Easy installation of El Capitan (10.11.5) in 5960X CPU!

297 posts in this topic

I am not using nullcpu kext and voodo kexts is in S/L/E

I got it working! I'm not quite sure what happened, but I seem to have broken through the "PCI Configuration Begin" wall. As for kexts, should I use both voodo and nullcpu to optimize for my CPU? What about fakecpuID? Also how can I tell if usb 3 is working? Update: when I tried to carbon copy clone my external HDD to the OSX partition on my internal M.2 NVMe (I also ran clover on the destination partition and copied my boot EFI folder to the destination EFI folder and put the NVMe kext in the clover EFI) I get this image when trying to boot (http://imgur.com/a/KnKvn). I know you had this issue before, and you fixed it by doing a complete reinstall, but I don't think I can do that since the drive is an M.2 so I can't really take it out of the computer since it's wedged underneath my liquid cooled graphics cards. Any ideas of what I can do?

I got it working! I'm not quite sure what happened, but I seem to have broken through the "PCI Configuration Begin" wall. As for kexts, should I use both voodo and nullcpu to optimize for my CPU? What about fakecpuID? Also how can I tell if usb 3 is working? Update: when I tried to carbon copy clone my external HDD to the OSX partition on my internal M.2 NVMe (I also ran clover on the destination partition and copied my boot EFI folder to the destination EFI folder and put the NVMe kext in the clover EFI) I get this image when trying to boot (http://imgur.com/a/KnKvn). I know you had this issue before, and you fixed it by doing a complete reinstall, but I don't think I can do that since the drive is an M.2 so I can't really take it out of the computer since it's wedged underneath my liquid cooled graphics cards. Any ideas of what I can do?

Not sure how many GPUs you got. bot I have 2 also watercooled and I can still get it out. However, even if you can get it out, how are you gonna install it? If you must take it out often then I suggest that u get an M.2 PCIE adaptor made by ASUS.

Im running El Capitan from a Samsung 950 NVME disk. Kexts did not work to get it running.

I copied the code from Pike

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/nvmefamily-kext-bin-patch-data-for-el-capitan/

and

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/07/01/help-my-nvme-show-up-as-external/

into Clover config. This works without any NVME kexts for booting. In Bios there is a very pure entry just "UEFI" for the NVME disc.

No problem using Carbon Copy Cloner with Samsung 950 NVME disc for all tasks!

• Like 3

Im running El Capitan from a Samsung 950 NVME disk. Kexts did not work to get it running.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/nvmefamily-kext-bin-patch-data-for-el-capitan/

and

into Clover config. This works without any NVME kexts for booting. In Bios there is a very pure entry just "UEFI" fosse r the NVME disc.

Hi Smallersen,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I'm planning on buying a SM961 as soon as I'm back from my holidays and update main installation post with this info, plus some great contributions from members of this thread, to include even the update instructions for 10.11.6.

Thanks all & keep up the support.

I'll be back in 2 weeks!

Boa sorte,

Paulo

• Like 3

and

into Clover config. This works without any NVME kexts for booting. In Bios there is a very pure entry just "UEFI" for the NVME disc.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Do you think you could post a screenshot of where the bios entry is for the nvme UEFI option? Also can you elaborate a little more on what you did? I'm not really sure where I should be pasting the patches (config.plist?). There's Red text saying "Stop" on the first link you posted, and to me it's a little unclear if PikerAlpha is saying not to use the "strings" patch or the "KextstoPatch" patch. Sorry for the stupid questions, but I really don't know much about this stuff, and you have to start learning somewhere lol

Hi darkghost568,

You have to copy the part within Piks scripts beginning with <dict ... until the last /dict>, without the array tags.

Within the clover config file the tag structure is always key-array-dict ... /dict-/array-/key.

Within config file find key "#KextsToPatch". Paste the text before the following end /array> (about 120 lines later when using augustopaulos file), adding several <dict ... /dict> tags within the arrow area.

I don´t know how to explain better.

For some reason there are several "&" within Pikes code. Replace all with a space character.

