[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
886 posts in this topic

I am currently running Ventura 13.6.1 with Open Core 0.9.4 on my HackMini8,1 (I'm skipping OC 0.9.5 on this hack and will upgrade when 0.9.6 is released).  I did not automatically receive an Xcode 15.0.1 update notification (not sure why, I have application updates enabled), so I needed to browse to "Update Xcode from Apple AppStore" from the Apple Developer site.  After browsing to the App Store from Apple's Developer website, the Xcode 15.0.1 update was available.

Installed Sonoma 14.2 Beta without issues.  Open Core 0.9.4.

About This Hack

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-11-03at7_31_47PM.png.4e841e6ab85618fe23e8a22b6e0a8af6.png

Note that I do not have Wi-Fi in my HackMini8,1.

Screenshot2023-11-03at8_14_37PM.png.656d48750c12b94502f524057f31ba06.png

EDIT: I am currently running with VT-d enabled and a modified DMAR table that does not include the XHC Reserved Memory Region.  I have not yet tested Sonoma 14.2Beta with an unmodified DMAR table.

Edited by deeveedee

21 minutes ago, hiphopboy said:

hope you release the new EFI

Have you tested Sonoma 14.2 Beta yet?  If so, are you able to boot and run Sonoma 14.2 with VT-d enabled in BIOS and 'Kernel > Quirks > DisableIoMapper = False" in OC config.plist?

EDIT: I don't use Wi-Fi/Bluetooth in my HackMini8,1 and am hoping that others who have Wi-Fi/Bluetooth in their EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini can test and determine whether DMAR table needs to be modified for Sonoma 14.2.  To test, enable VT-d in BIOS, set 'Kernel > Quirks > DisableIoMapper = False" in OC config.plist and boot/run Sonoma 14.2 Beta without modifying DMAR table.

Edited by deeveedee

@hiphopboy Your "About This Mac" indicates "800 G4 SFF" which is different from the EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini documented in this thread.  Are you testing Sonoma 14.2 on an EliteDesk SFF or an EliteDesk Mini?

EDIT: Also, are you testing with Wi-Fi and if so, which Wi-Fi card are you using?

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ThExSenatoR said:

Im having high cpu utilization under Monterey while watching YouTube videós under Firefox, anyone else experiening this too? Cpu load between 80-120%, very annoying :(

Using EFI from first post, only mod is that I have DP audio enabled.

Does CPU utilization drop if you disable DP audio?

EDIT: I performed a quick YouTube video test with Firefox.

YouTube CPU utillzation as reported by Activity Monitor (Firefox 116.0.2, Monterey 12.6.3, OC 0.9.4 EFI, AppleALC.kext 1.8.3):

Spoiler

ScreenShot2023-11-07at8_35_38AM.png.e75832ac5f1c9932459a3240fe58da16.png

YouTube CPU utillzation as reported by Activity Monitor (Firefox 119.0., Sonoma 14.2 Beta (23C5030f), OC 0.9.4 EFI, AppleALC.kext 1.8.3):

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-11-07at8_48_57AM.png.ba9832f7681060bb390376cd15f9a44a.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ThExSenatoR said:

You nailed it! Dropped down between 20-48%. Thank You :)

I only told you what you already knew.  Now we just need to figure out why. ;)  

@ThExSenatoR Can you upgrade AppleALC.kext to 1.8.7 and try again?  I just booted Sonoma 14.2 Beta with OC 0.9.6 EFI and AppleALC.kext 1.8.7.  It appears to me that Firefox CPU utils have dropped when viewing Youtube with Firefox 119.

YouTube CPU utillzation as reported by Activity Monitor (Firefox 119.0., Sonoma 14.2 Beta (23C5030f), OC 0.9.6 EFI, AppleALC.kext 1.8.7):

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_19_34AM.png.9c9043ec1ec264cb98dee414a537f9e1.png

Edited by deeveedee

I have attached an updated EFI to Post #1 based on Open Core 0.9.6.  This new EFI modifies the ACPI DMAR table as explained in the change log below, so users of this EFI should enable VT-d in BIOS.  I have tested this EFI with Ventura and Sonoma.  The change log below includes changes for OC 0.9.4 and OC 0.9.6 since I never posted my OC 0.9.4 EFI.

Changes for OC 0.9.6 EFI

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Upgrade AppleALC.kext 1.8.4 -> 1.8.7
    • Upgrade RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.2 -> 1.1.3
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Add Booter > Quirks > FixupAppleEfiImages (Boolean, False)
    • Add UEFI > Quirks > ShimRetainProtocol (Boolean, False)
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools

Changes for OC 0.9.4 EFI

• EFI/OC/config.plist
    • ACPI > Add: Added DMAR
    • ACPI > Delete: Dropped system DMAR
    • Kernel > Quirks > DisableIoMapper = False
  • EFI/OC/ACPI
    • Add DMAR.aml (removed all Reserved Regions except Graphics Reserved Region - same as Real MM8,1)
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

I only told you what you already knew.  Now we just need to figure out why. ;)  

@ThExSenatoR Can you upgrade AppleALC.kext to 1.8.7 and try again?  I just booted Sonoma 14.2 Beta with OC 0.9.6 EFI and AppleALC.kext 1.8.7.  It appears to me that Firefox CPU utils have dropped when viewing Youtube with Firefox 119.

