AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Master Patched DSDT EFI for Catalina Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
1,847 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, xanti1 said:

Hi,

i am quite new to the topic, but I didnt find any information if I can use this EFI package (and which of those) with my iGPU of the Aorus Master?

I dont have any AMD graphics card.

And if yes, what EFI package should i use? what settings?

Thank you

you can try but I’m not so sure it will work out of the box and you might need to patch clover using Hackintool to do it properly but give it a go. Use the RX Polaris EFI pal.

5 minutes ago, decat said:
While waiting for the card some practical questions:

1.  Already got Windows 10 running on the machine and has it's own SSD (500GB 970 EVO NVME). Will it still work after the  install of Catalina or does it needs to be reinstalled? Windows was wiped  a week ago so doing a fresh install if needed won't be much of a hassle.

2. Catalina will be installed on a 500GB 960 EVO NVME. Is it better to keep is at a whole drive or can I split it up?

3. The last drive I'm using is a 4TB WD Black in NTFS. It contains all my music & the misses's movies etc. I don't really need access to all of it when using Catalina but I do need a let's say 250GB accessible from both OS'es. It's just needed for music files and traktor / rekordbox library thus no big files.  Splitting the Catalina SSD in half would be the easiest (AFPS/FAT32) but if not possible / if it could cause conflicts I'll need to find a solution to move all the stuff away from the WD Black and split it in two.

Thanks in advance.

No problem with windows, should be fine as long as you did a EFI install of it.

i wouldn’t split up a boot drive just to be safe but saying that there’s no reason you can’t do so it’s just not something I would personally advise, your much better off spending £20 and buying a 1tb hd off EBay or if I was you I would just split the wd black. 

Edited by AudioGod

3 minutes ago, i-am-the-slime said:

@AudioGod Is there any way you could give me a hint about how to modify the EFI folder such that this will work without any external GPU?

use the rx Polaris EFI and either patch clover using Hackintool to do it properly or you can just tick inject intel in the clover config under Graphics and then enable the IGPU in the bios. both options should work for you buddy. :) 

Edited by AudioGod

Just now, i-am-the-slime said:

@AudioGod I still end up at a black screen after a while (with -v enabled) and a reboot after a minute or so when trying to reach the installer.

I don’t know then bud. My Efi is designed to work with a amd gpu but I have seen various people use it without and  the way I said is the ways they have been using it.

did you patch clover with hackintool correctly?

Just now, i-am-the-slime said:

@AudioGod I did the second option (ticking the box). I can try the first now. I'm also wondering if this is the right thread, I have the Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI. 

Nope this is for z390 master but I also have a thread for the z390 pro with all the correct files there.

• Like 1

NEW Clover EFI UPDATE 3rd January 2020

The EFI has now been updated to the my latest version.

Changes made include,

OcQuirks & FwRuntimeServices Latest Revisions

MemoryAllocation.efi now added to the UEFI driver folder to fix failure to boot because of memory allocation failures at start up 

Whatevergreen 1.3.6 latest Beta

Clover Updated too Revision 5102

Plus other minor tweaks to the clover config

EFI Update - 03/01/2020 - Use with Bios revision F10 Only

Aorus Z390 Master Vega Navi EFI.zip - Vega, Navi (5700, 5700XT), Radeon VII DSDT EFI

Aorus Z390 Master RX Polaris EFI.zip - RX5XX Polaris DSDT EFI

If you are having trouble to boot up using smbios 19,1 with iGPU enabled then make the following change to the bios

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 512M

You will need to reset the bios by Removing the power cable and then pulling the battery on the motherboard for a few minutes to totally clear the nvram before loading into Catalina with the new EFI for the first time.

Use the unlocked MSR Bios profile if you can and untick kernelPM in the clover config if you do use it and then make the following changes to the bios, 

If you prefer using SMBios 1,1 then by all means switch to it but all the old problems of using 19,1 are corrected now with this EFI plus DRM is fully working unless you have a  Polaris gpu. Just to add, SMBios 19,1 is the correct one to be using for our chipset and cpu, if you check the spec of a real macpro it is not a using a CoffeeLake CPU or Z3xx chipset. It does work perfectlyl but correct is correct so 19,1 it is. :)

Alternative EFI - N-D-K Fork of OpenCore 31st December 2019 Use with Bios revision F10 Only

Big Thanks to @texem for hes countless hours of hard work and help to bring a fully working version of OpenCore for you all to try.

We have chosen to use N-D-K's Fork of OpenCore as it works happily alongside windows and has a lot of features and changes that I wish were in the original version of OpenCore,

Support on this thread for these EFIs won't be great but @texem and myself will help out where we can. 

PLEASE NOTE - All bios settings and guide notes are the same for these EFI's apart from I've set it to smbios 1,1 so your also need to set your IGPU to disabled in the bios but your welcome to try and use smbios 19,1 with IGPU enabled instead and if it works for you then please do report back and let me know.

