Customized OpenCore with additional features

n.d.k
1,348 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, MacNB said:

I am using standard OC and not NDK Fork.

The "guess fix" does more or less the same.

The scan policy = 0

I have three drives: 2 x SATA (/dev/disk0 and /dev/disk1) and one NVMe (/dev/disk3).

The first two icons (Folder with ? inside) are EFI folders (containing Clover).

The Windows icon is also on the same EFI as the second EFI icon (i.e. /dev/disk2 is dual boot).

There's also an external USB disk from which I am booting with OpenCore.

Here's disk list:

Nevermind, i think i found the problem, it's happening when the icons starting to reaching the second rows, i bet it will go away if you remove 1 entry.  But issue is issue..I will provide the fix sometimes later... Thanks for your time @MacNB

Edited by n.d.k

10 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

Nevermind, i think i found the problem, it's happening when the icons starting to reaching the second rows, i bet it will go away if you remove 1 entry.  But issue is issue..I will provide the fix sometimes later... Thanks for your time @MacNB

Yes. I just removed the NVMe drive and the boot picker displays correctly. No "snakes" :)

1 hour ago, Andrey1970 said:

@n.d.k

Create a separate topic for NdkBootPicker, it will help to avoid confusion.

Thanks for your advice, I should do that, but for the lazy of me not wanting to post the same change on both topic. I guess I am not as dedicated as you guys are...

By the way, Icons snakes issue has been fixed on both Versions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @n.d.k

Sorry for stupid question: how to have 'Autodefault=on" at startup? My problem: I've to press spacebar to hidden Tools and recovery partition.

Thanks

HideAuxiliary = No (will show all items at start up)

"            = Yes (will hide auxiliary and recovery/tools etc... at startup) 

Edited by n.d.k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings! I've just switched from Clover to this OpenCore fork and I have to say it's quite nice so thank you @n.d.k for this fork!

However, I'm running into an issue and I have several questions.

1) In Clover I had Windows 10, macOS Catalina and Arch Linux installed on different SSDs setup with custom boot entries in Clover. However, thus far I haven't figured out how to port those custom boot entries to OpenCore. I see downloading sample config.plists other users posted in this forum section that custom boot entries start with something like...

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,11-22-33-44-55-66-77-88)/HD(1,GPT,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000,0x800,0x64000)/\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI

So my first question is, how do I determine that PciRoot/Pci/NVMe/HD/etc. information needed before adding the EFI path?

2) Can you disable the boot timeout? I assume you can max it out at some absurd value, but not having a countdown to begin with be nice.

3) Regarding icons, can you set custom icons for custom boot entries? If so, how? I ask because I use custom icons for Windows, macOS Catalina and Arch Linux in Clover and I'd like to use them again if possible in OpenCore.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Awesome Donkey
  • Like 1

There is something funky going on.... I cannot change resolution

Getting error

OCC: no compatible mode for 1980x1080x0 (max:0) resolution

OC: Changed resolution for 1980x1080x0 (max:0) from 1980x1080 - Not found

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mike

14 minutes ago, Mike Ranger said:

There is something funky going on.... I cannot change resolution

Getting error

OCC: no compatible mode for 1980x1080x0 (max:0) resolution

OC: Changed resolution for 1980x1080x0 (max:0) from 1980x1080 - Not found

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mike

If you refer to previous query about background image is not showing, then you need to resize the background.png (using preview editor, Tool->Adjust size) to match with your screen resolution, not changing the resolution in config.plist.

Edited by n.d.k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Awesome Donkey said:

1) In Clover I had Windows 10, macOS Catalina and Arch Linux installed on different SSDs setup with custom boot entries in Clover. However, thus far I haven't figured out how to port those custom boot entries to OpenCore. I see downloading sample config.plists other users posted in this forum section that custom boot entries start with something like...

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,11-22-33-44-55-66-77-88)/HD(1,GPT,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000,0x800,0x64000)/\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI

So my first question is, how do I determine that PciRoot/Pci/NVMe/HD/etc. information needed before adding the EFI path?

Using the Debug version and set the Misc->Security->ScanPolicy to 0, Misc->Debug->Target to 67 in config.plist to print the log to file.

