Jump to content
330 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Just now, arsradu said:

I'm a noob. I only switched the board-id in the SMBIOS itself. :D Which...well, works. :))) But I'm sure it's not quite what you meant.

 

I'm looking into AGDP.kext's info.plist right now... I guess that's what I should have done in the first place, right? :)) Also, what do I need to replace in Clover config...? That's the confusing part. I mean, kext-to-patch -> the kext -> find -> replace etc. Ok but WHAT to look for and what to replace with? That's what I don't know.

Well that's not quite exactly what I have proposed :D, but I guess you have found an easier way to resolve the issue.

Here's what I'm gonna ask you to do if that's possible and if you're up for it. Do a clean install with the new config and the new SMBIOS settings and then see if it still works.

Or if you o a nvram, kextcache reset it might have the same result.

 

The kext to patch method is beyond me and it requires binary patching which the previous versions didn't work:

 

For example this patch: (which it didn't work unless I activated the iGPU)

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy

Find: BA050000 00

Replace: BA000000 00

Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

Well that's not quite exactly what I have proposed :D, but I guess you have found an easier way to resolve the issue.

Here's what I'm gonna ask you to do if that's possible and if you're up for it. Do a clean install with the new config and the new SMBIOS settings and then see if it still works.

Or if you o a nvram, kextcache reset it might have the same result.

 

The kext to patch method is beyond me and it requires binary patching which the previous versions didn't work:

 

For example this patch: (which it didn't work unless I activated the iGPU)

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy

Find: BA050000 00

Replace: BA000000 00

Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696

 

Right. I always liked simplicity and efficiency. I'm a simple guy. I see a board-id, I take it. Doesn't matter if it's not the right one. Or in the right place.

 

But, it does work. :)))))

 

I'll try a nvram and kextcache reset first. I...could also make a new installation. I'll have to clean up some space for that though... But first, let's see if it works without it.

 

Test 1: completed successfully.

 

Wanna take it one step further and see if it works for a clean installation? Let's do it.

 

Test 2 (clean install): completed successfully.

Edited by arsradu
  • Haha 1

Both iMac13,2 with board-id Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 and the iMac14,2 with board-id Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 use the "none" config map which makes me think that the AGDP kext manipulation might not even work.

But if you look at the settings of each bosrd-id you can see that they have predefined settings for some specific GPUs such as:

 

iMac13,2 with board-id Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4

Vendor10deDevice0fe0: GK107M [GeForce GTX 660M Mac Edition]

Vendor10deDevice11a2: GK104M [GeForce GTX 675MX Mac Edition]

Vendor10deDevice11a3: GK104M [GeForce GTX 680MX]

 

and:

 

iMac14,2 with board-id Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61

Vendor10deDevice0fea: GK107M [GeForce GT 755M Mac Edition]

Vendor10deDevice119d: GK104M [GeForce GTX 775M Mac Edition]

Vendor10deDevice119e: GK104M [GeForce GTX 780M Mac Edition]

These are the GPUs that are predefined in the kext.

 

So if we can change or add the values for other GPUs in theory it should also work.

27 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Both iMac13,2 with board-id Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 and the iMac14,2 with board-id Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 use the "none" config map which makes me think that the AGDP kext manipulation might not even work.

But if you look at the settings of each bosrd-id you can see that they have predefined settings for some specific GPUs such as:

 

iMac13,2 with board-id Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4

Vendor10deDevice0fe0: GK107M [GeForce GTX 660M Mac Edition]

Vendor10deDevice11a2: GK104M [GeForce GTX 675MX Mac Edition]

Vendor10deDevice11a3: GK104M [GeForce GTX 680MX]

 

and:

 

iMac14,2 with board-id Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61

Vendor10deDevice0fea: GK107M [GeForce GT 755M Mac Edition]

Vendor10deDevice119d: GK104M [GeForce GTX 775M Mac Edition]

Vendor10deDevice119e: GK104M [GeForce GTX 780M Mac Edition]

These are the GPUs that are predefined in the kext.

 

So if we can change or add the values for other GPUs in theory it should also work.

 

That...is a very nice theory. So, for example add an unsupported GPU like a GTX950 here? :)) That would be interesting. :))

 

I'm currently waiting for the installation to complete, just so you know. I created a new partition, booted into HS, since that's the only way I know to get the full installer lol, and started the installation from there. Should be done in a few minutes.

 

Still, I'm curious what are those numbers... Where do you get them from? That looks like hexadecimal code to me. But hex for what? That's the question.

3 minutes ago, arsradu said:

 

That...is a very nice theory. So, for example add an unsupported GPU like a GTX950 here? :)) That would be interesting. :))

 

I'm currently waiting for the installation to complete, just so you know. I created a new partition, booted into HS, since that's the only way I know to get the full installer lol, and started the installation from there. Should be done in a few minutes.

 

Still, I'm curious what are those numbers... Where do you get them from? That looks like hexadecimal code to me. But hex for what? That's the question.

