AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

Just now, l35l33 said:

also, previously when i use Realtek drivers in windows, i wasnt able to make the [sub/center] jack working. i connected 2 speakers in speaker jack and a sub in upper right line out jack but the sub is not outputing any sound. is yours working fine?

I only use stereo outs on my Realtek and have a external sound card for music creation.

in Catalina as far as I know you can’t use more then a stereo out as real macs don’t have surround sound or subwoofer outputs as far as I know. 

also why are you going into the bios to switch from windows to Cat?

do it from the Clover Boot selection. It works fine that way and there’s no need to change boot priority’s via the bios. Clover remembers your last choice of OS that you booted into.

3 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Just don’t restart from one os to the other that’s all.

if you want to restart windows to go back into windows then that’s fine but if you want to go from windows to Catalina just shutdown from windows and then once it’s off hit the power and boot in to macOS. It’s as simple as that really buddy. 

also why are you going into the bios to switch from windows to Cat?

do it from the Clover Boot selection. It works fine that way and there’s no need to change boot priority’s via the bios. Clover remembers your last choice of OS that you booted into.

i see... so from now on i should only need to turn off when done with one OS. i can select either in clover, so the boot priority in my bios should be set to mac's ssd.

thx a lot for the clue!!! 

Just now, l35l33 said:

i see... so from now on i should only need to turn off when done with one OS. i can select either in clover, so the boot priority in my bios should be set to mac's ssd.

thx a lot for the clue!!! 

Yes Exactly, That’s correct.

5 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

I only use stereo outs on my Realtek and have a external sound card for music creation.

in Catalina as far as I know you can’t use more then a stereo out as real macs don’t have surround sound or subwoofer outputs as far as I know. 

also why are you going into the bios to switch from windows to Cat?

no, i dont mean 2 jacks in mac, but in my aorus' realtek drivers, even in windows the sub/center jack is not working as my previous z97x gaming 7

it doesnt mean the jack is not working, the jack is working fine bcos when tested via speaker configuration the sub has audio, but when i play some music or games, windows wouldn't separate the bass to the sub

it's weird, i know

i dont know if anyone else experience this issue, though

Edited by l35l33

2 minutes ago, l35l33 said:

no, i dont mean 2 jacks in mac, but in my aorus' realtek drivers, even in windows the sub/center jack is not working as my previous z97x gaming 7

it doesnt mean the jack is not working, the jack is working fine bcos when tested via speaker configuration the sub has audio, but i play music or games, windows wouldn't separate the bass to the sub

it's weird, i know

i dont know if anyone else experience this issue, though

i know what you meant buddy don’t worry,

il have a go on mine later and see if it works. I have a sub and rears somewhere lying around. Il let you know.

i never said anything about any jacks not working I just meant it won’t work via macos that’s all ...:hysterical:

Edited by AudioGod

Just now, AudioGod said:

i know what you meant buddy don’t worry,

il have a go on mine later and see if it works. I have a sub and rears somewhere lying around. Il let you know.

thx a lot for the help, friend

it's no bother really, so i'm not in a hurry 

thx again for the tips :)

Alternative EFI - N-D-K Fork of OpenCore (31/12/2019)

Big Thanks to @texem for hes countless hours of hard work and help to bring a fully working version of OpenCore for you all to try.

We have chosen to use N-D-K's Fork of OpenCore as it works happily alongside windows and has a lot of features and changes that I wish were in the original version of OpenCore,

A massive thank you and show of Respect to @n.d.k for he's simply brilliant work.

Support on this thread for these EFIs won't be great but @texem and myself will help out where we can. 

PLEASE NOTE - All bios settings and guide notes are the same for these EFI's apart from I've set it to smbios 1,1 so your also need to set your IGPU to disabled in the bios but your welcome to try and use smbios 19,1 with IGPU enabled instead and if it works for you then please do report back and let me know.