With ScanPolicy = 0, everything will be scanned, to find out the device path to use for custom entry, the easy way is to boot into OS, and open the boot log file in EFI partition, and scroll it down to the very end of the log there will be a phrase like this:

OCB: Perform boot macOS Catalina to dp PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,C7-20-B0-71-52-38-25-00)/HD(3,GPT,19A6AF21-1D8F-48F2-8A2D-99936C1D8F6C,0x11809000,0xB918948)/VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,9E98FF3F5985BA47A7B3932E0C4764D8)/\00CEED5C-B075-4252-882B-CE67ADA51166\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

The blue section is your device path for that OC use to boot to that entry.

You can repeat the step for every OS if you want to find out device path for that OS.

2) Can you disable the boot timeout? I assume you can max it out at some absurd value, but not having a countdown to begin with be nice.

Set Timeout = 0 will disable the timeout

3) Regarding icons, can you set custom icons for custom boot entries? If so, how? I ask because I use custom icons for Windows, macOS Catalina and Arch Linux in Clover and I'd like to use them again if possible in OpenCore.

Using custom icons is possible by replacing the corresponding icon in Icons folder.  Icons size need to be 128x128 pixels

• Like 1

I actually was able to figure out the first two on my own (and was in the process of posting a follow up in regards to that). :P

9 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

Using custom icons is possible by replacing the corresponding icon in Icons folder.  Icons size need to be 128x128 pixels

I have been experimenting with it. Thus far, while I can change/replace the icns files used (they are indeed 128x128), any colors in the icons aren't shown at all - they either appear glitched out or as blacked out boxes.

Finally, it's worth pointing out after setting the custom Windows 10 boot entry to...

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,62-7C-B1-71-5C-38-25-00)/HD(2,GPT,9EF29AAC-62E4-4893-AC7D-113CB4FD2A00,0x109000,0x32000)/\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI

OpenCore detects it as an unknown OS (and gives the os_custom.icns) while it should detect it at that path as Windows. Yes, I do know the device path detected in the debug log is different but I used the one I always used with Clover, so perhaps this one too should also be added as an alternative to Windows 10 instead of being an unknown OS?

EDIT: Here's the test icons I've been playing with, with no success...

TestIcons.zip

Edited by Awesome Donkey

1 minute ago, Awesome Donkey said:

I actually was able to figure out the first two on my own (and was in the process of posting a follow up in regards to that). :P

I have been experimenting with it. Thus far, while I can change/replace the icns files used (they are indeed 128x128), any colors in the icons aren't shown at all - they either appear glitched out or as blacked out boxes.

Finally, it's worth pointing out after setting the custom Windows 10 boot entry to...

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,62-7C-B1-71-5C-38-25-00)/HD(2,GPT,9EF29AAC-62E4-4893-AC7D-113CB4FD2A00,0x109000,0x32000)/\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI

OpenCore detects it as an unknown OS (and gives the os_custom.icns) while it should detect it at that path as Windows. Yes, I do know the device path detected in the debug log is different but I used the one I always used with Clover, so perhaps this one too should also be added as an alternative to Windows 10 instead of being an unknown OS?

If you modified the icons or resize it, you may lose the alpha layer for the icon. it may cause unexpected outcome of the icons.  Use unmodified Icons from any Clover's theme would works. 

With ScanPolicy set 0, there will be a lots of unknown OS if you're using other OSes. So to solve this, create a custom entry for every other OSes and set Scan Policy to Default value from Sample.plist.  Problem solved!

Icon selection for custom entries are based on the keyword in Entry Name, for ex. 10 = Window 10, win = Window, Free = Freebsd, Linux = Linux, Cata = Catalina etc...

21 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

Using the Debug version and set the Misc->Security->ScanPolicy to 0, Misc->Debug->Target to 67 in config.plist to print the log to file.

