Customized OpenCore with additional features

n.d.k
1,348 posts in this topic

@n.d.k if you can post original icons used in your release and the original ones used in clover maybe it is possible to adjust it

i think in those example in above images , "bad" jaggies icons are created with a white backround color which is not working well when you use it in a dark environment

5 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@n.d.k if you can post original icons used in your release and the original ones used in clover maybe it is possible to adjust it

i think in those example in above images , "bad" jaggies icons are created with a white backround color which is not working well when you use it in a dark environment

Here's the link to the original one,  and NDK OC is using the same one unmodified.

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/themes/ci/master/tree/themes/Nightwish/icons/

https://github.com/n-d-k/OpenCorePkg/tree/master/Icons

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ellybz said:

You can use: 2689795 /// 0x290B03

All disks except ESP.

0x290B03 did not quite work for me.

It does not show my WIN 10 partition on a SATA drive that also contain MacOS (last Icon on the right).

It does not show my Catalina partition on an NVMe drive

A screenshot of with ScanPolicy = 0 

IMG_1599.thumb.jpg.be6b1e98da6aee06fc568ea16810b7ad.jpg

Here's a shot with ScanPolicy = 0x290B03:

IMG_1600.thumb.jpg.1edfbfa4a8394691cd8a69a856b8ec1b.jpg

OC can detect the drives but the filtering seems confused ?

• Like 1

same icons of clover packages, different background on the black one you can see jaggies (aliasing artifacts)

ie1.jpg.ca2adcf8277ce1806264bc55621a2f98.jpg

but icons posted in @LAbyOne pictures are not (it seems ) in this clover package

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

@Matgen84 it seems these icon are a diffferent package of above jaggies example..

Or I am missing something?

I am not the author. I post the icons that using for Clover: right, there is several package. Take a look to os_* files only.

hi @Matgen84

author is

@bazdreus i think and those icons are well done (tecnichal i mean)

image posted by @labyone have a set of different icons with that aliasing problem.

Icons posted from you and  @n.d.k. are good in my opinion (bazdreus's icons).

Just now, fabiosun said:

hi @Matgen84

author is

@bazdreus i think and those icons are well done (tecnichal i mean)

image posted by @labyone have a set of different icons with that aliasing problem.

Icons posted from you and  @n.d.k. are good in my opinion (bazdreus's icons).

@fabiosun  I think so Bazdreus's icons are good, the problem comes from elsewhere. With MaterialBox Bazdreus's square icons no issues at all! 

15 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@fabiosun  I think so Bazdreus's icons are good, the problem comes from elsewhere. With MaterialBox Bazdreus's square icons no issues at all! 

usually aliasing problem is a combination of different problem (resolution, color bit, palette, background) is more simple to see problem in round and colored icons

but i repeat my self,icon set n.d.k showed in above links are good.
Icons instead posted in Labyone pictures seems not to be good or bad interpreted from gui ndk interface

Edited by Guest
typo

1 hour ago, n.d.k said:

Clover is using multiple layer of images to compose the icons, I am still trying to figure out how it was done. This graphic thing is new to me, so i am learning as i go. I am all ear if anyone know how to fix this.

As long as the non-square icon will appear the phenomenon of edge sawtooth, because of the surrounding transparent color, it seems that the transparent edge processing is interfered with, can not smooth and opaque area transition, PNG decoding or color processing code is not appropriate?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, btwise said:

As long as the non-square icon will appear the phenomenon of edge sawtooth, because of the surrounding transparent color, it seems that the transparent edge processing is interfered with, can not smooth and opaque area transition, PNG decoding or color processing code is not appropriate?

The edge of the icon is translucent, not completely transparent, because it is not a vector image, so it will be partially filled with pixel color, so it will not look smooth, if you add the ability to handle translucent to completely transparent in the code, it will smooth without the sawtooth feeling!

• Like 1

@MacNB

Not sure why it's not working for you. I also have a similar config. Please see pictures below. (USB3 is only used for CCC backup)

Did you modify your OcSimpleBootMenu.c ? 

If an Icon does not appear, it's usually because 2 volumes have the same name or a conflict happens between the names. Mac & Catalina in the same name for ex.

You can differentiate them by renaming them Catalina & CATALINA ( Just an example ).Try to avoid using"Mac" for multiple volumes.

ScreenShot-.thumb.png.81a3214deb859c63c9e34f0ea09b9627.png

1167111752_ScreenShot2020-02-19at09_23_41.png.f24a49c1d6bffbe91a9969e881c57635.png

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, n.d.k said:

Here's the hint, don't sit too close to your monitor...:). if you see the artifact, you're too close...  If i know how to get rid of it i would...but it's beyond my knowledge for now.

