Help installing Mojave on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

852 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, obus said:

After updating to 10.15.4 I have this problem when trying to change boot disk with bless tool in System Preferences:imageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c71885804753_Screenshot2020-03-29at20_57_23.thumb.png.6383137fb96f0b083c203aa50d4f4245.pngAny ideas?

I had this problem when I updated to 10.15.4.

What I did was: 

1. In BIOS, change boot disk to MacOS drive. I have two NVME drives, one loaded with MacOS, one with Windows. After updating to 10.15.4, the boot preference was reset to Windows Boot Manager.

2. Boot into Windows (using boot loader menu), change boot disk to MacOS.

3. Boot back to MacOS, I can freely choose Windows boot disk

Not sure if this will help. If not, maybe try clear nvram?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, addoil said:

I had this problem when I updated to 10.15.4.

What I did was: 

1. In BIOS, change boot disk to MacOS drive. I have two NVME drives, one loaded with MacOS, one with Windows. After updating to 10.15.4, the boot preference was reset to Windows Boot Manager.

2. Boot into Windows (using boot loader menu), change boot disk to MacOS.

3. Boot back to MacOS, I can freely choose Windows boot disk

Not sure if this will help. If not, maybe try clear nvram?

Tested this but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I have the same config as you with Windows 10 on a separate disk with it's own EFI.

Are you booting Windows in the same way or are you booting with only one EFI on your main macOS disk? If so could you please share your config.plist/EFI.

Edited by obus

On 12/7/2019 at 4:17 AM, addoil said:

If you plug your iPhone into the ASM3142 USB ports, do you still see "Extra Operating Current (mA): 1600" as in your picture?

1526617659_Screenshot2019-12-03at15_16_05.png.b28874af0de97a3f228fac5736fa6021.png

Hi @addoil.

Did you fix this problem?

On 3/30/2020 at 3:16 AM, obus said:

Tested this but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I have the same config as you with Windows 10 on a separate disk with it's own EFI.

Are you booting Windows in the same way or are you booting with only one EFI on your main macOS disk? If so could you please share your config.plist/EFI.

I think I spoke too soon. I still have the same problem as you. However, in my case, when change setting in MacOS fails, the boot loader will resort back to default setting, which happens to be Windows 10 for me. And in Windows 10, Startup Disk tool works correctly. So this issue does not bother me.

I did some diagnosis. If you run

sudo systemsetup

then

liststartupdisks

you should see startup entries available. For my case, they are

/Volumes/BOOTCAMP/WINDOWS
/System/Library/CoreServices

But the MacOS entry seems not correct. Because when I set the entry in Windows 10 correctly, and successfully boot into MacOS, the MacOS entry is blank. This suggests to me that, somehow MacOS cannot detect correct MacOS boot entry. 

On 4/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, obus said:

Hi @addoil.

Did you fix this problem?

I check again. Now the only port I cannot charge iPad is the USB type A port above USB type C. All other ports including the internal ones can charge. This seems weird because that type A port and type C port are on the same switch.

18 hours ago, addoil said:

I think I spoke too soon. I still have the same problem as you. However, in my case, when change setting in MacOS fails, the boot loader will resort back to default setting, which happens to be Windows 10 for me. And in Windows 10, Startup Disk tool works correctly. So this issue does not bother me.

I presume you have done this otherwise it will NOT work:

Boot Camp control panel uses GPT partition table to obtain each boot option name. After installing Windows separately you will have to relabel the partition manually. This can be done with many tools including open-source gdisk utility. Reference example:

PS C:\gdisk> .\gdisk64.exe \\.\physicaldrive0 GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.4

Command (? for help): p
Disk \\.\physicaldrive0: 419430400 sectors, 200.0 GiB
Sector size (logical): 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): DEC57EB1-B3B5-49B2-95F5-3B8C4D3E4E12

Partition table holds up to 128 entries
Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33 First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 419430366 Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 4029 sectors (2.0 MiB)

Number Start (sector)

1  2048

2  1024000

3  1226752

4  1259520

Command (? for help): c Partition number (1-4): 4 Enter name: BOOTCAMP

End (sector) Size 1023999 499.0 MiB 1226751 99.0 MiB 1259519 16.0 MiB

419428351 199.4 GiB

Code Name
2700 Basic data partition EF00 EFI system partition 0C01 Microsoft reserved ... 0700 Basic data partition

Command (? for help): w
Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING PARTITIONS!!

