[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

ive successfully run high sierra now, but i dont know how to get my audio work. Only the HDMI and AirPlay devices are listed in the Settings. Ive already tried copying the recent lilu and AppleHDA kexts into the /kexts/other folder on the EFI Partition

Hi all ... I have managed to set up my 780 with High Sierra after a bit of struggle but now it boots without interruption and I'm rapt.

I had to edit the Clover boot loader options to specifically disable the ATI Injection option to get this to work.  I thought I would need this since I am using an ATI 5450 as many have recommended but with the option enabled this just threw a bunch of errors on the screen after trying to run the install or load options from the boot loader.

So now, my next priority is to get the resolution right.  The display should be set at 1920x1080 but it's set lower and stretched. 

How can I go about tweaking this resolution setting?  In the display properties there is only one option - 1280x1024.

Cheers

Paul

Did you rollback kexts as explained in Step 6 & 8?

Save in advance the following Kext's from your Sierra installation from /System/Library/Extensions:

AMDRadeonX3000.kext
AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
IOAccelerator2D.plugin
IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext

hi morpheusman ... no.. I didn't ... I thought that was only necesary if the screen went black -- which it didn't

I'll try that tonight.

While I have your ear - so to speak - can you suggest how I would go about making whatever changes I need to make so that I can connect remotely (using eg VNC) to my hackintosh?  I tried from another machine on my home network and I keep getting "connection refused"

Cheers

Paul

On 5/3/2018 at 10:03 PM, unrealpants said:

While I have your ear - so to speak - can you suggest how I would go about making whatever changes I need to make so that I can connect remotely (using eg VNC) to my hackintosh?  I tried from another machine on my home network and I keep getting "connection refused"

Cheers

Paul

I use TeamViewer, but have not used it in a while.

4 hours ago, Arsalan.ghaffar said:

hi, i got to installer but cant find my  HDD there, its currenlty in ntfs, running windows... optiplex 780, c2d...

31531605_641229302908015_6759720053601468416_n.jpg

Are your Bios Settings Correct, and is the Hard Drive seen in your Bios?

Hi morpheusman

Yes, I now have done this and it has worked!

Next challenge -- audio.  I tried following the steps but I had no luck with my Optiplex 7780 using the ALC method.

Any tips?  .... or are there some more detailed steps somewhere I can try to follow for this?

Cheers

Paul

Guest ricoc90
On 5/4/2018 at 4:03 AM, unrealpants said:

hi morpheusman ... no.. I didn't ... I thought that was only necesary if the screen went black -- which it didn't

I'll try that tonight.

Cheers

Paul

Maybe I'm joining the party a little late, but in order to use remote access you'll need to enable this in settings > sharing > screen sharing.

DP5 running without issues (as expected) on my 790 

UfrHaq6.png

DP5 update Optiplex780 also without problems

As always:
rollback graphics kext for the HD5450
rollback AppleHDA for audio

@unrealpants

rollback appelhda works?

Edited by MacPeet

This process has been fun and productive... but more problems keep appearing ... 

now the network drops out rather regularly....  I notice on another forum they suggest to do a 'NIC restart' 

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/network-stops-working-when-downloading-large-files.22473/

If that's the solution and it's something I can automate, I'm happy to try.

@MacPeet

no.... I tried using EasyKext to rollback using the kexts you supplied from 10.13.3 but no joy.  Is there something else I need to do?... in your first post, you suggested using 11 or 13 to match the on-board audio in Clover Configurator.  I'll try searching for those instructions and give it another go.  In other news, my network dropouts seem to have gone away.... yay!

ok so I've found these instrucitons https://hackintosher.com/guides/get-hackintosh-audio-working/

Should I be following these? I don't want to mess anything up now things are working so well (except for audio)

Edited by unrealpants

@MacPeet I replaced my config.plist, DSDT.aml and the AppleALC and Lilu files with the ones that that you supplied but still I see no option at all for audio output device.

it feels like I'm *so* close but have missed some minor but important step.

In this dialogue there are no options when I click "Selected sound output device"

601836387_ScreenShot2018-05-20at9_28_57pm.png.f5db1e7e4fc33ff32f0c676e5c63bf0e.png

On 5/13/2018 at 11:51 PM, unrealpants said:

Hi morpheusman

Yes, I now have done this and it has worked!

Next challenge -- audio.  I tried following the steps but I had no luck with my Optiplex 7780 using the ALC method.

Any tips?  .... or are there some more detailed steps somewhere I can try to follow for this?

Cheers

Paul

Sorry, the Video kexts rollback is something I have not had to deal with because I upgraded to 790 and 990. 

13 hours ago, MacPeet said:

voodoohda disabler still on board
check L / E
check terminal "kextstat"
check Systeminformationen.app/Extensions if AppleHDA is loaded

how could you tell that the voodoohda disabler is "still on board"?  if this is a bad thing, how do I get rid of it?

by "Check L / E" do you mean Library/Extensions ?

14 hours ago, MacPeet said:

voodoohda disabler still on board
check L / E
check terminal "kextstat"
check Systeminformationen.app/Extensions if AppleHDA is loaded

OK I've checked Library/Extensions - AppleHDA.kext is there

I checked System/Library/Extensions - AppleHDA.kext is there

I ran "kextstat" and could not see any reference to ApplieHDA.kext in the output.. the only thing close was com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController

i couldn't find any "Systeminformation.app/Extensions"

Is this meaningful?

AppleHDA does not belong to Library / Extensions
You probably installed the rollback AppleHDA 10.13.3 after Library / Extensions
delete AppleHDA in Library / Extensions
and Rollback AppleHDA 10.13.3 to S / L / E

17 hours ago, MacPeet said:

AppleHDA does not belong to Library / Extensions
You probably installed the rollback AppleHDA 10.13.3 after Library / Extensions
delete AppleHDA in Library / Extensions
and Rollback AppleHDA 10.13.3 to S / L / E

Hi MacPeet .. I deleted AppleHDA in L / E and rolled back AppleHDA 10.13.3 to S / L / E
AppleHDA.kext definitely appears in S / L / E now and not in L / E but still no sound options and kextstatus is not showing even the AppleHDAController I saw yesterday

Should I try playing with the 'Options' that appear when the Clover bootloader comes on at startup?

Audio is activated in the BIOS ???

DSDT.aml is in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ ???

Check System Information Extensions in Utilities:

check.thumb.png.ee15072152d170aaecfd7f23cd004cc6.png

Let KextUtility run again for cache rebuild

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1