[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, polyzargone said:

You can't just copy the entire EFI partition, you also need to install Clover in Legacy mode (boot0af or boot0ss) on it. Then, you can replace - not merge - the installed CLOVER folder with your own CLOVER folder.

Of course, you were right. Installed Clover, THEN copied over the EFI folder, and everything is working like a charm. Sorry to have been an idiot, and thanks for setting me straight.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I need assistance in getting my GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 DirectX 12 GV-N1030OC-2GI 2GB running. 

I've installed the latest Nvidia Web Driver and it's set to use Nvidia Graphic Driver but the video is choppy so I'm assuming its not running with acceleration.  It's only reporting 7mb of vram.

Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixUp are in my kext folder.  NvidiaWeb is set to true in clover.  Tried with and without nvda_drv=1.

Attached is my clover folder.  Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i3oVlwahKW4x1moiU3QkoKsHcUL3lhtS

@chris1111, I looked at your config file for the GT1030 but I'm wondering why you have a fake id set for ATI?  Using your DSDT, it causes a no signal.  

Guest ricoc90

@9000RPM AFAIK you only need the WebDrivers, nothing more. Booting with nvda_drv=1 is obsolete, 

The fake id for ATI is for the 5450 and shouldn't affect your nvidia card as long as you don't inject ATI. 

Furthermore (not related to your question), you're using NullCPUPowermanagement.kext, but why? You're patching it in your config.plist already.
Same goes for RTC

9 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

@9000RPM AFAIK you only need the WebDrivers, nothing more. Booting with nvda_drv=1 is obsolete, 

The fake id for ATI is for the 5450 and shouldn't affect your nvidia card as long as you don't inject ATI. 

Furthermore (not related to your question), you're using NullCPUPowermanagement.kext, but why? You're patching it in your config.plist already.
Same goes for RTC

@ricoc90, I don't see a NullCPUPowermanagemnt.kext in my kext folder.  I do have "AppleIntelCPUM" checked in clover otherwise I get this error message and hangs there.j46Xyd7.jpg

It worked fine without this back in El Capitan.

9 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

4 hours ago, polyzargone said:

@polyzargone Thank you but using your DSDT, SSDT and config, I get a few errors.

1st. Your config doesn't have appleintelcpumanagement checked so I always get that error message.  see above image.
2nd.  Enabling appleintelcpumanagement solves the boot problem and using your DSDT, I see a line about the Nvidia web driver being loaded but after clover, I get a no signal.
3rd.  Using my original DSDT, I don't see Nvidia web driver being loaded the login screen loads but it's only 7mb of vram.

Also, not sure what else I need from your linked Clover folder but Drivers64UEFI folder is missing.

16 minutes ago, 9000RPM said:

1st. Your config doesn't have appleintelcpumanagement checked so I always get that error message.  see above image.
2nd.  Enabling appleintelcpumanagement solves the boot problem and using your DSDT, I see a line about the Nvidia web driver being loaded but after clover, I get a no signal.
3rd.  Using my original DSDT, I don't see Nvidia web driver being loaded the login screen loads but it's only 7mb of vram.

Also, not sure what else I need from your linked Clover folder but Drivers64UEFI folder is missing.

1st. Unless I'm mistaken, you shouldn't need AppleIntelCPUM in config.plist nor NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext. Your CPU should have native support.

Anyway, if it works then use one of them or both.

2nd. 'No signal' probably mean that SMBios is wrong. Optiplex series used to work with iMac10,1 but it looks like that those who have NVIDIA GPUs has this problem. I guess using iMac12,2 or possibly iMac14,2 will solve the issue.

As for the missing Driver64UEFI folder, I'd say it's a recurrent mistake in every Optiplex 7xx/9xx I've seen so far since none of these models has a UEFI Bios. Therefore, the Drivers64UEFI folder is never used so it's not needed :P.

Edited by polyzargone

9 minutes ago, polyzargone said:

1st. Unless I'm mistaken, you shouldn't need AppleIntelCPUM in config.plist nor NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext. Your CPU should have native support.

Anyway, if it works then use one of them or both.

2nd. 'No signal' probably mean that SMBios is wrong. Optiplex series used to work with iMac10,1 but it looks like that those who have NVIDIA GPUs has this problem. I guess using iMac12,2 or possibly iMac14,2 will solve the issue.

As for the missing Driver64UEFI folder, I'd say it's a recurrent mistake in every Optiplex 7xx/9xx I've seen so far since none of these models has a UEFI Bios. Therefore, the Drivers64UEFI folder is never used so it's not needed :P.

I did read up on the pascal graphics card and others were saying to use the imac15 or imac17, but neither of those worked 

Another guide said to make sure "emuvariableuefi-64" was in the folder, so how do I get it if that folder is never used?

I might start with a fresh install of High Sierra and see what happens. I've put back 5770 for now. 

Thanks

I do not use NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext.

I do use AppleIntelCPUM option in Clover. 

Maybe not always needed with a compatible smbios, but I use it, or I get a panic.

According to WiKi Page...

AppleIntelCPUPM

<key>AppleIntelCPUPM</key>

<true/>

AsusAICPUPM key was renamed to AppleIntelCPUPM.

