Help installing Mojave on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

852 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2020 at 4:33 PM, metacollin said:

I believe my issue is different unfortunately.  @eritius actually uploaded his open core config a while ago in this thread, and I have the exact same motherboard as him (X11DAi-N) and using that config, I still can’t make it past the ACPI tables loading (which do load successfully).  Every boot attempt regardless of any changes or BIOS options or cleaned NVRAM/cleared CMOS... it always ends the same way.

Heya! I know you already got this working without any help from me. Sorry I went AWOL. I don't have notifications set up apparently and wasn't checking the forum until recently. I'm glad you got it all sorted.

I definitely think a big part of it is that I'm on an ancient BIOS. I begged Supermicro support to let me have the last bios that included Thunderbolt support from back in 2017 and have been clinging to it for dear life. That definitely explains a lot of the differences you're seeing, I bet.

Really great work on finding the 0x1AA MSR in the BIOS and your work on patching that. I'm still not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to any of the BIOS or ACPI stuff. I fumbled my way through patching out the 0xE2 MSR but that was about all I could muster. So my solution was to patch out the 0x1AA MSR writes in the kernel with OpenCore.

I'm going to try your latest BIOS to see how it works and forgoing Thunderbolt. I've had some weird performance issues that I'm hoping to resolve finally. If you get a chance, I'd love to compare my new OpenCore configuration with yours!

Edited by eritius

2 hours ago, eritius said:

Heya! I know you already got this working without any help from me. Sorry I went AWOL. I don't have notifications set up apparently and wasn't checking the forum until recently. I'm glad you got it all sorted.

I definitely think a big part of it is that I'm on an ancient BIOS. I begged Supermicro support to let me have the last bios that included Thunderbolt support from back in 2017 and have been clinging to it for dear life. That definitely explains a lot of the differences you're seeing, I bet.

Really great work on finding the 0x1AA MSR in the BIOS and your work on patching that. I'm still not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to any of the BIOS or ACPI stuff. I fumbled my way through patching out the 0xE2 MSR but that was about all I could muster. So my solution was to patch out the 0x1AA MSR writes in the kernel with OpenCore.

I'm going to try your latest BIOS to see how it works and forgoing Thunderbolt. I've had some weird performance issues that I'm hoping to resolve finally. If you get a chance, I'd love to compare my new OpenCore configuration with yours! 

@metacollin Having trouble getting your 3.2 firmware booting, unfortunately. Probably a misconfiguration on my end but not sure the cause. Could be either OpenCore or BIOS settings at this point. Stuck at good ol'

[EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]

Alright, back up and running with the latest firmware, though still working to get performance up to where I think it should be! GeekBench 5 multicore score is ~10000 and single core is ~800, which seems too low for this setup. This was the case before too, so there's clearly something wonky going on.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 3:09 AM, eritius said:

Alright, back up and running with the latest firmware, though still working to get performance up to where I think it should be! GeekBench 5 multicore score is ~10000 and single core is ~800, which seems too low for this setup. This was the case before too, so there's clearly something wonky going on.

is sleep working on your system ?

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, obus said:

New bios 3304 working OOB on my rig:thumbsup_anim:

Hmm, something strange on the Asus download page - two versions of BIOS at the same time, v.3305 and v.3304???

I chose version 3305...

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 19.37.10.png

Edited by yapan4

Hi all,

I'm currently running Catalina 10.15.7 on an Asus WS C422 Pro/SE (Bios 3304) + Xeon W-2150B with OpenCore 0.64 boot loader.

Has anyone updated to BigSur with OpenCore?? How was it?

Thanks....

Edited by amjsez

3 hours ago, amjsez said:

Hi all,

I'm currently running Catalina 10.15.7 on an Asus WS C422 Pro/SE (Bios 3304) + Xeon W-2150B with OpenCore 0.64 boot loader.

Has anyone updated to BigSur with OpenCore?? How was it?

Thanks....

Works like a charm on my rig. Downloaded and installed without any problems.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, yapan4 said:

Hmm, something strange on the Asus download page - two versions of BIOS at the same time, v.3305 and v.3304???

I chose version 3305...

Hide contents

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 19.37.10.png

Funny!! Did 3305 work? Can you see any difference?

2 hours ago, obus said:

I did not test v.3304.

v.3305 work great.

I don't know what the difference is except the size.:)

Apparently we need to wait for some clarifications from ASUS.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 8:02 PM, obus said:

Works like a charm on my rig. Downloaded and installed without any problems.

Thanks, thats good to hear..... Will try updating mine in the coming days...

