Jump to content

[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)


MacPeet
672 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, MacPeet said:

Here also 10.13.4 DP Beta5 17E182a  works on 780.
Again rollback of the AppleHDA of 10.13.3. I still have to do research for the audio problem.

no issue AppleALC here for the Optiplex 790 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, all devices work well. Only Dell780 with AD1984A not since beta's ... 4.
I can not find a mistake.
Rollback of the AppleHDA of 10.13.3 and Lilu + AppleALC works well.
Original AppleHDA's of the beta's and Lilu + AppleALC only works with HDMI audio.
Something has changed in the AppleHDA's for analog devices.
790 has ALC269 - no problem
my ALC888 also no problems
only AD1984A has problems with new AppleHDA

Edit:
All set like's are no longer there with the new forum software. So again...

Edited by MacPeet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just updated my Optiplex 755 (AD1984) to 10.13.4 DP5.
No issues with sound whatsoever, no need to do a AppleHDA rollback.
 

klvPXTq.png

 

Edited by ricoc90
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started with an Optiplex 760 a few years back, I think it was with Mountain Lion. Then I got an Optiplex 780, which is not a whole lot different, I think maybe just the chipset.

Now I have an Optiplex 790, and 990, and I would highly recommend to anyone just starting out to get a 790 or 990. 

With 790 SFF i5 cores going on eBay for about $110 US, I wouldn't be considering the older models myself. 

That's just my opinion. One thing to keep your older 755, 760 and 780's going, and maybe another if your just starting out.

Just a matter of personal choice, but I sold both my 780's and upgraded.

It's nice to have a little more CPU Power, and to not have to worry about rolling back kexts. :)

Edited by morpheousman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, morpheousman said:

I started with an Optiplex 760 a few years back, I think it was with Mountain Lion. Then I got an Optiplex 780, which is not a whole lot different, I think maybe just the chipset.

Now I have an Optiplex 790, and 990, and I would highly recommend to anyone just starting out to get a 790 or 990. 

With 790 SFF i5 cores going on eBay for about $110 US, I wouldn't be considering the older models myself. 

That's just my opinion. One thing to keep your older 750, 760 and 780's going, and maybe another if your just starting out.

Just a matter of personal choice, but I sold both my 780's and upgraded.

It's nice to have a little more CPU Power, and to not have to worry about rolling back kexts. :)

I totally agree with you, last week I buy another Dell Optiplex 790 with a CPU i3 2100 3.10Ghz, I buy it with only the CPU and nothing else I had for $ 60 Can. I use it for my Beta test and to do that I put my GeForce GT 1030 + 8 gig Ram Corsaire I am very happy now to have two Dell Optiplex. 790

For me this PC is the best compatible MacOS computer because you can run 10.6 to 10. 13 with a compatible Graphics card, What other computer can claim to be able to do this and have the same power as old iMac or Mac Pro :thumbsup_anim:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 790 has an i7 Core CPU, and I think I paid about $190 for that almost 2 years ago now. The HD5450 Graphics card was $20 after a $10 rebate. Throw in a Solid State Hard Drive, a nice 27" Monitor, and, according to a couple of my buddies, its every bit as functional as their iMacs. :)

I have about $450 in my 790 i7 Core, but wiithout the SSD, and getting the i5 core, which is still a fast CPU, you could put one together for about $300 - $350,  and thats including a decent monitor.

You can't beat that. :)

Edited by morpheousman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@morpheousman If I look at my sytems...

Optiplex 755

Spoiler

Stock specifications:
Core2Duo E6750
2GB RAM, 250GB HDD
No PCI GPU
Costs: $30

Upgrades:

  • CPU: $50
  • GPU: $45
  • RAM: $40
  • SSD: $60
  • WiFi: $20

Current specifications:

Core2Quad Q9550
8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
GT 710 GPU

Totals $245

Optiplex 790

Spoiler

Stock specifications:
Core i5-2400
4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
No PCI-E GPU
Costs: $160

Upgrades:

  • CPU: $60
  • GPU: $45
  • RAM: $30
  • SSD: $60
  • WiFi: $50

Current specifications:
Core i5-2500K
16GB RAM, 256GB SSD
GT 710 GPU

totals: $405

But in theory, it'd only have needed the GPU in order to run macOS,
so $220 total

But pushing an older system, like the 755, 760 and 780 to it's limits has its charms.
The 755 still runs very well on High Sierra, albeit a little slower than the 790 (obviously)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For new users is definitely a 790 or 990 better and more modern. Your arguments are good.
Not relevant to me. I have so many computers, MacPro, iMac ...
I have the 780 only for beta testing, I do not use it anymore.
However, it is fun to see how far it still works.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DP 6 running fine on my 790. Updating the 755 now

NALfJme.png

EDIT:
755 Also running fine and again no audio issues.
ayCdfGY.png

Edited by ricoc90
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all thanks for the nice howto and all the hints.