I attached the boot page from BIOS, but there is not much to see there. "UEFI OS" is the NVME, there is another 850 SSD which is my fallback system, but booting seems to be absolute reliable since I finished installation.

post-1621613-0-53644500-1469646869_thumb.jpg

Has anyone had any random acpiplatform panics? I just had one yesterday, it was working fine previously.... Started up again and it booted just fine. I don't know what to do and I have no idea why it happened.

Has anyone had any random acpiplatform panics? I just had one yesterday, it was working fine previously.... Started up again and it booted just fine. I don't know what to do and I have no idea why it happened.

Did you update to 10.11.6?

Did you update to 10.11.6?

Yes I did. I just installed El Cap like 3 days ago, updated from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6 yesterday. Everything was working fine it seemed, the last thing I did was get USB3 up and running. 

I booted into Windows to play some Overwatch, and then when I rebooted into OS X later I let it be figuring it would be in OS X by the time I got to work and I could remote into it to check everything. I couldn't connect to it, so I went home to check it out on my lunch and saw the kernel panic. I'm a dumbass and didn't take a picture, but it was nothing special really, just a kernel panic citing AppleACPIPlatform as the cause (I forget, can I look at my past kernel panic messages?).

I attempted to reboot and start troubleshooting the issue, but then... Nothing. No problems. I can't get it to panic again no matter how hard I try.

I switched USB3 from "Enabled" to "Smart Auto" in the BIOS, just in case it didn't like some of my USB2 devices being plugged into the USB3 ports. Hardly seems related though. 

On the bright side, I should consider myself pretty lucky this is the first kernel panic I've experienced with this hack which I've had about a year and a half. The same can't be said for my Mac Mini at work...

EDIT: Not sure if it's at all relevant, but after all this happened I booted into it and got an update notification for the Nvidia Web Drivers. Kind of odd since I already had upgraded them for 10.11.6. Thought perhaps that was worth noting.

Yes I did. I just installed El Cap like 3 days ago, updated from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6 yesterday. Everything was working fine it seemed, the last thing I did was get USB3 up and running. 

I booted into Windows to play some Overwatch, and then when I rebooted into OS X later I let it be figuring it would be in OS X by the time I got to work and I could remote into it to check everything. I couldn't connect to it, so I went home to check it out on my lunch and saw the kernel panic. I'm a dumbass and didn't take a picture, but it was nothing special really, just a kernel panic citing AppleACPIPlatform as the cause (I forget, can I look at my past kernel panic messages?).

I attempted to reboot and start troubleshooting the issue, but then... Nothing. No problems. I can't get it to panic again no matter how hard I try.

I switched USB3 from "Enabled" to "Smart Auto" in the BIOS, just in case it didn't like some of my USB2 devices being plugged into the USB3 ports. Hardly seems related though. 

On the bright side, I should consider myself pretty lucky this is the first kernel panic I've experienced with this hack which I've had about a year and a half. The same can't be said for my Mac Mini at work...

EDIT: Not sure if it's at all relevant, but after all this happened I booted into it and got an update notification for the Nvidia Web Drivers. Kind of odd since I already had upgraded them for 10.11.6. Thought perhaps that was worth noting.

After upgrading to 10.11.6 i had the same problem after booting to windows 10 disk and then to osx again. I had the same kernel panic....i solved in this way.

I have always 2 ssd running. The second one is used as backup of the main SSD with OSX because i use my rig as DAW so i cannot loose my projects or settings if i update osx or something else. So i always make a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner before updating from App Store. So i did before updating to 10.11.6

After the update and after nvidia web drivers update the system worked perfectly, but when i started with windows 10 disk and then again to the one where i have EC i had this kernel panic. So i booted form the cloned disk (with osx 10.11.6 too) and everything worked again. So i assumed that there was something wrong in the first disk. I cloned it with the working one and it didn't worked. I was in panic because i thought it was an hardware failure problem because it was strange that with the second clone i was able to boot to osx and with the first cloned as the working one not.

So i entered into the bios setting and in the Boot menu i saw that the order of my booting disks had changed. i put them in the correct order and i was able to boot again with the original ssd.