On 11/20/2020 at 5:08 PM, obus said:

Quote myself.

Tested 3305 too and couldn't discover any difference. 

Both versions gives me huge problems with my ASM2142 USB 3.1 Controllers front and rear. Controller shows up but no ports and when they work they only show up with 5 Gbps. 

Randomly I have the same problems with other tested bios versions so for the moment I use 1202 wich seems to be the most stable together with my two flashed Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge card.  

This is a complete new problem starting with beta 6 of Big Sur. With Catalina everything worked and this problem with undiscovered ports never ever appears and the speed was always showing 10 Gbps.

Anybody experiencing the same problem?

Spoiler

921158481_Screenshot2020-11-24at23_34_22.thumb.png.691343a99afccb9ac8524124820d0100.png

• Like 1

Version 3305 has one big positive in my case - there is no double start when you turn Power ON. On all previous BIOSes, my Hack turned on for 5-10 seconds, then turned off and on again. In the people such behavior at the first Power ON  is known as Double POST.

I also noticed other users' complaints about the Asmedia USB 3.1 controller on the Macos 11. I haven't researched yet...

@obus

Clover r5127 and Big Sur 11.1b1, any patches or kexts for USB: 

-front and rear USB type A works. I do not have currently any type C and 10Gb/s device for test

-Apple System Information correctly show both Asmedia ASM2142 controllers

-speed 5Gb/s

-Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 21.14.23.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 21.18.55.png

Edited by yapan4

13 hours ago, yapan4 said:

@obus

Clover r5127 and Big Sur 11.1b1, any patches or kexts for USB: 

-front and rear USB type A works. I do not have currently any type C and 10Gb/s device for test

-Apple System Information correctly show both Asmedia ASM2142 controllers

-speed 5Gb/s

-Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

For my four Thunderbolt 3 ports XHC2 x2 and XHC3 x2 (two ports on each Titan Ridge card) USB 3.1 Gen 2 type C speed is reported correctly 10 Gbps. On my ASM2142 speed wrongly (both from front and rear ports) is reported to only 5 Gbps.

On Catalina 10.15.6 the speed both for Thunderbolt 3 and ASM2142 ports was reported correctly to 10 Gbps. So obviously something changed with Big Sur from beta 6.

This is not the worst problem for me with Big Sur. The worst problem is that the ports on the ASM2142 controller just randomly is discovered by the system. Sometimes I need three or four boots at a row to get all my controllers to showing up and connecting to my devices. This was working without any problems on Catalina 10.15.6.

Power is no problem. I have 900 mA on all my USB 3.1 Gen 2 type C ports. I have that on sleep and on shutdown if the device is connected before shut down. Sleep is working flawlessly if "wake for network access" is unchecked in Energy Saver.

Hackintool:

Spoiler

1706168882_Screenshot2020-11-26at22_15_15.thumb.png.15f8b12fdc49625436de9f396d707b96.png

Power ASM2141:

Spoiler

405049893_Screenshot2020-11-26at22_27_52.thumb.png.ce8b84fb51fe2e523de2da21223f3643.png

Power THB Titan Ridge:

Spoiler

531228367_Screenshot2020-11-26at22_28_34.thumb.png.b21152e90229b9d5dbe16c14ed72e185.png

This is my XHCI USB port kext for those how are interested.

C422-XHCI.kext.zip

Edited by obus

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

New (or not???) BIOS v.3301

I guess old, since the WS-C422-PRO-SE-ASUS-3301.CAP date is 04.September 2020.

Date of 3305 firmware, which is gone now from the download page, is 17.November 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khe91 said:

I guess old, since the WS-C422-PRO-SE-ASUS-3301.CAP date is 04.September 2020.

Date of 3305 firmware, which is gone now from the download page, is 17.November 2020.

I agree. So the confusion with BIOSes continues.

P.S.  I tried version 3301, everything is fine and did not notice the difference. An updated version of IPMI firmware was also released at the same time. I also updated it, also all is well.

Tested a lot of different versions of bios during the last week and the only one working hundred percent with my two TB3 Titan Ridge card is the first unlocked bios 1202. Hasn't detected any difference in performance between 1202 and any later unlocked bios.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, obus said:

Tested a lot of different versions of bios during the last week and the only one working hundred percent with my two TB3 Titan Ridge card is the first unlocked bios 1202. Hasn't detected any difference in performance between 1202 and any later unlocked bios.

In which PCIe slots did you install your Titan Ridge cards ?

Could you please share your actual TB.aml, or the complete OC EFI folder ?

Thanks