[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
874 posts in this topic

@Hervé  - All good history of XOSI.  I am not suggesting that the original intent and most common application of XOSI was any different than what you explained.  This link suggests that BIOS developers / PC manufacturers do not test all ACPI code paths.  I extrapolated this to imply that it's best to exercise only mfg-tested ACPI code paths.   In the case of this HP EliteDesk 800 G4 / G5 Mini, HP released these rigs with official support for Windows 10 (and now 11).  For this hack, I am using XOSI to limit ACPI to Windows 10 code paths (the HP supported mode for this rig).  Based on what others have indicated, this hack works fine without XOSI (allowing the ACPI to default to operation with an unknown OS).  That's fine, too.  I just haven't tested it that way.

When HP releases BIOS updates, I am certain that they have tested the new BIOS with Windows 10 and 11.

From the link:

The larger group is the systems tested to run only Windows. Not only that, but many were tested to run with just one specific version of Windows. So even though the BIOS may use _OSI to query what version of Windows is running, only a single path through the BIOS has actually been tested. Experience shows that taking untested paths through the BIOS exposes Linux to an entire category of BIOS bugs

Edited by deeveedee

AAPL beat revenue and earnings expectations.  INTC missed both by a mile.  I think that says it all.

Edited by deeveedee

For those who like to change the "CPU Name" in About This Mac (see example below), the allowed editing has changed in macOS Ventura Beta.

For Monterey and previous macOS versions, in order to make this change:

About This Mac: Monterey

Spoiler

604931001_ScreenShot2022-07-28at5_10_25PM.png.1f72a9f6eb00f01be9671669b8f470dd.png

we needed to edit ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist like this

com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist: Monterey

Spoiler

792628921_ScreenShot2022-07-29at7_40_13AM.png.ab8385bab9169209fd8fc35cdf91274b.png

With macOS Ventura Beta, the CPU Name string must have the format: Mac Model (Description).  We cannot change the Mac Model name and we can only edit the text within the parentheses:

com.apple.SystemProfiler.plist: Ventura Beta

Spoiler

482907927_Screenshot2022-07-29at7_47_42AM.png.e9d07a7c82a143dc9e142e90e096cf3c.png

With the edit above, About This Mac -> More Info in Ventura Beta shows the following:

About This Mac: Ventura Beta

Spoiler

662599488_Screenshot2022-07-29at7_46_45AM.png.855f0c48436ca06ee1cdff5619e33d5f.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/3/2020 at 1:10 AM, deeveedee said:

Add 1 (one) to each connector index (00 -> 01, 01 -> 02, 02 -> 03).  Without this index change, my system would boot to a single display that flashed on and off

• Change all connector types to DigitalDVI (my system has DP connectors, but I am using DP->DVI adapters.  System booted to black screens without this connector type change and when I change connector types to DP.
  • Change all connector flags to 0x03C7.  Without the change in flag values, displays remained black after sleep/wake and I could not remotely connect after sleep/wake.
  • Change Bus IDs 0, 5, 4 to 1, 2, 4 respectively.  I determined this by trial and error.  There may be other Bus IDs that work, but my system booted to black screens if I did not change the Bus IDs.

Hi! Thank you for this description. It helps me with my new mini-pc, that I've got to replace my old thinkpad x230.
Method works with i7-8750h cpu and integrated uhd630

I've patched connectors and now my mini-pc works well!

• Like 1

@luky35 I do not observe any excessive processor heat when testing Ventura B4 on an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini 65W (i5-8600).  The fan stays quiet.  If you don't resolve the problem, please post your EFI for help.

Edited by deeveedee

13 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@luky35 I do not observe any excessive processor heat when testing Ventura B4 on an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini 65W (i5-8600).  The fan stays quiet.  If you don't resolve the problem, please post your EFI for help.

My HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini 35W (i5-8600T)

EFI.zip

Edited by luky35

@luky35  I quickly reviewed your EFI and see the following differences from mine.  Try removing each change one at a time to see if any of the changes resolves your "excessive heat" problem:

• You inject RestrictEvents.kext, I do not.  Try disabling RestrictEvents.kext
  • You inject AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext, I do not.  Try disabling AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext
  • You add boot-args -wegbeta -lilubeta, I do not.  Try removing -wegbeta -lilubeta.
  • You disable SIP (csr-active-config = <FF0F0000>), I do not.  Try enabling SIP (csr-active-config = <00000000>)

@deeveedee I removed the individual change in config.plist and it had no effect.
Then I removed all 4 changes just like you wrote and it doesn't work.
The processor fan runs constantly full even if I am not working on the computer and the cover above it is also very hot.
I don't know what would be wrong.

1 hour ago, luky35 said:

@deeveedee I notice that on macOS Ventura B4, the processor heats up a lot, but I don't know if this is normal or not.

Many people report it on B4

Is the price you pay for having a beta 😆

• Like 2

Thanks, @MaLd0n.  Are any other HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 mini owners experiencing excessive processor heat / constant fan when running Ventura Beta 4?  I have not seen this on my G4 and G5 units (which are 65W unit s).  I don't have any 35W units to test.

Just now, deeveedee said:

Thanks, @MaLd0n.  Are any other HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 mini owners experiencing excessive processor heat / constant fan when running Ventura Beta 4?  I have not seen this on my G4 and G5 units (which are 65W unit s).  I don't have any 35W units to test.

People report it with other hardware. I don't have any problem too in my hacks. Just work fine.

• Like 1

The only problem with my hack is the bluetooth after wake from sleep. The process is called "bluetoothd". Peaks the cpu at 100%+ and the only solution is to turn the bluetooth off and then back on.I have the same problem on my laptop since Big Sur. Never get solved. Tried everything and nothing really helps.

• Like 1

@Jazzoo I am not using Bluetooth / Wi-Fi in my HackMini, but would be happy to try to help.  If you want help, please post your current EFI.  Are your HackMini and Laptop both using BCM94360NG? 

@Jazzoo, How is your USB mapped and do you use SSDT-USBX in your EFI?

I recently discovered that the sleep power settings in my USBMap.kext or USBPort.kext and SSDT-USBX were redundant. I tested injecting these parameters and found that the kext overrides the SSDT. I settled with removing the SSDT and just using what was in the kext.

I am suspecting that the problem you are experiencing comes from the fact that you have neither... or are you using an intel card?

Edited by rafale77

@rafale77  I have the same USB Power Properties in SSDT-USBX and USPorts on both my HackMini8,1 and my HackBookPro15,2.  I don't have any issues on either platform.  My hackbook uses the BCM94360NG card and has no issues.   My HackMini has no Wi-Fi/Bluetooth.

20 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@rafale77  I have the same USB Power Properties in SSDT-USBX and USPorts on both my HackMini8,1 and my HackBookPro15,2.  I don't have any issues on either platform.  My hackbook uses the BCM94360NG card and has no issues.   My HackMini has no Wi-Fi/Bluetooth.

You have both with one overriding the other (essentially making SSDT-USBX non functional) but I am suspecting @Jazzoo to have neither so his USB doesn't sleep properly...

See below:

This is what SSDT-USBX contains

image.png.9b6040b0201c9d122ecdf97d71033251.png

And this is an excerpt from the USBMap.kext

image.thumb.png.db6a435b0aef6554ac69579a8ee91bd9.png

At the bottom, if you convert the hex to dec... you will see that they are exactly the same.

Edited by rafale77

I ran a DOE (Now you can probably guess what I do for a living...):

I deleted the section from the kext and then from the SSDT to make sure I was seeing the same values in ioreg. I then input different values in both kext and SSDT and verified what was showing in ioreg. It is always the kext value.