AMD High Sierra Kernel Release and Testing

1,119 posts in this topic

The kext will only be loaded if it's present in the EFI kext folder, S/L/E or if it was present in S/L/E when the prelinkedkernel was generated.

Also if you and @jsl could give this kernel a go, Thanks.

Thanks for this new kernel which made no difference from previous one in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh at 10.13.4 DB2:

If booted by bootable prelinkedkernel which can boot to desktop at 10.13.4 DB2 with the same issues as before.

If booted by non-bootable prelinkedkernel which always hanged at the same process as before.

If booted by Enoch with -f, it got reboot as Gigamaxx reported on the above.

• Like 1

The initial boot works great but then the system seems to detect the CPU as non Intel and it wont reboot.   Its like windows detecting system hardware changes like GPUs or wifi and then loading drivers as needed but since our CPUs are non Apple hardware they get flagged?    Its very odd this 13.4 version.

The initial boot works great but then the system seems to detect the CPU as non Intel and it wont reboot.   Its like windows detecting system hardware changes like GPUs or wifi and then loading drivers as needed but since our CPUs are non Apple hardware they get flagged?    Its very odd this 13.4 version.

Try this

find / -name IntelCPUMonitor

Looks like the complaint comes from here:

https://github.com/warexify/HWSensors3/blob/master/plugins/CPUSensors/IntelCPUMonitor/IntelCPUMonitor.cpp#L164

• Like 1

Try this

find / -name IntelCPUMonitor

Looks like the complaint comes from here:

https://github.com/warexify/HWSensors3/blob/master/plugins/CPUSensors/IntelCPUMonitor/IntelCPUMonitor.cpp#L164

OK this is 13.3 and I did the search ( error -name).   I removed the -name and it scrolled through the system.  see pic.

post-1753549-0-10536600-1518417392_thumb.png

I will now install 13.4 beta and run the command and report back.

Success!   I finally got it!   well one reboot at least without verbose just the progress bar, yeeeesss!

No IntelCPUMonitor error, anymore.    I loaded a fresh install of 13.3 without signing in with Apple ID on my Pentium rig and caught it at the last boot.   When the "Install" tag in clover disappears ( HS has 3 boot cycles for install).   I shut down the computer and added these kernels ( 13.3 attached) and then booted using my Ryzen system and used -s -v don't reboot, keep symbols and debug kexts @ root# (mount -uw, fsck -fy, exit) low and behold it booted to black screen and then I rebooted normally and it logged in to Log in screen.   I chose not to enter Apple ID.   I ran kext wizard and DCPIManager "caches" rebuild because like jsl I was getting 0mb prelinked kernel issue when using 'Kext Utility" app.   It kills your kernels for Ryzen.

I then loaded the beta utility and after install on Rysen and shut down with 8 min loading of software at the reboot I shut it off and connected disk to the Pentium rig to pass through the 2 loadings of the beta update.   I watched for the "install" icon to disappear and at the 3rd reboot I shut it down and booted using my pentium drive and connected via USB to Sata cable and placed these kernels (see attachment 13.3).   -s -v don't reboot, keep symbols, and debug kexts again @ root# mount-uw, fsck -fy, exit..    A lot of red, lots of red.   It booted into log in screen and then I ran kext wizard and DCPImanger caches rebuild.   ran some tests and everything was good, crossed my fingers and rebooted without verbose and now I'm writing from the second boot.    I'll do a few more reboots to make certain its stable.

Thanks Shaneee for the new kernel I'm went with the 13.2mb version or your first release, but will try adding the latest later.   WiFi is good and everything else seems to work with no crashes.

Give these a try @jsl hope they finally work for you.

kernels hs 13.3 .zip

These are my final kernels folder after rebuild in 13.4.

