[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

That must be a little bit unlucky... Anyway your method is still working, which makes something at least not worse. :)

The update notification doesn't really matter that much, I was just reporting something that I thought was fixed ;) and there's always more than one solution to solve a problem :)

Thanks to you and all the hard working people of this great community :)

• Like 3

I can confirm that the "failure to update firmware" error in the latest high Sierra beta installation is due to having a Samsung 950 m.2 NVME drive connected during installation. Using Clover 4178, the only way for the installation to proceed on my Skylake z170 rig is to remove the m.2 drive.

This is a pretty radical departure from the experience of the earlier high Sierra betas, and seems to preclude the clean installation of high Sierra beta 6 directly to the NVME drive. I've been using an external SSD to install high Sierra so this isn't a show stopper, but Apple's latest beta is quite buggy.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the "failure to update firmware" error in the latest high Sierra beta installation is due to having a Samsung 950 m.2 NVME drive connected during installation. Using Clover 4178, the only way for the installation to proceed on my Skylake z170 rig is to remove the m.2 drive.

the same with SSD

the same with SSD

For me having sata ssds connected during installation is not the problem. M.2 however breaks the installation process on this beta. Seems that the installation process is in three phases.

1) initial boot from USB installation drive and copy installation files to destination disk;

2) reboot and do some checks and try to update firmware (this is where it hangs on my system if m.2 NVME is connected);

3) reboot and complete installation.

What I've noticed is that I can remove my m.2 to allow step 2 to complete, then reinsert my m.2 for step 3.

So seems to me that the installation code can be edited/hacked to make sure step 2 doesn't fail on a hackintosh with a m.2 installed.

• Like 1

This is a pretty radical departure from the experience of the earlier high Sierra betas, and seems to preclude the clean installation of high Sierra beta 6 directly to the NVME drive. I've been using an external SSD to install high Sierra so this isn't a show stopper, but Apple's latest beta is quite buggy.

Installation of HS beta 6 on 960 EVO m.2 on a Asrock Z97 Pro4 went smooth on my build. But that said, I never encounterd the firmware update error.

I tried using only FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller.  No change.  I did notice some difference when I used the iMac13,1 SMBIOS and did not inject EDID.  It still hung but it did not get stuck in a loop.  I'm thinking that I might try looking into the EDID issue.  However, with MPB9,2, it didn't matter if I injected EDID or not, it still got stuck in a loop and graphics never loaded.

And lastly, I have Clover installed in the ESP but it is a legacy boot, not UEFI.

Clover ESP

good

Just waiting for NV driver...

Just waiting for NV Driver... but all the rest ok! :yes:

Okay. Checked it.

I recommend this list on your setting.

Remove QPI value 100

Put 100,000 in bus frequency on config

QPI is for only Nehalem series

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

Once again a big hand for everyone who has been involved, and made this fantastic hack available!! 

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 AMD Fury STILL working fine.

I have been using since the beginning of WhatEverGreen.Kext when it was released!

Sleep mode, and everything else is working as it should be,Yeah!

However, any word about And Fury support for High Sierra?

Its booting fine, but there is no metal support and acceleration.

it's very strange that  AMD9300Controller.kext (which have all ready Fury support 0x73001002) is loading, but actually do nothing to act!

Have tried all ready ForceKextsToLoad 9300.kext and also AMDRadeonX4150.kext, AMDRadeonX4200.kext and AMDRadeonX4250.kext 7300 buffin modification with no luck!

Any clue to start digging at!

Or whether we have to wait for future HS releases for any support Fury?

today I installed fresh HS DP6 on L502X and tested it.

I will improve clover for better support high Sierra.

스크린샷 2017-08-19 오전 1.25.11.png

Thanks for your contributions so users like myself and many others can benefit. I wonder why some systems have firmware error and others don't. On my system, the "cannot update firmware error" on beta6 isn't related to clover's FF or FFM, but rather having a NVME drive connected during installation. Weird.
  • Like 1

@dehjomz - I was also having the "an error occurred while updating firmware" problem with dp6. Your post made me think that disabling my m.2 drive in my BIOS might get me past this error. It didn't, but then I tried disabling all my SSDs in my Asus Z170 BIOS, and I was able to get past the firmware error, and High Sierra dp6 is currently installing with no problems :)

I'm installing dp6 on a Sandisk 64GB flash drive, so was able to do this, but it means you don't have to remove your SSDs - just disable them in your BIOS if you have one like Asus that lets you do this. Now, I suppose the next thing to test is which SSD is causing the firmware error. Is it my hackintosh drive or a different one (I have 4 SSDs in my system)?

