[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

HD6570 other Device (The patch for the HD5450 in the DSDT must be removed, or post your current DSDT and I'll make it.)

try Inject Ati (Yes or No) in Clover (optional: Framebuffer-Name "Pithecia" or "Bulrushes")

DSDT: (for HD6570)

Device (PEG0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x08)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                Buffer (0x09)
                                {
                                    "Built In"
                                }, 
                                "built-in", 
                                Buffer (One)
                                {
                                    0x00
                                }, 
                                "model", 
                                Buffer (0x13)
                                {
                                    "AMD Radeon HD 6570"
                                }, 
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

or only

Device (PEG0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            { 
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

HD6570 other Device (The patch for the HD5450 in the DSDT must be removed, or post your current DSDT and I'll make it.)

try Inject Ati (Yes or No) in Clover (optional: Framebuffer-Name "Pithecia" or "Bulrushes")

DSDT: (for HD6570)

Device (PEG0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x08)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                Buffer (0x09)
                                {
                                    "Built In"
                                }, 
                                "built-in", 
                                Buffer (One)
                                {
                                    0x00
                                }, 
                                "model", 
                                Buffer (0x13)
                                {
                                    "AMD Radeon HD 6570"
                                }, 
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

Thank you very much.

I patched my DSDT for HD6570 (and AppleALC - LayoutID 11); and in Clover set Framebuffer-Name to "Pithecia": graphics, onboard and HDMI sound appear to be working. The computer goes to sleep, and will wake up; but the screen remains blank. In order to have an active screen the computer has to be rebooted.

I also tried using the Bulrushes, and Gibba frame-buffers but the computer screen still remains blank on wake-up.

PS:

If  the computer is not allowed to sleep, and the "hard disk is  not allowed to sleep when possibe"; the display can be set to sleep, and wakes up correctly.

Good comment for other users. Please provide explanation for kext editing !

Works also with Sierra ???

You have to take the IO8211Family.kext under S/L/E. Open it and under Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist add the lines <string>pci168c,2d</string> and <string>pci168c,2e</string>. Now install Kext and reboot and have fully working WLAN under Sierra! It never drops bandwidth or anything!

TP-Link TL-WN851ND

• Like 3

Hi folks, 

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It has helped me greatly and now have my 760 Sff running 10.12.1 with no major issues. First impressions are good with it seeming a smoother OS than EL cap. I am running wireless USB TL-WN822N and the connection seems considerably more stable. One slight annoyance would be with the new Graphics card I have bought. I have the Evga GT 710 and it is running fine OOB with full acceleration. The annoyance is that when I look at my "about this mac" it reports the card as 0Mb even through it is a 2GB card. Anyone have any suggestions to resolve this. 

post-1425738-0-31261200-1479858387_thumb.jpg

Hi Polyzargone, 

Can you provide me with the method you used to update your dell755 to sierra. I have updated a 760 but when I try update a 755 the system is just hanging on the apple logo and when I start in Verbose mode I just get a black screen with just a line of stars that runs halfway across the screen. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Works like a charm :

hs2b81X.png

Updated strtaight from El Capitan using "Intsall macOS Sierra.app" from Application folder. All kexts were moved to CLOVER/kexts/Other and now using AppleALC.kext instead of realtekALC.kext.

:thumbsup_anim:

Hi Polyzargone, 

Can you provide me with the method you used to update your dell755 to sierra. I have updated a 760 but when I try update a 755 the system is just hanging on the apple logo and when I start in Verbose mode I just get a black screen with just a line of stars that runs halfway across the screen. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Note that I updated a 760 SFF Optiplex and not a 755 system ;).

Make sure your CPU supports SSE4,1 instruction set and that your SMBios is not MacPro3,1 or any unsupported Mac models by Sierra. Like many others here, I use iMac10,1 on my 760 and it works fine.

As for the method, it's just like what I said : "Updated straight from El Capitan using "Intsall macOS Sierra.app" from Application folder. All kexts were moved to CLOVER/kexts/Other and now using AppleALC.kext instead of realtekALC.kext."

