[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

If I boot up Recovery HD and check the status it tells me that sip is deactivated.

@slice : I didn’t install it with apfs!

You say that the best way is to install clover manually but how ?

I can’t see any EFI partition which could be mounted so I can just add the files...

Well...then maybe the problem is somewhere else. Meaning on the inability to mount the EFI partition.

Did you try to mount the partition manually (from command line, using EFI Mounter or Clover Configurator) and then try to reinstall Clover? Is Finder set to display Hard Disks (so you can see the EFI partition when it's mounted)?

Yes it is. Did you upgrade to clean installed the new OS?

Uhm..nope. I upgraded normally. Not clean install... Are you saying you installed 17A306f manually? Cause...indeed, that I didn't do. But...if it were in this build...shouldn't be in S/L/E anyway...? I mean, what difference does it make if it's a clean install or upgrade if this build is supposed to bring that file with it?

Guys there's a new kext in /S/L/E called eficheck.kext which is an empty kext file with 0 KB. Does anybody know what is it?

Ive got it here. Not a "fresh" install but i downloaded the new .app again and installed that on my desktop. I'll check laptop soon as that was an app store update.

post-1083558-0-25221700-1499762404_thumb.png

Well...then maybe the problem is somewhere else. Meaning on the inability to mount the EFI partition.

Did you try to mount the partition manually (from command line, using EFI Mounter or Clover Configurator) and then try to reinstall Clover? Is Finder set to display Hard Disks?

Uhm..nope. I upgraded normally. Not clean install... Are you saying you installed 17A306f manually? Cause...indeed, that I didn't do. But...if it were in this build...shouldn't be in S/L/E anyway...? I mean, what difference does it make if it's a clean install or upgrade if this build is supposed to bring that file with it?

Yes that's exactly what I meant. I just did clean install the 17A306f and after rebuilding the kext cache I noticed a new message which was "eficheck.kext has no info.plist" and when I checked /S/L/E I saw the kext and I opened it and there was nothing inside it. The upgrade and clean install shouldn't matter as you said if it's supposed to be there, then it should. so that's weird  :surprised:

Ive got it here. Not a "fresh" install but i downloaded the new .app again and installed that on my desktop. I'll check laptop soon as that was an app store update.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.21.41 pm.png

That's strange! so why do we have it and arsradu doesn't? and why it's an empty file?

If I try to mount it via terminal I get the failed to mount error. Tools like EFI Mounter Clover Configurator also doesn’t mount the EFI drive...

Tried to reinstall High Sierra a couple of times, everytime the same problem!

Yep. So it seems to be included with the full app file. Not the incremental upgrades. That would explain why I don't have it while you guys do.

As to what would be the purpose of that...I have no idea. I remember getting a pop-up even with Sierra, when the OS would detect some changes to the EFI partition. I never bothered to go deeper into that since it was only a one time thing. It wouldn't pop-up every time. Also, I'm not sure it's related to this file.

If I try to mount it via terminal I get the failed to mount error. Tools like EFI Mounter Clover Configurator also doesn’t mount the EFI drive...

Tried to reinstall High Sierra a couple of times, everytime the same problem!

What does diskutil list output for you? Also, what's the exact error you get when trying to mount EFI?

So, the problem is not with Clover, but with the EFI partition. You're not in Safe Mode, right? Just asking. Probably stupid question, but just asking. Cause if I remember correctly, you can't mount the EFI partition in Safe Mode.

I'm using an iMac17,1 SMBIOS, I think this little kext is the one responsible for checking the firmware on the EFI partition and if there's an update available it will tell the OS to update the Firmware and other wise it will bypass the firmware update.

I'm using an iMac17,1 SMBIOS, I think this little kext is the one responsible for checking the firmware on the EFI partition and if there's an update available it will tell the OS to update the Firmware and other wise it will bypass the firmware update.

I'm also using iMac17,1 SMBIOS. But I guess there might be something specific to your machine... Or...as I said before, maybe that little kext is just not included with the updates. And it only comes with the full installer app. 

At this point, your guess is as good as mine. Probably even better than mine. :))

• Like 2

Yes that's exactly what I meant. I just did clean install the 17A306f and after rebuilding the kext cache I noticed a new message which was "eficheck.kext has no info.plist" and when I checked /S/L/E I saw the kext and I opened it and there was nothing inside it. The upgrade and clean install shouldn't matter as you said if it's supposed to be there, then it should. so that's weird  :surprised:

That's strange! so why do we have it and arsradu doesn't? and why it's an empty file?

I dont have the eficheck kext on my laptop so it must be only for fresh or refresh installs?

I'm also using iMac17,1 SMBIOS. But I guess there might be something specific to your machine... Or...as I said before, maybe that little kext is just not included with the updates. And it only comes with the full installer app. 

At this point, your guess is as good as mine. Probably even better than mine. :))

I dont have the eficheck kext on my laptop so it must be only for fresh or refresh installs?

Yeah that must be it. I will try to update my other macOS High Sierra PB 1 to the latest versions and see if I still get the kext file or not.

@arsradu: 

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *480.1 GB   disk1

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                  Apple_HFS SSD                     478.6 GB   disk1s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3

4:       Apple_KernelCoreDump                         655.4 MB   disk1s4

and If I try to mount disk1s1 via diskutil mount /dev/disk1s1 I get Volume on disk1s1 failed to mount

If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option .

​EfiMounter or Clover Configurator doesn't show any error. Nothing happens if I try to mount it and thats all.

@arsradu: 

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *480.1 GB   disk1

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                  Apple_HFS SSD                     478.6 GB   disk1s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3

4:       Apple_KernelCoreDump                         655.4 MB   disk1s4

and If I try to mount disk1s1 via diskutil mount /dev/disk1s1 I get Volume on disk1s1 failed to mount

If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option .