YouTube CPU utillzation as reported by Activity Monitor (Firefox 119.0., Sonoma 14.2 Beta (23C5030f), OC 0.9.6 EFI, AppleALC.kext 1.8.7):

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_19_34AM.png.9c9043ec1ec264cb98dee414a537f9e1.png

Updated to AppleALC 1.87 the situation hasnt change with DP Audio + YT. :(

Currently two solutions are working, it seems I have trouble with VP9 codec?.... :

1. Install h264ify plugin to Firefox

2. Using external sound card.

:)

10 minutes ago, ThExSenatoR said:

Updated to AppleALC 1.87 the situation hasnt change with DP Audio + YT. :(

Currently two solutions are working, it seems I have trouble with VP9 codec?.... :

1. Install h264ify plugin to Firefox

2. Using external sound card.

The CODEC could definitely be an issue.  Good catch.  What external sound card?  Are you using this external sound card with EliteDesk 800 Mini and if so, what interface?

2 hours ago, ThExSenatoR said:

...under Windows 11 this problem is not existing. Weird :)

I think this means that Windows or the Windows driver incorporates a more efficient implementation of the required CODEC or the Windows driver enables a hardware CODEC in your sound card.  You may be able to search for other variations of the required CODEC to see if there are alternatives for macOS.  A CODEC can certainly drive CPU utilization if it is not written efficiently.  Also, a driver that does not enable a hardware CODEC (requiring a software CODEC) can also drive CPU utilization.

EDIT: Having said all that, I don't know why you see the increased CPU utilization only when sound is enabled over DP.

Edited by deeveedee

11 hours ago, ThExSenatoR said:

Im having high cpu utilization under Monterey while watching YouTube videós under Firefox, anyone else experiening this too? Cpu load between 80-120%, very annoying :(

Using EFI from first post, only mod is that I have DP audio enabled.

no, i'm not

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 7.29.43 AM.png

@hiphopboy That screenshot confirms it.  Thanks!

I'm going to assume that you continue to post HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF test results in this EliteDesk Mini thread.  You're welcome to do what you like, but if they are SFF test results, they are not relevant to this thread.

Solved the problem.

- Updated to Monterey 12.7.1

- Updated AppleALC and WEG

- Switched to Platform ID 07009B3E + deleted all framebuffer-con-flags-busid-index-type

- Switched to Ffox nightly

Everything running smooth like butter. :)

Edited by ThExSenatoR
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ThExSenatoR said:

- Switched to Platform ID 07009B3E + deleted all framebuffer-con-flags-busid-index-type

That's great!  Did you determine which of the changes fixed your CODEC/CPU issue?

Just a reminder to everyone that the EFI attached to post #1 is for my hack which uses DP->DVI adapters for graphics.  As stated in the instructions: "The graphics DeviceProperties in the provided config.plist are for systems using DP->DVI adapters for their displays. You may need to edit your own config.plist DeviceProperties if you are using different displays (e.g. if you are using DP or HDMI ports without adapters)."

• Like 1

To be honest I dont know... I applied the changes almost at the same time because I was frustrated and angry :):)

Regarding the graphics settings, I remembered that you are using adapters so after checking the config.plist I saw the framebuffer settings and immediately deleted them (like I always did before), because I have the 3xDP model.

Long story short, cpu usage is between 16% and 40% while watching YT in Ffox or Safari with DPaudio or with external sound card after making the changes I mentioned above.

Edited by ThExSenatoR

• 4 weeks later...

@ThExSenatoR Sorry for the delayed reply.  My EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini is still running with BIOS R21 2.15.00.

EDIT: I just looked at the HP website for BIOS updates and now the latest BIOS showing for the EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini is 2.14.01.  Strange.

Edited by deeveedee

After reviewing the commits for OC 0.9.7, I have decided that I will not be upgrading my OC EFI on this hack.  The EFI that I posted for OC 0.9.6 is working perfectly and I see nothing in 0.9.7 that would benefit this hack.  I also do not see any kext updates that would benefit this hack.  For now, I will be remaining on OC 0.9.6.

• Like 4

When I was maintaining this thread in both InsanelyMac and TonyMacx86, I had started collecting DeviceProperties for different graphics configs here.  I stopped maintaining the TonyMacx86 thread (just didn't have the bandwidth to do both) and I never copied the graphics configs to InsanelyMac.  Would having the graphics configs here in InsanelyMac be helpful?

• Like 1