Want 10.4.8? Think you 'have' 10.4.8? It's out!

cmoski

233 posts in this topic

So, for those of us that managed to get the old invalid ISO to install and seem to have everything working, is there something in that background that is still borked?

I'm very curious about this as well. I got iCal running just fine, and sound and networking. I assume the new DVD wouldn't wipe out my partition table like the original did (resurrected with no loss using testdisk), which would be an improvement. But since I did get mine installed and booting eventually, what could the new DVD bring me? Does it do better with System info or something? Really I don't see much wrong with my cirrent install from the original.

Should the new one be worth doing, is there a patch available against the original? Not feeling like burning more gigs of bandwidth if not necessary.

Thats what I thought, too :D

Anyway, my azureus hash is 09B91456DCFEF6DEF3E096A440DF0A2C8F507A11

(in azureus doubleclick torrent and look it up, paste it via click to clipboard)

I've got the same hash and I completed the download from the demonoid torrent. Installation fails due to a bad Java component. Seems that other components are broken as well. At startup, Semthex's 4.8 kernel is booted for the installation process; I believe that JaS said that the new disc uses the 4.4 kernel for the install. Definitely not the one to get. :D

MD5 comes back as 2ea3b4d72190248c12f7d6fbfbb6c38a

Looks like I'll have to download again. :)

Well, I've downloaded the file that matches the MD5 from the original post in this thread (and am currently seeding it at work for all you nice people :D ), however, I am unable to install.

I burn it just as I have all other DVDs that I have downloaded. The startup screen comes up, I press a key, sey the white background with the gray apple logo, and then poof... screen goes blank.

I hear the DVD spinning up and I see activity on the disk LED light, but the screen is completely blank. I've even disabled the Hyper Threading in the BIOS and re-tried it.

Is anyone else seeing this? I have a Dell Inspiron E1405.

Thanks to all... and especially JaS!

Maybe your video is going to the vga out port on the laptop,try that and see what happens

Well, I gave it a shot. Although the video feed was not being sent through the VGA port, once I hooked it up to a VGA port, I was able to watch the spinning gray progress icon.

It's been spinning now for a good 10 minutes... with come DVD activity every now and then.

I thought it may have been a bad burn, so I re-burned it at 1x speed. I will try this next, but I don't think that there are any defects on the DVD that I am currently using.

Sadly, the only other computer I have to try this on is my corporate laptop and although I am a System Admin for my company, I don't think that they would understand. Not that they would understand me seeding your torrent on a rouge VMware ESX server. :D

I am announcing FULL SUCCESS (finally .. :D )with JaS latest release incl. the ppf-patch, as shared on demonoid (don't PM me for the link, just search there for JaS and you will find it!):

in custom install:

- installed with "Semthex Kernel" and "10.4.4 Loginwindow" activated

- first also checked "Mac OS 10.4.8 USB Update", but that hosed all of my USB after restart. So I installed again, this time without USB Update

What

What about the "Jas 10.4.8.combo.update " ?

What is the ppf-patch?

the ich8 kext doesnt work.

the new reseed 10.4.8 works fine.

i didnt need to enter anything in boot file to make the dvd boot. all you need to do is make sure your dvd rom drive on slave sata port.

oh don;t forget to put the fsb setting after installation on the boot file:

example:

kernel flag

fsb=266

(266 = core duo2)

Well, I tried that, but it doesn't work. On the POST screen, the HDD is Master 0, and the DVD Drive is Master 1. Do I have to change the jumper settings on the DVD Drive?

Well, I tried that, but it doesn't work. On the POST screen, the HDD is Master 0, and the DVD Drive is Master 1. Do I have to change the jumper settings on the DVD Drive?

try other orange sata port.! u need a slave sata port to get it to work.

goto bios and you will see what one is sata port.

Ds3 bios

USB mouse and PS2 keyboard doesn't work. I'll replace the PS2 with an USB one, but why the USB mouse doesn't work?

you can;t use 1 ps/2 keyboard with usb mouse. they doesnt work together.

the usb patch on the new dvd reseed doesnt work.

go here to get the 10.4.8 working usb driver.

apple usb driver

select IOUSBFamily-261.4.2_Intel.pkg one! not the log one.

you will have to use both usb keyboard and mouse.

"QUOTE(cmoski @ Nov 2 2006, 04:17 AM)

For those wondering if the old invalid ISO will work:

Trash the old ISO. It will not work. "

The first "broken" iso works like a champ. Thanks.

The second "fixed" iso sucks silly pills. Tie it to a rock and drop it down with the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Uncompressed isos waste a lot of bandwidth and download time. Bit Torrent blows chunks...

"QUOTE(cmoski @ Nov 2 2006, 04:17 AM)

For those wondering if the old invalid ISO will work:

Trash the old ISO. It will not work. "

The first "broken" iso works like a champ. Thanks.

The second "fixed" iso sucks silly pills. Tie it to a rock and drop it down with the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Uncompressed isos waste a lot of bandwidth and download time. Bit Torrent blows chunks...

Please explain why the second "fixed" ISO sucks?

I am downloading now slowly off mininova

i'm currently downloading what i think is the correct release... the MD5 and SHA1 listed under the torrent match the ones in this thread...

i can't really do anything until an amd sse3 patch is added into this release though... forgive my ignorance, but will i be able to include such a patch into this dvd when it is available?

try other orange sata port.! u need a slave sata port to get it to work.

goto bios and you will see what one is sata port.

Ds3 bios

I put the SATA DVD Drive into every port possible. It still shows up as master. Anyway, I managed to get it to work by making the DVD Drive Master 0, and the HDD Master 1.

My only problem now, is that I don't have any internet connection. I did a clean install, so I don't have my old extensions to use from 10.4.7. How do I get my PCI network card working, like in 10.4.7?

i'm currently downloading what i think is the correct release... the MD5 and SHA1 listed under the torrent match the ones in this thread...

i can't really do anything until an amd sse3 patch is added into this release though... forgive my ignorance, but will i be able to include such a patch into this dvd when it is available?

There will probably be a PPF file to patch it. :o

My only problem now, is that I don't have any internet connection. I did a clean install, so I don't have my old extensions to use from 10.4.7. How do I get my PCI network card working, like in 10.4.7?

There will probably be a PPF file to patch it. :)

use my gigabyte ds3/4 pack.

contain all the fix;audio, network yukon and jmicron sata/ide.

you can customize which to install..

Hi folks,

I have installed the new JaS DVD now - great job JaS. I got everything working except network. I think the hole pci is not working.

If I look in the system profiler at the loaded extensions I find a lot information like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kernel.6.0: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.mach: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone tell me how to fix it? I have upgraded form JaS 10.4.6 perhaps that is the reason?

Thanx for your help

Please explain why the second "fixed" ISO sucks?

I am downloading now slowly off mininova

It failed to load after installation and the MD5 right was on the nose. In verbose mode it named something that was missing and went into permanent hang - but I didn't write the missing file name down. The first iso with the bad MD5 worked fine (Intel D945 system). It looks like one or the other iso works depending on your hardware. Unfortunately, the promised future patches will probably only work on the iso that doesn't work for me.