[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
886 posts in this topic

Currently have the following broadcom card - BCM94360NG

@logyon Start with the EFI that I attached to Post #1.  Add your personal PlatformInfo to the OC config.plist.  Modify USBPorts.kext to include port HS14 (for Bluetooth).  Make sure that Bluetooth and Ethernet are enabled in your BIOS.  

It's been a while since I used BCM94360NG, but if I remember correctly, with Ventura, your BCM94360NG works natively, so you do not need to include any Brcm kexts.

Carefully follow the instructions here.

I think its this one  Ethernet is I219-LM 

I do not have my new Intel Ax210 card its in the post.

This was the EFI was using back in November 2022, and it was working.

Not sure what has changed since then - I have dual boot with windows 11 and it all works fine under win 11

EFI Edited 2.zip

Edited by logyon

Posted (edited)

@logyon What do you notice about USBPorts.kext in your November 2022 EFI (EFI Edited 2 posted here) that is different from your EFI where Bluetooth is not working?

Hint

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-06at10_32_55AM.png.b59985c1f46ef267604c589e51b68a9c.png

Please read the instructions here and carefully review this thread.  It may take a while to read, but it will be worth it for you to learn the basics.

EDIT:  @logyon  One other thing... when you switch between Windows and macOS and when you make any EFI changes, Reset NVRAM (option in OC boot menu) before booting macOS.

Edited by deeveedee

I haven't had a chance to make those changes yet.

I did notice yesterday after reputting the folder back in the efi area on my drive that I now have working wifi Bluetooth and ethernet.

I did notice that my ethernet connection on the actual port keeps on going on and off, so I'm not sure if it's a faulty cable or port.

I will need to try a new cable and see if it makes a difference when the machine is laying flat to be on its side.

I updated back to 9.8 as the earlier one was an older version.

I wasn't able to properly see where I needed to edit the scan policy, etc. what tool are you using on Mac?

I have Ocat and configurator installed, but I am very confused.

I would also like to ask how I would go about getting iMessage, airdrop and facetime working under venture - is this down to my serial number etc?

Last question: is it possible to use two wifi cards within this device, ie add the intel and new aerials and have it utilise the other slot with an adapter? 

or use a sata to m2 adapter to add more m2 drives to the device

Edited by logyon

Posted (edited)

EDIT: I stumbled upon the solution to set SecureBootModel=Disabled for Sonoma 14.4+ installation as a lucky guess based on my testing with OCLP.  I see that others had this SecureBootModel solution at least a month before I did.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the EFI attached to Post #1 (upgraded to OC 0.9.8), my HackMini 8,1 upgraded as follows:

• Ventura 13.6.4 -> 13.6.5 via OTA, no issues
  • Sonoma 14.3.1 -> 14.4 using full installer (OTA did not work for me).  After upgrade to Sonoma 14.4, no issues.
    I had left my Sonoma upgrade to operate unattended.  I just noticed that it did not actually upgrade (still on 14.3.1).  I will need to retest the upgrade from 14.3.1 -> 14.4 when I have time.

EDIT: Now that I have switched my development environment to Windows 11 (Visual Studio 2022 / .NET / MAUI), I am using my HackMini8,1 to run Xcode so that I can publish iOS apps from Visual Studio / Windows.  This setup works PERFECTLY.  I just published iOS apps using this arrangement without any issues.

EDIT2: 14.4 installs after I changed Open Core's SecureBootModel from 'Default' to 'Disabled.'

Edited by deeveedee

55 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

Using the EFI attached to Post #1 (upgraded to OC 0.9.8), my HackMini 8,1 upgraded as follows:

• Ventura 13.6.4 -> 13.6.5 via OTA, no issues
  • Sonoma 14.3.1 -> 14.4 using full installer (OTA did not work for me).  After upgrade to Sonoma 14.4, no issues.

EDIT: Now that I have switched my development environment to Windows 11 (Visual Studio 2022 / .NET / MAUI), I am using my HackMini8,1 to run Xcode so that I can publish iOS apps from Visual Studio / Windows.  This setup works PERFECTLY.  I just published iOS apps using this arrangement without any issues.

Are you running both Windows 11 and macOS on your mini machine? I'm curious to know if you're using WiFi or only Ethernet for internet connectivity. 

I think the issue might be with my cable, as I've noticed some instability. I've purchased a new one to try tonight. After wiggling the cable, I can see it on both Windows 11 and macOS, so I'm hopeful that the new cable will solve the problem.

