[pre-release] macOS Big Sur in VMWare

1,188 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, Cyberdevs said:

I got to admit Big Sur's is performing surprisingly well even on a conventional HDD with APFS format.

I agree with you. I was using Catalina with NVME and now Big Sur with a conventional SSD and I feel an absurd difference (for the better). If the Beta is like that, imagine the final version.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, Cyberdevs said:

I got to admit Big Sur's is performing surprisingly well even on a conventional HDD with APFS format.

Is that a VM converted to physical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ludufre said:

I agree with you. I was using Catalina with NVME and now Big Sur with a conventional SSD and I feel an absurd difference (for the better). If the Beta is like that, imagine the final version.

Yeah exactly, I installed Catalina on many iMac with HDD and the performance wasn't bearable AT ALL, but Big Sur is definitely the winner!

On 6/26/2020 at 6:38 PM, ludufre said:

To whom it may concern.

I updated my guide to install Big Sur by creating your own installation using a virtual machine as installer. (With pictures)

So you don't have to use ready-made DMG/DD.

If you already have your Catalina working perfectly with OpenCore, it will theoretically work...

I'm stuck here after install. I did as you said

i5-4210u

HD 4400

Spoiler

20200626_194615.jpg

On 6/27/2020 at 9:48 AM, zisqo said:

well successed with X299 System.. it's not on VMware screen. also changing all device properties on ssdts will working fine.
i was basic-refer that KGP's ssdt but something was different.

btw it's working even if somebody said "it's not working yet"

ASUS X299 TUF Mark 1 / i7-7800X

I’m also curious how you got it working on x299.  I’m getting stuck at pci configuration. Do you mind uploading your config.plist? Thanks! 

13 hours ago, aben said:

Finally got Big Sur to boot on my Dell Inspiron Skylake gen laptop

Oh my, spent days moving around files on trial and error, final credits goes to the awesome @vit9696 for pointing out techniques to restore incompatible APFS images on Catalina, final boss fight with Disk Utility kept throwing compatibility errors.

Thanks to all devs and peeps for all your contributions, patience and dedication.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 10.42.24 AM.png

HI , can you post your EFI to check, thank you

18 minutes ago, Djlild7hina said:

I’m also curious how you got it working on x299.  I’m getting stuck at pci configuration. Do you mind uploading your config.plist? Thanks! 

HI dear, can you post your efi to check ? thank you

Just now, cryosat7 said:

did you managed to get it working afterwards?

Not with a clean install no, but I used VMWare to install it on my HDD and then I booted with OpenCore and continued from there.

• Like 1

Just now, Cyberdevs said:

Not with a clean install no, but I used VMWare to install it on my HDD and then I booted with OpenCore and continued from there.

That was my first try Originally too, but then it got stuck on randomSeed, that's why I asked.

Just now, cryosat7 said:

That was my first try Originally too, but then it got stuck on randomSeed, that's why I asked.

what are your hardware specs? I only tried it on my Haswell rig no luck on Skylake yet though. To be honest haven't tried much to get it to work on my SkyLake.

5 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

what are your hardware specs? I only tried it on my Haswell rig no luck on Skylake yet though. To be honest haven't tried much to get it to work on my SkyLake.

ye, my i5 is a SkyLake, that might be the issue, maybe I will give it another shot with a new version of OC later and will let u know then. Also, I see that you're using a TP Archer, I ordered a T6E and TX50E AX3000, do you know if they are supported?

Edited by cryosat7

1 minute ago, cryosat7 said:

ye, my i5 is a SkyLake, that might be the issue, maybe I will give it another shot with a new version of OP later and will let u know then. Also, I see that you're using a TP Archer, I ordered a T6E and TX50E AX3000, do you know if they are supported?

TP T6E must be supported but not sure about TX50E, my TP- T9E works perfectly fine and I have AirDrop working amazingly fast, continuity and hand-off must work but haven't tested them yet.

TP T6E must be supported but not sure about TX50E, my TP- T9E works perfectly fine and I have AirDrop working amazingly fast, continuity and hand-off must work but haven't tested them yet.

Oh okay, thanks for the clarity. I never use PCI-e wifi cards before is I have no knowledge about them.
All I know is that the TX50E has higher speeds and has Bluetooth built in.

5 hours ago, Zhen-zen said:

sudo cp ./com.apple.installer/boot.efi ./System/Library/CoreServices/ sudo cp -r ./System/Library/PrelinkedKernels.Staged ./System/Library/PrelinkedKernels

I Cant find PrelinkedKernels.Staged :(((

4 minutes ago, cryosat7 said:

Oh okay, thanks for the clarity. I never use PCI-e wifi cards before is I have no knowledge about them.
All I know is that the TX50E has higher speeds and has Bluetooth built in.

You're welcome, I haven't tested the TX50E but if it works on Catalina it should work with Big Sur as well, the card seems interesting with a built-in bluetooth 5.0. Let me know how it goes when you got your hands on it.

You're welcome, I haven't tested the TX50E but if it works on Catalina it should work with Big Sur as well, the card seems interesting with a built-in bluetooth 5.0. Let me know how it goes when you got your hands on it.

Will do, also looking forward to the wifi 6

8 minutes ago, tunglamvghy1210 said:

I Cant find PrelinkedKernels.Staged :(((

What do you have in the Preboot volume? Maybe run a tree to show your folder structure? Make sure you entered the folder with Big Sur's UUID.

Edited by Zhen-zen