[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

@dehjomz - I was also having the "an error occurred while updating firmware" problem with dp6. Your post made me think that disabling my m.2 drive in my BIOS might get me past this error. It didn't, but then I tried disabling all my SSDs in my Asus Z170 BIOS, and I was able to get past the firmware error, and High Sierra dp6 is currently installing with no problems :)

I'm installing dp6 on a Sandisk 64GB flash drive, so was able to do this, but it means you don't have to remove your SSDs - just disable them in your BIOS if you have one like Asus that lets you do this. Now, I suppose the next thing to test is which SSD is causing the firmware error. Is it my hackintosh drive or a different one (I have 4 SSDs in my system)?

A while back I made a post and I was facing somewhat a similar problem as you do now (There was a Firmware verification failure and after that there was an error regarding the OSInstall.mpkg error)

There are few reasons for why you get that error.

1. You have EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi installed with the clover efi bootloader in one or more hard disks

and/or

2. You have nvram.plist placed on the root of the EFI partition which is another reason for that error

3. Your SMBIOS data is out dated

4. You might not have using the correct Firmware Feature and Firmware Feature Mask values

To avoid the "an error occurred while updating firmware" make sure that you are using the latest version of Clover which is r4178 at the moment (Using Build_Clover 4.5.3.command) and the official release version of Clover is r4173 at sourceforge.net

So here's what I suggest:

1. Use the latest BIOS Version, BIOS Released Date for your hack's SMBIOS (Clover Configurator can automatically provide that information.)

2. Do not use the EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi on your USB Installer the Installer doesn't need it anyway and you can add it later once you installed macOS High Sierra.

3. Make sure you have the correct FF and FFM implemented in your SMBIOS (Clover will automatically determines those values if they are not provided by the SMBIOS)

and finally I suggest that avoid using APFS on your flash drive, I did the same thing with mine and it got damaged.

• Like 1

Clover ESP

good

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is related to my ig platform id.  I know that Clover fills it in automatically, but what it is filling in is not working.  I need to try another.  What ig platform id do you use?

EDIT:  2 hours later, I have DP6 installed.  I used your config.plist for the iMac13,1 and the ig platform id 0x01660001.  I got video to load but no cursor.  I still managed to start the installation process by booting into my recovery partition for High Sierra.  When I rebooted after installing, that configuration no longer worked.  What worked after that was the config.plist for iMac13,1 with the video bios loaded and ig platform id of 0x01660004.  At this point, that is the only configuration that will allow video to load.  I would like to use an SMBIOS for a MBP but I will have to figure out what combination of SMBIOS and video settings to use.  

Credit goes to you, chris1111 and something I read on the TonyMac site that RehabMan wrote.  He suggested disabling the Radeon GPU and finding a valid ig platform id for some guy that had the same problem as me.  That guy was unable to solve his problem.  Too bad I'm banned there or I would post my solution.

EDIT No. 2:  Another hour later and I have determined that it is not the SMBIOS of your iMac13,1 config.plist that is making video load for me.  It is some other setting that I have not figured out.  I copied your iMac13,1 config.plist and changed the SMBIOS and the video still loads.  I'll dissect your config.plist after some sleep to figure out what setting is the magic charm.  Thanks.

Dear, I also have this problem, config attached, what can I do to install the 6 beta? clover 4176.

Please update your signature with the hardware specs that you are using so people can help you easier.

• Like 1

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is related to my ig platform id. I know that Clover fills it in automatically, but what it is filling in is not working. I need to try another. What ig platform id do you use?

EDIT: 2 hours later, I have DP6 installed. I used your config.plist for the iMac13,1 and the ig platform id 0x01660001. I got video to load but no cursor. I still managed to start the installation process by booting into my recovery partition for High Sierra. When I rebooted after installing, that configuration no longer worked. What worked after that was the config.plist for iMac13,1 with the video bios loaded and ig platform id of 0x01660004. At this point, that is the only configuration that will allow video to load. I would like to use an SMBIOS for a MBP but I will have to figure out what combination of SMBIOS and video settings to use.

Credit goes to you, chris1111 and something I read on the TonyMac site that RehabMan wrote. He suggested disabling the Radeon GPU and finding a valid ig platform id for some guy that had the same problem as me. That guy was unable to solve his problem. Too bad I'm banned there or I would post my solution.

What is resolution? Can you give me clover full log with inject intel?

EDIT1. Upload clover log for only success case.