OpenCore Fork Z390 MASTER Navi Vega.zip - Vega 56/64 Navi (5700 XT) & Radeon VII DSDT

OpenCore Fork Z390 MASTER Polaris.zip - RX Polaris Series DSDT

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

@gibbo592 Ok so let’s start again on this thread using the correct files for your build. Follow what I say to do 1 step at a time brah, I’m on hand to help you if need be :)

Use this EFI Buddy

(keep the EFI vanilla and don’t add anything to it other then your details)

Z390 Master Vega-Navi EFI.zip

You will need to reset the bios by Removing the power cable and then pulling the battery on the motherboard for a few minutes to totally clear the nvram before loading into Catalina with the new EFI for the first time.

Use the unlocked MSR Bios profile if you can and untick kernelPM in the clover config if you do use it.

as soon as you do the bios reset it will resolve it so save your bios as a profile and do a full bios reset and this will totally clear out your native nvram and the failure to allocate memory will be gone once and for all.

also do this do this

I have made this bios profile for you all to use that will unlock CFG on your motherboard making it play alot more friendly with the NVRam.

It also has all the bios settings listed on this guide pre done and saved onto the profile.

MSR Unlocked.zip

1 - Download the profile and save it to a USB Key

2 - Go into the bios,

3 - Load the profile, 

4 - Save and exit

5 - Go straight back into the bios and save your bios to a new profile and name it Default CFG Unlocked or something like that.

6 - Reset your Motherboard by removing the power cable and then remove the battery from the motherboard for a minute or two to clear out the bios fully.

7 - Go back into your bios and load back in the saved profile you made,

8 - Boot back into Catalina go into your clover config and under Kernal and Kext Patches Uncheck KernalPM 

9 - Save the changes and then restart and your done, your motherboard will now be CFG (MSR) Unlocked

PLEASE NOTE - If you reset the bios or load bios defaults it will clear the Unlock making CFG Locked again

Edited by AudioGod

10 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@gibbo592 Ok so let’s start again on this thread using the correct files for your build. Follow what I say to do 1 step at a time brah, I’m on hand to help you if need be :)

Use this EFI Buddy

You will need to reset the bios by Removing the power cable and then pulling the battery on the motherboard for a few minutes to totally clear the nvram before loading into Catalina with the new EFI for the first time.

Use the unlocked MSR Bios profile if you can and untick kernelPM in the clover config if you do use it.

as soon as you do the bios reset it will resolve it so save your bios as a profile and do a full bios reset and this will totally clear out your native nvram and the failure to allocate memory will be gone once and for all.

also do this do this

I have made this bios profile for you all to use that will unlock CFG on your motherboard making it play alot more friendly with the NVRam.

It also has all the bios settings listed on this guide pre done and saved onto the profile.

MSR Unlocked.zip

2 - Go into the bios,

3 - Load the profile, 

4 - Save and exit

5 - Go straight back into the bios and save your bios to a new profile and name it Default CFG Unlocked or something like that.

6 - Reset your Motherboard by removing the power cable and then remove the battery from the motherboard for a minute or two to clear out the bios fully.

8 - Boot back into Catalina go into your clover config and under Kernal and Kext Patches Uncheck KernalPM 

9 - Save the changes and then restart and your done, your motherboard will now be CFG (MSR) Unlocked

PLEASE NOTE - If you reset the bios or load bios defaults it will clear the Unlock making CFG Locked again

Thanks mate I’ll try tomorrow and let you know

4 minutes ago, gibbo592 said:

No problem buddy, Let me know how it goes and have a great new year :) 

by the way make sure you use bios F10 for the motherboard as that’s what my dsdt is designed for.

Edited by AudioGod

11 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Use this EFI Buddy

also do this do this

MSR Unlocked.zip

2 - Go into the bios,

3 - Load the profile, 

4 - Save and exit

Hi

Looking forward to try this on my Windows machine. After reading several nights on how to get MacOS on my build the more I read the more I got confused. The information given on several sites sometimes differs alot. :ninja:

What's given here as information seems pretty straight forward so I'm going to give it a try soon.

Currently running:

Aorus Master Z390 with F10 bios

Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200

EVO 970 NVME with W10

EVO 960 currently used as data but will be used for MacOS

WD Black 4TB for data

NVIDIA GT1030  :w00t:  not playing games on W10 atm but might change in the future.

Fractal Celcius S24 AIO cooler   problem?

