[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
886 posts in this topic

@Jazzoo That's awesome!  If anyone needs proof that USB is working well on these HackMini's - that's fairly good proof.

It is clear that I had incorrectly concluded that the _PTS fix here (adding a delay to the end of _PTS) was necessary to allow storage reads/writes to finish for the "slower" SATA SSD.  Your mechanical, USB-connected HD is even slower and it doesn't need the _PTS fix.  Hmmm...

• Like 2

I just noticed that HP has updated their EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini specs page to indicate that the SATA drive caddy is not available if a second M.2 storage device is installed.  I'm not sure when this page was updated, but when I purchased my Mini, this storage limitation wasn't clear.  If you want to install 2 x M.2 storage devices and still use your SATA caddy (for a total of 3 storage devices like I have), follow my instructions here.  I have made this mod to 4 Minis now and they all work perfectly with two NVMe drives and a SATA HD.

HP's updated storage specs

Spoiler

467041574_ScreenShot2022-08-04at10_23_49AM.png.fd813fe4cd139b2299f8ec595408efae.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 If you use PlistEdit Pro to open the sample config.plist from the EFI that I have provided in Post #1, can you see the LoadEarly property in each UEFI > Driver?

Yes I see all the LoadEarly property in every UEFI (Drivers).
I use your EFI in Monterey.
I only added OpenCanopy.efi and icons to Resources.
PlistEdit Pro does not show me the LoadEarly option now. Apple's XCode doesn't show me LoadEarly either. I don't know why.
But now I'm wondering if I have to add it manually as it is in your original EFI.

@luky35 If you started with my config.plist that I provide in the EFI attached to Post #1 (which includes LoadEarly) and you later determined that LoadEarly has been removed from the same config.plist, then you either deleted the LoadEarly property (unlikely) or the LoadEarly property was deleted by a tool that you used (possibly an older version of OCAT?).

I would suggest that you start over with the EFI / config.plist that I have provided in Post #1 and carefully customize the EFI for your own rig.

I can only guess at the reasons why LoadEarly has been deleted and don't want to spend time debugging configurator tools in this thread.  If you think there is a problem with configurator tools that you use to edit your config.plist, please post those issues in the appropriate thread.  Thank you.

EDIT: If you think that you have found bugs in OCAT or there is something about OCAT that you find confusing, you can post your OCAT issues here.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 If you started with my config.plist that I provide in the EFI attached to Post #1 (which includes LoadEarly) and you later determined that LoadEarly has been removed from the same config.plist, then you either deleted the LoadEarly property (unlikely) or the LoadEarly property was deleted by a tool that you used (possibly an older version of OCAT?).

I would suggest that you start over with the EFI / config.plist that I have provided in Post #1 and carefully customize the EFI for your own rig.

I can only guess at the reasons why LoadEarly has been deleted and don't want to spend time debugging configurator tools in this thread.  If you think there is a problem with configurator tools that you use to edit your config.plist, please post those issues in the appropriate thread.  Thank you.

EDIT: If you think that you have found bugs in OCAT or there is something about OCAT that you find confusing, you can post your OCAT issues here.

@deeveedee I found that OCAT wiped out certain settings in my config.plist so I won't be using it again.
I'm re-editing your EFI now, it's working great.
Thank you for your help and advice.

• Confused 1

Just a fast update. After fixing all the problematic sections in my EFI as adviced by @deeveedee my bluetooth problem is gone! No more cpu peaks. I'm trying so hard to find a problem last 2 days but everything seems rock solid. I think removing the usb kexts did the trick. Ventura testing is on the way. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

I made some minor updates to my OC 0.8.3 EFI which are now included in the new OC0.8.3-EFI-R002 attached to Post #1.  These minor updates are not critical and simply correct unnecessary quirks that I had enabled when I was first creating this hack.  The changes are as follows:

OC 0.8.3 EFI R002
   EFI/OC/config.plist

• Changed ACPI > Quirks > RebaseRegions from True to False
  • Changed ACPI > Quirks > NormalizeHeaders from True to False