13.4 beta 2 kernels Ryzen.zip

Update:  6 reboots no problems, another thing to mention is I used HFS+ instead of APFS mode for this. Thanks Ydeng I think this may have been a part of the problem with apfs and the auto files tranfer with sign in.    I also started with a fresh prelinked kernel and worked it very slowly to progress it to boot-ability.    Its cleaner than the other but still has some kext loading error messages during boot but it works for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Success!   I finally got it!   well one reboot at least without verbose just the progress bar, yeeeesss!

No IntelCPUMonitor error, anymore.    I loaded a fresh install of 13.3 without signing in with Apple ID on my Pentium rig and caught it at the last boot.   When the "Install" tag in clover disappears ( HS has 3 boot cycles for install).   I shut down the computer and added these kernels ( 13.3 attached) and then booted using my Ryzen system and used -s -v don't reboot, keep symbols and debug kexts @ root# (mount -uw, fsck -fy, exit) low and behold it booted to black screen and then I rebooted normally and it logged in to Log in screen.   I chose not to enter Apple ID.   I ran kext wizard and DCPIManager "caches" rebuild because like jsl I was getting 0mb prelinked kernel issue when using 'Kext Utility" app.   It kills your kernels for Ryzen.

I then loaded the beta utility and after install on Rysen and shut down with 8 min loading of software at the reboot I shut it off and connected disk to the Pentium rig to pass through the 2 loadings of the beta update.   I watched for the "install" icon to disappear and at the 3rd reboot I shut it down and booted using my pentium drive and connected via USB to Sata cable and placed these kernels (see attachment 13.3).   -s -v don't reboot, keep symbols, and debug kexts again @ root# mount-uw, fsck -fy, exit..    A lot of red, lots of red.   It booted into log in screen and then I ran kext wizard and DCPImanger caches rebuild.   ran some tests and everything was good, crossed my fingers and rebooted without verbose and now I'm writing from the second boot.    I'll do a few more reboots to make certain its stable.

Thanks Shaneee for the new kernel I'm went with the 13.2mb version or your first release, but will try adding the latest later.   WiFi is good and everything else seems to work with no crashes.

Give these a try @jsl hope they finally work for you.

attachicon.gifkernels hs 13.3 .zip

These are my final kernels folder after rebuild in 13.4.

attachicon.gif13.4 beta 2 kernels Ryzen.zip

Update:  6 reboots no problems, another thing to mention is I used HFS+ instead of APFS mode for this. Thanks Ydeng I think this may have been a part of the problem with apfs and the auto files tranfer with sign in.    I also started with a fresh prelinked kernel and worked it very slowly to progress it to boot-ability.    Its cleaner than the other but still has some kext loading error messages during boot but it works for me.

Thanks for these 2 kernels:

Both worked at 10.13.3 & 10.13.4 DB2 in my FX-6300 hackintosh without issue.

This is the first time at 10.13.4 DB2 "uname -a" showed Shaneee's kernel was used instead of Bronya's one and both Firefox & Safari worked too !

Unfortunately Shaneee's kernel got invalid kernel opcode errors at both 10.13.3 and 10.13.4 DB2 in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh as before.

Bronya's kernel can boot to desktop at 10.13.3 without issue, but at 10.13.4 DB2 only Google Chrome worked in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh.

That means Shaneee's kernel need fix or optimalization for my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh.

Gigamaxx:

Thanks again !

Can you show me how to rebuild prelinkedkernel correctly at 10.13.4 ?

Because I found (1) Kext Utility (2) Kext Wizard (3) DPCIManager (4) KCPM Utility Pro (5) Terminal : sudo kextcache -Boot -U / all failed to rebuild successfully.

Thanks for these 2 kernels:

Both worked at 10.13.3 & 10.13.4 DB2 in my FX-6300 hackintosh without issue.

This is the first time at 10.13.4 DB2 "uname -a" showed Shaneee's kernel was used instead of Bronya's one and both Firefox & Safari worked too !

Unfortunately Shaneee's kernel got invalid kernel opcode errors at both 10.13.3 and 10.13.4 DB2 in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh as before.