Yeah that's the idea!

About those numbers your guess is as good as mine :D

I know that some properties for many devices can be added to the FakeSMC but how to find the correct values and how to implement them is totally another story.

6 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah that's the idea!

About those numbers your guess is as good as mine :D

I know that some properties for many devices can be added to the FakeSMC but how to find the correct values and how to implement them is totally another story.

 

Yeah... In the meantime, installation finished, and test completed successfully. :D Meaning hell yeah, it works! :)))

That's awesome :D

Thanks for spending the time and testing the idea!

Now the the only question that remains is that "Is Apple going to accept the SMBIOS and activate the iCloud and iMessage Services or not?"

6 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

That's awesome :D

Thanks for spending the time and testing the idea!

Now the the only question that remains is that "Is Apple going to accept the SMBIOS and activate the iCloud and iMessage Services or not?"

 

Well, funny that you asked. I was asking myself the same thing. So I tested it. And the answer is.. yes. :) 

3 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Haha!

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

 

In your face Apple!!

:D

Sorry I got carried away :D

 

That's quite ok. Don't worry. Now I'm curious...would there be a difference between the AGDP patching and the let's call it "noob approach"? I guess the difference would be in CPU PM... Since, with this method, my CPU PM is the one for the iMac13,2. No biggie. Just wondering if patching the AGDP (and HOW?) would make a difference in this case...

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

That's quite ok. Don't worry. Now I'm curious...would there be a difference between the AGDP patching and the let's call it "noob approach"? I guess the difference would be in CPU PM... Since, with this method, my CPU PM is the one for the iMac13,2. No biggie. Just wondering if patching the AGDP (and HOW?) would make a difference in this case...

Well honestly I don't know, you can run the Intel Power Gadget and see the CPU PM and monitor the frequencies and if they are as they supposed to be, well this new approach can be all we need, there will be no more need to patch the AGDP anyway unless apple reads this topic and messes things up in the next beta and the final release :D :dev:

  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Well honestly I don't know, you can run the Intel Power Gadget and see the CPU PM and monitor the frequencies and if they are as they supposed to be, well this new approach can be all we need, there will be no more need to patch the AGDP anyway unless apple reads this topic and messes things up in the next beta and the final release :D :dev:

 

Well, for as far as I know, the AGDP issue (black screen on boot) on Skylake builds, for example, is SMBIOS dependent. So, partially (which seams to work) or entirely changing the SMBIOS from iMac17,1 for example, to an iMac14,2 should, at least in theory, work, as well. Now, of course, this will also mean that the CPU PM might not work as intended...but, as you said, that can be patched later on.

Edited by arsradu
3 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Well, for as far as I know, the AGDP issue (black screen on boot) on Skylake builds, for example, is SMBIOS dependent. So, partially (which seams to work) or entirely changing the SMBIOS form iMac17,1 for example, to an iMac14,2 should, at least in theory, work, as well. Now, of course, this will also mean that the CPU PM might not work as intended...but, as you said, that can be patched later on.

That particular issue is because of the config map that iMac17,1 is uses which is Config2 and the fix either changes the Config2 to None or disables board-id check completely, it depends on the patch but if I remember correctly changing the SMBIOS to iMac18,1 and even iMacPro didn't affect the CPU PM.

 

I conducted some test a while back with another fellow member and he confirm that it didn't affect the CPU PM.

I will test the same thing later and keep you updated on the results.

iMac18,1 doesn't have the black screen issue on my rig I have tested it but I wanted to stay on the same SMBIOS (17,1).

 

With Quick Look ear probably means opening a date (pdf or png etc.) with the space bar or ? with my MSI Z97 and Intel HD4600 this works perfectly

without foreign things. e.g. if I have a png file, press spacebar immediately the picture is there.
Or do problems only occur with external graphics like your Nvidia cards?

Sorry I hadn't read the first page of the Quick Look problem... everything ok only occurs with external graphics not with iGPU.

Edited by pinarek
53 minutes ago, pinarek said:

With Quick Look ear probably means opening a date (pdf or png etc.) with the space bar or ? with my MSI Z97 and Intel HD4600 this works perfectly

without foreign things. e.g. if I have a png file, press spacebar immediately the picture is there.
Or do problems only occur with external graphics like your Nvidia cards?

Sorry I hadn't read the first page of the Quick Look problem... everything ok only occurs with external graphics not with iGPU.

 

Yes, the issue occurs when pressing spacebar (that's QuickLook), or opening the file in Preview app. But it's only for JPG files. :) PNG work fine. And yes, it's only for dedicated GPUs.

