Easy installation of El Capitan (10.11.5) in 5960X CPU!

297 posts in this topic

Hi augustopaulo, thank you for your guide

I am trying it with my rig (Asus Rampage V Extreme and a 2696 V3 Cpu (18 cores + 18 threads)

Do you have any help it ìf it is possible to follow your guide and to hope that my system works?

I add some pictures

Thank you again

Hi Fabiosun, 

Sure I can try to help  :)

Well my guide is specifically target for the 5960x cpu, specially if you use the SSDT.aml file with its specific CPU OC frequencies and there's other CPU specific CPU settings on Clover config.plist...

So, first publish your rig devices in your signature, and are the screens that you've showed from your rig with this installation guide ?

What is your video card ?

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Installing Nvidia web driver I can reach El capitan desktop with Titan X working and without touching any option in clover boot args and other clover tab, but again, no usb keyboard..mouse is working well.

I swapped mouse and keyboard ports without success, in this case also mouse is not working anymore...

maybe usb kext is not working well with El Capitan 10.11?

Ps2 voodo controller enable me to enter with a PS2 keyboard

now I have to find how to inject  usb keyboard

Hi Fabiosun, 

Good, some progress  :yes:

Have you tried to configure your USB settings in your motherboard BIOS as close as possible to mine ?

You might also have more than one USB controller in your motherboard (mine has USB controllers from INTEL & ASMedia), try to connect both the mouse & keyboard to only one of them.

Also, for your unique system, try to remove the patch #2 "Remove USB limit", from the section KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch of the clover config.plist, as these are meant to enable the Asus X99 Deluxe USB3 ports - to see if you can progress further, ok?

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Thank you augustopaulo

great news

Legacyusb kext in my system does not work with usb keyboards

I removed it and recreate cache..usb keyboard now works

I have now a problem with total system memory that with your config.plist is set to 32 Gb

I have 128 Gb, removing memory line in config.plist now I see 4 modules for a total ram of 64 Gb (16Gb x 4)..I have to fix it.

thank you for your help again! :-)

edit memory solved ( I hope not in only cosmetic way!

Hi fabiosun, 

Very good, congratulations  :ihw_wow:

What else works and how ?

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Ok problem solved

I installed from scratch on my x58 pc, before installing clover I installed combo update, then clover and your guide's kext and patch

then nvidia web driver

I have to modify memory part of your config.plist (i have 128 Gb at 2133..but , now it is working!

deleting in your config.plist memory related part i have this..64Gb are you can see in my grab

Now ram parameters are correct..but I miss 64 gb

I can achieve all ram if I had in config.plist slot from 0 to 7..but I don't know if this is the right way and not only cosmetic.

Thank you again Paulo

deleting in your config.plist memory related part i have this..64Gb as you can see in my grab

Now ram parameters are correct..but I miss 64 gb

I can have all ram if I had in config.plist slot from 0 to 7..but I don't know if this is the right way and not only cosmetic.

Thank you again Paulo

You should have removed memory info in config.plist using clover configurator. At the beginning i had the same problem, only 32GB were seen instead of my 64GB. I removed memory infos with clover configurator and all the banks were seen in OSX.

• Like 1

Hi Augustopaulo,

I think I have fixed my GPU problem by editing your file "SSDT-HDMI-NVDIA-BR3A.aml" by following the "SSDT GPU Injection Guide" that you suggested and also performed the fix for "Black Screen with MacPro 6.1. Now I only connect my monitor to the hack with one displayport. When I boot into Clover and boot Macintosh-HD, it will load and then black screen. I just need to switch to other connection (which is not connected to anything) and then switch back to Display port and the desktop shows up. Sound was coming out from HDMI and/or Display port.

However, I performed the 10.11.6 update and updated the Nvidia Web Driver. And lost all sounds.
So I re-installed "LegacyUSBHub.kext" (not sure if it was necessary) and "AppleHDA.kext" (got back sound from ALC1150) but I lost sound from HDMI and Display Port.
Is there anyway I can get it back? I have attached a dropbox link to my original DSDT, modded SSDT, and current config.plist (don't know how to attach it here, sorry) for you to inspect if anything is not working correctly.
Thanks for all your help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptzfmgm4tv01tqg/DSDT%26SSDT%26Config.zip?dl=0

For those interested...I've updated to the last OS X 10.11.6 version. Everything works perfectly after the update. Remember to update nvidia web drivers too.

Yep worked, my Audio died but i re patch it.

I have post a problem (maybe it is a problem don't know) that after the update my default driver for GPU will always use OSX, need to choose manually Nvidia. but after restart the setting go back to default again which is using OSX drivers...is that a real issue?

Hi. I tried booting up on the external HDD and installing the nvidia web driver on another computer. No Luck. Still hangs on PCI Configuration Begin before crashing when I try and boot off it on my 5960x rig. Ideas??

which flags are you using in boot?

can you boot in single user (-s)?

which flags are you using in boot?

can you boot in single user (-s)?

I am using: -v kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 -xcpm npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 (also tried nvda_drv=1 since web drivers are installed)

Neither safemode nor singleuser work

(Thanks for the reply btw :) )

I am using: -v kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 -xcpm npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 (also tried nvda_drv=1 since web drivers are installed)

Neither safemode nor singleuser work

(Thanks for the reply btw :) )

Hi darkghost568,

This is a different problem from what you reported before, right ?

