[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

Yes, without SSE4 support it does not work.

Update:

macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta 1 (16B2327e) works without problems

Works without SSE4? What do you mean? At which machine works? With which cpu?

Yes, without SSE4 support it does not work.

Ok, had to check if someone personally have tried because of this post from Pike:

"What I found in the kernel is the old fpu switch for SSE/SSE2 but the string SSE4(.1/2) is not used anywhere in the kernel. The SSE4.2 CRC32 instruction is also not used in the kernel so it may actually not be that bad for old hardware after all."

I may try this out on my Optiplex 755 to see if 10.12 works if not then 10.11.6 will be the end of the road for the 755.

Naah, for a few bucks just buy a E8400 or E8600 (both have SSE4.1 instruction set) put it in a 755 and go with macOS Sierra! :

Ok, had to check if someone personally have tried because of this post from Pike:

"What I found in the kernel is the old fpu switch for SSE/SSE2 but the string SSE4(.1/2) is not used anywhere in the kernel. The SSE4.2 CRC32 instruction is also not used in the kernel so it may actually not be that bad for old hardware after all."

What exactly system do you have? If you have success please make an new thread or pm me. Thanks. 

Last night i tried to install Stable version of Sierra with Clover 3659 and 3761 at my Optiplex 760 and i had no success. Beta was installed , stable it was impossible. Maybe it is Clover, or maybe it is fake smc kext who need update. 

Any ideas?

Did someone tried the first stable with success?

The alternative:

I use on my Dell Optiplex already AppleALC method:

AppleALC_1.0.14.RELEASE.zip or later (LayoutID 11 for Dell Optiplex 780/760)

1. Install back the original AppleHDA to S/L/E
2. Install the AppleALC to S/L/E
3. Delete all AppleHDA Kext-to-patch entries in Clover
4. delete realtekALC.kext of Clovers kext folder
5. add bootflag -alcbeta
post-1358580-0-93495800-1474794523_thumb.png
6. Change LayoutID of 1 to 11 (DSDT HDEF 0B)
7. rebuild cache and reboot

Edit:
With AppleALC 1.0.16.Release and macOS-Final the bootflag -alcbeta is no longer necessary.
  • Like 1

I have been patiently waiting for this Guide to be Updated to the stable Sierra released on 20 September.

​When will it be updated?

​Step 2 will be different path.

Step 6 assumes we have El Capitan "kexts", what if it is a fresh install with no prior installation of El Capitan?

​How do I install if I have no access to a mac to begin with?

@runo, I'm sure MacPeet will polsh the guide as soon as he grabs some time for it.

In the meantime, don't be so lazy :P

Step 2 - createinstallmedia is here since Mavericks and the guideline is

createinstallmedia --volume volumepath --applicationpath installerpath

So in this case it is

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

If we assume that you erased your USB without any change in Disk Utility, so the name of it is Untitled.

If you don't want Terminal to ask you if you would like to erase your USB named Untitled, than you add -nointeraction at the end of the line.

Step 6. All you need is in the .zip file at the end of this first post.

Lastly, you can make OS X Install USB from Windows and Linux, which ever you prefer, just search the forum for the guides.

Lastly, you can make OS X Install USB from Windows and Linux, which ever you prefer, just search the forum for the guides.

I searched for this and found no success. There is a Install USB from Windows utility made by chris1111 but he closed the thread and deleted all download links! And another utility BDutility.exe tries to download some strange recovery file instead of using the "Install macOS Sierra.app" file I downloaded from torrent website. And the virtualbox way I dont know what mac ISO is safe and virus-free to use. With Transmac.exe utility I cant use the .app file, it requires a .dmg file I dont have.

Is this site for Sierra download trustworthy? http://www.mac-torrent-download.net/application/utility/macos-sierra-10-12-16a323-installer/

I am confused. I thought mac is supposed to be user friendly. Please help me. I have both Windows and Linux, no Mac yet.

Macs and OS X are very user friendly, but you  have to remember that we're not dealing with Macs here, we're building hackintosh machines (doing something that isn't meant to be done). :)

Here's tutorial for Windows (post number 18): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288795-guide-creating-os-x-usb-installer-using-a-windows-pc-only/?p=2012539

and here is for Linux: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293168-guide-how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-109-mavericks-usb-install-drive-on-linux/

P.S. I too didn't have Mac or Hack at the time of my first hackintosh attempt, so i have built installer from Linux. I was using Mountain Lion, but it worked.

Edit:

One more thing i see you're having trouble with - OS X apps are mostly standalone packages, so you have to look at them almost like Windows folders... Sort of...

So dmg file (image file) is located in Install Mac OS X "what ever".app/Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg

That is what you're looking for here.

• Like 1

Here's tutorial for Windows (post number 18): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288795-guide-creating-os-x-usb-installer-using-a-windows-pc-only/?p=2012539

and here is for Linux: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293168-guide-how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-109-mavericks-usb-install-drive-on-linux/

Mac OS X "what ever".app/Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg

That is what you're looking for here.

Thanks! Those links are for installing Mavericks, do they work for Sierra too?

And steps 3 and 9 for Optiplex talk on installing Clover to the hard drive, without saying how, how to do that? What on earth is DP1/2/3, when I downloaded Clover from sourceforge it has no DP on it.

Do I install the Clover after or before installing Sierra using a bootable USB when I have successfully made one?

I tried extracting the InstallESD.dmg using linux and it had error during extracting, I think I need to try it using 7zip or something.

Naah, for a few bucks just buy a E8400 or E8600 (both have SSE4.1 instruction set) put it in a 755 and go with macOS Sierra! :

Works on my 755 with an E7300 ;)  E7600 has the highest multiplier (11.5) if you want to do the BSEL mod from 1066 to 1333 fsb for approx 3.8ghz (I don't think 755's can do 1600 fsb).

• Like 2

@runo

I don't think they will work in Sierra - Linux one doesn't work for Yosemite and up and i have never tried Windows method.

You should forget about this topic, for now, and get your Optiplex up and running with something older that you have links for Win/Linux installation.

After that, Sierra will be breeze, because you will have working Mac so to speak.

DP i short for Developer Preview and it has nothing to do with Clover, it's version of Mac OS before it reaches GM (Gold Master) a.k.a Final Release.

Why MacPeet is mentioning that is that older Clover versions can't boot newer OS's.

You can use your bootable USB after installation to boot your hackintosh (because you'll have boot files already on USB, Clover or Chameleon).

In Linux you will use 7zip for all your extractions, so i don't really know what you mean by that? Just be sure to install "p7zip-full" from terminal or synaptic package manager (whatever you're using).

We're really going OFF topic here, so it would be best to open topic about your problem or give it a good read and install Mountain Lion or Mavericks on your Optiplex, so you could work with Sierra and ask for help  in here.

Works on my 755 with an E7300 ;)  E7600 has the highest multiplier (11.5) if you want to do the BSEL mod from 1066 to 1333 fsb for approx 3.8ghz (I don't think 755's can do 1600 fsb).

For the moment i fainted here! :)

E7300 still has the SSE4.1 instruction set, so no surprises there. Yes, AFAIK, 1333fsb is max for 755.

• Like 1