The edge of the icon is translucent, not completely transparent, because it is not a vector image, so it will be partially filled with pixel color, so it will not look smooth, if you add the ability to handle translucent to completely transparent in the code, it will smooth without the sawtooth feeling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

same icons of clover packages, different background on the black one you can see jaggies (aliasing artifacts)

ie1.jpg.ca2adcf8277ce1806264bc55621a2f98.jpg

but icons posted in @LAbyOne pictures are not (it seems ) in this clover package

You'r right. @fabiosun

Those icons were by me.. for a clover theme i made,

and all are antialiased with transparent background..

only  thing may be different from clover's ones is the resize to 128x128 ( since originals size is 160x160) and quick export to png...

but sounds a bit strange as possible culprit for those jaggies

thank you @LAbyOne for your answer

you have to check image palette for both first or last color in it and see it 

Also you can reload your postprocessed image as is in Photoshop or similar and try to add in it a background to see if artifact are the result of your scaling and quick export operations (maybe it is here the problem)

Edited by Guest
add some lines

36 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

thank you @LAbyOne for your answer

you have to check image palette for both first or last color in it and see it 

Also you can reload your postprocessed image as is in Photoshop or similar and try to add in it a background to see if artifact are the result of your scaling and quick export operations (maybe it is here the problem)

All are processed into PS

and ofc i made a test adding a dark background before exporting to see if any artifact would appear... 

that did not happen.

so no clue at all for now :P

@LAbyOne

i am saying a different thing

take your exported and scaled icon and import it again in PS and see if in dark background you see artifacts

Quick export and a no optimised palette could be the problem

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

@LAbyOne

i am saying a different thing

take your exported and scaled icon and import it again in PS and see if in dark background you see artifacts

Quick export and a no optimised palette could be the problem

That's why I used the app Iconfly to scale down my Icons.png. I was getting weird results with Photoshop.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

But your icons are also a bit jagged right Ellybz? (Can't download your update) but when i downloaded it yesterday or so there was still small imperfections around the edges of the circles, just making sure.

Edited by cpla

49 minutes ago, cpla said:

But your icons are also a bit jagged right Ellybz? (Can't download your update) but when i downloaded it yesterday or so there was still small imperfections around the edges of the circles, just making sure.

I don't have a 4k definition but they're not as bad as @LAbyOne.( outstanding background BTW ). My biggest monitor is only a 30" Ultrawide so It does not bother me that much :hysterical:

PS: I uploaded again my Icons to the post.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ellybz said:

@MacNB

Not sure why it's not working for you. I also have a similar config. Please see pictures below. (USB3 is only used for CCC backup)

Did you modify your OcSimpleBootMenu.c ? 

If an Icon does not appear, it's usually because 2 volumes have the same name or a conflict happens between the names. Mac & Catalina in the same name for ex.

You can differentiate them by renaming them Catalina & CATALINA ( Just an example ).Try to avoid using"Mac" for multiple volumes.

No I am not using @n.d.k's custom OC but the standard release (0.5.6) so no changes to the sources. I am just using the new NdkBootPicker.efi as the an external boot picker to the standard OC.

I am booting off OC on USB3 so that has an EFI and then I have an NVMe drive with an EFI portion (with OC), a Catalina partition (called Catalina-HD) and free space partition (called NVMe-free).

Then I have a Mojave SATA drive that has an EFI (with Clover), Mojave partition (called P120GB) and a Windows 10 partition (called WIN10-Pro).

The name of each partition and macOS volume names are different.

So something strange about ScanPolicy setting.

Edited by MacNB

1 hour ago, Rocky12 said:

legacy boot attempt with Customized OpenCore 

please don't ignore my post

macOS  mojave install on SSD 

macOS  Catalina install on HDD 

i have prepared USB pin drive to Boot

i don't really know what went wrong there for i am asking you guys for help

config.plist.zip

opencore-2020-02-20-113928.txt.zip

1136624635_Screenshot2020-02-10at13_28_41.thumb.png.367572123b50e196c3a4f289c048ba63.png

Your log file shows a problem. The last line gives a clue:

112:671 00:654 OC: Plist Kexts\AppleMCEReporterDisabler\Contents\Info.plist is missing for kext AppleMCEReporterDisabler ()

And if you check your config.plist you will see the problem where you add that kext:

<dict>
	<key>BundlePath</key>
	<string>AppleMCEReporterDisabler</string>
	<key>Enabled</key>
	<true/>
	<key>ExecutablePath</key>
	<string>Contents/MacOS/AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext</string>
	<key>MaxKernel</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>MinKernel</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>PlistPath</key>
	<string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
</dict>
</plist>

You have to check the name of that kext. 

The BundlePath is probably 

AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext

and the executable patch is probably:

Contents/MacOS/AppleMCEReporterDisabler

Also, your NVRAM section seems wrong as you have a Block 2 section within a Block section:

1388103023_Screenshot2020-02-20at14_40_46.png.83b81b2d843ad449b65da76f2c5f649c.png 

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1