[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
886 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2023 at 10:08 AM, CloverLeaf said:

@deeveedee This would be nice! You can attach the files to the original post so it's fully documented. I believe most of the people are already using Ventura or waiting for a secure path to upgrade to Sonoma. Your dedications is always impressive! Be blessed.

For now, It seems as though my link to TonyMacx86 is allowed to remain here, so I'll save some time and ask people to follow the link for graphics DeviceProperties.

• 2 weeks later...

I did upgrade my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini EFI to OC 0.9.7 because of some other development I'm doing.  As expected, I don't observe any differences between 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 on this HackMini8,1.  The upgrade was easy, since there are no config.plist changes.  I don't have time to post the updated EFI, but it is easy to upgrade for those who are interested:

1. Start with your OC 0.9.6 EFI
  2. Upgrade OC binaries (Boot/Bootx64.efi, OC/OpenCore.efi, OC/Drivers/*.*, OC/Tools/*.*)
  3. Upgrade OC/Kexts/AppleALC.kext version 1.8.7 -> version 1.8.8
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I received a PM indicating that my posted OC 0.9.6 EFI is not working for those attempting to install macOS via USB installer.  Is anyone else having this problem with my posted OC 0.9.6 EFI?

Microsoft is forcing my hand by discontinuing macOS support for some of the developer tools I use on this hack.  Unfortunately, I'll need to switch to Windows if I want to continue using these tools, so I will be installing Windows 11 on this EliteDesk 800 G5 and will be reducing my use of macOS.

I'll still be visiting this forum and providing occasionally updates, but not nearly as frequently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is killing me to install Windows on this HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini. Sonoma runs PERFECTLY on this Hackmini8,1.  Cursing M$ right now. :(

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

It is killing me to install Windows on this HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini. Sonoma runs PERFECTLY on this Hackmini8,1.  Cursing M$ right now. :(

Why not both ? Two PCIe ports are available for nvme drives.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2024 at 8:18 PM, CloverLeaf said:

Why not both ? Two PCIe ports are available for nvme drives.

Three drives if you follow my instructions here.  Definitely agree that multi-booting is easy and installing Windows is even easier - it's just not something I wanted to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

Three drives if you follow my instructions here.  Definitely agree that multi-booting is easy and installing Windows is even easier - it's just not something I wanted to do.

Yes, I have used my Mini with 2 NVMEs + 1 Sata SSD but it gets hot inside without the perforated top cover like mine. I work on Windows but Mac gives me more pleasure just to browse :) 

21 hours ago, CloverLeaf said:

Yes, I have used my Mini with 2 NVMEs + 1 Sata SSD but it gets hot inside without the perforated top cover like mine. I work on Windows but Mac gives me more pleasure just to browse :) 

I did try to warn users about potential thermal issues here.  You and others provided some of the feedback that lead to those comments.

My EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini 65W has i9-9900, perforated lid, SATA cooling fan and copper CPU heatsink with replaced thermal compound.  No heat issues (although the CPU is throttled as has been discussed earlier in this thread) and CPU fan remains quiet during most operation.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my hack does have two WD SN750 Black NVMe SSDs and a 2TB 7200RPM SATA HD.

Edited by deeveedee

I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to Open Core 0.9.8, but if you want to, it's an easy upgrade.  Start with the OC 0.9.6 EFI attached to Post #1, update the OC binaries and upgrade AppleALC.kext to 1.8.9.  There are no required changes to the OC config.plist.

OC 0.9.6/7 -> OC 0.9.8

• EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers/*.*
  • EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Tools/*.*
  • EFI/OC/Kexts
    • AppleALC.kext -> 1.8.9
  • Like 2

The migration of my Visual Studio (VS) development environment from macOS to Windows has been easier than I expected.  I have migrated my mobile apps (Android and iOS) development from macOS / VS 2022 to Windows / VS 2022 with minimal changes.  In my opinion, Microsoft has done an amazing job, so I may need to reconsider my M$-bashing. 

In order for VS on Windows to build / deploy iOS apps, the Windows VS instance must connect to XCode (runnning in macOS).  I now have one platform running macOS / XCode and Visual Studio 2022 running in Windows 11 on another platform.  Building, debugging and deploying iOS and Android apps in VS on Windows is virtually identical to my experience in macOS.  For those using Visual Studio in macOS who want to continue use of VS after support ends in macOS, the path to Windows is seamless.

• Like 1

Hi @deeveedee, thanks for all your effort with this miniHack. I can confirm that everything works as you said with your EFI folder OC9.6 on my Elitedesk 800 G5 mini. This machine is just the i5-9500T variation but will fit my purpose. I have just some small questions about it.

I have updated to OC 9.8 i run Sonoma 14.3.1 and use the latest Bios (19), thats all good.

1. If I try an other smbios, 19.1, all USB ports stops to work, however it boots ok. It seems a good idea to match the Cpu with a serie 9 smbios. Maybe its just a matter of redo the mapping? 

2. If I install a second nvme card (Linux) the machine will not start. Kernel crash at com.apple.IOStorageFamily (2.1). Have not yet found a solution for that. Machine works fine with Linux and Windows 11 on separate nvme cards.

