Easy installation of El Capitan (10.11.5) in 5960X CPU!

297 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I bring you today an easy installation of the latest El Capitan (10.11.5) with the CPU 5960X (16 cores)  :hyper: installed on  ASUS X99 Deluxe U3.1 motherboard with a Nvidia GTX 908 Ti !!

(Versão em Português aqui)

Once installed, the following features are 100% operational:

• 1 x Ethernet adapter + Wlan @ 5Ghz adapter
  • All USB3.0 ports available
  • Nvidia 980ti working with 3 monitors and sound AppleHDA + functional HDMI
  • CPU energy management operation from 1.2Ghz to 4.5GHz
  • Bluetooth, AirDrop, Facetime, iMessage all workin and much faster than in 10.10.5 (Yosemite) !!
  • Without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext the VoodooTSCSync.kext the IOPCIFamily.kext (modified) and without a modified kernel - The case of Yosemite in 5960X ...

Requirements:

• "Install OS X El Capitan.app" downloaded and installed in the Applications folder
  • Get the app "El Capitan HD.zip" here
  • Access to a Mac/Hackintosh already with El Capitan installed and with SIP turned off, as described here
  • An EMPTY SSD/hard disk on SATA/USB - If not empty, the "El Capitan HD" will format it completely !!
  • Access to the Serial Number, ROM and MLB on a real mac

• Brumbaer, stinga11, chris1111, the Clover team, onmybikedrunk, jamiethemorris, pokenguyen and many, many more  :drool: ...

Installation:

1 - Download the file "Comprimido.zip", which contains the Kexts, tools and EFI folder already pre-configured here and decompress on your downloads folder of your Mac/Hackintosh. Then configure the BIOS 3101 of the ASUS X99 Deluxe as per the screen snapshots stored here.

2 - Run the application "El Capitan HD.app" to install the basic configuration of El Capitan into an EMPTY SSD/hard disk:

2.1 - Enter your password at about 4%

2.2 - Wait for the end, such as:

post-105782-0-14315200-1464453545_thumb.jpg

3 - Use the "Clover Configurator.app" application to mount the EFI partition.

3.1 - "Mount EFI"

3.2 - "Check Partition"

3.3 - Search by type identifier "/dev/diskX" disk that contains the partition "Macintosh-HD"

3.4 - "Mount EFI partition/diskXs1"

post-105782-0-39461800-1464453544_thumb.jpg

4 - Install the latest CLOVER v2.3:

4.1 - Run CLOVER v2.3 application and install it on to the disk "Macintosh HD," with the following options:

post-105782-0-81927200-1464453543_thumb.jpgpost-105782-0-23196700-1464453543_thumb.jpg

4.2 - Use the "Finder" file manager to copy the files:

4.2.1 - <ZIP directory>/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/*.* to the folder EFICLOVER/ACPI/

4.2.2 - <ZIP directory>/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to the folder EFI/CLOVER/

4.2.3 - <ZIP directory>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/FakeSMC.kext to the folder EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/

4.2.4 - <ZIP directory>/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to the folder /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

5 - Use the application "KCPM Pro.app Utility" to install the Kexts onto the "Macintosh HD" disk and then repair its file permissions  and rebuild the kext Caches:

• AppleGraphicsControl.kext (changed already to SMBIOS 6.1)
  • AppleIntelE1000e.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • X99_Injector.kext

post-105782-0-76271100-1464453542_thumb.jpgpost-105782-0-92551500-1464453541_thumb.jpg

6 - Start the PC with the new 10.11.5 installed, by selecting UEFI OS (P1:xxxxxx)

6.1 - In CLOVER boot menu, select "Boot Mac OS X from Macintost-HD"

post-105782-0-30625700-1464453576_thumb.jpg

6.2 - Setup the country and don't setup yet your AppleID

6.3 - Setup a new user

6.4 - Login and then run the application "Kext utility.app" and wait for the end of its operations:

post-105782-0-27970000-1464453558_thumb.jpeg

6.5 Drag and drop the "LegacyUSBHub.kext" (for USB3.0) and "AppleHDA.kext" (changed to ALC1150) onto the window of "Kext utility" and wait for it to end its operations:

post-105782-0-95176100-1464453558_thumb.jpeg

6.6 - Re-start the PC

9 - Install Nvidia Driver Web - http: //us.download.n...46.03.10f02.pkg

9.1 - Install the Nvidia CUDA - http: //www.nvidia.co....29-driver.html

9.2 - Re-start the PC

10 - To configure iMessage/FaceTime its necessary to extract various data from a real Mac:

10.1 - Check that the Ethernet network card is set to "en0" by running the "DPCIManager.app" application:

post-105782-0-70335300-1464453540_thumb.jpg

10.2 - Re-do step 3 again to mount the EFI partition

10.3 - Navigate to 

and follow the steps to extract (from a true Mac) the following data:
  • Serial Number, SmUUID and Board Serial Number - used for "Clover Configurator.app" application in the "SMBIOS" section
  • ROM & MLB identifier - used for  "Clover Configurator.app" application in the "Rt Variables" section
  • (Using the "iMessageDebug" in a terminal window)

10.4 - Re-start the PC

Boa sorte,

Paulo

End results:

post-105782-0-26265800-1464500453_thumb.jpegpost-105782-0-81377000-1464453559_thumb.jpegpost-105782-0-06559700-1464500454_thumb.jpegpost-105782-0-93558800-1464453568_thumb.jpegpost-105782-0-41470200-1464453559_thumb.jpegpost-105782-0-39813500-1464453567_thumb.jpegpost-105782-0-65301300-1464500453_thumb.jpeg

Tests:

post-105782-0-69892500-1464453557_thumb.jpegpost-105782-0-14438700-1464453540_thumb.jpegpost-105782-0-44057000-1464453539_thumb.jpeg

Information sources:

Edited by augustopaulo
  • Like 7

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR EFFORT. 

One more Thing I just wondering about the clock of the CPU. I mean in your previous install on Yosemite the score was on Geekbench Almost 32000 you didn't overclock the system ??

Why its decreased that much ????

Thank you so much x99 nice guide.

augustopaulo Top.

Can you confirm AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext  loaded or not?

• Brumbaer, stinga11, fullerfun, onmybikedrunk, jamiethemorris, pokenguyen 

cocyri10.png

Also Thanks Clover Team !

Hi chris1111,

Apologies  :blush:

Had no intention of not crediting you (or anyone else in fact) or the the Clover team - credits have been updated in post.

Boas sorte,

Paulo

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR EFFORT. 

One more Thing I just wondering about the clock of the CPU. I mean in your previous install on Yosemite the score was on Geekbench Almost 32000 you didn't overclock the system ??

Why its decreased that much ????

Hi MMido, 

My hack is always overclocked to 4.5Ghz - want to get out the most "juice" from this monster  B)

On Yosemite, I hasn't using the "-xcpm" power management clover flag and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext was being loaded, not the the case now...

post-105782-0-07884200-1464502570_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt with El Capitan (10.1.5) on this hack, so I'm currently looking at other methods and experimenting a lot of BIOS/power management settings to try get close, or even improve, on my best performance scores achieved so far.

Feel free to contribute and I'll add it to the main post.

It still need to improve a lot things:

• Improve power management
  • Getting second ethernet to work
  • Airdrop works, but not as fast as on my Mac or iphone
  • Add proper CPU description in "About my Mac" section
  • Add all PCI boards in the PCI section of System Info
  • Try to get all my motherboards Fans (& other info) properly detected in HWMonitor
  • more...

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Thank you so much x99 nice guide.

augustopaulo Top.

Can you confirm AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext  loaded or not?

Hi nmano, 

Answered on previous post.

Boa sorte,

Paulo

• Like 2

Hi MMido, 

My hack is always overclocked to 4.5Ghz - want to get out the most "juice" from this monster  B)

On Yosemite, I hasn't using the "-xcpm" power management clover flag and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext was being loaded, not the the case now...

attachicon.gifSem nome.jpg

This is my first attempt with El Capitan (10.1.5) on this hack, so I'm currently looking at other methods and experimenting a lot of BIOS/power management settings to try get close, or even improve, on my best performance scores achieved so far.

Feel free to contribute and I'll add it to the main post.

It still need to improve a lot things:

• Improve power management
  • Getting second ethernet to work
  • Airdrop works, but not as fast as on my Mac or iphone
  • Add proper CPU description in "About my Mac" section
  • Add all PCI boards in the PCI section of System Info
  • Try to get all my motherboards Fans (& other info) properly detected in HWMonitor
  • more...

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Hi nmano, 

Answered on previous post.

Boa sorte,

Paulo

If You Try this with out XCPM with nullcpupowermanagement.kext

KernelAndKextPatches

FakeCPUID=0x0306E4

Its worked for me.

Hey, i followed your instructions but my "PC" didn't start the Setup.

I added -v to the bootflags and got only "++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++" and then everything stucks.

Got a i7 5820k and an ASUS X99-A/U3.1 Mainboard.

The BIOS Settings are quite the same as yours, except this overclocking.

Any ideas why it won't work for me?

If You Try this with out XCPM with nullcpupowermanagement.kext

KernelAndKextPatches

FakeCPUID=0x0306E4

Its worked for me.

Hi nmano, 

Great, great advice, thank you!!  :yes:

My CPU scores have jumped high, have a look below:

post-105782-0-90276200-1464542701_thumb.jpg

AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded and all CPUs flatline at 4.5Ghz under full load!  :drool:

I'll keep trying a bit more on BIOS settings...

