AMD High Sierra Kernel Release and Testing

1,119 posts in this topic

I also tried the update to 10.13.4 on my backup system with the combo updater. Replaced the kernel and relinked kernel with Bronya's 17.0 version I'm perfectly using on my 10.13.3 system. It boots to blank screen (have ATI 6870 graphics).

Tried with Shanee's 17.4 kernel. Boots with graphics (very slow), but no USB at all so keyboard/mouse not working.

@Bronya I also really hope you can find the energy and your drive back to build a new kernel. I would thank you very much!

Edited by AntarcticP

I don't think this can be blamed on the distributors. After all, some people make money with all the documents we share with you.

For example, the Chinese person, this is the Chinese forum he released, the documents you bought to share is about 95 dollars.

see:https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-2608872766.4.667154e3qn20P6&id=559531581000

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, AntarcticP said:

I also tried the update to 10.13.4 on my backup system with the combo updater. Replaced the kernel and relinked kernel with Bronya's 17.0 version I'm perfectly using on my 10.13.3 system. It boots to blank screen (have ATI 6870 graphics).

Tried with Shanee's 17.4 kernel. Boots with graphics (very slow), but no USB at all so keyboard/mouse not working.

@Bronya I also really hope you can find the energy and your drive back to build a new kernel. I would thank you very much!

Try this for your no USB issue. Use USBinjectall.kext also

USB port limit patch 10.13.4.rtf

• Like 1

I went through this some time back with 13.4 betas.    The most stable is shanees 17.4 kernel.   

I first made copies of prelinked kernels for 13.4 from an intel system.    Then used bronyas kernel to boot into 13.4 with -s commands.

Once I was in 13.4 I replaced kernel with shaneees 17.4 and replaced prelinked kernel and removed the immutablekernel.   Then I ran kext wizard and or dcpimanager to rebuild caches.   I rebooted and used -s and followed prompts.    It works fairly well but I noted before along with JSL? That you can’t rebuild the prelinked kernel with “kext utility” or terminal because it ends up with a 0kb prelinked kernel.   

When you have the second boot finished with the Shanee kernel make copies of your kernel and prelinked as spares and store them on a working system in case anything goes wrong trying to fix new issues that arise.

Edited by Gigamaxx

As far as updating normally and building prelinkedkernel on current system it seems the kernel has changed in some way. Will need to wait on updated sources.

Edit:
So it is possible to update and build a new prelinkedkernel. What I did for my test partition was installed the Combo Update to the test drive from my main system. Tried prelinkedkernel and found it failed on kexts missing symbols. I rolled back a few kexts and it succeeded. If I remember correctly the kexts required were, AppleRTC.kext, AppleSMC.kext, AppleSMCRTC.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext

I don't recommend this which is why I'm not doing it on my main system and waiting for new kernel sources to test again. Just some info for you all ;)

Edited by Shaneee
Updated info
  • Like 3

I was able to boot into 10.13.4 by cloning my intel hack and replacing the kernel, prelinked and immutable kernel from my working 10.13.3 AMD hack. Also i rolled back the kexts Shaneee mentioned above and also added GenericUSB and DUMMYUSB kexts to S/L/E. I using Shaneees 17.4 kernel and it boots flawless. My only problem is i have no USB 2 or 3 functionality. So i have no keyboard and mouse to do anything lol. I do notice the clock is keeping normal time and the background is changing on time. So i guess its a start lol. Any ideas?  

23 minutes ago, tikizondo94 said:

I was able to boot into 10.13.4 by cloning my intel hack and replacing the kernel, prelinked and immutable kernel from my working 10.13.3 AMD hack. Also i rolled back the kexts Shaneee mentioned above and also added GenericUSB and DUMMYUSB kexts to S/L/E. I using Shaneees 17.4 kernel and it boots flawless. My only problem is i have no USB 2 or 3 functionality. So i have no keyboard and mouse to do anything lol. I do notice the clock is keeping normal time and the background is changing on time. So i guess its a start lol. Any ideas?  

Try removing GenericUSB I was able to do that on my GA board.

Good call guys! Rollback to IOUSBHostFamily did the trick. I have USB 2.0 now but still no 3.0 but im still messing around. System seems to work fine in all aspects for me. Ill keep you updated. Thanks Shaneee and Gigamaxx!