I read that the NVIDIA card is not supported nevertheless Catalina would also run on iGFX which is what I want to do. What I don't is how to disable the GT1030. Could someone give correct information of how to disable it?

If it wouldn't work for Catalina installing Mojave is good for me too, my MBP 2012 is also running on Mojave.

Thanks in advance for your input / precious help & happy new year all.

Edited by decat

1 hour ago, decat said:

Hi

Looking forward to try this on my Windows machine. After reading several nights on how to get MacOS on my build the more I read the more I got confused. The information given on several sites sometimes differs alot. :ninja:

What's given here as information seems pretty straight forward so I'm going to give it a try soon.

Currently running:

Aorus Master Z390 with F10 bios

Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200

EVO 970 NVME with W10

EVO 960 currently used as data but will be used for MacOS

WD Black 4TB for data

NVIDIA GT1030  :w00t:  not playing games on W10 atm but might change in the future.

Fractal Celcius S24 AIO cooler   problem?

I read that the NVIDIA card is not supported nevertheless Catalina would also run on iGFX which is what I want to do. What I don't is how to disable the GT1030. Could someone give correct information of how to disable it?

If it wouldn't work for Catalina installing Mojave is good for me too, my MBP 2012 is also running on Mojave.

Thanks in advance for your input / precious help & happy new year all.

Hi,

Everything in your part list is good apart from the gpu. That will give you a lot of trouble and yes the only way to get the system to work would be to disable the gpu via the dsdt and then use the igpu for macOS. What would be a much better thing to do would be to get rid of the GT1030 and get a AMD RX570 instead.

the way you would like to do it will cause you pure headaches brah. 

I just wanted to take the time out to thank everybody on this thread for all the input, suggestions and fault finding that’s made the EFIs for this guide get better and better.

Without you lot our hacks wouldn’t be as stable as they are and this thread wouldn’t be possible so again thank you everybody and a very Hacky New Year To you all. :thumbsup_anim:

Heres to 2020 and some serious hard work attempting to make out Hacks even better then they already are.
Thanks again everybody, your all awesome (even the ones that annoy me sometimes you know who you all are....you keep me on my toes..lol).

@larabee @texem @MaLd0n @glasgood you guys are on a next level of awesome so an extra huge show of respect goes out to you guys as again without any of you four the two threads I maintain would not exist now. Big Love and Respect To you all. :)

HACKY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY LETS MAKE 2020 A GOOD ONE. 

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, AudioGod said:

Hi,

Everything in your part list is good apart from the gpu. That will give you a lot of trouble and yes the only way to get the system to work would be to disable the gpu via the dsdt and then use the igpu for macOS. What would be a much better thing to do would be to get rid of the GT1030 and get a AMD RX570 instead.

the way you would like to do it will cause you pure headaches brah. 

Hi,

thanks for the info.

Is it possible to explain how it would cause headaches knowing the egpu would be disabled?

The GT1030 was cheap & is only used for the TV when the misses wants to watch Netflix etc and doesn't draw much power.

Last night I read that some RX 550 / 560 also work, they just need to have a baffler of polaris chip & enough stream processors. Could you confirm? If there's no downside on using the 550/560 I might get one of these instead, they're not expensive (100 eur for an Asus Arez RX 550 2 gb or 110 for the 4gb) + got warranty.

Thanks in advance & best wishes.

7 minutes ago, decat said:

Hi,

thanks for the info.

Is it possible to explain how it would cause headaches knowing the egpu would be disabled?

The GT1030 was cheap & is only used for the TV when the misses wants to watch Netflix etc and doesn't draw much power.

Last night I read that some RX 550 / 560 also work, they just need to have a baffler of polaris chip & enough stream processors. Could you confirm? If there's no downside on using the 550/560 I might get one of these instead, they're not expensive (100 eur for an Asus Arez RX 550 2 gb or 110 for the 4gb) + got warranty.

Thanks in advance & best wishes.

your headaches will come when your switching from one OS to the other and will have to do things like shut down and change outputs and the bios every time you jump around. Your also have to get the dsdt patched in my EFI to disable the 1030 but that can be done no problem. It’s just gonna be a hassle for you and it will annoy you into changing it eventually . Yes the RX560 works fine, I’ve not had any confirmation on the RX550 but that should work too.

you can also pick up a Rx 570 580 on eBay for around 100 - 110 euros very easily if you don’t mind it being used?