​EfiMounter or Clover Configurator doesn't show any error. Nothing happens if I try to mount it and thats all.

Hmm..

Could you please, try this as well?

mkdir /Volumes/efi

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/efi

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/efi

mount_msdos: Unsupported sector size (0)

Hmm... disk2s1? Is that another HDD? Or a typo? 

If that's supposed to be disk1s1, it looks like something got seriously screwed up over there. And reinstalling the OS will make no difference since the OS is installed on a different partition.

I know there were a few guides out there to fix your EFI partition without wiping the entire HDD/SSD. I just can't find any right now...

Hmm... disk2s1? Is that another HDD? Or a typo? 

If that's supposed to be disk1s1, it looks like something got seriously screwed up over there. And reinstalling the OS will make no difference since the OS is installed on a different partition.

I knww there were a few guides out there to fix your EFI partition without wiping the entire HDD/SSD. I just can't find any right now...

I rebooted the system and after that terminal said that my EFI Partition and the SSD Drive on which High Sierra is installed is disk2s1 now thats why I typed disk2s1. 

@crusher: Already tried that before and only get : Volume on disk1s1 failed to mount

If the volume is damaged, try the "readOnly" option

EDIT: Rebooted the system again now High Sierra is disk1s1 again but still doesn't work to mount the EFI Partition.

WTF is going on with this Partition?

I rebooted the system and after that terminal said that my EFI Partition and the SSD Drive on which High Sierra is installed is disk2s1 now thats why I typed disk2s1.

@crusher: Already tried that before and only get : Volume on disk1s1 failed to mount

EDIT: Rebooted the system again now High Sierra is disk1s1 again but still doesn't work to mount the EFI Partition.

Probably damaged. Now question is how to fix it without wiping the disk.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

@crusher: Already tried that before and only get : Volume on disk1s1 failed to mount

EDIT: Rebooted the system again now High Sierra is disk1s1 again but still doesn't work to mount the EFI Partition.

try checking you efi partition by

sudo fsck_msdos disk0s1

change disk0s1 to your efi partition

I think I maybe found the problem... Just accessed my bios and the ssd on which high Sierra is installed is not even listed...

Looks like it’s damaged... trying to format it as fat 32 and then reinstall High Sierra

Can iGPU and dGPU be used together?

If intel injection is set to true, it will stack at startup.

(It will work if it is only one of the GPUs)

-----
macOS High Sierra 10.13 beta 3 (17A306f)
Core i3 4130
GA-Z87-UD3H

Intel HD 4400

Geforce 9600GT
Clover 4114

SMBIOS iMac14,2
Lilu 1.1.5
NvidiaGraphicsFixup 1.1.2
IntelGraphicsFixup 1.1.5
AppleALC 1.1.3
bootargs dart=0 darkwake=0 -lilubeta -alcbeta -ngfxbeta -igfxbeta

macOS High Sierra 10.13 beta 3 (17A306f)= succeed for fresh Install (cyberdev's EFI Folder)

Some issue:

-Now, OOB wifi card didn't work despite reinstalling the Apple Kext (IO80211...). But work on USB pendrive for installation ?

-External USB drive recognized as internal with sliver icon. No success with patches.

post-1110743-0-67737200-1499768489_thumb.png

macOS High Sierra 10.13 beta 3 (17A306f)= succeed for fresh Install (cyberdev's EFI Folder)

Some issue:

-Now, OOB wifi card didn't work despite reinstalling the Apple Kext (IO80211...). But work on USB pendrive ?

-External USB drive recognized as internal with sliver icon. No success with patches.

Send me both EFI folders from your pen drive and hdd. if it works when you use your pen drive then it should work on hdd.

Or you can just replace the EFI on your hard disk (Make a copy of it for further use first) with the one you have on your pen drive.

• Like 1

Can iGPU and dGPU be used together?

If intel injection is set to true, it will stack at startup.

(It will work if it is only one of the GPUs)

-----

macOS High Sierra 10.13 beta 3 (17A306f)

Core i3 4130

GA-Z87-UD3H

Intel HD 4400

Geforce 9600GT

Clover 4114

SMBIOS iMac14,2

Lilu 1.1.5

NvidiaGraphicsFixup 1.1.2

IntelGraphicsFixup 1.1.5

AppleALC 1.1.3

bootargs dart=0 darkwake=0 -lilubeta -alcbeta -ngfxbeta -igfxbeta

For those Nvidia cards which need either Nvidia Web Driver or inject Nvidia by Clover (or GE=Y by Enoch/Chameleon) only Intel HD or Nvidia alone was working.

To boot High Sierra either disabled Intel HD by BIOS or set nv_disable=1 was working at present.

• Like 1

Send me both EFI folders from your pen drive and hdd. if it works when you use your pen drive then it should work on hdd.

Or you can just replace the EFI on your hard disk (Make a copy of it for further use first) with the one you have on your pen drive.

Thanks. I just copy EFI folder from USB pen drive to hard disk. I replace vboxhfs by hfsplus-64.efi and add hdmiaudio.kext

EFI_Hard_Disk.zip

EFI_Pendrive.zip

Thanks. I just copy EFI folder from USB pen drive to hard disk. I replace vboxhfs by hfsplus-64.efi and add hdmiaudio.kext

These folders are identical (except for the kext that you added), the config.plist are the same.

When you boot from USB you have WiFi and when you boot from hdd it doesn't work?

• Like 1

Back again with some news... SSD is definitely broken... 

Tried to do a backup from my working Sierra build and the EFI Partition can also not be mounted.

Trying to get a new one had the broken one for a year and couple of months.