Do you want to proceed? (Y/N): Y
OK; writing new GUID partition table (GPT) to \\.\physicaldrive0.
Disk synchronization succeeded! The computer should now use the new partition table. The operation has completed successfully.

Configuration.pdf

Edited by obus

I've solved my "bless" problems by reworking my config.plist. Everything is working as it should now. You could test my config.plist with your personal changes and see if it will work for you (just put in your own PlatformInfo).

67940562_Screenshot2020-04-05at21_37_33.thumb.png.7247bbfa7d64412fb73b5deaf4329b6a.png

Charging is working for me both during sleep and power off on all my USB 3.0 ports.

147165982_Screenshot2020-04-05at21_25_44.thumb.png.fc2fe1e0782c82d91bdc6e5d751d87d3.png

Charging from my USB type C port is working when my rig is powered on but not during sleep and power off:

1861750442_Screenshot2020-04-05at21_27_02.thumb.png.96644cf26ffda775c69f203bb7c44018.png

config.plist

Edited by obus

On 3/29/2020 at 12:55 PM, yapan4 said:

I'm not sure because with the bot argument keepsyms=1 there is little difference. Hope this panic log contains the information you need.

Thank you.

ASUS_C422_KP.rtf

There is a huge difference - the panic now says the symbol name and offset relative to that symbol that the crash occurred.  Its the difference between being blind in a pitch black room looking for a black cat that isn't there vs looking for a cat that has a GPS tracker collar and the cat is already sitting in your lap. 

See? :) IzfM7FSK6134.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can boot MacOS with the latest BIOS if you update to the latest Clover (fixed renames that are broken with the newer BIOSes), add CascadeLakeFix SSDT (addresses new AWAC device that panics), and re-patch for the new MSR offset.

That said, I am having trouble entering the BIOS all of a sudden (A9 Q-code, black screen), so I'm rolling back again.

patches.txt--new BIOS'es.zip

SSDT-X299-CascadeLakeFix.aml

Edit: I noticed that disabling the serial port in the BIOS has no effect. I used the following patch to stop MacOS attaching to it (thanks corpnewt)

<dict>
                			<key>Comment</key>
               		 		<string>Disable UART/Serial Port</string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
                			<key>Find</key>
                			<data>QdAFAQ==</data>
                			<key>Replace</key>
               				 <data>AQIDBA==</data>
            			</dict>

Edited by maleorderbride
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:19 PM, maleorderbride said:

You can boot MacOS with the latest BIOS if you update to the latest Clover (fixed renames that are broken with the newer BIOSes), add CascadeLakeFix SSDT (addresses new AWAC device that panics), and re-patch for the new MSR offset.

That said, I am having trouble entering the BIOS all of a sudden (A9 Q-code, black screen), so I'm rolling back again.

patches.txt--new BIOS'es.zip

SSDT-X299-CascadeLakeFix.aml

Edit: I noticed that disabling the serial port in the BIOS has no effect. I used the following patch to stop MacOS attaching to it (thanks corpnewt)

<dict>
                			<key>Comment</key>
               		 		<string>Disable UART/Serial Port</string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
                			<key>Find</key>
                			<data>QdAFAQ==</data>
                			<key>Replace</key>
               				 <data>AQIDBA==</data>
            			</dict>

Have you tested those patches and the CacadeLakeFix.aml with OpenCore 0.5.8 ?

I would like to share the results of experiments with CPU microcode updates.
The current BIOS v3102 has a version of 0x02000060 CPU microcodes. UBU 1.77 Utility allows you to upgrade to version 0x02006901. Before 0х02006901 there were versions 0х02000064, 0х02000065, 0х02000068 but the version 0х02006901 is the newest at the moment.
CPU microcode update went without problems. And BIOS update as well (via the flashback). And I was hoping to see some changes, especially with the non-functional Configure Lock. However, no changes have taken place, is ConfigureLock enabled/disabled, MSR 0xE2 still locked. Therefore, you should probably not expect a positive from future versions of the BIOS with newer versions of CPU microcodes.
And probably problem is in some other place...

Many users reported same situation with MSR 0xE2 when lock/unlock switcher presented in new Cascade Lake BIOS but has no effeckt.

@maleorderbride, what is situation on you Asrock x299 MoBo with MSR 0xE2? 