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Hey, i followed your instructions but my "PC" didn't start the Setup.

I added -v to the bootflags and got only "++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++" and then everything stucks.

Got a i7 5820k and an ASUS X99-A/U3.1 Mainboard.

The BIOS Settings are quite the same as yours, except this overclocking.

Any ideas why it won't work for me?

Hi eSportler, 

I think the fact that you've got a different CPU is of great impact!

Unfortunately, I don't have one 5820k to try... 

Try to remove the SSDT.aml from "EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched", since this has been generated specifically for a 5960X...

Boa sorte, 

Paulo

• Like 2

Hi nmano,

Great, great advice, thank you!! :yes:

attachicon.gifSem nome 2.jpg

AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded and all CPUs flatline at 4.5Ghz under full load! :drool:

I'll keep trying a bit more on BIOS settings...

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Hi eSportler,

Try to remove the SSDT.aml from "EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched", since this has been generated specifically for a 5960X...

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Wait, you're saying aicpm is loaded even though you're using nullcpu?

I'm pretty sure you can get the same performance with xcpm but you have to modify x86platformplugin or make an injector kext for it. I don't know the details but I saw some discussion of it in the 5820k/5930k installation thread.

Hi nmano, 

Great, great advice, thank you!!  :yes:

attachicon.gifSem nome 2.jpg

AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded and all CPUs flatline at 4.5Ghz under full load!  :drool:

Enjoy :thumbsup_anim:

Hi eSportler, 

Boa sorte, 

Paulo

Very tricky to install El Capitan on a PC xD

But your advice won't work for me....

Maybe I have to wait until someone use the same hardware as me^^

Thanks for your work and your help :)

EDIT://

Found a tutorial with my hardware ;)

Installation is in progress :)

I'm pretty sure you can get the same performance with xcpm but you have to modify x86platformplugin or make an injector kext for it. I don't know the details but I saw some discussion of it in the 5820k/5930k installation thread.

Hi jamiethemorris, 

Yes, aicpm is getting loaded (and generating p-states from 12 to 45) and xcpm is not active, see below:

post-105782-0-85612200-1464621720_thumb.jpg

I'm just worried that I haven't got any c-states...

Boa sorte,

Paulo

• Like 2

Hi all, 

Another small success :)

Just managed to get the AppleIGB.kext (2nd ethernet card that wasn't working) loading by inserting its IOPCIMatch string/ID=0x12428086 (taken from DPCIManager), into the Info.plist inside the "Contents" folder of this kext, see below:

post-105782-0-08672500-1464634351_thumb.jpg

Now, all Asus X99 Deluxe network devices work: Wlan (en2), Ethernet (en0) & Ethernet 2 (en1)  :drool:

Also, as mentioned in above post, the Power Management scores have increase significantly with the help of nmano and by selecting new BIOS settings I was able to lower the average temperature by 5 degrees centigrate, so I'll update the main post in the near future.

Boa sorte,

Paulo

• Like 1

@jamiethemorris

NullCPUPowerManagement does not prevent aicpm from loading - is in fact only loaded, if aicpm is loaded first -, but changes the "hooks" so aicpm doesn't do anything.

On the same note AppleIntelInfo prints the contents of the P-state tables only, most likely it does not know whether they are used.

So both printouts show only what is loaded, not what's in use.

• Like 1

@jamiethemorris

NullCPUPowerManagement does not prevent aicpm from loading - is in fact only loaded, if aicpm is loaded first -, but changes the "hooks" so aicpm doesn't do anything.

On the same note AppleIntelInfo prints the contents of the P-state tables only, most likely it does not know whether they are used.

So both printouts show only what is loaded, not what's in use.

Hi Brumbaer,

First of all, let me take this opportunity to give you a  :thumbsup_anim: BIG THANKYOU  :star_smile:  for your fantastic work in getting the IOPCIFamily.kext to correctly load the 5960x CPU - Myself (& a few thousand more) were getting desperate to get El Capitan running on our rigs!!  :yoji:

Secondly, if I understood correctly your statements regarding the CPU power management, even though AICPM is loaded, its actually the NullCPUPowerManagement who is in charge of "apparently" controlling the CPU throttling, right ?

So my question is: how can we know effectively which one is controlling (not just loading) the CPU power/sleep states  (which tools/methods)?

Because, yesterday I did a small Cinebench/Geekbench comparison test with Windows10 64bits (same BIOS settings) and the Intel Power Gadget showed the CPU with only 2 frequencies: 1.2Ghz & 4.5Ghz...

This brought me back to the discussion I saw on this thread, where doubts were raised regarding if AppleIntelInfo.kext was actually print our the states without knowing of its use... 

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Before Skylake P-States have been exclusively handled by the OS . This means there is some program running that watches CPU usage and sets P-States accordingly. 