I cannot explain what happened but maybe something related to windows. Now after several attempts to boot in OSX and windows 10 the system works correctly and without any kp

Hey guys, I'm trying to get a dual boot of OSX and Windows 10 going on a single drive, but after I partition in the Windows installer, install windows to one partition, and try to reformat the second partition to Extended Journaled in OSX I get the error "Media Kit reports not enough space on device for requested operation." I read up on the someonemacx86 thread with the same title as what's in quotes, and it seems to be related to the EFI partition not being large enough. I've spent all night trying to either extend the EFI partition or make a new bigger one, but no luck. Has anyone attempted something similar? Any success?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get a dual boot of OSX and Windows 10 going on a single drive, but after I partition in the Windows installer, install windows to one partition, and try to reformat the second partition to Extended Journaled in OSX I get the error "Media Kit reports not enough space on device for requested operation." I read up on the someonemacx86 thread with the same title as what's in quotes, and it seems to be related to the EFI partition not being large enough. I've spent all night trying to either extend the EFI partition or make a new bigger one, but no luck. Has anyone attempted something similar? Any success?

Usually the first suggestion you can read in every hackintosh site is to install windows (expecially 10) and osx in 2 different drives. it's the best way to avoid problems....

Usually the first suggestion you can read in every hackintosh site is to install windows (expecially 10) and osx in 2 different drives. it's the best way to avoid problems....

It's no big deal, since this is a new build and it's my first time installing anything on this drive so I'm not loosing any data; I'd just prefer both OS's to be running on my M.2. If it's not plausible, I'll probably give up, but I figured it was worth a shot.

After upgrading to 10.11.6 i had the same problem after booting to windows 10 disk and then to osx again. I had the same kernel panic....i solved in this way.

I have always 2 ssd running. The second one is used as backup of the main SSD with OSX because i use my rig as DAW so i cannot loose my projects or settings if i update osx or something else. So i always make a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner before updating from App Store. So i did before updating to 10.11.6

After the update and after nvidia web drivers update the system worked perfectly, but when i started with windows 10 disk and then again to the one where i have EC i had this kernel panic. So i booted form the cloned disk (with osx 10.11.6 too) and everything worked again. So i assumed that there was something wrong in the first disk. I cloned it with the working one and it didn't worked. I was in panic because i thought it was an hardware failure problem because it was strange that with the second clone i was able to boot to osx and with the first cloned as the working one not.

So i entered into the bios setting and in the Boot menu i saw that the order of my booting disks had changed. i put them in the correct order and i was able to boot again with the original ssd.

I cannot explain what happened but maybe something related to windows. Now after several attempts to boot in OSX and windows 10 the system works correctly and without any kp

Dude. That is super bizzare. Glad to hear I'm not the only one it happened to though. Everything seems to be in order for the time being. I have booted back and forth several times since running the driver updates with zero issues... Really weird. Some weird interactions like this seem to happen occasionally between different OS now that we UEFI, with all of them writing to nvram and such.

I have a clone as well but it's on yosemite still until I can verify everything is working for a while. I should probably give that drive it's own clover installation since el capitan uses a different aptiofix - yosemite won't boot with the clover setup I'm using for el cap, I'm assuming that's probably the same for everyone.

• Like 1

Hey guys. I fixed the EFI problem I was having before by first partitioning in mac then booting from usb into gparted and erasing the windows partition I created in OSX, making it unallocated free space. Then I was able to install windows. I took thenightflyer's advice though, and gave up trying to dual boot from partitions on one drive, just to play it safe. Also partially because any time I tried to carbon copy clone my external drive onto one of my internal ones (this happened for both M.2 and SATA) I would always get (http://imgur.com/a/KnKvn). Although I didn't get a chance to try what fabiosun suggested in post #149. I generated a SSDT using Piker Alpha's script and put that in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and used the config.plist and nullcpu and voodoo kexts found in augustopaulo's post #69. I'm not overclocked on my 5960x, but I think my Geekbench scores haven't improved much since applying the patches (http://imgur.com/a/F0ui9). Did I miss a step and something isn't being loaded? Also, speedstep isn't enabled in my BIOS, but after the patches is it safe to enable it? Thanks for everyone's help so far and I'm happy to say that overall 10.11.6 is running great! :D

Hi

So are you usng Nullcpu kext?

