on my main mac and it now says 

Unable to create the source raw disk: The specified device is not a valid physical disk device (20)

sudo diskutil unmountDisk diskX
/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/diskX fullDevice ~/Desktop/bigsur.vmwarevm/physical sata
Edited by bbmatias3

Hi,

- I managed to install using the VM method and everything works fine on my X299. Only problem is that my system disk is listed as "Untitled" in Finder, and it seems I have no way to change the name, even though APFS partitions have the correct names (see pictures - Big Sur). Any idea on how to change it?

- I found this very interesting article on the signed system volume in Big Sur: signed system volume, in case someone is interested

thanks

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 22.42.14.png

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 22.42.57.png

On 6/29/2020 at 10:26 PM, Ellybz said:

Booting with OpenCore NDK 059 - X299 Gigabyte Gaming 7 -I9 7980xe

First part of installation done via VMware Fusion / OSX Mojave

Not working (Yet ) : AirDrop & Sleep functions 

BT, Audio ( except RME PCIe) , DP, TB3 are working.

care to tell how you got it working with nkd 059? My X299 system works flawless with 060, but would love it with nkd!

Efi? Config?

Have a great time!

Guest ricoc90
On 6/29/2020 at 10:00 AM, luki1979 said:

@Taruga In that case patching should work, I simply observed lack of plugins in the kext. Now only AirPortBrcmNIC.kext is left do do the job. You can check in Hackintool what plugin/kext is loaded in Catalina. If AirPortBrcmNIC.kext is loaded your card should work OTB in Big Sur.

Rolling back to Catalina's and Mojave's IO80211Family.kext fixes the issue for non-supported brcm4360 cards. so it shouldn't be much of an issue. If you manage to do the rollback at least, since Big Sur boots off of a sealed snapshot thus you can't just remount it with write permissions as mentioned in other posts.

Edit: nevermind. IM didn't show any posts after page 34 for me, turns out you already mentioned that :hysterical:

Edited by ricoc90