No more, no less.

Post your whole EFI folder here and please provide full specs of your 755 system so we can check everything's OK.

Hey Folks, 

Thanks polyzargone, it was my CPU and I have updated it and now have my 755 running sierra with a gt 710 card. I have always copied my voodoohda .kext when updating my 755 but I have noticed that in Sierra the sound using voodoohda is very poor (static) despite tweaking the settings within voodoohda pref. Also siri does not work with voodoohda. I have tried using the on the fly audio (post #1) but I get no audio even though this has worked on my 760. Has anybody any method that works on the plex 755. Has anyone tried Macpeets method on #41.  I do not understand what step 6 is.  

The audio solutions for Optiplex 760/780 do not work with an Optiplex 755! The 755 has a different device. Please do not follow the instructions for 760/780 !!!!!!!!!!

In the Optiplex Capitan thread I had patched for 755.

Edit:
Update-safe method for TP-Link TL-WN851ND

Updated my Optiplex 755's CPU to a Q9560 and was able to install Sierra just fine with Clover and 10.12 zip with the FakeSMC, Intel82566MM, realtekALC and USB_Injector kexts.  One major issue I seem to be having is that it randomly freezes hard and I'm not sure where to look in the logs to troubleshoot.  It doesn't reboot with a message saying that it restarted because of a problem, I have to hold down the power button and then reboot it, I've looked in the logs directory under Library and I see a few messages about _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency but nothing that looks too alarming before the freeze.  I know I had this similar behavior whenever I disabled the Serial Ports under El Capitan, under Network, but as long as I kept them active it gave me no issues.  I should also mention I have one of those TPL Wireless Cards that doesn't work properly it shows the wireless network icon in the top menu but no networks show.

Updated my Optiplex 755's CPU to a Q9560 and was able to install Sierra just fine with Clover and 10.12 zip with the FakeSMC, Intel82566MM, realtekALC and USB_Injector kexts.  One major issue I seem to be having is that it randomly freezes hard and I'm not sure where to look in the logs to troubleshoot.  It doesn't reboot with a message saying that it restarted because of a problem, I have to hold down the power button and then reboot it, I've looked in the logs directory under Library and I see a few messages about _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency but nothing that looks too alarming before the freeze.  I know I had this similar behavior whenever I disabled the Serial Ports under El Capitan, under Network, but as long as I kept them active it gave me no issues.  I should also mention I have one of those TPL Wireless Cards that doesn't work properly it shows the wireless network icon in the top menu but no networks show.

[uPDATE] Removal of my Wireless card that wasn't working and the modem card seem to have stabilized things, its no longer freezing 

@Deanor30

Try this:

File deleted, no longer relevant!

1. reinstall original vanilla AppleHDA (the patched version does not go with AppleALC!)
2. Change LayoutID 1 to 28 (1C) in DSDT / HDEF,
3. Install trial AppleALC.kext to S/L/E and rebuild cache (for Install SIP: CsrActiveConfig 0x67 in Clover's config.plist)

Reboot and hopefully rejoice over sound.

Note: If they can not change your DSDT, then please post here and I'll make it.
                           "layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            },

Please report, if it works then I can implant this codec in the next AppleALC release.

Hello Mirone, yes, my is XFX.

currently in the: Esprimo P3510: C2Q Q8200  2,33GHz  HD6570 1GB to Beamer  HDD  10.12.2 DP Beta 4 16C53a

These ones:

https://www.root86.com/collections/item/162-amd-radeon-hd-6570-1gb-passiv/

https://www.root86.com/collections/item/162-amd-radeon-hd-6570-1gb-passiv/?tab=images

@Deanor30

No, AppleALC is update-safe. No problem.

For updates of course always disable SIP, then no problems.

Which connections work with the sound? Can you load images from DPCIManager / Status and System Settings / Sound (Input and Output)?
  • Like 1