[HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave

330 posts in this topic

I just took your config plist, deleted the dSym files from the Kexts folder. Rebooted into BIOS. Enabled iGPU and set it to boot from it. Plugged my monitor to the mobo, so I could see. Preview and Quicklook worked with the JPG files. 

Then I just rebooted back into BIOS and set it to boot from PCI and plugged the monitor back into the 660, not changing anything else. Preview and Quicklook still works after that :w00t:

So it must be your config file. What did YOU change? :rofl:

Edited by iRipper
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, iRipper said:

I just took your config plist, deleted the dSym files from the Kexts folder. Rebooted into BIOS. Enabled iGPU and set it to boot from it. Plugged my monitor to the mobo, so I could see. Preview and Quicklook worked with the JPG files. 

Then I just rebooted back into BIOS and set it to boot from PCI and plugged the monitor back into the 660, not changing anything else. Preview and Quicklook still works after that :w00t:

So it must be your config file. What did YOU change? :rofl:

HAHAHAHAHA! You'll never know. :)))))))

Joking, of course. :))

Well, I didn't do much. I just like things clean. Sometimes VERY clean. :))) So I just cleaned up your config a little. I told you there were a few things I didn't quite think were necessary for your/my case. But I left that at the end, in case the BIOS settings didn't work for your case (which they didn't, I mean, not JUST that). By the way, that's almost identical to my config. :D So...I took that as a reference, and just made the same changes to your config.

I guess there's no need to boot from Clover Options anymore, if it works by default, right? I mean, you can still copy your serials from the old config back into the SMBIOS of the new one, if you want. But other than that, you shouldn't need to change anything. Ooor, if you're satisfied with that, just remove the old config, rename this one from config_test.plist to just config.plist, so that Clover can take THIS one as default. Aaand, that's about it.

Now back to your BIOS. :))

So, under Peripherals, you set...what? IGFX or PCIe?
Also, if you have the same options as I showed in my previous post, what did you set under Chipset? Is it the same as in my screenshots or...different?

I'm asking all these questions, because
1. I don't have a Gigabyte board at home so it's kinda hard to debug issues like this
2. If we find a way to fix thsi for Gigabyte boards, as well, I'd like to add it to the main post (eventually with some screenshots) in order for people with similar boards to know what to do.

Now, of course, the magic sauce in your case seems to have been the config itself. But even so, I'm pretty sure the BIOS settings are just as important.

Edited by arsradu
  • Haha 1

Hehe. I have already changed my config plist with yours and backed it up in 3 places :jester:

I boot from from PCI now and everything works as it should. vt-d disabled. iGFX enabled with 32 MB allocated. That's all. 

Screenshot 2018-07-19 at 18.26.38.png

• Like 1

Hehe. I have already changed my config plist with yours and backed it up in 3 places :jester:

I boot from from PCI now and everything works as it should. vt-d disabled. iGFX enabled with 32 MB allocated. That's all. 

494258311_Screenshot2018-07-19at18_26_38.thumb.png.c2d29c016925907af95af631464431c4.png

I see, so pretty much like in my pictures.

Peripherals -> Initial Display Output -> iGFX

Chipset -> Internal Graphics -> Enabled

DVMT Pre-Allocation -> default 64M (you chose 32M).

You might wanna leave it 64M though. :)) I'm pretty sure that won't harm anything. But in case it does, you can always switch it back, since you know exactly what you've changed. So that should be an easy fix.

DVMT Total Gfx Mem -> 256M

Thank you!  Today was a good day for science.

Edited by arsradu
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The best choice is to switch the Primary GPU to your RX 580 rather than the iGPU.

Yup, I went back to that setup since the other approaches are not yet working for this system. Thank you for your help.

I dusted a few cobwebs off of my older Haswell system, updated it to the latest Public Beta and was able to readily get viewing jpgs, etc. to work in QuickLook and Preview. (Actually there are a lot of things working on the Haswell system that do not work on the Coffee Lake system, but well ...)

The success, here is what worked:

Gigabyte Z97N - Gaming 5 BIOS version F5.  [Haswell System]

Intel i5-4690S CPU @ 3.20GHz

Gigabyte RX460 (4GB)

BIOS: boot using pcie card, NOT the igpu. <- this is important!

Internal graphics: enabled, memory 64M, DVMT Total memory: Max

macOS 10.14 Beta (18A336e) Mojave

Clover v4586

Clover config.plist

Devices -> FakeID -> IntelGFX =  0x0

Graphics -> Inject -> Intel = true

The results are pretty decent, this older machine is no a speedster but it does okay for what it is and runs a lot of apps that as I mentioned are not running on my Coffee Lake system.

