[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

@MacPeet..Could you please advise me on below issue?

"I did manage to install Sierra and Windows 10 on same drive (only have one HDD as of now). I am not able to dualboot without the Sierra install USB. I have tried installing Clover on the Sierra drive, but at startup, the PC still boot directly into Windows 10. Could someone please help with this issue? What else do I need to do?"

Beta 1 10.13.1 17B25c works well on my Optiplex780.

Two-stage update via appstore.
The HD5450 needs the rollback of the 4 Kext's from the Sierra.
NightShift is still working on the beta6 patch.

:thumbsup_anim:  :wub:

Weird, while my Optiplex 790 SFF had no issues whatsoever with a clean install of the 10.13 GM release, attempting to update to the 10.13.1 Public Beta release has been a complete joke and never gets past the initial reboot.

No issues here on my 790 SFF with 10.13.1. Explain "never gets past the initial reboot".

Edit: nevermind, just replied to your post in High Sierra release thread.

mouse and keyboard stopped and still black screen

That's because you probably using USB_Injector.kext, which is configured for imac10,1.

Either revert back to imac10,1 or change all references to imac10,1 to imac13,1 in USB_Injector.kext's info,plist

Try https://sourceforge.net/projects/nvidiagraphicsfixup/and https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases

Alternatively try nvidia's webdrivers

No issues here on my 790 SFF with 10.13.1. Explain "never gets past the initial reboot".

Hey!

So I did manage to get High Sierra Installed but seems like audio is broken! 

it sees only "internal speakers" as output! Ivd tried using my kexts from Sierra but those don't work either...

EFI Folder is at this link :

https://ufile.io/inu0f

That's because you probably using USB_Injector.kext, which is configured for imac10,1.

Either revert back to imac10,1 or change all references to imac10,1 to imac13,1 in USB_Injector.kext's info,plist

Try https://sourceforge.net/projects/nvidiagraphicsfixup/and https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases

Alternatively try nvidia's webdrivers

i tried all of that but still black screen, i can boot with nv_disable=1 but the resolution is low 

Hey!

So I did manage to get High Sierra Installed but seems like audio is broken! 

it sees only "internal speakers" as output! Ivd tried using my kexts from Sierra but those don't work either...

Really strange thing. It should work...

Really strange thing. It should work...

Upon further testing, auto switching works, I plugged in headphones to the front port and voila audio through front port!

But nothing through the back port seems to work! Also the auto switch is detected! If no headphones then it shows "internal speakers"

but if I plug in headphones then it showing headphone! 

EDIT: Fixed! Rolled back appleHDA.kext to Sierra vanilla and it works for some reason! Thanks :0 

post-33882-0-29738800-1506818513_thumb.png

Guest ricoc90

Upon further testing, auto switching works, I plugged in headphones to the front port and voila audio through front port!

But nothing through the back port seems to work! Also the auto switch is detected! If no headphones then it shows "internal speakers"

but if I plug in headphones then it showing headphone! 

EDIT: Fixed! Rolled back appleHDA.kext to Sierra vanilla and it works for some reason! Thanks :0

There shouldn't be no need to roll back any kexts, so you didn't really fix it I'm afraid. You just worked around the actual problem  :blush:

For me it works fine on High Sierra.

Firstly thank you for your replies both on this thread and the "High Sierra release" thread.   Since this relates exclusively to my Optiplex hacks, I thought it best that I reply here.  I am reporting back after successfully identifying the issues I was encountering in attempting to update to the macOS 10.13.1 Public Beta 1 release.    Among the multitude of PC hacks I own, I have two (2) 790 SFF machines.   Both are 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 CPUs, one has a Nvidia GT 720 1 GB GPU and 16 GB's of RAM, the other has a ATI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB GPU and 12 GB's of RAM.   Both have A18 Bios installed.   I was getting the dreaded "AppleACPICPU" kext stall initially on both machines during the 2nd boot when trying to update to 10.13.1 Public Beta 1.    Unfortunately google listed solutions in addressing the error didn't fix the issue though in the Nvidia GT 720, I discovered that maybe perhaps during migration the residual of 10.12.6 Nvidia Web drivers were present in the System/Library/Extension folder.    Since macOS 10.13 runs the GT 720 natively, removing them as well as both the NvidiaGraphicsFixup as well as the Lillu.kext, which are also not needed, finally allowed the update to go through.

I must say however that compared to the initial 10.13 17A362a install, the 10.13.1 Public Beta 1 update is far less stable and I was forced to add "-v" in arguments in order to get the system to boot with any consistency.   I never was able to get the ATI Radeon HD 5450 past the AppleACPICPU kext stall.     I don't know if it is due to the fact as I am not a big fan of rolling back kexts as MacPeet recommends though I have instead preferred using the Frame Buffer Eulemur and injecting The Fake ID 68E01002 in Clover which has also worked in any macOS 10.13 version I have installed thus far.   Anyway I finally just gave up attempting to apply the 10.13.1 Public Beta 1 update on my ATI Radeon HD 5450 790 Optiplex SFF and elected to instead upgrade that machine to the macOS 10.13 17A365 Public GM.

@Quinzie XO

For the new Codec LayoutID 13 for Optiplex780/760 and LayoutID 16 for Optiplex790 is "internal speakers = back green".

@gpatpandp

"AppleACPICPU" -Error -> FakeSMC has not been loaded. All your Kext's to EFI/Clover/kexts/others/
In the second install phase, you can not be loaded by ... /10.13/

Rollback HD5450, HD6570, HD5770 or other AMD graphics:

Optiplex790 with i7, i5, ..., with iGPU as an injector does not need a rollback.

Only Optiplex with Core2Duo, Core2Quad have no Injector-iGPU. Only these require the rollback.
Unfortunately, WhatEverGreen + Lilu only works with EFI-Bios, therefore no solution.

@ernani

Solution for High Sierra -> red login screen after rollback Kext's from the Sierra:

replace com.apple.desktop.admin.png in /Library/Caches/

post-1358580-0-01005900-1507130196_thumb.png

@Deanor30

Line In (back port) presumably only pre-amplified mic's
try external mic at the front

or try this:

DSDT, I have changed to LayoutID 13 (0D):

and...

trial AppleALC:

output's:
internal speaker is the rear port (green)
Automatic changeover to headphones when connected to front

input's:
internal mic is the front mic port
LineIn is the rear input

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue now where my Optiplex 780 Hack loses ethernet after waking from sleep. It shows a good IP, but it won't connect. Do I need to update my driver? I'm using the AppleIntel1000e kext referenced in the first post... I tried the BCM5722D.kext I found elsewhere on this site, but it didn't do the job. I have read that using a 10/100 switch rather than a gigabit switch will also impact this, but I'm experiencing the problem with both types of switches. Any advice would be welcome.

I'm having an issue now where my Optiplex 780 Hack loses ethernet after waking from sleep. It shows a good IP, but it won't connect. Do I need to update my driver? I'm using the AppleIntel1000e kext referenced in the first post... I tried the BCM5722D.kext I found elsewhere on this site, but it didn't do the job. I have read that using a 10/100 switch rather than a gigabit switch will also impact this, but I'm experiencing the problem with both types of switches. Any advice would be welcome.

Try IntelMausie in Downloads section