[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

Guest ricoc90
7 minutes ago, PandaStirling said:

I don't have the language chooser, it directly go to the macOS Utilities :/

But I'll reboot to the installer and see if there's a way I can go the language chooser

You need to click on "File -> Language Chooser". Or well, I can't remember exactly. It's somewhere in the top navigation bar :P

7 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:
You need to click on "File -> Language Chooser". Or well, I can't remember exactly. It's somewhere in the top navigation bar default_tongue.png

Thanks a lot :D !
de9f805602779c9e3e4e11f8c4bacce4.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Edited by PandaStirling

I also have a question while HS is installing

I actually have El Capitan installed (I’m dualbooting EC and HS), but not Sierra, can I use the 5450 kext from El Capitan ? Will it work on HS ? And if not, can anyone send me the Sierra kext ? (So I install them on HS from the EC partition) Thanks a lot, again x)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Guest ricoc90

You don't need any specific kext. Inject the card and use FB Shrike, as explained in post #1
However, you won't be able to use the 5450 in High Sierra. You'll need to rollback some kexts, also explained in post #1
I don't have Sierra anymore, so I can't help you with that.
Maybe MacPeet or someone else can upload them for you

Yeah that's what I was talking about, rollback the kexts, because it talks about Sierra, but not El Capitan.

But anyway, I can wait until someone post these here, El Capitan will remain as my main system until I see that High Sierra is stable and problem-free, that everything works (sound, LAN, HDMI audio, ect..)

Edited by PandaStirling

Ok so...

Guess who's now running High Sierra :D:D:D:D 

1522977647-capture-d-ecran-2018-04-06-a-

And HDMI Audio worked OOB after installing your kext !

Thanks a lot man, you're my savior !

Now I'm saving all my files, format my El Capitan partition, and copy the High Sierra installation on it !

EDIT: So, I'm half happy, yeah i have the most recent macOS version, but it's slow from time to time (more than it was on El Capitan) and I have few graphics glitches there and there (red color instead of the background on the login, it happened once, and when going to fullscreen on YouTube (it stay red about half a second instead of the animation, so it's not important, but it's ugly)

I'll see if it's just minor issue that I can just ignore, or if it's really annoy me too much, I'll restore my El Capitan CCC Backup (which is on a external HDD)

But I know it's also that my specs are pretty weak for HS, I'll see later to buy a Core 2 Quad 8400 (cheapest Core 2 Quad I founded that have SSE4.1, necessary for Sierra and more), 2 more GB of RAM, a GT 1030 or just a better GPU than the HD5450, that would work natively on High Sierra, and maybe a new HDD (I just can't put a SSD in there, I don't like having external storage, and I have about 740GB of data in my HDD, buying a big enough SSD would be really too expensive)

Edited by PandaStirling

Guest ricoc90

Red background at login prompt is common with this method, I believe i've read that there's an (easy) fix for that but I can't find it at the moment.

High Sierra might be a little slow on a mechanical drive, especially if you formatted as APFS.

Anyway, the Q8200 supports SSE4 too, might be cheaper than the Q8400 (€10 on eBay)
The GT 1030 doesn't work natively on macOS though, you'll need the WebDrivers.
The GT 710 does work OOB.

I've read about the fix, but I don't remember what it was x)

It hasn't happened since, but the red screen instead of the animation on YouTube is always there x)

And It's formatted as HFS+, I have a SSD in my MBP, which I originally wanted to use on my Optiplex but It doesn't work well with the BIOS (will be detected 1 times out of 10)

I have a GT730 that I lent to a friend, but it's a full size graphics card, not low profile, so It won't work on the SFF, even if I let the cover off (which I do because with the passive HD5450, and the small heatsink for the CPU, it run way to hot), it's too "tall" to fit inside

And yeah the Q8200 would be cheaper, but I don't want to go with too low frequency (even tho a 2.33GHz Quad Core might be faster than a 3GHz Dual Core)