Well, I had to ask Mald0n for help because last week I suffered the 2nd intervention in the left eye and the other one is not exactly what I see, it helped me a lot with the DSDT and my Clover folder, it put me back to the SMBios iMacx 12.2 well thought out is the one that corresponds to me by hardware (except for the graph), the only downside is that now I must use the flag: -no_compat_check and I do not know what happened with the updates because I never did it that way.
Returning to the subject of the post I must say that with this SMBios iMac 12.2 jpeg preview works and everything is functional, rest works, wake up audio included, what will I say? Mald0n is a genius from here I appreciate all the help he has given me and you because this post has given me some good ideas to put into practice when I see a little better, right now it is painful to make comparisons of DSDT and * .plist of the kexts when the view starts to hurt by the effort at 15 cm from the screen

Edited by surfcaster
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, surfcaster said:

Well, I had to ask Mald0n for help because last week I suffered the 2nd intervention in the left eye and the other one is not exactly what I see, it helped me a lot with the DSDT and my Clover folder, it put me back to the SMBios iMacx 12.2 well thought out is the one that corresponds to me by hardware (except for the graph), the only downside is that now I must use the flag: -no_compat_check and I do not know what happened with the updates because I never did it that way.
Returning to the subject of the post I must say that with this SMBios iMac 12.2 jpeg preview works and everything is functional, rest works, wake up audio included, what will I say? Mald0n is a genius from here I appreciate all the help he has given me and you because this post has given me some good ideas to put into practice when I see a little better, right now it is painful to make comparisons of DSDT and * .plist of the kexts when the view starts to hurt by the effort at 15 cm from the screen

 

Maaan, take good care of yourself... Also, I'm glad to hear that everything works for you. :)

  • Allan pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 2:52 PM, ricktm said:

 

My specs are:

HP 700-230ea

Intel i7 4770 3.4 GHz

AMD Raedon R9 270

 

I have absolutely everything running, the only issue i am experiencing is the fact when i go to open a jpeg file, the preview app hangs...this does not happen with png files.. and my SMBIOS is all setup correctly...today I got to update to beta 5 and the preview app hanging is still the same, has anyone got a fic for this one issue?

I have no other issues, no lagging, ecceleration is perfect it sees my R9270 graphics card...just this one thing thats so annoying :)

4 hours ago, cutekitten78 said:

My specs are:

HP 700-230ea

Intel i7 4770 3.4 GHz

AMD Raedon R9 270

 

I have absolutely everything running, the only issue i am experiencing is the fact when i go to open a jpeg file, the preview app hangs...this does not happen with png files.. and my SMBIOS is all setup correctly...today I got to update to beta 5 and the preview app hanging is still the same, has anyone got a fic for this one issue?

I have no other issues, no lagging, ecceleration is perfect it sees my R9270 graphics card...just this one thing thats so annoying :)

 

If the stuff that I suggested over PM didn't work for you (meaning using iMac15,1 SMBIOS), since you're using an HP system (meaning HP BIOS with no option to switch between dedicated and integrated GPU), I'm afraid there is no other fix. You can try something that someone else tried and buy a new motherboard.  Other than that...I have no idea.

 

Maybe @Cyberdevs has some input for this....?

 

But, I think Plan B most likely won't work for you, because of the marvellous HP bios.

4 hours ago, cutekitten78 said:

My specs are:

HP 700-230ea

Intel i7 4770 3.4 GHz

AMD Raedon R9 270

 

I have absolutely everything running, the only issue i am experiencing is the fact when i go to open a jpeg file, the preview app hangs...this does not happen with png files.. and my SMBIOS is all setup correctly...today I got to update to beta 5 and the preview app hanging is still the same, has anyone got a fic for this one issue?

I have no other issues, no lagging, ecceleration is perfect it sees my R9270 graphics card...just this one thing thats so annoying :)

How do you activate the GPU are you using WhateverGreen.kext or you just let the macOS detect the frambuffer for your R9 270. 

Is it an AMD R9 270 or 270X?

Just now, RedHibby said:

I am following this thread with interest because I have been trying to get preview to work but unsuccessfully.

What are your hardware specs? Please update your signature with the details of your hardware. This will help us to know more about your hardware and hopefully find out what's the cause.

Which version of Mojave are you using?

3 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

What are your hardware specs? Please update your signature with the details of your hardware. This will help us to know more about your hardware and hopefully find out what's the cause.

Which version of Mojave are you using?

Thanks but I have been trying to add my specs, where do I do this? I am on Mojave 10.14 (18A353d).

1 minute ago, RedHibby said:

Thanks but I have been trying to add my specs, where do I do this? I am on Mojave 10.14 (18A353d).

Go to your Account  Settings (click on your name on the top menu) and select "Signature" and you can add your details there.

  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, RedHibby said:

Thanks but I have been trying to add my specs, where do I do this? I am on Mojave 10.14 (18A353d).

Based on your hardware specs you should be able to use the methods provided in the first post. How is your config.plist configured?

Are you using any kexts for activating your GPUs or you just use clover's injections or DSDT/SSDTs for your hardware?

  • Allan unpinned this topic
×
×
  • Create New...