[pre-release] macOS Big Sur in VMWare

1,188 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pavo said:

"Vanilla" install is most likely installing using a real Mac to external disk method. OpenCore devs have already confirmed that it can not boot the installer yet.

As I've said in my post. I've managed it.

However, graphics was buggy (pink screen) and also I installed on top of a Catalina.

One thing that I believe is the reason why I've got it is that WhateverGreen was not Patching anything but my device/vendorID/framebuffer is supported and that I've a SMBios properly set but without WhateverGreen patching connectors (DP -> HDMI) it would mess with the display output that's why I needed to change sources on my monitor (I believe it has the same effect if you unplug/plug) so eventually I've got into the installer screen.

Also, I did the prelinked kernel method, I believe that this maybe the reason why OC and Lilu could not Inject or Patch anything.

I maybe try to do it again if I've got time, and try my best to document everything.

For the newcomers I do not advise to try as I did it was really painful, you're better of doing the VM/Real Mac methods.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REKTIMU2 said:

Proof or it didn't happen.

Amazing you've managed to do what the devs haven't.

OK. But that's just your opinion.

Take a look at my post. Why would I go through so much work to post lie? Doesn't make much sense.

It's really sad to simply discredit one's hard work just based on what's stablished.

Just out of curiosity what the devs have to do with it? Does the devs have access to every single setup possibly available? Your point just prove you do not know what you're talking about...

5 minutes ago, hellojuliomoreira said:

Take a look at my post. Why would I go through so much work to post lie? Doesn't make much sense.

It's really sad to simply discredit one's hard work just based on what's stablished.

Just out of curiosity what the devs have to do with it? Does the devs have access to every single setup possibly available? Your point just prove you do not know what you're talking about...

I'm not discrediting it, I'm saying there's no real proof.

Mind sharing your install log?

4 minutes ago, hellojuliomoreira said:

Pretty sure the devs that made the boot loader know what OS versions it can boot or not boot. The fact that you didn't show a full display of "Recovery" picture and not produced a boot install log seems kind of fishy to me.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 5:26 PM, kushwavez said:

booted that up, then restarted and booted the installer again

Can you put some light on this? As after installation, it boots back to the installed one instead of the bootable iso.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Pretty sure the devs that made the boot loader know what OS versions it can boot or not boot. The fact that you didn't show a full display of "Recovery" picture and not produced a boot install log seems kind of fishy to me.

Sure, the one in /private/var/log/install.log ?

guys, let me understand. The only way to install Big Sur is with a real Mac and then copy all installation on the hackintosh hard disk? What about VM or update directly from Catalina?

Edited by Sbrillo

1 minute ago, MacPato said:

yes please would love to see it, and post your HW specs also :)

There you go.

It dates back to 23 Jun which is when I install the Catalina.

The timeline is pretty much as follows:

• 23 Jun - Install Catalina;
  • 24,25,26 - Random stuff, was using the system to do some work, sometime in between I dowloaded BigSur;
  • 27 Jun about 5pm Started to work on getting BigSur;

Specs:

i5 7500

Gigabyte B250M-D3H

24GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 1060 (which doesn't work obviously)

What else do you need? I don't see how other specs would play a role but if you need anything else just let me know.

Enjoy

install.log

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hellojuliomoreira said:

There you go.

• 24,25,26 - Random stuff, was using the system to do some work, sometime in between I dowloaded BigSur;

Specs:

i5 7500

Gigabyte B250M-D3H

24GB RAM

What else do you need? I don't see how other specs would play a role but if you need anything else just let me know.

Enjoy

install.log

If I was a guessing man, I'd say that you downloaded the 10.16 installer via system update, then installed Virtual Box and to start the installer. I can't see a direct upgrade to MacOS sur from 10.5.6

42 minutes ago, Pavo said:

From a developer perspective is much better to say it cannot than to try to explain how to workaround it not being able to do this and that...

Do you have a Github account?  

14 minutes ago, hellojuliomoreira said:

Enjoy

install.log

"content-hint" = EFI;

"dev-entry" = "/dev/disk28s1";

2020-06-27 19:08:26-03 Julios-iMac Installer[6276]: Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.10 Installation Log

2020-06-27 19:08:26-03 Julios-iMac Installer[6276]: Opened from: /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg

2020-06-27 19:08:27-03 Julios-iMac Installer[6276]: Product archive /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg trustLevel=350

I'll just leave this here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REKTIMU2 said:

"content-hint" = EFI;

"dev-entry" = "/dev/disk28s1";

2020-06-27 19:08:26-03 Julios-iMac Installer[6276]: Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.10 Installation Log

2020-06-27 19:08:26-03 Julios-iMac Installer[6276]: Opened from: /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg

2020-06-27 19:08:27-03 Julios-iMac Installer[6276]: Product archive /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg trustLevel=350

I'll just leave this here.

I tried. Could not even get around creating a Machine...