I've found a Q8400S for 20€ on Aliexpress (I don't know if the SFF 780 accepts 95W CPU, I don't want to put to much strength on that little PSU) 

Honeslty, I will either upgrade the 780, or wait, and save money to buy a Mini Tower Optiplex with i5 CPU, I think it will be the second option x)

Edited by PandaStirling

red login background:
replace /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

com.apple.desktop.admin.png.zip

The C2D E8400 3.0GHz is good. Better single-core performance.
The C2Q Q8200 brings you no improvement.
SSD alone brings for Sierra or HS.
You have more than one Sata connection. SSD for the system and HDD for data. Perfect, right?

Edited by MacPeet
  • Like 1

I change the CPU i3 2100 on my spare Dell Optiplex for a i5 2500 

the i5 is the old  cpu of my main Optiplex

the change is notable and sensitive :D

1:582  0:000  Running on: 'OptiPlex 790' with board '0J3C2F'
1:582  0:000  === [ GetCPUProperties ] ==================================
1:582  0:000  CPU Vendor = 756E6547 Model=206A7
1:582  0:000   The CPU supported SSE4.1
1:582  0:000  BrandString = Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
1:582  0:000   The CPU not supported turbo

captu480.png

On 07/04/2018 at 8:46 AM, MacPeet said:

red login background:
replace /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

com.apple.desktop.admin.png.zip

The C2D E8400 3.0GHz is good. Better single-core performance.
The C2Q Q8200 brings you no improvement.
SSD alone brings for Sierra or HS.
You have more than one Sata connection. SSD for the system and HDD for data. Perfect, right?

So I did put the SSD on my Optiplex, it's not always detected (you can be sure that after a restart, it will not be detected, so I'll have to restart again again and again to finally find the time it will be detected

But other than that (because I will mostly leave it always on), it REALLY does speed up the system, it doesn't hang as much as it have done before (especially when a crashing app was crashing the whole system, it will actually close when I force it in the "Force quit" menu), so I'll leave it on here for now

On 14/04/2018 at 2:22 AM, morpheousman said:

Yeah, for the money, an SSD is probably the best bang for the buck for added performance.

Not sure why it is not being detected on each boot. No issues at all with the 3 that I have.

I saw a video where the guy had the same problem with a 745 and a SanDisk SSD (for the french: here's the video where he explains why it does that), but it was the same problem as me, he didn't had it with the Intel SSD tho, so I guess few SSD are capricious with the Optiplexs.

And, the graphics glitches and everything was pretty irritating, so I backed up all my files and made a fresh install of Sierra 10.12.6, it's already working waaaaaay better, I suggest to everybody who have a HD5450 to stay on Sierra.

Edited by PandaStirling

1 hour ago, PandaStirling said:

I saw a video where the guy had the same problem with a 745 and a SanDisk SSD, but it was the same problem as me, he didn't had it with the Intel SSD tho, so I guess few SSD are capricious with the Optiplexs.

And, the graphics glitches and everything was pretty irritating, so I backed up all my files and made a fresh install of Sierra 10.12.6, it's already working waaaaaay better, I suggest to everybody who have a HD5450 to stay on Sierra.

Yeah, I was wondering more people from High Sierra Guide have not migrated to this thread, but i think you answered that question.

I have been using Optiplex 790, and 990 for 2 years now, and have not had to deal with some of the issues people have been having with the older models.

Edited by morpheousman

14 hours ago, morpheousman said:

I have been using Optiplex 790, and 990 for 2 years now, and have not had to deal with some of the issues people have been having with the older models.

I believe the iX platform does change a lot of things, really don't know honeslty, the only iX hackintosh I had was a Acer Aspire V3 with a i3 and Optimus GeForce 710M and HD 3000 (It was such a hassle, I got Mavericks and Yosemite working, with only the HD3000, but I believe it's impossible to get Optimus GeForce working on OSX)

13 hours ago, chris1111 said:

I have 3 Radeon HD 5450 testing in HighSierra and its working like Sierra no difference here

Awesome !