Gonna wait until my new wifi card arrives before I upgrade to Sonoma, I think.  Any ideas on the other questions I had

I would also like to ask how I would go about getting iMessage, Airdrop, and Facetime working under Venture—is this down to my serial number, etc.? I will look into trying your efi in your opening post again tonight.

Last question: is it possible to use two wifi cards within this device, ie add the intel and new aerials and have it utilise the other slot with an adapter or use a sata to m2 adapter to add more m2 drives to the device

@logyon I believe that my teaching style is not compatible with your learning style.  I would like someone else to step in to help you.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

EDIT: I stumbled upon the solution to set SecureBootModel=Disabled for Sonoma 14.4+ installation as a lucky guess based on my testing with OCLP.  I see that others had this SecureBootModel solution at least a month before I did.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Leaving this post for historical reasons.  So far, the only way I have found to install Sonoma 14.4 on this hack (MacMini8,1) is with Open Core's SecureBootModel = "Disabled."  After Sonoma 14.4 is installed, SecureBootModel can be restored to its original value. ***

Earlier, I claimed to have upgraded from 14.3.1 to 14.4.  I had performed my Sonoma upgrade "unattended" and I just noticed that I'm still on 14.3.1 (the upgrade did not happen).  I will need to test the 14.3.1 -> 14.4 upgrade again when I get time.

EDIT: 14.4 installs after I changed Open Core's SecureBootModel from 'Default' to 'Disabled.'  In OC config.plist: Misc > Security > SecureBootModel.

EDIT2: My Sonoma 14.4 installation methodology is as follows:

1. Create USB installer with Sonoma 14.4
  2. Add a new APFS volume
  3. Copy Open Core EFI to the USB installer that you created in Step 1.
  4. Change Misc > Security > SecureBootModel in the USB Open Core config.plist to "Disabled"
  5. Boot with the USB installer and install Sonoma 14.4 to the new APFS volume you created in Step 2
  6. Use Migration Assistant to migrate from your original Sonoma volume (e.g. Migrate from Sonoma 14.3.1)
  7. Reboot from your unmodified OC EFI (with SecureBootModel = "Default")

About This Hack: Sonoma 14.4

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-03-08at5_47_55PM.png.073b76798f7abf2026649edec21d472d.png

EDIT3: For those who want to experiment further with SecureBootModel, see here.  It may be that we need to modify the OC config.plist for our HackMini8,1.  I haven't tested variations of SecureBootModel and welcome testing and feedback from others.

EDIT4: I tested installation of Sonoma 14.4 on my hack (MacMini8,1) with SecureBootModel = "j174."  It does not work.  The only way I have found to install 14.4 on my hack is with SecureBootModel = "Disabled".  After installation of 14.4, I can restore the original value of SecureBootModel for normal operation.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

On 3/8/2024 at 4:55 PM, deeveedee said:

@logyon I believe that my teaching style is not compatible with your learning style.  I would like someone else to step in to help you.  Good luck.

The teacher is correct the student is not paying attention.

Student sits in the corner to read the thread again 🫡

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@logyon A patient and persistent student who does not give up will eventually become the teacher.  Looking forward to learning from you.

EDIT: The Devs are publishing Open Core 0.9.9 (should be available soon after this post).  I don't see any OC 0.9.9 updates that are required for this hack, so I won't be updating the OC 0.9.6 EFI attached to Post #1.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@logyon A patient and persistent student who does not give up will eventually become the teacher.  Looking forward to learning from you.

EDIT: The Devs are publishing Open Core 0.9.9 (should be available soon after this post).  I don't see any OC 0.9.9 updates that are required for this hack, so I won't be updating the OC 0.9.6 EFI attached to Post #1.

I did notice that they had upgraded open core - doesn't look to me anything of interest.

How did you get on when you tried the intel ax210 wifi card - Mine arrived today.

I still have to install it and test it under windows 11 and get it working under Ventura and then upgrade to Sonoma.

Posted (edited)

@logyon Now that you're an experienced "hacker," shift your hacking approach from 'asking questions' to 'finding answers.'  Look at threads like this for the answers you seek.  Also look at the documentation for itlw Open Wireless.  

When you find the answers, contribute your findings to the appropriate thread for that specific solution.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

I now have Bluetooth working under the ax210 opencore 9.8 under ventura.

I am still playing about to get the wifi working without using heliport.