The failure: various options of enabling and disabling the IGPU

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI BIOS F7.  [Coffee Lake System]

Intel i5-8400

Gigabyte RX580 (8GB)

Note: macOS does not yet 'know' the cpu. This may be related to part of the problem; Apple, at this point, has limited support out there for Coffee Lake systems.1621694606_ScreenShot2018-07-18at3_57_24PM.jpg.7d08d6d2bf37dd0d432f4e66db001104.jpg

4 hours ago, jerryy2 said:

I dusted a few cobwebs off of my older Haswell system, updated it to the latest Public Beta and was able to readily get viewing jpgs, etc. to work in QuickLook and Preview. (Actually there are a lot of things working on the Haswell system that do not work on the Coffee Lake system, but well ...)

The success, here is what worked:

Gigabyte Z97N - Gaming 5 BIOS version F5.  [Haswell System]

Intel i5-4690S CPU @ 3.20GHz

Gigabyte RX460 (4GB)

BIOS: boot using pcie card, NOT the igpu. <- this is important!

Internal graphics: enabled, memory 64M, DVMT Total memory: Max

macOS 10.14 Beta (18A336e) Mojave

Clover v4586

Clover config.plist

Devices -> FakeID -> IntelGFX =  0x0

Graphics -> Inject -> Intel = true

The results are pretty decent, this older machine is no a speedster but it does okay for what it is and runs a lot of apps that as I mentioned are not running on my Coffee Lake system.

The failure: various options of enabling and disabling the IGPU

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI BIOS F7.  [Coffee Lake System]

Intel i5-8400

Gigabyte RX580 (8GB)

Note: macOS does not yet 'know' the cpu. This may be related to part of the problem; Apple, at this point, has limited support out there for Coffee Lake systems.

I find it funny that, for AMD cards, the PCIe card needs to be set primary. For Nvidia cards, the IGFX needs to be set as primary. :)) Kinda the other way around.

Also, I'm a bit confused regarding your post. :)) So...it worked with the Haswell build, but still doesn't work on the CoffeLake build? Cause, they should work the exact same way. Minus the differences in CPU, which might require some patches, and the iGPU, which would also require some patches.

Did you try a cleaner config? Seems to make quite a lot of difference if you read the previous posts. I can take a look if you want. But the differences between your system and mine are pretty substantial, so...what I can advise you is to start small. Start with the things you KNOW you need. ONLY those. Only minimum necessary to boot. And build from there.

There will be patches needed for the iGPU, for sure. But...a cleaner config might just do the trick in your case, since now the BIOS should be all set up.

Well I came to that conclusion about the AMD GPU being set as the primary by examining an 2017 27" iMac with an AMD RX 570 GPU and the result was that there was no issue in transparency in light mode and a working Quick Look and preview.

Another thing that I found interesting was that there is no need to inject Intel and the ig-platform-id for my SkyLake rig on Mojave in which case the iGPU would be recognized as "Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB" without any injections and that's how the macOS is recognized it in the iMac as well except for the SKL part which was the KBL (for the KabyLake CPU) and if I inject Intel and the ig-platform-id it will be recognized as "Intel HD Graphics 530"

@arsradu

About the nVidia GPUs I'm not sure why it's happening but I suspect that it's because of the SMBIOS settings.

I have a hunch which is that we usually set the SMBIOS in regard to the CPU but it can be set in regard to the GPU as well (this can explain the Black Screen Issue on several SMBIOS Settings as well), but yet again it's a hunch.

For example iMac Late 2012 (Compatible SMBIOS is iMac13,x) has an IvyBridge CPU with a GeForce GTX 675MX GPU and it supports Mojave if you are up to it you can give it a try and test it with Mojave by changing the GPU settings in BIOS/UEFI from iGPU to dGPU and see if the issue still persist with the transparency and Quick Looks and no iGPU injections.

You can also give the iMacPro's SMBIOS a test and see how it works. @Pavo has already confirmed that on his Xeon rig by using the iMacPro SMBIOS those issues were fixed and his rig has no issues regarding the transparency and Quick Looks without an iGPU.

The iMacPro SMBIOS solved the black screen issue as well when I was still using my 1070 GPU on my SkyLake rig last year.