Sierra and HS

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

tried this config before I disconnected the internal SSD 24 GB , but still not installed, swears by the firmware. What to do?

Did you erase the destination drive which you are trying to install macOS or you just resumed the previous installation?

• Like 1

What is resolution? Can you give me clover full log with inject intel?

EDIT1. Upload clover log for only success case.

Sierra and HS

Sure, the resolution is 1920x1080 and here's the boot.log.

bootlog.log.txt

Not sure what you want for Sierra.  I use different settings for that.  It uses the MBP9,2 SMBIOS and just inject Intel for graphics in config.plist.  Do you want a log of that boot?

Sure, the resolution is 1920x1080 and here's the boot.log.

attachicon.gifbootlog.log.txt

Not sure what you want for Sierra. I use different settings for that. It uses the MBP9,2 SMBIOS and just inject Intel for graphics in config.plist. Do you want a log of that boot?

Sorry for bad english.

Great info for resolution.

I just ask you that you can boot without IG issue on both Sierra and HS.

If you can get log with inject intel(put your ig value manually, dont use auto detection(blank)) on Sierra and HS, upload both log. Thanks

Sorry for bad english.

Great info for resolution.

I just ask you that you can boot without IG issue on both Sierra and HS.

If you can get log with inject intel(put your ig value manually, dont use auto detection(blank)) on Sierra and HS, upload both log. Thanks

No worries about your English.  I only know 2 words in Korean.

Here's the boot.log for Sierra.  Ig platform id injection works fine with Sierra.  It's only not working right in High Sierra.  Hope this helps you to improve Clover.

bootlog.log.txt

Did you erase the destination drive which you are trying to install macOS or you just resumed the previous installation?

I'm trying to put on one of the partition external disk that format before installing. 

Sorry for bad english.

A while back I made a post and I was facing somewhat a similar problem as you do now (There was a Firmware verification failure and after that there was an error regarding the OSInstall.mpkg error)

There are few reasons for why you get that error.

1. You have EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi installed with the clover efi bootloader in one or more hard disks

and/or

2. You have nvram.plist placed on the root of the EFI partition which is another reason for that error

3. Your SMBIOS data is out dated

4. You might not have using the correct Firmware Feature and Firmware Feature Mask values

To avoid the "an error occurred while updating firmware" make sure that you are using the latest version of Clover which is r4178 at the moment (Using Build_Clover 4.5.3.command) and the official release version of Clover is r4173 at sourceforge.net.

So here's what I suggest:

1. Use the latest BIOS Version, BIOS Released Date for your hack's SMBIOS (Clover Configurator can automatically provide that information.)

2. Do not use the EmuVaraiableUEFI.efi on your USB Installer the Installer doesn't need it anyway and you can add it later once you installed macOS High Sierra.

3. Make sure you have the correct FF and FFM implemented in your SMBIOS (Clover will automatically determines those values if they are not provided by the SMBIOS)

and finally I suggest that avoid using APFS on your flash drive, I did the same thing with mine and it got damaged.

Thanks! Removing EmuVariableUEFI fixed the OSInstall.mpkg error for the earlier betas but beta6 was the first time I got the firmware update error. I tried everything you listed, but the only thing that works on my Z170 gaming m7 rig (to bypass the firmware error) is removing the NVME drive on my box. (my bios doesn’t allow me to disable NVME drives so unfortunately I have to break open my rig to remove the device).

Some are suggesting that it’s the USB installation method of the High Sierra that’s borked, and that we should try the core.pkg method instead. I haven’t tried that route, maybe next time.

Thanks! Removing EmuVariableUEFI fixed the OSInstall.mpkg error for the earlier betas but beta6 was the firrst time I got the firmware update error. I tried everything you listed, but the only thing that works on my Z170 gaming m7 rig (to bypass the firmware error) is removing the NVME drive on my box. (my bios doesn’t allow me to disable NVME drives so unfortunately I have to break open my rig to remove the device).

Some are suggesting that it’s fhe USB installation method of the High Sierra that’s borked, and that we should try the core.mpkg method instead. I haven’t tried that route, maybe next time.

Well unfortunately I don't have a nVme device on none of my systems so I can't know for sure if that is the root cause of your problem or not. But if the USB installation was broken then no one should've been able to use it for installing the macOS High Sierra PB5 (17A344b) which is not true. Firmware related errors occurred once or twice while I was trying to install macOS on my rig but it was al related to clover, SMBIOS, FF and FFM rather than the USB install method or the hardware components on my rig.