EDIT: I would direct you to some discussion about RebaseRegions, but that other thread turned into a dumpster fire and has been deleted. 😂

Edited by deeveedee

@deeveedee hi,

I got the BCM94360NG Wifi today and put it in the PC (photo attached).
In Bios, under System Options, I ticked M.2 WLAN BT.
After launch I can see Wifi connection and AirDrop in Finder.
Unfortunately Bluetooth doesn't work and I don't know why, as a result AirDrop doesn't work either because there is no BT.
But I don't have any kext loaded in EFI.
Please help me how to train Bluetooth operation.

Spoiler

BCM94360NG.thumb.png.18ce29a40e92598ffe0283bcc6c41b97.png

19 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Fenvi BCM94360NG works completely OOB (Wireless and Bluetooth). No kext or anything required. But check your USB ports in case there's something wrong with power settings or port mapping. Can't think of anything else apart from a defective card. Not sure this should be treated in this thread also...

Where should I ask for help if there is a discussion for the HP EliteDesk 800 mini?

@luky35 Herve's probably right about the USB port mapping.  The EFI that I attached to Post #1 needs to be modified to support Bluetooth.  Did you edit your USB port map to include HS14?  If you don't know what I'm talking about, please read the instructions here and see this post here.  Also, please post your EFI when asking for help.

Edited by deeveedee

@luky35 Thanks for posting your EFI.  I'd like you to diagnose your own problem because I know that you are capable of doing this.  Please read the install instructions here and read this post and this post.  You are underestimating your own ability.  Please be patient with your own learning and take the time to read the instruction provided in this thread.  Thank you.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 Thanks for posting your EFI.  I'd like you to diagnose your own problem because I know that you are capable of doing this.  Please read the install instructions here and read this post and this post.  You are underestimating your own ability.  Please be patient with your own learning and take the time to read the instruction provided in this thread.  Thank you.

Thank you for the encouragement, I tried, but at the age of 74 it doesn't work as well as you young people.
I will look elsewhere for help.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, luky35 said:

at the age of 74 it doesn't work as well as you young people.

It might be your assumptions that are holding you back.  Start by adjusting your incorrect assumption about age and go from there.

• Like 1

I step forward today with the intel wifi/bt card. Since my bcm card works very well both wifi and bluetooth (thanks to @deeveedee) I decided to try the intel bluetooth as well. Wifi was easy using itlwm.kext + HeliPort. Bluetooth was little tricky. intel 9560NGW is equiped with bluetooth 5.2 which means - bluetooth not working or unstable. If somebody knows how to make it working I am willing to try and test.

Then I switched my intel 9560NGW with older one - Intel 8265NGW. This specific model is equiped with bluetooth 4.2. Started with the well known method using intelbluetoothfirmware.kext + bluetoolfixup.kext. I had to do the edit in USBPorts.kext's info.plist suggested by @deeveedee and voilla - bluetooth is working!

Here's the tricky part. After restart bluetooth was greyed out and not available. Revised my kexts, settings and stuff. Trying different versions of the kexts finally found the working combo - intelbluetoothfirmware.kext v2.0.1 + bluetoolfixup.kext v2.6.2. All my audio devices working as expected (JBL Flip 5 , Edifier TWS1 Pro, RHA MA750). Unable to pair my steelseries wireless mouse. I am using MacOS Monterey 12.5. Ventura testing is on the way.

Important:

Always put intelbluetoothfirmware kext before bluetoolfixup in config.plist.

IntelBluetoothInjector not needed.

Without the correct settings in both config.plist (EFI) and info.plist (USBPorts.kext) bluetooth will not work.

Here are the kext I am using. Happy to contribute and learn. Thank you!

IntelBluetoothFirmware + BlueToolFixup.zip

EDIT: Bluetooth is not working under Ventura, but WiFi is rock solid. Network speed as promised by my current provider. D/U - 75/75. Here it is :) I am happy.

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 22.09.37.png

Edited by Jazzoo
  • Like 1