Bronya's kernel can boot to desktop at 10.13.3 without issue, but at 10.13.4 DB2 only Google Chrome worked in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh.

That means Shaneee's kernel need fix or optimalization for my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh.

Gigamaxx:

Thanks again !

Can you show me how to rebuild prelinkedkernel correctly at 10.13.4 ?

Because I found (1) Kext Utility (2) Kext Wizard (3) DPCIManager (4) KCPM Utility Pro (5) Terminal : sudo kextcache -Boot -U / all failed to rebuild successfully.

Check ou the pic.   There are 3 prelinked kernels the first it 14.6mb the Bronya linked one with his kernel.   I used that to get started then switch to Shaneee kernel ran -s and then replaced the prelinked again and rebooted into 13.3.   eventually I ended up with the 42mb version shown.   I replied it in 13.4 with the 14.6mb version and then ended up with 14.5mb in 13.4.   

Try the first prelinked kernel and rebuild with kext wizard and DCPIMan.   See what you come up with.    Or try one of the 2 14.X prelinked kernels but don't used the 42mb version it obviously is corrupted or is a double agent.    I need to remove that one.

post-1753549-0-91355200-1518534504_thumb.png

• Like 1

Check ou the pic.   There are 3 prelinked kernels the first it 14.6mb the Bronya linked one with his kernel.   I used that to get started then switch to Shaneee kernel ran -s and then replaced the prelinked again and rebooted into 13.3.   eventually I ended up with the 42mb version shown.   I replied it in 13.4 with the 14.6mb version and then ended up with 14.5mb in 13.4.   

Try the first prelinked kernel and rebuild with kext wizard and DCPIMan.   See what you come up with.    Or try one of the 2 14.X prelinked kernels but don't used the 42mb version it obviously is corrupted or is a double agent.    I need to remove that one.

attachicon.gifKernels pic.png

Thanks again for your prompt reply and help.

The problem of my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh at 10.13.3 and 10.13.4 is the same: unable to boot with Shaneee's kernel due to too many invalid kernel opcode (64-bit).......

There is no such a problem in FX-6300 hackintosh.

Can you share your working Clover's config.plist & kexts/Other or org.chameleon.Boot.plist/kernel.plist/kext.plist to me for reference to debug ?

• Like 1

Thanks again for your prompt reply and help.

The problem of my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh at 10.13.3 and 10.13.4 is the same: unable to boot with Shaneee's kernel due to too many invalid kernel opcode (64-bit).......

There is no such a problem in FX-6300 hackintosh.

Can you share your working Clover's config.plist & kexts/Other or org.chameleon.Boot.plist/kernel.plist/kext.plist to me for reference to debug ?

Try as I did starting with Bronya kernel then add Shaneees and then come up with a prelinked kernel that works.

• Like 1

@Shaneee, the latest kernel (2/11/18) works as well and performance seems to be pretty good.  I just did a straight replace and ran kext wizard and it has booted over and over again no problems.

Geekbench CPU tests are really awesome, the scale is very reflective of the CPU frequency settings low 3.0GHz scores low Single thread and low Multi thread and when increasing the frequency both scores rise.   I remember last year with Sierra and Rysen kernel testing the higher the frequency the Single core scores began to degrade past 3.4GHz but now they are both rising together up to 3.6GHz.    I can not get to 3.7Ghz however, it will boot but it goes to black screen.   Is there a range in the kernel for that?   2.9-4.5GHz?

post-1753549-0-49541000-1518570866_thumb.pngpost-1753549-0-90792200-1518570887_thumb.pngpost-1753549-0-69854800-1518570905_thumb.png

Another thing I have  noticed is that I no longer have to set busratio=xx to get audio at any frequency setting for the CPU.   This was required before in order to get working audio without choppy cutting in and out or out of synch sound and garbled scratchy noise.   I have the frequency set to 3.6GHz and no busratio-xx boot arg and its fine, I also tested with CPU Auto setting 3.0GHz and that works as well with no busratio=xx.    Really cool for overclockers and testing, just one less setting to worry about in clover.   I will run more Geekbench CPU tests without busratio to test as well and report back if they don't work.