OpenCore Fork Z390 MASTER Navi Vega.zip - Vega 56/64 Navi (5700/5700XT) & Radeon VII DSDT

OpenCore Fork Z390 MASTER Polaris.zip - RX Polaris Series DSDT

OpenCore Configurator.zip

Edited by AudioGod

@Matgen84 hey buddy, if you using the new EFI under 19,1 then go into the bios and raise the gpu memory from 64mb to 512mb and do a before and after using somthing like dare I say it  geekbench gpu test and tell me if you get a nice bump up in performance?

its safe to do it now thanks to the MemoryAllocation.efi :)

You shouldn’t get any more failures to allocate memory at boot up whatever you do but if you do then please e sure to let me know?

Edited by AudioGod

7 hours ago, AudioGod said:

@Matgen84 hey buddy, if you using the new EFI under 19,1 then go into the bios and raise the gpu memory from 64mb to 512mb and do a before and after using somthing like dare I say it  geekbench gpu test and tell me if you get a nice bump up in performance?

its safe to do it now thanks to the MemoryAllocation.efi :)

You shouldn’t get any more failures to allocate memory at boot up whatever you do but if you do then please e sure to let me know?

@AudioGod Hey Bro, I don't understand well this new setting: 

First page of this topic:

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 64M

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 256M

Your post Friday:

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 512M (instead of 256M). I don't understand that: because BIOS F10 possibilities: 128M, 256M, MAX

Now from your today post: Right or not? Maybe I misunderstood.

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 512M

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 512M

Let me know the exact settings. And what is the new MemoryAllocation.efi driver?

Sorry I'm a french frog :hysterical:

EDIT1: my rig boot fine with new OcQuirks.efi (Rev 11 default) + FwRuntimeServices and your EFI folder for Clover. Thanks :yes:

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 512M

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> MAX

and

• settings -> IO Ports -> Aperture Size -> 256M (your settings in the first page of this topic)
Edited by Matgen84

3 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

@AudioGod Hey Bro, I don't understand well this new setting: 

First page of this topic:

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 64M

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 256M

Your post Friday:

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 512M (instead of 256M). I don't understand that: because BIOS F10 possibilities: 128M, 256M, MAX

Now from your today post: Right or not? Maybe I misunderstood.

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 512M

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 512M

Let me know the exact settings. And what is the new MemoryAllocation.efi driver?

Sorry I'm a french frog :hysterical:

EDIT1: my rig boot fine with new OcQuirks.efi (Rev 11 default) + FwRuntimeServices and your EFI folder for Clover. Thanks :yes:

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> MAX

and

• settings -> IO Ports -> Aperture Size -> 256M (your settings in the first page of this topic)

• Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 256M  or Max

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

hi AudioGod,

So i run geekbench 5 and got different result between win10 and catalina

Win10x64 :

win_cpu.thumb.png.633580efc16cc44f2421448fc1d8bb43.pngwin_compute.thumb.png.d7dbaf0e50ad90f307ee1b1c2f605b3a.png

catalina :

mac_cpu.thumb.png.7a2eca0bc254987e0716f1e43a536cc0.png

mac_compute.thumb.png.28747e5e7c031eb0903fe53dfabd3567.png

any idea what caused the difference?

i'm running stock with default stock turbo 4.7GHz. everything set to auto in CPU BIOS settings. 

i also attach the html files in case you need to see the full spec to make comparison

thx in advance for the insight

iMac (27-inch Retina Early 2019) - Geekbench Browser.webarchive

iMac (27-inch Retina Early 2019) GPU - Geekbench Browser.webarchive

2020-01-03-2 Z390 AORUS MASTER GPU - Geekbench Browser.mhtml

2020-01-03-2-Z390 AORUS MASTER - Geekbench Browser.html

@l35l33 that’s totally normal, Windows will give a different result and also your results are close enough between os and os

one more thing geekbench is bugged out on macOS and isn’t a great way of benching a system as you never get the same score twice. The reason I was asking people to try it was to build up a graph for somthing I was looking into while using different memory amounts for the igpu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AudioGod said:

@l35l33 that’s totally normal, Windows will give a different result and also your results are close enough between os and os

one more thing geekbench is bugged out on macOS and isn’t a great way of benching a system as you never get the same score twice. The reason I was asking people

to try it was to build up a graph for somthing I was looking into while using different memory amounts for the igpu.

i see...

yes, i can confirm that geekbench give different result each time, but not just in macos, i got different result also in win10.

but i tried cinebench r20 in win10 also give different result each run (around 4700-4800ish), however when in macos the result always stay the same. i got 4975 pts in macos on multiple run.

thats why i thought that every run is suppossed to be different.