Some vendors, like ASUS, restrict the use of MSR register 0xE2 in their power management module to ReadOnly. On Sandy/Ivy Bridge systems the kext AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement will try to write to this register and cause a kernel panic. This patch will eliminate the kext's write operations.

Guest ricoc90
On 3-4-2018 at 3:28 PM, Deanor30 said:

I would advise anyone using dual display on their hackintosh to NOT update to 10.13.4 as it breaks this feature!! I am using a GT710 nvidia card.

I'm also using the GT 710 and dual monitor is working fine (DVI and HDMI), as it always did (currently running 10.13.5 beta)

r50OGTx.png

Edited by ricoc90

20 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

I'm also using the GT 710 and dual monitor is working fine (DVI and HDMI), as it always did (currently running 10.13.5 beta)

r50OGTx.png

can you confirm are you using MacOS generic drivers or Nvidia webdrivers??

Guest ricoc90
Just now, Deanor30 said:

can you confirm are you using MacOS generic drivers or Nvidia webdrivers??

macOS Default drivers indeed, but no issues with the WebDriver either

On 4/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, ricoc90 said:

Ricoc, Thanks for the update. I tested my monitors using DVI  & hdmi and you are correct, these do work. My original config was VGA & DVI and it does seem that the update does break VGA. When I tested my system using just one monitor through VGA my monitor is getting no signal!!

Guest ricoc90

@Deanor30  VGA also should work, so the problem must be somewhere else.
I'm using a 17" VGA monitor on the Optiplex 755 (also GT 710, also High Sierra) without problems.

Spoiler

HumBYeH.png

Make sure that your VGA monitor has the correct resolution and enable duallink if you're on high resolution, or disable it if you're on low resolution.
Anyway, this conversation should be moved to the High Sierra thread :)

Edited by ricoc90

On 4/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, ricoc90 said:

ricoc90, Can I ask what audio method you are using. Since I updated my audio has stopped working despite updating clover, lilu.kext & applealc.kext.

Guest ricoc90
2 minutes ago, Deanor30 said:

ricoc90, Can I ask what audio method you are using. Since I updated my audio has stopped working despite updating clover, lilu.kext & applealc.kext.

On which system? The codec for the 755 is not in the AppleALC release, you'll need the one from post #1

For the 760 you'll need to rollback AppleHDA.kext

19 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

On which system? The codec for the 755 is not in the AppleALC release, you'll need the one from post #1

For the 760 you'll need to rollback AppleHDA.kext

definitely lots of rollBack for the Old Optiplex 755/760/780 ^_^

Guest ricoc90
2 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

definitely lots of rollBack for the Old Optiplex 755/760/780 ^_^

Well, the 755 doesn't need any rollback. That is, if you don't use an AMD GPU of course.
The 755 doesn't need the AppleHDA rollback.

The 780 does need the AppleHDA rollback according to MacPeet and since the 760 shares the same codec I assume the 760 needs a rollback too

But indeed, it's getting pretty hard for these older machines to keep up on the newer macOS's :D

Ricoc90, Apologies, the issue is with the 760 so I need to roll back to the vanilla applehda.kext or use a modified one?? Also the layout of my DSDT file was edited for the Applealc.kext method so do I have to roll this back also? I am a bit of a novice on this!

Guest ricoc90

No, you need to replace your AppleHDA.kext with the one from 10.13.3 (maybe the one from Sierra will work too?). Nothing more. Leave your DSDT as is, leave AppleALC as is.

10.13.3's AppleHDA.kext: AppleHDA.kext.zip

Install in /System/Library/Extensions/

But again: this conversation should actually be moved to the High Sierra thread :lol:

Edited by ricoc90

Just an update to my GT 1030 issue:

I moved the computer to my office and hooked it up to my 2 1080P monitors.  I decided to use the GT 1030 again so I re-installed the webdrivers, lilu.kext, and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext.  This time, I got it working on first boot.

The only thing different from before was that it was hooked up to a 4k TV in my bedroom.  I will try to hook it up to the 4k TV again and see if it still works.

But now I have no HDMI audio.  Haven't really looked into it yet. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, 9000RPM said:

Just an update to my GT 1030 issue:

I moved the computer to my office and hooked it up to my 2 1080P monitors.  I decided to use the GT 1030 again so I re-installed the webdrivers, lilu.kext, and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext.  This time, I got it working on first boot.

The only thing different from before was that it was hooked up to a 4k TV in my bedroom.  I will try to hook it up to the 4k TV again and see if it still works.

But now I have no HDMI audio.  Haven't really looked into it yet. 

Cheers

I  not use  nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext with the GT 1030 and yes HDMI has change in Beta 10.13.5, see AppleALC for this

2 hours ago, chris1111 said:

I  not use  nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext with the GT 1030 and yes HDMI has change in Beta 10.13.5, see AppleALC for this

Thanks for letting me know about the AppleALC...I'll look into it. 

I "fixed" my audio issue with a spare CSR 4.0 bluetooth dongle laying around and I was surprised it was a simple plug-n-play in Sierra.