But there is no official on/off switch etc.

We know some "programs" tasked with setting P-States and what tables they use, so if they are running we conclude that P-States are used.

If xcpm is running, than we conclude that P-States are used.

If aicpm is running, we conclude P-States are used.

If aicpm or xcpm are running, we assume they use the ACPI P-State tables.

There are other symptoms for active P-States

If the Frequency in Intel Power Gadget varies, we conclude P-States are working.

But these conclusions do not have to be right. I.e. if NullCPUPowerManagement is loaded aicpm will not "work" despite the fact that aicpm got loaded. 

Frequency variation in IPG can result from C-States or Turbo State, and averaged over cores look like P-State effects.

AppleIntelInfo.kext is a debugging tool. It has been written to control the values of certain tables. So it outputs those tables (probably just the ACPI P-State tables)  whether they are used or not, and if what they are used for it neither knows nor cares.

If you really want to know whether P-States are active, you would continuously have to watch the P-State related MSRs for changes.

Unfortunately latest replies to this topic are disappeared and lost....but i can confirm that thunderbolt with ThunderboltEX II card works too with EC and augustopaulo guide.

I suggest to people who use that card don't update to the latest card firmware and stay with the first version 1.1

Apologies if this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know if there is a way to get the Asus or gigabyte thunderbolt cards to work on other mobos? My board is of course "thunderbolt ready" but evga has never made a card for it.

Unfortunately latest replies to this topic are disappeared and lost....but i can confirm that thunderbolt with ThunderboltEX II card works too with EC and augustopaulo guide.

I suggest to people who use that card don't update to the latest card firmware and stay with the first version 1.1

Hi thenightflyer, 

Thanks for your continuos support & tips for this guide  :lol:

Unfortunately, like you've mentioned, all posts made on page 2 of this guide have disappeared from Insanelymac... :(

I'll try to put some of them back, as I've kept some of my e-mail notifications of new replies.

I've precisely chosen the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi driver to enable as much as PCI devices as possible at boot time, as announced by Nick Woodhams on his site

Boa sorte,

Paulo

• Like 1

Apologies if this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know if there is a way to get the Asus or gigabyte thunderbolt cards to work on other mobos? My board is of course "thunderbolt ready" but evga has never made a card for it.

In another site i read about an user with an Asrock mainboard that uses Asus ThunderboltEX II card. I think that it's possible if the mainboard has the TB header on it. For example on my Asus X99-E-WS i cannot use the Hp thunderbolt card...

These are my ThunderboltEX II card bios settings:

thunderbolt 1-2.BMP

thunderbolt 2-2.BMP

In another site i read about an user with an Asrock mainboard that uses Asus ThunderboltEX II card. I think that it's possible if the mainboard has the TB header on it. For example on my Asus X99-E-WS i cannot use the Hp thunderbolt card...

yeah I've got a tb header. I guess I'll must have to try it and see if it works... I was just under the impression that they were locked to a specific vendor id or something.

I followed these great instructions (to the 'T' as best I can remember...twice) and at start-up the apple log appears, then the bar below the logo and then just a very small increment in the bar ... then reset/reboot!

In verbose mode, the computer (X99-Deluxe/5960X) the hang occurs at the dreaded [PCI configuration begin...and then about 5 seconds later reboot.

Any ideas at all? The system runs Yosemite flawlessly currently and I would love to move up to EC if possible with this cpu.

I followed these great instructions (to the 'T' as best I can remember...twice) and at start-up the apple log appears, then the bar below the logo and then just a very small increment in the bar ... then reset/reboot!

In verbose mode, the computer (X99-Deluxe/5960X) the hang occurs at the dreaded [PCI configuration begin...and then about 5 seconds later reboot.

Any ideas at all? The system runs Yosemite flawlessly currently and I would love to move up to EC if possible with this cpu.

Maybe you didn't set correctly your bios....it should work if you followed the guide step by step.

Hi Bradish, 

Without Brumbaer patch your system would almost immediately reboot upon [PCI Configuration Begin] and would not allow it to continue to boot process.

If you've setup the BIOS (as mentioned by thenightflyer) correctly and followed the guide, then I guess you must have some different HW component(s) that OSX is trying to load/find the right kext...

Is this happening on the first boot of the guide ?

Also, can you boot into the "Single User Verbose mode" of Clover ?

Can you put your HW components in your signature ?

Boa sorte,

Paulo

I have made adjustments to the BIOS (thanks thenhighflyer) and more progress is made, but same end result.

I am booting off of augustopaulo's installation sad/clover and have tried the -v -x -f combinations.

I will do anopther sad creation in case I made a mistake on the first creation and report back on this.

I must say if I can get the X99 running with EC then I will be ecstatic and thankful for all the help and suggestions...