3 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

Try removing GenericUSB I was able to do that on my GA board.

Without GenericUSB, USB3.1 does not work.  Could you post your ioreg dump?

PTXH@00000000: AppleUSBXHCIPCI::createPorts: port 1 unsupported protocol USB  03.10

PTXH@00000000: AppleUSBXHCIPCI::createPorts: failed to allocate port 1

13 minutes ago, ydeng said:

Without GenericUSB, USB3.1 does not work.  Could you post your ioreg dump?

PTXH@00000000: AppleUSBXHCIPCI::createPorts: port 1 unsupported protocol USB  03.10

PTXH@00000000: AppleUSBXHCIPCI::createPorts: failed to allocate port 1

I’m loading the 13.4 final now I have been using the betas up to 13.4 version 7.    What I find with generic usb for me is that it doesn’t show support in about this mac.    Others report it working fine.    I don’t use usb 3.1 for anything I only use 2.0 and 3.0 ports for keyboard and accessories.    However on different mobos I have had to use it in the past to get the ports working.    

3 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

I’m loading the 13.4 final now I have been using the betas up to 13.4 version 7.    What I find with generic usb for me is that it doesn’t show support in about this mac.    Others report it working fine.    I don’t use usb 3.1 for anything I only use 2.0 and 3.0 ports for keyboard and accessories.    However on different mobos I have had to use it in the past to get the ports working.    

Yeah mine dosent show anything in system report under USB section. But my 2.0 and 3.0 both are working normally. Front and rear ports.. 

14 minutes ago, tikizondo94 said:

Yeah mine dosent show anything in system report under USB section. But my 2.0 and 3.0 both are working normally. Front and rear ports.. 

Can you hot plug, or do you need the cables connected during boot for them to work?   

19 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

To get them showing in System Info you need to replace SPUSBReporter.spreporter within /System/Library/SystemProfiler/

Screenshot 2018-04-02 20.19.23.png

3 minutes ago, Shaneee said:

To get them showing in System Info you need to replace SPUSBReporter.spreporter within /System/Library/SystemProfiler/

Screenshot 2018-04-02 20.19.23.png

Roll back SPUSB from 10.13.3 and replace? 

1 hour ago, Shaneee said:

Not 100% sure on the version but I'm sure it's from Yosemite,

SPUSBReporter.spreporter.zip

Worked perfect! All is working flawless. Havent messed with sleep or wake, but i never expect to much on the AMD side with that. Shutdown is hit or miss but the system itself seems stable. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 4.46.03 PM.png

• Like 2

On 3/31/2018 at 10:40 PM, Shaneee said:

As far as updating normally and building prelinkedkernel on current system it seems the kernel has changed in some way. Will need to wait on updated sources.

Edit:
So it is possible to update and build a new prelinkedkernel. What I did for my test partition was installed the Combo Update to the test drive from my main system. Tried prelinkedkernel and found it failed on kexts missing symbols. I rolled back a few kexts and it succeeded. If I remember correctly the kexts required were, AppleRTC.kext, AppleSMC.kext, AppleSMCRTC.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext

I don't recommend this which is why I'm not doing it on my main system and waiting for new kernel sources to test again. Just some info for you all ;)

Hi Shaneee

I've checked the versions/dates/size of the kexts you mentioned, but they are all the same from 10.13.3 to 10.13.4. So I don't think it is necessary to roll them back. I tested this on my test partition which I updated to 10.13.4 and same result as before. With your 17.4 kernel it does boot to login screen, but still need to solve the USB problem (thnx @tikizondo94).

58 minutes ago, AntarcticP said:

Hi Shaneee

I've checked the versions/dates/size of the kexts you mentioned, but they are all the same from 10.13.3 to 10.13.4. So I don't think it is necessary to roll them back. I tested this on my test partition which I updated to 10.13.4 and same result as before. With your 17.4 kernel it does boot to login screen, but still need to solve the USB problem (thnx @tikizondo94).

And the prelinkedkernel built? It wouldn't build on my test drive without these replacements. I copied one at a time rebuilding the prelinkedkernel each time.