[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

@runo

Optiplex is an older computer. Intel 4600 is much newer. What performance do you expect? For office and Internet still very good. An HD5770 would be better, but the Optiplex does not provide the power supply. For more performance you have to buy something new, for example Skylake. Old CPU and board with latest graphics also makes no sense.

@wood96

We do not support must ibea st. Go for instructions here in Post #1 or after Guide Optiplex Capitan, then it works with you.

Update:

macOS Sierra 10.12.1 DP Beta 4 and 5 --> no problem

Works on my 755 with an E7300 ;)  E7600 has the highest multiplier (11.5) if you want to do the BSEL mod from 1066 to 1333 fsb for approx 3.8ghz (I don't think 755's can do 1600 fsb).

I have a 755 with a E6750 that I'm planning to upgrade to Q9560, I think this should be pretty straight forward since the E6750 already has a 1333 fsb :/.  In order for your 755 to work with Sierra did you have to use a usb_injector.kext?  In my El Capitan install under clover in my EFI partition I have usb_injector.kext, FakeSMC.kext and a realtekALC.kext.  Did you use any of these other ones as well?

I have a 755 with a E6750 that I'm planning to upgrade to Q9560, I think this should be pretty straight forward since the E6750 already has a 1333 fsb :/.  In order for your 755 to work with Sierra did you have to use a usb_injector.kext?  In my El Capitan install under clover in my EFI partition I have usb_injector.kext, FakeSMC.kext and a realtekALC.kext.  Did you use any of these other ones as well?

For front usb you should use the usb_injector, and yes you need FakeSMC as well, but you can use another audio method than realtekALC, therefore read the posts before.

For Sierra with SSE4 support Core2Duo from Wolfdale E7200 or higher and Core2Quad from Q8200 or higher.

SMBIOS iMac10.1, not MacPro3,1

Clover for example Clover_v2.3k_r3773 or later

FakeSMC version 6.21.1412
USB_Injector.kext from post#1

After the install:
Audio: (unchanged original AppleHDA), then AppleALC.kext to S/L/E (LayoutID 11 - DSDT HDEF 0B)

I have Sierra installed on my 755 Optiplex but I cannot get the WebDrivers to output to my hdmi tv and it worked perfectly in 10.11.6, I have the NVIDIAWeb=True command enabled and I still get no signal to my tv. Any help would be appreciated. 

EDIT:GPU is a 750Ti that worked perfectly in 10.11.6

Apple has removed native support for some Nvidia video cards in Sierra.

Web drivers probably a problem with SMBIOS iMac10.1

Maybe you have to go higher

WebDrivers Release Notes Archive:

This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010) users.

BETA support is for iMac 14,2 / 14,3 (2013), iMac 13,1 / 13,2 (2012) and MacBook Pro 11,3 (2013), MacBook Pro 10,1 (2012), and MacBook Pro 9,1 (2012) users.

@MacPeet I will give it a shot to see if a higher smbios would work, I thought 10,1 was the highest the optiplex can go, but I will give it a go. Of my three hackintoshes the optiplex is my oldest one and has been solid for years so I hope to keep its life useful.

• 2 weeks later...

MacPeet I need to know,

There are different types of Dell Optiplex 780. Mine is the SFF (small form factor) 780 motherboard. Does your kexts and files work on the SFF version? I ask because the USB is still very slow after copying the kexts you provided.

Hello @polyzargone

I success install Sierra in optiplex 780 but need to use SMBIOS IMAC 14.2 to detect GT 710. But keyboard and mouse not detect when going higher. any advise?

You need to edit USB_Injector.kext and replace every iMac10,1 occurrences by iMac14,2 in info.plist > IOKitPersonalities

I made one, try it :

USB_Injector_iMac14_2.kext.zip

• Like 1

@runo

The USBInjector.kext for SMBIOS iMac10,1 is the same as from the Capitan thread. No problems here with me with 780MT. The chipset is identical in both.

Try alternative DSDT and other files from the Capitan thread Post # 1 !!!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308097-guide-el-capitan-1011x-dell-optiplex-780-760-755-790/page-1

Update:

10.12.2 DP Beta 2 16C41b --> no problem

Well, I am about ready to take the plunge here. Probably going to need MacPeets help with my Optiplex 790 Audio.

I am going to backup the partition first. Then give it a try.

Edit: I have downloaded the installer twice. Both times I have started install I get an error, "The installer payload failed signature check".

KP CPUPower ...

Try SMBIOS iMac14,2 (or 14,1) and USB_Injector from post # 113! Fits better to the i7.

Very little info's for us.
If direct update, then all the kext's in /10.11/ and /10.12/ or /others/ ???
Your Clover version ?
FakeSMC version ? (6.21.1412)
DSDT and config.plist of Capitan not changed?
SIP disable (0x67) ?

Update:
10.12.2 DP Beta 3 16C48b --> works, no problem

Hello, my first post!  ;)

I'm running macOS Sierra on a DELL Optiplex 755 with injected PNY NVIDIA 9800 GT graphics card. It has some kind of acceleration, but no metal support. It's a second generation Hackintosh - first MacOS X was El Capitan from the insanelymac guide. I am using a German "normal" QWERTZ PC keyboard. To have all characters where their supposed to be, I am using a program - Ukelele - to modify the keyboard layout.

Everything really works fine - except a leak in running a PCIe WiFi card.

I tried to get to work a TP-Link WDN4800 - Revision 1.0. It's working very fine on 802.11 a/b/g/n on a live Linux but it does not on MacOS X/macOS. It is recognised but the WiFi logo is grey and there are no networks to be found. On terminal a kextstat | grep atheros gives information that the driver is loaded. A  tail -F /var/log/system.log shows

'ATHR: unknown locale: 21' message updated every time I search for networks. The device of course is switched on - I checked it with networksetup.

I Googled with ixquick and found that the most likely error is the EEPROM wich is using an unknown locale variable. So the supposed solution is to Kext Patch the io80211Family.kext for this case the AirPortAtheros40 binary. Applying that with Clover made the locale fixed, but it didn't work, too. Does anyone of you DELL Optiplex Mac users having experiences with the TP-Link WDN4800 WiFi card and does someone know how to fix my desired one or another WiFi know to work in Sierra? (USB WiFi would be appreciated too)

great thanks!  :thumbsup_anim:

My specs: Optiplex 755, CPU: Core2Quad Q9450, 8GB RAM, two 250 GB Seagate HDD's one with MacOS X El Capitan 10.11.6 with latest Updates other one with macOS Sierra 10.12.1 latest updates, PNY Nvidia 9800 GT with graphics injected, Display: DELL 1703FP - no HDCP, SMBIOS: iMac10,1 late 2009

Many old graphics cards can not be metal support, but working with Sierra, everything is fine.

Was hast Du mit der Tastatur vor?

Very funny with WLAN. I use this here in the Optiplex 780 and my real MacPro, both work OOB.

Tested graphics cards with Sierra:

My HD6570: works OOB including HDMI audio

Are you using the standard DSDT.aml?

I substituted my - perfectly working - HD5450 for a HD6570 (using the DSDT.aml for a HD5450)  which results in a black screen (when Sierra loads).