Why can't you try what I say in post 149?

Start from new copied disk, in clover option you have to put in boot arg -f flags, then, in rt variables value tha I gave in that post, then start using new copied icon disk...you should solve in this way

to start if you have followed OP's guide you don't need of nullcpu kext or voodotsc kext

It's not that I couldn't, I just decided not to dual boot Windows and Mac off a single partitioned drive due to potential compatibility issues, before I got a chance to try what you suggested.

And yes, I am justing both the nullcpu and voodoo kexts, but my Geekbench is still only 27641

my curiosity is if you have tried in that error condition rt variables to know if it could work in that error condition

Yeah I agree, but I don't really want to wipe my drive and reinstall windows again now that all my data is on it, and I already have a working OSX drive

Got another kernel panic. It seems like it only happens when rebooting from Windows. Cold boots and reboots from OS X seem to be fine as far as I can tell. No idea where to start with this.bPumWqC.jpg

Got another kernel panic. It seems like it only happens when rebooting from Windows. Cold boots and reboots from OS X seem to be fine as far as I can tell. No idea where to start with this.bPumWqC.jpg

You're not alone lol. I don't get a kernel panic when I reboot from Windows in OSX, but the boot sequence crashes and reboots several times before it finally successfully boots. I don't have the crashes if I come rebooting directly from OSX.

@jamiethemorris it's something related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement... maybe windows changes something in bios settings. Did you install AI Suite in windows? Did you check the correct ssd/hd boot sequence in Boot menu?

PS a new bios for X99 Deluxe 3.1 has been released, versione 3301

@jamiethemorris it's something related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement... maybe windows changes something in bios settings. Did you install AI Suite in windows? Did you check the correct ssd/hd boot sequence in Boot menu?

PS a new bios for X99 Deluxe 3.1 has been released, versione 3301

I'll check the boot sequence tommorrow. What would I be looking for exactly? I know the primary boot drive has never changed as it has always booted into Clover as expected.

None of this ever happened before when I was on Yosemite, I'm wondering if Windows is writing something to the UEFI's NVRAM that El Capitan in particular doesn't like. I have an EVGA board so I don't use AI Suite. 

If the cold boot works, it will not be the nvram, which contents survives a cold boot.

On my system on a restart from OS X the power supply will be switched off automatically, in fact performing a cold boot.

A restart from Windows 10 doesn't do that. If it is the same with your system, I assume that some registers are not reset, which OS X expects to be in their "initial" state.

I'd try to tell your system (BIOS and Windows) to not fast boot. Hopefully forcing Windows to do a proper restart.

If the cold boot works, it will not be the nvram, which contents survives a cold boot.

On my system on a restart from OS X the power supply will be switched off automatically, in fact performing a cold boot.

A restart from Windows 10 doesn't do that. If it is the same with your system, I assume that some registers are not reset, which OS X expects to be in their "initial" state.

I'd try to tell your system (BIOS and Windows) to not fast boot. Hopefully forcing Windows to do a proper restart.

i just checked and I don't have a fast boot option in Windows, unless they moved the option for it recently

. I'm pretty sure I disabled the hibernation file so that's probably why.

Fast boot was already disabled in the BIOS, when I had that enabled it would get stuck on boot when the aptiofix driver loads.

I don't know if this is relevant at all, but I have probably a total of 8 or 9 internal drives which is abnormal for most setups - not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

i just checked and I don't have a fast boot option in Windows, unless they moved the option for it recently

. I'm pretty sure I disabled the hibernation file so that's probably why.

Fast boot was already disabled in the BIOS, when I had that enabled it would get stuck on boot when the aptiofix driver loads.

I don't know if this is relevant at all, but I have probably a total of 8 or 9 internal drives which is abnormal for most setups - not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Check in bios the proper hdd boot sequence...set the primary (with osx and clover) as first in Hard Disk BBS Priority menu too. Try this way and let me know

Check in bios the proper hdd boot sequence...set the primary (with osx and clover) as first in Hard Disk BBS Priority menu too. Try this way and let me know

thanks, I double checked that and it's set as it should be. I'm going to take a look at the acpi tables tonight and see if I can find anything weird.