Cosmetics, the 16 cores is still there versus 8 cores 16 threads, in Geekbench, I will test other apps to see if they are the same.   

Update:   Uningine Heaven shows 8 cores 16 threads, Uningine Valley starts but crashes after first scene.    Cinebench shows 16 cores but look at that score @3.6GHz.

post-1753549-0-16221000-1518577173_thumb.pngpost-1753549-0-28706500-1518577200_thumb.png

Thanks buddy, this is cool and running stable and I got wifi without issues, no cutting out or signal drop.   Great job!   

• Like 2

Try as I did starting with Bronya kernel then add Shaneees and then come up with a prelinked kernel that works.

Followed your instruction still got prelinkedkernel failed (always file size Zero bytes) at 10.13.4 DB2.

• Like 1

Followed your instruction still got prelinkedkernel failed (always file size Zero bytes) at 10.13.4 DB2.

Try this, use bronya kernel and the original 13.3 prelinkedkernel and do the -s -v debug etc.. until it works.   Then replace with Shanee kernel and repeat until it works.   After that replace the prelinked again but save the old one in case. and see if you can get it to work.   Then try 13.4 with Shaneee kernel and fixed prelinked kernel and -s -v etc...

It took me all weekend to get it right and I reloaded fresh installs a few time until crash and corruption.   I spent at least 6 hours getting the kernels worked out o the last final attempt and got it.   I only used kext wizard, and dcpimanger to do a soft rebuild but the main rebuilds came from repeated -s, -v etc.. attempts over and over until it scrolled.    Most attempts were ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++. nada, ++++++++++++++++++++++++ nothing, +++++++++++++++++ nada, +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ nothing, ---- does not print etc...  Lol.

Maybe using the last files I made will work for you if you keep trying -s -v etc... with different kernels.

• Like 1

Try this, use bronya kernel and the original 13.3 prelinkedkernel and do the -s -v debug etc.. until it works.   Then replace with Shanee kernel and repeat until it works.   After that replace the prelinked again but save the old one in case. and see if you can get it to work.   Then try 13.4 with Shaneee kernel and fixed prelinked kernel and -s -v etc...

It took me all weekend to get it right and I reloaded fresh installs a few time until crash and corruption.   I spent at least 6 hours getting the kernels worked out o the last final attempt and got it.   I only used kext wizard, and dcpimanger to do a soft rebuild but the main rebuilds came from repeated -s, -v etc.. attempts over and over until it scrolled.    Most attempts were ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++. nada, ++++++++++++++++++++++++ nothing, +++++++++++++++++ nada, +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ nothing, ---- does not print etc...  Lol.

Maybe using the last files I made will work for you if you keep trying -s -v etc... with different kernels.

Thanks for your prompt reply and kind help !

Although I can not rebuild prelinkedkernel successfully at 10.13.4 DB2 yet, applied your config.plist & kexts/Other making Ryzen 1700X hackintosh working at both 10.13.3 &10.13.4 DB2 now !

In order to prevent booting errors with invalid kernel opcode (64-bit): .....,

I must always booted at first with "-s", then "exit" working eventually.

Do you think it's a bug of Shaneee's kernel or EFI Clover bootloader ?

I'll keep trying and report later.

• Like 1

I think its the kernel, the 17.5 kernel is 15.7mb and Shaneee's is #17.4 is 13.3mb.   They haven't released the code for 17.5 yet and probably won't until 17.6 is out ,lol.    Its also getting very tricky to use, 13.4 kernel structure and support acts very differently than the older versions.   we both have the issue of kext utility leaving us with a 0kb prelinked kernel.   That utility is ranked very highly for OSX but for us it seems to corrupt and dissolve our pre kernels.   kext wizard doesn't leave a time stamp so you can't tell if its actually working or not.   This has been a challenge to get working but hopefully it will get easier with the public release.    It seems like HS 13.4 wants to be windows 10 and diagnose and control every piece of hardware on the PC.    At least for us AMD users.