Then will tackle updating to sonoma

all working under ventura 13.5.6. intel ax210 

sonoma upgrade to tacke next

If someone is able to install Sonoma 14.4 on this hack without temporarily setting SecureBootModel=Disabled, I'd love to know your solution.

Having a look at my efi i think my one is set to default.

I have managed to get Sonoma 14.4 on to a separate aps volume under my current Mac Ventura drive however it will not boot.

The installer shows up in the open core boot menu and can be selected then loads half ways and then the system restarts.

I had been trying the method of downloading the full installer not from within the app store and then running it, extracting the larger installer and then running that selecting the correct partition/volume to install it on.

Any ideas?

Now looking in to creating a Sonoma installer to install it from USB next 

4 minutes ago, logyon said:

Having a look at my efi i think my one is set to default.

Exactly.

Could be the way i have done it thats causing issues.

Resized my normal mac hd

Created a new aps volume

Then downloaded the sonoma full install assistant pkg

Run the installer and selected the sonoma volume

Then opened finder located the sonoma volume

Nagivated in and then launched the mac os Sonoma install app

Run that and installed it on the Sonoma Volume

Installs after a long period

A new entry then appears in the open core boot picker macosisntaller

I have just tried in my config list the following to see if it booted the mac os installer from the boot picker with it being on the sonoma partition and still the same result - it loads half way and then restarts and back to the boot picker screen. Sonoma 14.4.  Have not tried 14.3.1 installer. 

I am looking to dual boot two mac os versions on the same 2.5 hard drive - Ventura and then the Sonoma and any future ones that should work before i look at getting a second hard drive caddy and then modding that to have a 3rd ssd in for an alternative mac os version which is my ideal solution in the future but that will need to wait for now.

• default - this was originally set - loads half way and then restarts
  • disabled -  loads half way and then restarts
  • x86 legacy - loads half way and then restarts

I will try and create a Sonoma installer from within Ventura directly to usb later on this afternoon or tomorrow to see what happens. 

My other thought was put Catalina back on the second aps volume and then upgrade all way to Sonoma that way but its time consuming.

Edited by logyon

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@logyon If you follow my instructions here, 14.4 installation works.  Keep trying and report back when you've succeeded.

Yes thats was what i was planning on doing after my visitors this afternoon had left.

I will let you know how i get on.

Thanks for your help so far everyone.

Created and installer and that loads. Yipee

Copied over my existing efi folder  to the sonoma installer drive and made sure on the pen drive the secureboot was set to disabled. (my original efi is set to this as well)

Was able to boot in to the installer and start the install.

It counts down till about 15 mins or less left then restarts

Then i get the normal bootloader from open core.  I can then see the mac os installer again, my original mac os hd, my windows 11 drive and not the new partition.

Any idea what i am missing?

On a side note unrelated i have at some point managed to create a extra Windows entry in open core so it goes

1. Windows - This one doesn't work - How would i remove it

2. Windows - Win 11 

3. Mac Sonoma Installer

4. Macintosh HD - Ventura

5. Recovery 13.6.x

6. Clear NVRam 

Posted (edited)

@logyon Always post your current EFI with requests for help.  Someone will be able to review it and assist you.

EDIT: Also, always Reset NVRAM (from Open Core's boot menu) before starting a new macOS install).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Sucess managed to get 14.4 on.

Rookie error. i was creating my partition volume aps within ventura first before trying to install it from the usb at the boot menu

Now managed to get it installed on the second partition volume.  use the disk utility from with in the installer.

Just need to work out why i cant get the wifi working under sonoma with the ax210 card like ventura works.

Strangely - imessage had started working under ventura (wifi and Ethernet) and sonoma with the (Ethernet)connected.

I have a question to ask - Can you have more than one of the same kext for drivers in the same folder and allow opencore/config to select the correct one? When booting between two os?

Posted (edited)

@logyon It would be best for you to ask Intel Wi-Fi questions in a thread dedicated to that (like this).  Open Core does provide a mechanism to make kext injection conditional on the kernel version.  Read the Open Core documentation to learn about MinKernel and MaxKernel settings in the Open Core config.plist.  Note that MinKernel and MaxKernel specify the kernel version which is different from but correlated to the macOS version.  By specifying MinKernel and MaxKernel for each kext in the OpenCore config.plist, you can control loading of kexts for specific versions of macOS.

Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing your Intel Wi-Fi progress in the Intel Wi-Fi thread.

EDIT: when you (or anyone) ask for help, provide your Open Core version, your macOS version and attach your EFI (with personal PlatformInfo removed).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1