I had some troubles installing High Sierra on my 780. With High Sierra I received the "OSInstall.mpkg damaged" error, with Sierra I had the "no signal/black screen" problem. Finally I removed my graphics card and install Sierra by using onboard graphics, which was good enough. After installing I updated directly to High Sierra without problems, inserted again my GT710 and it just worked. It could be a useful hint for beginners that struggle an NVIDIA card like I did ;-)

I also got working an Realtek 8191SU USB WLAN Dongle, a Creative USB sound card and a Bluetooth dongle.

The only thing that does not work is sleep and wake. If I send it to sleep the monitor goes black but the box keeps running. After a time I can hear that the HDD stops as well, but the box still runs. And of course I cannot wake it anymore.

Do you have any idea how I could fix this? Boot time is quite long but it would not bother me if sleep/wake worked.

Thanks in advance

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Gaboro said:

First of all thanks for the nice howto and all the hints.

I had some troubles installing High Sierra on my 780. With High Sierra I received the "OSInstall.mpkg damaged" error, with Sierra I had the "no signal/black screen" problem. Finally I removed my graphics card and install Sierra by using onboard graphics, which was good enough. After installing I updated directly to High Sierra without problems, inserted again my GT710 and it just worked. It could be a useful hint for beginners that struggle an NVIDIA card like I did ;-)

I also got working an Realtek 8191SU USB WLAN Dongle, a Creative USB sound card and a Bluetooth dongle.

The only thing that does not work is sleep and wake. If I send it to sleep the monitor goes black but the box keeps running. After a time I can hear that the HDD stops as well, but the box still runs. And of course I cannot wake it anymore.

Do you have any idea how I could fix this? Boot time is quite long but it would not bother me if sleep/wake worked.

Thanks in advance

are you on HDMI ? Sleep and wake works here on my  Gigabyte GT 710  2 gig

Screen on HDMI Port

inject Nvidia = false

Edited by chris1111
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chris1111 said:

are you on HDMI ? Sleep and wake works here on my  Gigabyte GT 710  2 gig

inject Nvidia = false

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on HDMI as well and don't inject anything. 
Is it possible that it's because of the patched DSDT.aml I took from the howto? 
I mean that one: 

Quote

my_DSDT.aml.zip (my DSDT, optimized for Core2Quad, configured for HD5450 and Audio LayoutID 13 (0D) for AppleALC + Lilu. Additionally Framebuffer in the Clover is "Shrike" for the HD 5450)


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gaboro said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on HDMI as well and don't inject anything. 
Is it possible that it's because of the patched DSDT.aml I took from the howto? 
I mean that one: 


 

That DSDT injects the AMD Radeon 5000 series.
Try this:

DSDT.zip

Edited by ricoc90
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2018 at 1:07 PM, MacPeet said:

For new users is definitely a 790 or 990 better and more modern. Your arguments are good.
Not relevant to me. I have so many computers, MacPro, iMac ...
I have the 780 only for beta testing, I do not use it anymore.
However, it is fun to see how far it still works.

 

I just feel the Need For Speed. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, chris1111 said:

I mean  Inject Nvidia false in config.plist under Graphics

		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

Yes, it is false.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

That DSDT injects the AMD Radeon 5000 series.
Try this:

DSDT.zip

Thanks, I tried your DSDT but it's still the same, it doesn't really want to go to sleep...
Apart from that, I don't know what the reason could be.
Do have any special settings in config.plist? Any special driver installed? I only installed the EmuVariableUefi-64, OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and PartitionDxe-64...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Gaboro said:

Thanks, I tried your DSDT but it's still the same, it doesn't really want to go to sleep...
Apart from that, I don't know what the reason could be.
Do have any special settings in config.plist? Any special driver installed? I only installed the EmuVariableUefi-64, OsxAptioFixDrv-64 and PartitionDxe-64...

I can sleep wake with or without DSDT thats not a problem here

post your config.plist here please

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...