well, glad it turns out ok then

thx for the insight

Just now, l35l33 said:

i see...

yes, i can confirm that geekbench give different result each time, but not just in macos, i got different result also in win10.

but i tried cinebench r20 in win10 also give different result each run (around 4700-4800ish), however when in macos the result always stay the same. i got 4975 pts in macos on multiple run.

thats why i thought that every run is suppossed to be different.

well, glad it turns out ok then

thx for the insight

use luxmark to benchmark the gpu in macos and your get a nice even result every time.

cinibench is very easy to explain as it’s a cpu process so anything happening in the background will affect the score and since macOS is locked down a lot more then windows is the amount of process running in the background is always greater in windows. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Heads up my Friends,

Im off to CES2020 later for the length of the event so I might not be around to help or update anything for this week but I will still be poking my nose in when I’m bored or at the hotel.

Have fun while I’m away People :thumbsup_anim:

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2019 at 2:09 AM, AudioGod said:

Alternative EFI - N-D-K Fork of OpenCore (31/12/2019)

PLEASE NOTE - All bios settings and guide notes are the same for these EFI's apart from I've set it to smbios 1,1 so your also need to set your IGPU to disabled in the bios but your welcome to try and use smbios 19,1 with IGPU enabled instead and if it works for you then please do report back and let me know.

OpenCore Fork Z390 MASTER Navi Vega.zip - Vega 56/64 Navi (5700 XT) & Radeon VII DSDT

OpenCore Fork Z390 MASTER Polaris.zip - RX Polaris Series DSDT

as we are planning to offer 19,1 enabled OC EFI's ,  wondering if someone here is able to confirm if it works. 

Keep in mind if you are still on 1,1 you must clear CMOS/NVRAM as @AudioGod repeatedly wrote !!

And only use valid 19,1 credentials (Platforminfo->Generic)  because everything is autogenerated from this numbers. Take them from Clover f.i.

Only Navi/Vega version currently :

If you have trouble with USB, this might be fixed if you generate a new USBPorts.kext with Hackintool but using 19,1 profile.

OpenCore-Fork-19,1-Aorus-Z390-Master-Navi-Vega.zip

Edited by texem
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, texem said:

as we are planning to offer 19,1 enabled OC EFI's ,  wondering if someone here is able to confirm if it works. 

Keep in mind if you are still on 1,1 you must clear CMOS/NVRAM as @AudioGod repeatedly wrote !!

And only use valid 19,1 credentials (Platforminfo->Generic)  because everything is autogenerated from this numbers. Take them from Clover f.i.

Only Navi/Vega version currently :

OpenCore-Fork-19,1-Aorus-Z390-Master-Navi-Vega.zip

If you have trouble with USB, this might be fixed if you generate a new USBPorts.kext with Hackintool but using 19,1 profile.

Thanks @texem Wait and see OpenCore-Fork for RX EFI Folder.

What are the difference between 12/31 version (success of course on my board) and the new version? Please.

I don't understand well: I use 19,1 SMBIOS since several month. If I use PlatformInfo->Generic for this model, Clover SMBIOS infos aren't necessary, Right?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Thanks @texem Wait and see OpenCore-Fork for RX EFI Folder.

What are the difference between 12/31 version (success of course on my board) and the new version? Please.

I don't understand well: I use 19,1 SMBIOS since several month. If I use PlatformInfo->Generic for this model, Clover SMBIOS infos aren't necessary, Right?

thanks for reply.

Since last weekend, @AudioGod and me are testing 19,1 for our own rigs cause we have issues with current RX5700 (Navi) . 

Glad to hear you are always on 19,1.

Yes you are right, SMBIOS part is obsolete until you do not autogenerate them. The three credentials are all what you need to take over to this EFI.

If you are on RX5xx, just take the DSDT.aml  from the ACPI folder of your current EFI as a replacement. The rest is identical.

Edited by texem
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, texem said:

thanks for reply.

Since last weekend, @AudioGod and me are testing 19,1 for our own rigs cause we have issues with current RX5700 (Navi) . 

Glad to hear you are always on 19,1.

Yes you are right, SMBIOS part is obsolete until you do not autogenerate them. The three credentials are all what you need to take over to this EFI.

If you are on RX5xx, just take the DSDT.aml  from the ACPI folder of your current EFI as a replacement. The rest is identical.

Thanks boot fine :)

There is something wrong with USBPorts.kext: one at least Rear Red USB3.1 don't work (I've USB wifi dongle connected) --> no wifi

OCS: No schema for two quirks:

• IgnoreForWindows seems to be deprecated (maybe remove it and replace)

<key>EnableForAll</key>
<false/>
  • ThirdPartyTrim is now ThirdPartyDrives

Could you add "Recovery" partition in menu picker, please.

Edited by Matgen84