Are you using apfs or HFS+ Journaled?   I went HFS+J this time which probably helped.

@ Shaneee AMD releases zen details. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjz7Iyg16TZAhVFy2MKHWcBCw8QqQIIKSgAMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwccftech.com%2Famd-zeppelin-soc-isscc-detailed-7nm-epyc-64-cores-rumor%2F&usg=AOvVaw0bN-hM3KKi9fA2Vx0yhk7i

• Like 1

I think its the kernel, the 17.5 kernel is 15.7mb and Shaneee's is #17.4 is 13.3mb.   They haven't released the code for 17.5 yet and probably won't until 17.6 is out ,lol.    Its also getting very tricky to use, 13.4 kernel structure and support acts very differently than the older versions.   we both have the issue of kext utility leaving us with a 0kb prelinked kernel.   That utility is ranked very highly for OSX but for us it seems to corrupt and dissolve our pre kernels.   kext wizard doesn't leave a time stamp so you can't tell if its actually working or not.   This has been a challenge to get working but hopefully it will get easier with the public release.    It seems like HS 13.4 wants to be windows 10 and diagnose and control every piece of hardware on the PC.    At least for us AMD users.

Are you using apfs or HFS+ Journaled?   I went HFS+J this time which probably helped.

@ Shaneee AMD releases zen details. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjz7Iyg16TZAhVFy2MKHWcBCw8QqQIIKSgAMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwccftech.com%2Famd-zeppelin-soc-isscc-detailed-7nm-epyc-64-cores-rumor%2F&usg=AOvVaw0bN-hM3KKi9fA2Vx0yhk7i

In AMD hackintosh I only use HFS+ Journaled.

In Z97/Z87 Intel hackintosh I had tried apfs, but not my favorite because of poor performance and not so user friendly.

Unfortunately up to now only Shaneee's 10.13.3 kernel worked at 10.13.4 DB2 & 10.13.3 in my FX-6300 & Ryzen 1700X hackintosh.

Not working by replaced with Shaneee's 10.13.4 kernel method yet !

I just repeated the process using 13.4 in apfs mode no problems so far, it reboots.   I did not sign in to Apple store during loading process.

New updated procedure:   Install High Sierra 13.3 on Intel system, add Bronya's kernel ( otherwise not easy to rebuild prelinked kernel) run kext wizard.    turn off Intel system and boot using risen or AMD system.   At boot hit space bar and select Verbose, Single user, don't reboot on panic, keep symbols, and debug kexts.   At root# type in "mount -uw" (without "" marks on all of these examples), at 2nd root# "fsck -fy", at 3rd root# "exit".   It should scroll for awhile and then either boot or shut down or reboot.   try a normal boot after this, if it doesn't work retry -v, -s etc again.

Step 1 Bronya kernel for 13.3.zip 

Once in use the beta package and do App Store update wait for the download to finish and the system will go to black screen (shut off) but wait for the 8 minutes software loading and then it will shut down again.   After it reboots and you see Bios screen shut down system and place disk in Intel system.

boot into Intel system ( change clover settings as needed ).Allow the updates to go through the 2-3 cycles until you no longer see the "Install' option or icon in clover boot loader screen.   Shut down system and boot using an Intel drive and edit or replace the kernel and relinked kernel with the attached folder 13.4.   run kext wizard and then shut down system.

Place disk in risen or AMD system and boot at clover screen hit space bar once and follow the above sequence again -v -s etc..   It should boot or go to reset mode.  Mine booted right into the loading screen with Analytics, privacy settings and options they system setup etc..   Once in run kext wizard again and then test reboot and see if you have a solid configuration.  

Step 2 kertnels and Pre kernels for 13.4.zip

• Like 1

I just repeated the process using 13.4 in apfs mode no problems so far, it reboots.   I did not sign in to Apple store during loading process.