Also: ASUS WS C422 Pro/SE still boot OK on untouched Cascade Lake BIOS (v3003, v3102) + Clover + kernel patches for locked MSR 0xE2 and 0x1AA + SSDT.aml for AWAC device. Also Serial Port always enabled in my BIOS and no problems, still supported in Catalina and probably still can do work

1983274946_ScreenShot2020-05-19at22_16_51.png.3b9a3353c57a7b1fba26b7fe0e65393a.png

Because you has no success with patched BIOS, may be best way is find reason non bootablity  on untouched Cascade Lake BIOS?

@obus, KP during wakeup still persist(on unlocked and microcode updated BIOS 3102).

Thank you.

And sorry my google translated English.

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 3:43 AM, Balamut said:

Hey guys, did anyone managed to boot on W-32xx CPUS? I'm stuck at the PCI Conf begin {censored}?

Hi, @Balamut

On C422 helped SSDT for RTC-AWAC switch in similar situation

CLOVER.zip

What motherboard brand/model you are using?

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 12:14 AM, yapan4 said:

Hi, @Balamut

On C422 helped SSDT for RTC-AWAC switch in similar situation

CLOVER.zip

What motherboard brand/model you are using?

Thanks man, I'll be back to the office in a bit and will test it out

Asus WS C621-64L SAGE/10G 1001 BIOS

Edited by Balamut
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020/3/7 at AM2点18分, obus said:

我不是坚持那个,读完后我知道 @ vit9696:s在GitHub上评论说Mac中没有可控制的AWAC设备。但是因为SSDT-AWAC和SSDT-RTC都在我的钻机上工作,所以我感到困惑。

而已!

Comparison reveals that the PC's AWAC and the iMac Pro's ARTC are the same device but the iMac Pro loads AppleSMCRTC.   I'm sorry my English isn't very good. I hope that didn't affect your understanding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Flashed my Gigabyte Titan-Ridge TB3 card with new firmware today. The card is now working more or less like the native Apple thunderbolt 3.

Credit goes to @DSM2 and his team for the hard work to get this working. (https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/thread/46713-natives-thunderbolt3-an-jedem-rechner/?pageNo=1

Kudos to @maleorderbride for the nice and simple SSDT-HOTPLUG-TB3.aml he provided from this thread: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/323540-thunderbolt-drivers/

and last but not least credits to @ameyrupji for his great guide how to flash the firmware: https://github.com/ameyrupji/thunderbolt-macpro-5-1/blob/master/GC-TitanRidge.md?fbclid=IwAR05Z3oG3fZc2ArzPiYgQcG0P7PEXlmbCktf0ulODeFaTSJa2BF0iWMaCDM

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 20.43.57.png

SSDT-HOTPLUG-TB3.aml

Edited by obus
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/3/2020 at 2:45 AM, obus said:

Flashed my Gigabyte Titan-Ridge TB3 card with new firmware today. The card is now working more or less like the native Apple thunderbolt 3.

Credit goes to @DSM2 and his team for the hard work to get this working. (https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/thread/46713-natives-thunderbolt3-an-jedem-rechner/?pageNo=1

Kudos to @maleorderbride for the nice and simple SSDT-HOTPLUG-TB3.aml he provided from this thread: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/323540-thunderbolt-drivers/

and last but not least credits to @ameyrupji for his great guide how to flash the firmware: https://github.com/ameyrupji/thunderbolt-macpro-5-1/blob/master/GC-TitanRidge.md?fbclid=IwAR05Z3oG3fZc2ArzPiYgQcG0P7PEXlmbCktf0ulODeFaTSJa2BF0iWMaCDM

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 20.43.57.png

SSDT-HOTPLUG-TB3.aml

I have used Alpine Ridge TB3 card and according to the old iMac2017 TB3 information to create a SSDT hope that someone can use on ;The only supports Alpine Ridge TB3 card。

SSDT-Thunder-C422-GC-APLNE-Slot-3.aml

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Experimental Open Core EFI folder for Big Sur beta 3. Stable run my hack from signature. (I'm not sure about install from USB, because I install beta 3 via Software Update)

EFI OC.zip(thanks to @Djlild7hina for help with SSDT files and for sample EFI folder)

And Experimental temporary solution for Clover

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?do=findComment&amp;comment=2732413

EFI Clover.zip

Add to NVRAM for Clover-BigSur boot.rtf

Note: Clover only for Big Sur beta 3, don't work on beta 4!!!

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1