• Like 1

eaec21cab187d075be894ec0b2034967.jpg well on beta 6 now had to use beta 5 install then update to beta 6 1 hour of work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can your hackintosh wake up from s3 sleep without blank screen at 10.12.6 and 10.13.beta6 ?

Because it was a common issue for AMD GPU higher than Radeon HD 6xxx series in the past.

• Like 1

Can your hackintosh wake up from s3 sleep without blank screen at 10.12.6 and 10.13.beta6 ?

Because it was a common issue for AMD GPU higher than Radeon HD 6xxx series in the past.

wake works everything in my hack works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dehjomz - I was also having the "an error occurred while updating firmware" problem with dp6. Your post made me think that disabling my m.2 drive in my BIOS might get me past this error. It didn't, but then I tried disabling all my SSDs in my Asus Z170 BIOS, and I was able to get past the firmware error, and High Sierra dp6 is currently installing with no problems :)

I'm installing dp6 on a Sandisk 64GB flash drive, so was able to do this, but it means you don't have to remove your SSDs - just disable them in your BIOS if you have one like Asus that lets you do this. Now, I suppose the next thing to test is which SSD is causing the firmware error. Is it my hackintosh drive or a different one (I have 4 SSDs in my system)?

Can you not clone the install from your flash drive to one of your SSDs?

I can definitely confirm that disabeling all NVMes, SSDs and HDDs except the target drive to be updated ot clean installed definitely solves the "an error occurred while updating firmware" problem! Finally there is a very simple and straight solution to circumvent this annoying problem! Thanks man for this great advice!!!!

Cheers,

KGP

• Like 1

Can you not clone the install from your flash drive to one of your SSDs?

Hi, no need - my flash drive is just for testing out High Sierra. Once the final version of this OS gets released, I will upgrade my main hackintosh SSD drive (which has all my apps & files on it) with everything I've learnt from the beta. I suppose I could clone but this system has worked for me so far :)

@KGP-X99 - I'm glad to hear it worked for you too. I thought there might be another solution to this, as I spent too long making sure my smbios was right, and my installation was still failing. Hopefully, someone can go on and find a better workaround than having to disable drives in the BIOS, and find out why having some SSDs enabled causes this error?

Hi guys and gals! I need some help!

Ever since the last two public betas of high sierra, the 'nv_disable=1' bootflag fails to force my discrete nvidia card to boot into VESA mode. 

This is problematic because I'm using the iMAC 17,1 SMBIOS profile (I have Skylake), and as we know, this SMBIOS has the infamous 'black screen' issue on vanilla graphics kexts. 

My historical solution to fix the 'black screen' issue has been to:
1) update/install OS
2) nv_disable=1 to force VESA mode
3) run AGDPFIX to patch AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext to remove the 'black screen' issue
4) reboot without nv_disable=1.

However, ever since public beta 4 and now 5, the nv_disable=1 step fails to force VESA mode on my nvidia card.  (Note: Until nVidia releases High Sierra webdrivers for my Pascal Card, I'm using an old Geforce 660 TI which has native drivers built into High Sierra).  Now, what happens is by using nv_disable=1, the window server fails to load, and there's this "loop of death" where the system hangs at gIOScreenLockState. It tries to load the window server, but it fails endlessly.

So the question becomes:
1) is there a way to patch AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext to remove the black screen issue without needing to boot into the GUI and running AGDPFIX?  For example patch the kext from single user mode?
2) another solution to the black screen issue on a 17,1 profile? (e.g., lilu + NvidiaGraphicsFixup) 

My temporary workaround is to have two separate config.plist files; the main 17,1 iMac profile, and another for iMac 14,2 profile which doesn't have the 'black screen' issue.  Using the 14,2 config.plist (for the 14,2 SMBIOS), I can boot into the window server, run AGDPFIX and then reboot into the 17,1 profile.  This is less than ideal...

Any thoughts would be very helpful!

You need to use lilu + NvidiaGraphicsFixup

• Like 1