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 8.50.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 8.51.40 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I came to that conclusion about the AMD GPU being set as the primary by examining an 2017 27" iMac with an AMD RX 570 GPU and the result was that there was no issue in transparency in light mode and a working Quick Look and preview.
Another thing that I found interesting was that there is no need to inject Intel and the ig-platform-id for my SkyLake rig on Mojave in which case the iGPU would be recognized as "Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB" without any injections and that's how the macOS is recognized it in the iMac as well except for the SKL part which was the KBL (for the KabyLake CPU) and if I inject Intel and the ig-platform-id it will be recognized as "Intel HD Graphics 530"

[mention=1303722]arsradu[/mention]
About the nVidia GPUs I'm not sure why it's happening but I suspect that it's because of the SMBIOS settings.
I have a hunch which is that we usually set the SMBIOS in regard to the CPU but it can be set in regard to the GPU as well (this can explain the Black Screen Issue on several SMBIOS Settings as well), but yet again it's a hunch.
For example iMac Late 2012 (Compatible SMBIOS is iMac13,x) has an IvyBridge CPU with a GeForce GTX 675MX GPU and it supports Mojave if you are up to it you can give it a try and test it with Mojave by changing the GPU settings in BIOS/UEFI from iGPU to dGPU and see if the issue still persist with the transparency and Quick Looks and no iGPU injections.
You can also give the iMacPro's SMBIOS a test and see how it works. [mention=685502]Pavo[/mention] has already confirmed that on his Xeon rig by using the iMacPro SMBIOS those issues were fixed and his rig has no issues regarding the transparency and Quick Looks without an iGPU.
The iMacPro SMBIOS solved the black screen issue as well when I was still using my 1070 GPU on my SkyLake rig last year.
1380482624_ScreenShot2018-07-14at8_50_05PM.png.6ccf32abda46f458a8c547379c9e233f.png
721538578_ScreenShot2018-07-14at8_51_40PM.png.8f5204dc418323aae627df52e8de3233.png

That is interesting. Yeah, I set the SMBIOS in regards to the CPU (i5 4570 —> iMac14,2). Never thought about the GPU. I’ll give it a try tonight and let you know how it went. Now i’m curious. :D
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, surfcaster said:

Change SMBios by Mac Pro 6.1, now if all the hardware of my signature works

The closes SMBIOS to match the GPU (RX560) is the iMac18,2 but the CPU is based on KabyLake architecture. If you are going to switch the SMBIOS I suggest to use iMac18,2 rather than the MacPro6,1

17 minutes ago, surfcaster said:

thanks, the bad thing is that my system is Sandy bridge, I was always faithful to the hardware = SMBios but now to work something must be out of place or the CPU / Chipset or the GPU, difficult choice

It's ok I know what you mean, but if you are going to use Mojave on your rig, you most likely need to change the SMBIOS anyway unless you use the "-no_compat_check" boot flag.

And please remember I proposed the SMBIOS change as an experiment to whether confirm my hypothesis about the issues on Mojave's Beta versions and it might be wrong and the issues most likely will be fixed in the final version ;)

Edited by Cyberdevs

At the moment I can say that with SMBios of iMac preview does not work, with Mac Pro everything works correctly, I'm from the old school, I always test the states of the processor and if the sleep works or not, everything works the same with iMac or MacPro only difference in preview with jpeg, in my Bios options the integrated one (HD2500 not suported) is disabled and in the boot it is in AUTO but it does not make a difference

edit:

-no_compat_check in use

Edited by surfcaster
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, surfcaster said:

At the moment I can say that with SMBios of iMac preview does not work, with Mac Pro everything works correctly, I'm from the old school, I always test the states of the processor and if the sleep works or not, everything works the same with iMac or MacPro only difference in preview with jpeg, in my Bios options the integrated one is disabled and in the boot it is in AUTO but it does not make a difference

good to know, I purchased a new motherboard a few days ago, and it did the trick... but performance is the same. only difference now is the intel hd 630 and radeon is working in conjunction & allowing jpgs to be viewed. Just curious, if you look at your system report, under graphics/Displays, do you see multiple items listed?

1 hour ago, surfcaster said:

At the moment I can say that with SMBios of iMac preview does not work, with Mac Pro everything works correctly, I'm from the old school, I always test the states of the processor and if the sleep works or not, everything works the same with iMac or MacPro only difference in preview with jpeg, in my Bios options the integrated one (HD2500 not suported) is disabled and in the boot it is in AUTO but it does not make a difference

edit:

-no_compat_check in use

Well that's good to know thanks for the test and the -no_compat_check is only usable if you try to install and boot macOS on an unsupported hardware. MacPro6,1 and iMac18,2 won't need that flag anyway.