But I don't know if It's because of my specific HD5450 (Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 Passive, to be exact), maybe I've done something wrong (even tho I really don't see what, I used the correct DSDT (that came from the El Capitan guide, I didn't really bothered changing the Clover files since it was working well), and installed the kext that @ricoc90 posted here with Kext Wizard) but for me, it didn't worked well :/

Maybe you can tell me if there's something wrong with my Clover folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_ROe7h77D7EnQmZqX6wCNEYNpa5Syz-N

Edited by PandaStirling

9 minutes ago, PandaStirling said:

I believe the iX platform does change a lot of things, really don't know honeslty, the only iX hackintosh I had was a Acer Aspire V3 with a i3 and Optimus GeForce 710M and HD 3000 (It was such a hassle, I got Mavericks and Yosemite working, with only the HD3000, but I believe it's impossible to get Optimus GeForce working on OSX)

Awesome !

But I don't know if It's because of my specific HD5450 (Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 Passive, to be exact), maybe I've done something wrong (even tho I really don't see what, I used the correct DSDT (that came from the El Capitan guide, I didn't really bothered changing the Clover files since it was working well), and installed the kext that @ricoc90 posted here with Kext Wizard) but for me, it didn't worked well :/

Maybe you can tell me if there's something wrong with my Clover folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_ROe7h77D7EnQmZqX6wCNEYNpa5Syz-N

You can try Stock DSDT (No Radeon patch)  with the config.plist attaching here

Let me know if that help

config.plist.zip

So I tried and it {censored}ed up everything XD

With the original DSDT and your config.plist, it booted to a black screen, couldn't start the hackintosh even with -x

I put the SSD in a external enclosure, connected it to my MacBook Pro, and put the original back (Which I had on my Sierra Install Stick), but It really did not help (interdiction sign)

I also reinstalled Clover from the MBP, and put the files from my install USB, but it does the same

So I don't know what I can do, should I really i re-install macOS ?

Yeah I think I will completly erase the SSD and do everything from the start.

It doesn't really bother me erasing it, I still have my 1TB HDD with a working copy of High Sierra 10.13.4, so I can get all my files back from there

Edited by PandaStirling

19 hours ago, PandaStirling said:

So I tried and it {censored}ed up everything XD

With the original DSDT and your config.plist, it booted to a black screen, couldn't start the hackintosh even with -x

I put the SSD in a external enclosure, connected it to my MacBook Pro, and put the original back (Which I had on my Sierra Install Stick), but It really did not help (interdiction sign)

I also reinstalled Clover from the MBP, and put the files from my install USB, but it does the same

So I don't know what I can do, should I really i re-install macOS ?

Yeah I think I will completly erase the SSD and do everything from the start.

It doesn't really bother me erasing it, I still have my 1TB HDD with a working copy of High Sierra 10.13.4, so I can get all my files back from there

Try just set Dual link = 1  in my config.plist because I not set like your 

<key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>DualLink</key>
        <integer>1</integer>

EDIT ***

you do not have to take out the SSD and change the config from your MacBook, just put both config in Clover and go to Clover Option / config and test the config

Edited by chris1111

Actually I had to, I couldn't boot macOS (so I couldn't change the files), but anyway, I put back the SSD on my MacBook (way to much hassle)

So I'm back at High Sierra 10.13.4, I'll install Sierra soon when I will have the time.

Since upgrading to 10.13.4 it cannot shut down properly. I stuckts at 

Failed to unmount /home (45)
Failed to unmount /net (45)
hfs: unmount initiated on MacOS on device b(1, 8)
done

I was trying to google around but not success. FixShutdown flag in config.plist doesnt't help, either.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance.

Ps: is there a reason to hide the serial number in the "About this Mac" screenshots and config.plists? I can see that most of you do that.. Is it not save to publish this info?