I'm trying to put on one of the partition external disk that format before installing. 

Sorry for bad english.

Let me know if it worked out ;)

• Like 1

Well unfortunately I don't have a nVme device on none of my systems so I can't know for sure if that is the root cause of your problem or not. But if the USB installation was broken then no one should be able to use it for installing the macOS High Sierra PB5 (17A344b) which is not true. Firmware related errors occurred once or twice while I was trying to install macOS on my rig but it was al related to clover, SMBIOS, FF and FFM rather than the USB install method or the hardware components on my rig.

Let me know if it worked out ;)

Thanks! I would have the same conclusion as you (for the USB method) if I didn’t have NVME device installed.

Thanks! I would have the same conclusion as you (for the USB method) if I didn’t have NVME device installed.

Did you try to install fresh HS DP6? What is method? creatinstallmedia?

Some system now fail kexttopatch and kernel patch when install fresh HS DP6. I checked it with PMheart.

No worries about your English. I only know 2 words in Korean.

Here's the boot.log for Sierra. Ig platform id injection works fine with Sierra. It's only not working right in High Sierra. Hope this helps you to improve Clover.

attachicon.gifbootlog.log.txt

Thank you i will update. Really appreciate for report

Edit.

Did you find ig platformid to work both Sierra and HS?

EDIT1

i saw your 10.13 log compared 10.12.6 log

10.12.6 great work 0004 id with auto detection.

Strange, cant your system auto-detect 0004 on 10.13? Should put 0x01660004 in config for 10.13?

EDIT2

okay. You use 0001 to get gpu when using hs recovery, then after install HS, return 0004.

It seems like similar dvmt case. Clover is no problem now. Proved your 10.12.6 log. I think you have to keep what you mentioned or find better solution.

Thanks

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is related to my ig platform id.  I know that Clover fills it in automatically, but what it is filling in is not working.  I need to try another.  What ig platform id do you use?

EDIT:  2 hours later, I have DP6 installed.  I used your config.plist for the iMac13,1 and the ig platform id 0x01660001.  I got video to load but no cursor.  I still managed to start the installation process by booting into my recovery partition for High Sierra.  When I rebooted after installing, that configuration no longer worked.  What worked after that was the config.plist for iMac13,1 with the video bios loaded and ig platform id of 0x01660004.  At this point, that is the only configuration that will allow video to load.  I would like to use an SMBIOS for a MBP but I will have to figure out what combination of SMBIOS and video settings to use.  

Credit goes to you, chris1111 and something I read on the TonyMac site that RehabMan wrote.  He suggested disabling the Radeon GPU and finding a valid ig platform id for some guy that had the same problem as me.  That guy was unable to solve his problem.  Too bad I'm banned there or I would post my solution.

EDIT No. 2:  Another hour later and I have determined that it is not the SMBIOS of your iMac13,1 config.plist that is making video load for me.  It is some other setting that I have not figured out.  I copied your iMac13,1 config.plist and changed the SMBIOS and the video still loads.  I'll dissect your config.plist after some sleep to figure out what setting is the magic charm.  Thanks.

Great ! 

I'm really happy for you 

The solution came to you because you never gave up

hi,which kext on other or 10.13 . beta 6 daily driver ??

Kexts are in other folder for install but installed in S/L/E for system.

Yes daily driver as laptop is for testing and desktop is main use rig.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clover 4178. Bootlog attached.

No added FF, FFM.

MacBook Pro 11,1 SMBIOS.

Fresh install no issues.

Laptop specs in sig.

Beta 6 daily driver.

B.I work when not on charge.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-08-19 at 7.55.59 pm.png

Great log. Clover is good.

I have a idea and will improve clover for FFM FF and support high sierra.

Same error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e31c4a86ceb971644c4d82ffc0ffb2d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem.

Fresh installation HS DP6.

Clover 4173, several times I checked all the SMBOS data and I have set this according to the previous info from here post 2600:

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
<string>08/08/2017</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>IM142.88Z.0122.B00.1708080739</string>
<key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
<string>***CENSORED***</string>
<key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
<string>0xe00fe137</string>
<key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
<string>0xff1fff3f</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>iMac14,2</string>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<key>SmUUID</key>
<key>Trust</key>
<true/>
</dict>
SMC is also correct: 2.15f7

There is definitely something wrong with the SMBIOS data or DP6 installer for identification iMac14,2 (iMac (27-inch, Late 2013).