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

Well that's good to know thanks for the test and the -no_compat_check is only usable if you try to install and boot macOS on an unsupported hardware. MacPro6,1 and iMac18,2 won't need that flag anyway.

i dit not know

3 hours ago, ricktm said:

good to know, I purchased a new motherboard a few days ago, and it did the trick... but performance is the same. only difference now is the intel hd 630 and radeon is working in conjunction & allowing jpgs to be viewed. Just curious, if you look at your system report, under graphics/Displays, do you see multiple items listed?

I see Intel HD 200 series if I enable the integrated, if it is not enabled I only see the RX 560

@Cyberdevs I tested the iMac13,2 SMBIOS. BIOS set to PEG (dedicated GPU).

I've got this to say: LOL.

It freaking WORKS! :)))))) WHAT THE ACTUAL F...ORK??!!! :)))

So, tested:

1. Switched from IGD to PEG (the control, just to make sure I'm not crazy and it really doesn't work by default with iMac14,2 and BIOS set to PEG).
English: switched from integrated GPU to dedicated GPU in BIOS.
    Result: It does not work.
Which is both good and bad. Good, cause it means I'm not crazy (that's always nice to hear). Bad, cause, well, it doesn't work. :))
2. Created a new config with iMac13,2 SMBIOS and rebooted to it from Clover->Options->Configs->ConfigiMac13,2.plist

Result: everything works fine

3. Removed Inject Intel and ig-platform-id from this config

Result: all fine

4. Removed IntelGraphicsFixup kext form Clover/kexts/Other

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@Cyberdevs I tested the iMac13,2 SMBIOS. BIOS set to PEG (dedicated GPU).

I've got this to say: LOL.

It freaking WORKS! :)))))) WHAT THE ACTUAL F...ORK??!!! :)))

So, tested:

1. Switched from IGD to PEG (the control, just to make sure I'm not crazy and it really doesn't work by default with iMac14,2 and BIOS set to PEG).
English: switched from integrated GPU to dedicated GPU in BIOS.
    Result: It does not work.
Which is both good and bad. Good, cause it means I'm not crazy (that's always nice to hear). Bad, cause, well, it doesn't work. :))
2. Created a new config with iMac13,2 SMBIOS and rebooted to it from Clover->Options->Configs->ConfigiMac13,2.plist

Result: everything works fine

3. Removed Inject Intel and ig-platform-id from this config

4. Removed IntelGraphicsFixup kext form Clover/kexts/Other

So you can confirm my hypothesis?

10 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:
So you can confirm my hypothesis?

Well, I don't have to. Facts do. :))

Looks like you were right. Or..otherwise this is a really weird and very lucky coincidence. Aaand I don't believe in that. So yeah, I'd say you were right!
Now I wish I had a GTX 770 at hand to test the iMac14,2 as well. :)) But yeah, today I learned something new. Thank you!

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

I am thinking that it really all has to do with the SMBIOS BIOs version and BIOs release date. Because the Mojave installer is installing new firmware for some real Macs.

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 2

Yeah, so, in my opinion, it all comes down to choosing the right hardware for the right SMBIOS. And doing the research before buying (if you're planning to build a hack out of that computer).

Problem is...most of the new users don't know what to do, where to look, what to look for...and most of the times they buy incompatible/unsupported hardware. And it sucks. It creates a lot of issues and frustration (especially the video card). It makes it harder to use, requires tons of patches. And all that because they don't know how to do their research beforehand. And because most of them buy their hardware for Windows/games. Which...is most of the times not what Apple offers. So either they need to wait for Apple to catch up with that hardware. Ooor, buy slightly older hardware. The other option would be to buy whatever they want and then try to deal with the issues the best they can... But, as I said, that is really, really painful and frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Pavo said:

I am thinking that it really all has to do with the SMBIOS BIOs version and BIOs release date. Because the Mojave installer is installing new firmware for some real Macs.

9 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Well, I don't have to. Facts do. :))

Looks like you were right. Or..otherwise this is a really weird and very lucky coincidence. Aaand I don't believe in that. So yeah, I'd say you were right!
Now I wish I had a GTX 770 at hand to test the iMac14,2 as well. :)) But yeah, today I learned something new. Thank you!

The bases of what I proposed is simply based on the config map of the AGDP and displaypolicy.db and the way it will make the macOS behave regarding the AMD/Intel fremebuffer and nVidia's native drivers rather than the SMBIOS versions and the release dates.

I guess our developers can shed more light on the matter.

Guys, did you get this kind of updates before...? Problem is...it doesn't really get installed. I mean, it completes the installation successfully. But, after reboot, it asks for the same update again.

Is this intended?

1397223937_Screenshot2018-07-20at23_12_52.png.7321e30f241ab7e73521866765e0e681.png

Edited by arsradu