[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, chris1111 said:

Do you have Web Drivers installed?

This card card work without Web Drivers

No I haven't installed the Web Drivers. Like you say, the card worked without them oob.

8 minutes ago, Gaboro said:

No I haven't installed the Web Drivers. Like you say, the card worked without them oob.

Try this config  I delivered the same SMBIOS info that you had

EDIT ** You can remove the Hot plug patch and Atheros patch if you don't want

config.plist

Edited by chris1111

23 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Try this config  I delivered the same SMBIOS info that you had

EDIT ** You can remove the Hot plug patch and Atheros patch if you don't want

config.plist

Thanks, i tried it, but Clover showed me two apples like I had two installations. I booted the first one but it was kinda ...hm.. strange. iCloud reported an error with my user and forced to log on again. I have checked the SMBIOS data but it really lookes fine. Do you have an idea why i had suddenly two boot options?

4 minutes ago, Gaboro said:

Thanks, i tried it, but Clover showed me two apples like I had two installations. I booted the first one but it was kinda ...hm.. strange. iCloud reported an error with my user and forced to log on again. I have checked the SMBIOS data but it really lookes fine. Do you have an idea why i had suddenly two boot options?

one is Install HD other is Recovery HD?

35 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

one is Install HD other is Recovery HD?

Yeah, exactly, sorry for the stupid question. The recovery volume was hidden before.
I tried your config again and sleep and wake works now, thanks a lot :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Gaboro said:

Yeah, exactly, sorry for the stupid question. The recovery volume was hidden before.
I tried your config again and sleep and wake works now, thanks a lot :) 

Good  :wink_anim:

• Thanks 1

Guest ricoc90

DP 7 running fine on my 790.

Spoiler

5ab97c14a75f7_Schermafbeelding2018-03-27om00_30_35.png.6fe923e7a54ae0f2e3f801acf5317e24.png

It won't install on my 755 though, not sure why.
Deleted the install data, cleared nvram, re-downloading the update now ...

Edit: Nope, won't install.

An error occurred while extracting files from the package “macOSUpd10.13.4.pkg”
NSFilePath=/Volumes/Macintosh SSD/.PKInstallSandboxManager-SystemSoftware/BE532251-D324-4E77-9369-CCE971E4D4F6.activeSandbox/Root
NSURL=macOSUpd10.13.4.pkg -- file:///Volumes/Macintosh%20SSD/Library/Updates/AtomicUpdates/091-76096/
PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.13.4.17E197a
NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9b2c399ab0 {Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 "archive verify failed"

Will try clean install tomorrow.

Edited by ricoc90

Guest ricoc90

After 7 attempts of installing the update on the 755, it finally installed without problems. I still don't know for sure what the problem was, other than guessing that one way or the other the install data got corrupted.

Again, audio works without issues.

71N6JZ9.png

I also think about buying a Q9400 or a Q9550..
Do you have experience with it, is it that faster than E8400 that it's worth?
And do I have to reinstall everything or can I just replace the CPU?

2 minutes ago, Gaboro said:

Only change CPU is sufficient 

• Thanks 1

Guest ricoc90
38 minutes ago, Gaboro said:

Pricewise I don't think that it is worth; these processors still sell for an avarage of $45.
The Optiplex did get a little faster though, but I was coming from an E6550 :P

You don't need to reinstall, just replace the CPU and you're good.

5 hours ago, Gaboro said:

Q9550 - $32

Optiplex 790 i5 Core - $95

Worth an extra $30 for quad core upgrade? Just my opinion, no.

• Like 2

Guest ricoc90

10.13.4 release (17E199) is running fine on my 790. Did not update the 755 yet, since that one is unplugged ATM. Will do that tomorrow :)

MQWP0X7.png

Guest ricoc90

Ok so, a couple of days ago I had issues updating the 755 to DP7. After 7 attempts (read: removing the "/macOS Install Data/" folder and redownloading the update 7 times) the update finally went through. I assumed it was because of the data being corrupted one way or another.

Well, Yesterday I tried to update to 17E199 and the exact same thing happened; installation failed with the exact same reason: "archive verify failed"
So I just wiped the complete harddisk, hooked it up on USB, ran "startosinstall", boot.efi did not get copied over so it would not boot.

created a 16GB HFS+ partition, used "createmediainstall" to put the installer on that partition, booted it, first stage went fine but at second stage it fails again with "archive verify failed".

If I'd install macOS on that harddrive via the 790, then put the drive back in the 755 I'm sure it'll just run fine; but I'm wondering why the installation (either appstore update or fresh install) fails.

I'd say maybe it's my EFI

Guest ricoc90

So i removed nvram.plist, removed .IAProductInfo (or something like that) and rerun the installer.
The installer ran very, very slow. From booting the installer to finishment it took 3 hours (!), but at least it's installed now and works as it should.

Spoiler

FzJtFxp.png

I need to investigate this problem more, because I'm quite sure I'll run into this problem again once a new update is out.

Guest ricoc90

10.13.5 DB 1 installed without issues on the 790. Will update the 755 tomorrow or the day after tomorrow

OYzG3xe.png

Edited by ricoc90

Hi !

I tried your guide, HS Installer boot (after adding apfs.efi and few command on the terminal), but when I get to the macOS Utilities, It get stuck there, I can click the Continue button, but no matter which option I choose, it stuck at "macOS Utilities", nothing appear, Terminal won't open, neither Disk Utility or Safari.

What can I do about it ? It does the same thing with Sierra, I tried with different USB stick, but it does the same..

Dell Optiplex 780 SFF, latest BIOS, Core 2 Duo E8400, Radeon HD 5450 1GB, latest Clover EFI r4411, and latest macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 installer.

Thanks a lot :/

Edited by PandaStirling

Guest ricoc90
3 minutes ago, PandaStirling said:

Hi !

I tried your guide, HS Installer boot (after adding apfs.efi and few command on the terminal), but when I get to the macOS Utilities, It get stuck there, I can click the Continue button, but no matter which option I choose, it stuck at "macOS Utilities", nothing appear, Terminal won't open, neither Disk Utility or Safari.

What can I do about it ? It does the same thing with Sierra, I tried with different USB stick, but it does the same..

Dell Optiplex 780 SFF, latest BIOS, Core 2 Duo E8400, Radeon HD 5450 1GB, latest Clover EFI r4411, and latest macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 installer.

Thanks a lot :/

I used to have this issue too. What did it for me was going back to language chooser, select the language and then move forward from there.

I don't have the language chooser, it directly go to the macOS Utilities :/

But I'll reboot to the installer and see if there's a way I can go the language chooser

Edited by PandaStirling