3. In order to dualboot from OC startscreen, is there something I can change? Adding drivers for Linux is not enough.

You did a fantastic job with blocking these RTC resets. I read about it and implemented it on my HP elitebook 830 G5, and it works great!

@danilovitch Glad this helped you.

1. Read 'If you make SMBIOS changes' in Known Issues
  2. There shouldn't be any issues with a second NVMe SSD.  Are you using an NVMe that is compatible with macOS?  Read this and this
  3. Read this

I can't take credit for the RTC fix.  It's a standard technique adopted from my CLOVER days.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:24 AM, deeveedee said:

@danilovitch Glad this helped you.

1. Read 'If you make SMBIOS changes' in Known Issues
  2. There shouldn't be any issues with a second NVMe SSD.  Are you using an NVMe that is compatible with macOS?  Read this and this
  3. Read this

I can't take credit for the RTC fix.  It's a standard technique adopted from my CLOVER days.

Hi, Thanks! You were right I had the wrong brand of nvme. My Linux partitions were on a Micron 2200 and thats why I got the kernel crash. I just cloned them to a Kingston nvme and problem is gone. About the multiboot within OC. I have multiboot running on all my other computers. There was never a real problem on the others so I did not expect it to not work. But obviously I missed something this time. Usually one of the ways use to work in the link you gave.

Update: I forgot to put ScanPolicy to 0. It all works now.

Edited by danilovitch
Update
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have the HP 800 Mini G4 and tried to upgrade to sonoma and lost the wifi.

I have found some kexts for it to get it to work but am unsure how to go about installing them?

Anyone got any ideas? 

I have found some guides on github but am not 100% sure I can post these here   https://github.com/billabongbruno/macOS-Sonoma-Broadcom-Wifi  https://github.com/perez987/Broadcom-wifi-back-on-macOS-Sonoma-by-OCLP

• Like 1

@logyon If you are using Broadcom Wi-Fi, then the links you posted have the answers to your own question.  Follow the discussion here.  The Wi-Fi issue that you are experiencing is not unique to this HackMini.  Read the links you posted to learn more.

• Like 1

I have ordered the AX210 Intel WiFi card for my device, and I am currently waiting for it to arrive. Unfortunately, I had some issues with my installation and had to reinstall everything on a non-SSD 2.5 inch drive. I am currently running Venture OS and believe that I have OpenCore 9.8 up and running. However, I am facing some trouble with the Ethernet as it's not working. The Broadcom card works for WiFi, but I am unable to use Bluetooth on my device at the moment along with imessage, facetime etc 

Any advise on what I need to do to fix it?  I am still at a lost with what I am doing I have been using the predefined efi for years and just updated my serials ect that I needed to something new for my own device.

Edited by logyon
adding correct wifi card model

I am looking for to get this all working properly under ventura with the broadcom card

Then i am looking to also have an efi file that works with sonoma and the ax210 intel wifi 6 card when that arrives.

Is anyone able to help prepare the efi files so i can just replace my serial numbers and then dump them in the efi partition like i have done previously.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd4a42eca7c3c33b729cfe685f9cfe6a.jpeg

EFI.zip

Edited by logyon

Posted (edited)

@logyon I looked at your EFI very briefly and immediately noticed the following:

• When using FeatureUnlock.kext, you do not need EFICheckDisabler.kext (use one or the other, not both) this is wrong. I was mixing up FeatureUnlock and RestrictEvents (not the first time).  Please disregard this bullet.
  • Your USBPorts.kext is missing port HS14 which is required for working Bluetooth.  Read these instructions.

I don't know why your Ethernet is not working. Check your BIOS settings and compare them to the BIOS config document attached here.

Which Broadcom Wi-Fi card are you using?

Edited by deeveedee
Deleted incorrect statement about FeatureUnlock.kext
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, logyon said:

I have ordered the AX200 Intel WiFi card for my device, and I am currently waiting for it to arrive. Unfortunately, I had some issues with my installation and had to reinstall everything on a non-SSD 2.5 inch drive. I am currently running Venture OS and believe that I have OpenCore 9.8 up and running. However, I am facing some trouble with the Ethernet as it's not working. The Broadcom card works for WiFi, but I am unable to use Bluetooth on my device at the moment along with imessage, facetime etc 

Any advise on what I need to do to fix it?  I am still at a lost with what I am doing I have been using the predefined efi for years and just updated my serials ect that I needed to something new for my own device.

What is exact device-id of your ethernet chip?

@Slice It's a good question.  Logyon claims to be using the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini PC documented in this thread.  If so, Ethernet is I219-LM which is supported by IntelMausi.kext.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Someone else PM'd me to say that the USB installer they created using my posted EFI does not see the USB installer.  I thought that I had fixed this here.  I am testing again to see if I can duplicate the problem.  For now, if you are having this problem, change ScanPolicy in OC config.plist to 0.

OC config.plist: Misc > Security > ScanPolicy

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-06at9_32_17AM.png.ffa9f66c7965396952386ef5a9a78ade.png

EDIT: I am unable to duplicate the USB installer problems that two users have reported to me via PM.  To test, I created a Sonoma USB installer and copied my EXACT EFI from Post #1 to my USB installer EFI.  I added my personal PlatformInfo to the OC config.plist.  The newly created USB installer works perfectly (for me) with the posted EFI.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1