New updated procedure:   Install High Sierra 13.3 on Intel system, add Bronya's kernel ( otherwise not easy to rebuild prelinked kernel) run kext wizard.    turn off Intel system and boot using risen or AMD system.   At boot hit space bar and select Verbose, Single user, don't reboot on panic, keep symbols, and debug kexts.   At root# type in "mount -uw" (without "" marks on all of these examples), at 2nd root# "fsck -fy", at 3rd root# "exit".   It should scroll for awhile and then either boot or shut down or reboot.   try a normal boot after this, if it doesn't work retry -v, -s etc again.

attachicon.gifStep 1 Bronya kernel for 13.3.zip

Once in use the beta package and do App Store update wait for the download to finish and the system will go to black screen (shut off) but wait for the 8 minutes software loading and then it will shut down again.   After it reboots and you see Bios screen shut down system and place disk in Intel system.

boot into Intel system ( change clover settings as needed ).Allow the updates to go through the 2-3 cycles until you no longer see the "Install' option or icon in clover boot loader screen.   Shut down system and boot using an Intel drive and edit or replace the kernel and relinked kernel with the attached folder 13.4.   run kext wizard and then shut down system.

Place disk in risen or AMD system and boot at clover screen hit space bar once and follow the above sequence again -v -s etc..   It should boot or go to reset mode.  Mine booted right into the loading screen with Analytics, privacy settings and options they system setup etc..   Once in run kext wizard again and then test reboot and see if you have a solid configuration.  

attachicon.gifStep 2 kertnels and Pre kernels for 13.4.zip

Thanks for your continued support.

It can boot to desktop at 10.13.4 DB2 in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh with "-s" & "exit".

Without that procedures it still get invalid kernel opcodes in my Ryzen hackintosh.

It can not rebuild prelinkedkernel properly yet at 10.13.4 DB2 !

[Edit]

The above procedures are still need to boot10.13.4 beta 3 (17E160e) in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh !

• Like 1

Thanks for your continued support.

It can boot to desktop at 10.13.4 DB2 in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh with "-s" & "exit".

Without that procedures it still get invalid kernel opcodes in my Ryzen hackintosh.

It can not rebuild prelinkedkernel properly yet at 10.13.4 DB2 !

Have you tried just -v (verbose mode)?

Is anyone noticing shutdown and restart issues with Shaneees 10.13.3 Kernel? Everything runs flawless in the OS. But i cannot restart or shutdown without using the physical power button. Any advice? 

I noticed you have:   1).   ACPI patched ACPI.aml.  do you need that?    Maybe try without.

2).   I changed optiofix for optiofix2 in drivers64uefi folder.      3).   kexts/Other folder has a lot of fixes, try removing everything but the essentials and Nvidia fixes.

Try it first with the aptio2 driver fix and then move on to other fixes and see what you can eliminate.

CLOVER.zip

post-1753549-0-64914800-1518709965_thumb.png

• Like 1

I noticed you have: 1). ACPI patched ACPI.aml. do you need that? Maybe try without.

2). I changed optiofix for optiofix2 in drivers64uefi folder. 3). kexts/Other folder has a lot of fixes, try removing everything but the essentials and Nvidia fixes.

Try it first with the aptio2 driver fix and then move on to other fixes and see what you can eliminate.

I'll give it a shot when I get home. Much appreciated! So what is the main difference between fixdrv and fixdrv2? And I see there's fixdrv3 now in the latest clover.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I noticed you have:   1).   ACPI patched ACPI.aml.  do you need that?    Maybe try without.

2).   I changed optiofix for optiofix2 in drivers64uefi folder.      3).   kexts/Other folder has a lot of fixes, try removing everything but the essentials and Nvidia fixes.

Removed APCI.aml from clover/patched and removed some HW sensor kexts from clover also. Just using the mandatory kexts for my system. I for some reason still cannot shutdown or reboot without the physical button. System still runs and boots fine with the new additions to clover/drivers. Any other ideas?