With ScanPolicy = 0, everything will be scanned, to find out the device path to use for custom entry, the easy way is to boot into OS, and open the boot log file in EFI partition, and scroll it down to the very end of the log there will be a phrase like this:

OCB: Perform boot macOS Catalina to dp PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,C7-20-B0-71-52-38-25-00)/HD(3,GPT,19A6AF21-1D8F-48F2-8A2D-99936C1D8F6C,0x11809000,0xB918948)/VenMedia(BE74FCF7-0B7C-49F3-9147-01F4042E6842,9E98FF3F5985BA47A7B3932E0C4764D8)/\00CEED5C-B075-4252-882B-CE67ADA51166\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

You can repeat the step for every OS if you want to find out device path for that OS.

Thanks a lot :) With this method, I can find pciroot for others OS (Windows for example, installed on a separate hard disk)!

8 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

Icon selection for custom entries are based on the keyword in Entry Name, for ex. 10 = Window 10, win = Window, Free = Freebsd, Linux = Linux, Cata = Catalina etc...

Here's my entry...

<dict>
                <key>Arguments</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Auxiliary</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>Windows 10</string>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,62-7C-B1-71-5C-38-25-00)/HD(2,GPT,9EF29AAC-62E4-4893-AC7D-113CB4FD2A00,0x109000,0x32000)/\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI</string>
            </dict>

But it still tries to use os_unknown.icns for the icon and I can't figure out why.

2 minutes ago, Awesome Donkey said:

Here's my entry...

<dict>
                <key>Arguments</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Auxiliary</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>Windows 10</string>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/NVMe(0x1,62-7C-B1-71-5C-38-25-00)/HD(2,GPT,9EF29AAC-62E4-4893-AC7D-113CB4FD2A00,0x109000,0x32000)/\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI</string>
            </dict>

But it still tries to use os_unknown.icns for the icon and I can't figure out why.

Try replacing this EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI wth EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi

47 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

Again suggest, this is not efficient, and in normal mode, it is necessary to add the ability to get the device path instead of everyone switching to DEBUG mode and back again

Edited by btwise
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

Try replacing this EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI wth EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi

Alright, this worked, thanks.

I'll still mess around with the icons, but even with just straight using the icons from Clover themes without any modifications still has weird visual glitches on the icons, like on the Windows icon below. I suspect it's because of the transparency indeed. Shame I can't use icons without transparency and just black 128x128 boxes with the OS' icon pasted in the middle and that might work with PNG images, but likely won't for ICNS images... at least until I can figure out how to edit ICNS files without messing up the alpha layer.

ScreenShot-2020-02-22-180249.png

Edited by Awesome Donkey

9 minutes ago, btwise said:

Once again, this is not efficient, and in normal mode, it is necessary to add the ability to get the device path instead of everyone switching to DEBUG mode and back again

I understand your concern, but this is only 1 time deal, you only need to do it one time. 

5 minutes ago, Awesome Donkey said:

I'll still mess around with the icons, but even with just straight using the icons from Clover themes without any modifications still has weird visual glitches on the icons.

Keep this in mind, Some Icons are designed for particular background color and other stuff like theme with particular setting.  So, it's kinda hit and miss thing.  Just choose one that look good for your particular background.

Edited by n.d.k
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Awesome Donkey said:

I'll still mess around with the icons, but even with just straight using the icons from Clover themes without any modifications still has weird visual glitches on the icons, like on the Windows icon below. I suspect it's because of the transparency indeed. Shame I can't use icons without transparency and just black 128x128 boxes with the OS' icon pasted in the middle and that might work with PNG images, but likely won't for ICNS images... at least until I can figure out how to edit ICNS files without messing up the alpha layer.

ScreenShot-2020-02-22-180249.png

The translucent part of the icon's edge is ruthlessly colored instead of rendered smoothly, which is a problem, but what to do about it

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, btwise said:

The translucent part of the icon's edge is ruthlessly colored instead of rendered smoothly, which is a problem, but what to do about it

Turn it off = No_alpha.png in Icons folder.

Un smooth edge of the icons are current issue, which is out of my hand for now.

Edited by n.d.k
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Awesome Donkey said:

If any of you guys find any icons (e.g. the ones for Clover themes) for Windows 10, macOS Catalina and Arch Linux that work without the graphical issue(s) or figure out how to get them working please let me know.

The bootcamp theme icon is relatively good, look at my previous posts