Edited by AudioGod

Changing the outputs is indeed something I want to avoid. I was able to order new a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8gb for 140£ & should be delivered in the beginning of next week.

Looking forward to fiddle around, thanks again for the clarification.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, decat said:

Changing the outputs is indeed something I want to avoid. I was able to order new a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8gb for 140£ & should be delivered in the beginning of next week.

Looking forward to fiddle around, thanks again for the clarification.

you should of told me you were in the uk, I have plenty hardware that I sell online. :) 

On 12/31/2019 at 9:46 PM, gibbo592 said:

Happy New Year everyone !

Thanks for the help thus far tried several times sidecar wont work Ipad connects via bluetooth when selecting sidecar icon tuns blue briefly and then nothing ! I also notice my benchmarks are nowhere near yours and cant get video hardware acceleration with Radeon VII 

71D4E155-DCEC-4D43-9CFF-A5C2F03B9255.jpeg.9f0a6894c664cf5b6615423aee211935.jpeg9BC2B196-F507-4797-8A3F-8A247FC8CCB8.jpeg.26ba8209f485358fa733cbfdff211434.jpegB475F6AE-6842-4DAE-ACA2-B971AE6B57E2.jpeg.ebd7c952ccdeea994cef823f2754f910.jpeg

Edited by gibbo592
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gibbo592 said:

Happy New Year everyone !

Thanks for the help thus far tried several times sidecar wont work Ipad connects via bluetooth when selecting sidecar icon tuns blue briefly and then nothing ! I also notice my benchmarks are nowhere near yours and cant get video hardware acceleration with Radeon VII 

71D4E155-DCEC-4D43-9CFF-A5C2F03B9255.jpeg.9f0a6894c664cf5b6615423aee211935.jpeg9BC2B196-F507-4797-8A3F-8A247FC8CCB8.jpeg.26ba8209f485358fa733cbfdff211434.jpegB475F6AE-6842-4DAE-ACA2-B971AE6B57E2.jpeg.ebd7c952ccdeea994cef823f2754f910.jpeg

Ok for your gpu hardware acceleration, your have to experiment with different shiki values until you find the correct one for your Radeon VII.

Use this guide to work it out. (Same reason sidecar isn’t working for you)

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.Chart.md

as for your benchmark scores,

use luxmark for the gpu and cinibench for the cpu and show me your results.

i wouldn’t try and compare them to mine as I’m a overclocker and custom system builder by trade so without meaning to be big headed people are always going to struggle to match my benchmark scores. I’m a cheat too and have a golden 9900k that not many 9900ks can match.
show me your results and il know if it’s correct or not buddy. :) 

If you like I can also send you a smbios macpro 1,1 version of the EFI that you use with the igpu disabled? (Or just change the smbios in the clover config and generate a new serial number and details)

The Radeon VII might work better that way for you.

note - sidecar doesn’t work with smbios 1,1

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

Hi,

i am quite new to the topic, but I didnt find any information if I can use this EFI package (and which of those) with my iGPU of the Aorus Master?

I dont have any AMD graphics card.

And if yes, what EFI package should i use? what settings?

Thank you

Edited by xanti1

While waiting for the card some practical questions:

1.  Already got Windows 10 running on the machine and has it's own SSD (500GB 970 EVO NVME). Will it still work after the  install of Catalina or does it needs to be reinstalled? Windows was wiped  a week ago so doing a fresh install if needed won't be much of a hassle.

2. Catalina will be installed on a 500GB 960 EVO NVME. Is it better to keep is at a whole drive or can I split it up?

3. The last drive I'm using is a 4TB WD Black in NTFS. It contains all my music & the misses's movies etc. I don't really need access to all of it when using Catalina but I do need a let's say 250GB accessible from both OS'es. It's just needed for music files and traktor / rekordbox library thus no big files.  Splitting the Catalina SSD in half would be the easiest (AFPS/FAT32) but if not possible / if it could cause conflicts I'll need to find a solution to move all the stuff away from the WD Black and split it in two.

Thanks in advance.