5 minutes ago, MacPato said:

If I was a guessing man, I'd say that you downloaded the 10.16 installer via system update, then installed Virtual Box and to start the installer. I can't see a direct upgrade to MacOS sur from 10.5.6

You guys need to read my OP more carefully.

I did not made a direct upgrade, I tried to do so. What ended up doing was an install from the install media BUT on top of the current system.

11 minutes ago, XnL said:

I booted a usb installer too. It took some time and some errors were presented but although it seemed stuck it eventually booted to the usb installer. After installing from the usb (1st fase of installation) I got the macOS installer partition and a recovery partiton on the opencore boot picker UI. selecting that it boots but when it should start and continue the install the machine reboots.

here are some pictures to prove it (sorry for the bad quality old phone) 

(Asus z270e i5 7600 and integrated graphics)

Can we see your install log too to see obvious use of virtualization passthrough?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MacPato said:

the logs paint a very different picture

That's ok man. You can believe whatever you choose.

I really just don't see why to choose to believe that I'm lying, but that's up to you in the end...

Cheers,

21 minutes ago, hellojuliomoreira said:

There you go.

Specs:

i5 7500

Gigabyte B250M-D3H

24GB RAM

Enjoy

install.log

Well a few things that do not add up to your claims that I noticed:

2020-06-27 19:08:38-03 Julios-iMac installd[477]: PackageKit: Extracting file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg (destination=/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager/C9F89718-7A83-4469-807C-0A66657B0E6F.activeSandbox/Root/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox, uid=0)
2020-06-27 19:08:45-03 Julios-iMac installd[477]: PackageKit: Extracting file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VirtualBox.pkg (destination=/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager/C9F89718-7A83-4469-807C-0A66657B0E6F.activeSandbox/Root/Applications, uid=0)
2020-06-27 19:08:46-03 Julios-iMac installd[477]: PackageKit: Extracting file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VirtualBoxCLI.pkg (destination=/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager/C9F89718-7A83-4469-807C-0A66657B0E6F.activeSandbox/Root/usr/local/bin, uid=0)
2020-06-27 19:08:46-03 Julios-iMac installd[477]: PackageKit: Extracting file:///Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#OSXFuseCore.pkg (destination=/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager/C9F89718-7A83-4469-807C-0A66657B0E6F.activeSandbox/Root, uid=0)

And this looks like a Volume names BigSur but with 10.15 Installer

Jun 23 15:21:11 iMac OSInstaller[635]: PackageKit: Extracting file:///Volumes/BigSur%20-%20Data/macOS%20Install%20Data/OSX_10_15_IncompatibleAppList.pkg (destination=/Volumes/BigSur 1/Library/Apple/System/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager-SystemSoftware/A710609C-635D-452C-BF31-18FC07A9EADC.activeSandbox/Root, uid=0)

Not to mention, there is no Lilu, VitrualSMC, FakeSMC or any Hackintosh related kexts being injected or loaded into the kernel. This makes me believe this was done inside a VM.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hellojuliomoreira said:

You guys need to read my OP more carefully.

I did not made a direct upgrade, I tried to do so. What ended up doing was an install from the install media BUT on top of the current system.

Yeah, we've all tried in-place upgrade... There's no PK... it literally can't boot the installer right now. No amount of "well I performed some ancient rite and did a ritual song and dance to get it to work" will get around this.

It's very obvious you did virtualization with SATA controller passthrough.

You expect us to believe you couldn't get VM working (unlike everyone else) but got the installer to work (unlike everyone else)

2 minutes ago, REKTIMU2 said:

Yeah, we've all tried in-place upgrade... There's no PK... it literally can't boot the installer right now. No amount of "well I performed some ancient rite and did a ritual song and dance to get it to work" will get around this.

It's very obvious you did virtualization with SATA controller passthrough.

You expect us to believe you couldn't get VM working (unlike everyone else) but got the installer to work (unlike everyone else)

Hahaha, I don't even know how to do that.

Just ask yourself. Why I would leave the VirtualBox stuff in the logs if I was trying to fake something.

This is getting silly.

@Pavo

I want to ask something. Is it possible to restore the .dmg to the main disk?

What i mean is. I have the .dmg and the system has Catalina installed on which i want to install Big Sur.

I also have Catalina USB where i can boot into the recovery, locate the .dmg file and restore it to the main Catalina drive. 

Is that possible?

I also problem with my Laptop. With one EFI, the Audio and WiFi doesn't works. Can you check?

Thanks

Booting with OpenCore NDK 059 - X299 Gigabyte Gaming 7 -I9 7980xe

First part of installation done via VMware Fusion / OSX Mojave

Not working (Yet ) : AirDrop & Sleep functions 

BT, Audio ( except RME PCIe) , DP, TB3 are working.

552788062_ScreenShot2020-06-29at12_43_32PM.thumb.png.4ba8ef059488f7619f01411ecb5a016b.pngScreenShot-2020-06-29-200650.thumb.png.0b913a582a00004d30ff4bdf24d871ad.png

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 2