Anyway, believe that Brumbaer's patch for the 5960X is not being applied onto your rig through Clover or your HFS+ filesystem needs repairing... This is typically the case after several unsuccessful  boots attempts...

Try this already patched file of IOPCIFamily.kext from here and put in on SLE, repair permissions and rebuild the kext cache from another MAC and then post here the results,  ok?

Also, try to boot without caches at Clover boot menu...

First things first, lets get your rig booting (with functional safemode & singleuser) with the Clover patches and after that tackle the video problem...

Boa sorte,

Paulo

Hi darkghost568,

This is a different problem from what you reported before, right ?

Anyway, believe that Brumbaer's patch for the 5960X is not being applied onto your rig through Clover or your HFS+ filesystem needs repairing... This is typically the case after several unsuccessful boots attempts...

Try this already patched file of IOPCIFamily.kext from here and put in on SLE, repair permissions and rebuild the kext cache from another MAC and then post here the results, ok?

Also, try to boot without caches at Clover boot menu...

First things first, lets get your rig booting (with functional safemode & singleuser) with the Clover patches and after that tackle the video problem...

Boa sorte,

Paulo

It's the same problem as before. I'll get on it tonight and post an update with debug pictures tomorrow morning. Thanks again for your help!

Hello,

my problem is different..I have 128 Gb of ram and without adding line in clover.plist I see only 64 Gb

Maybe it is a problem with nMp SMBios limited to 64 Gb?

However I have only64gb if I use Mac Pro 5.1 SMBios

But memory amount should not be related to config.plist. In my previous build i had 128GB and they were seen as 128 in OSX using Clover (an old version) too.

So if with lines added to config.plist shown you 128

I don't Know if it is a bios config related problems or MacPro 6,1 Smbios limited to 64 Gb of total ram (AppleNew Mac Pro should have only 4 memory module available for a total of 64gb.)

With config.plist configured as you can see in pictures attached i have 128 gb and 8 slot full filled as my system is.

Without those lines I see only 64 Gb and for banks full filled with 16 Gb modules

I have to try without any memory related line in config.plist and change some Asus bios parameters to see if something change.

So what's the matter if adding lines to config.plist let show you all the banks? Leave those line in config.plist and don't worry....they don't affect correct working of your build.

I wiped the external HDD and did a fresh install. My macbook automatically updated to 10.11.6, so when I ran the El Capitan HD.app that's what it installed on the external HDD. People said that 10.11.6 was working fine so hopefully that isn't the problem. I followed the guide and right after step 6, I installed the IOPCIFamily.kext that augustopaulo linked. I tried to boot from clover with these bootflags and without caches (http://imgur.com/a/mwwmN). This time, it wouldn't even go to the verbose boot screen. Instead I got a string of ++++ over the apple boot logo for about 10 seconds before the system crashed (http://imgur.com/a/lhCUA). I couldn't boot to singleuser or safemode. Thanks for everyone's help so far! I'm determined to get this build booting, but I'm running out of ideas <_<

I would like to know if those lines are only for cosmetic purpose or not,and if those lines are not present I would like to know where OS X take 64 gb value with only 4 banks in my case. :-)

Sometimes it's better don't know  :thumbsup_anim:

I don't know your system specs, but in my rig I have a behaviour similar to yours if i use -x clover boot flag

Without I could complete Others necessary steps

My specs are:

5960X

Rampage V Extreme

2x Titan X (SLI)

Sound Card in PCI slot

Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (Want to install here)

64GB Corsair Ram

However I removed my sound card and one GPU so I only have one GPU in PCIe total. Did you check my first link? I have -x in my bootflags already.

If you have installed all kext suggest by augustopaulo you should boot without -x flag

if I put on my system that flag (-x) I have a similar behaviour as you have (about ten seconds I have a instant reboot)

I include my clover boot-args

I don't use nv_disable=1 because before to mount the SSD  disk on my x99 Asus RV5 rig I have installed 10.11.6 NVIDIA web drivers

I am also using darkwake=8 and VoodooTSCSync.kext to have a perfect sleep/wake system

Good advice about safemode! Without "-x" I'm getting to the normal verbose screen like before, but I'm still getting stuck on the PCI Configuration Begin (http://imgur.com/a/89Bh6). The reason I had safemode in the first place is because augustopaulo said that my first priority should be getting safemode and singleuser to work, and then to move on to getting everything else functional. Thanks for the advice, got anymore?  :P

:-) :-)

Have you installed all kext suggested by augusto Paulo? (i have all installed except legacyusb one that is no t working for me)

You have same MB than mine, Have you set usb part like augustopaulo screenshot?

I will eliminate also -v clover flag

-v is the bootflag for verbose mode, and without it, I can't see where in the boot sequence the computer is hanging (other than using clover to boot in verbose mode, which is essentially the same thing). I've installed all the kexts up to step 6, which is where I'm supposed to try to boot for the first time. I've also installed the IOPCIFamily.kext that augustopaulo told me to install earlier. Yes, my BIOS is configured the exact same way augustopaulo has it in the screenshots from the OP with EHCI Hand-off "Enabled" and Boot from Storage Devices "UEFI driver first." :)

sorry I corrected my self but you have not seen it

I created in other way my el capitan 10.11.6 ssd disk (with an old x58 chipset PC)

On this pc I followed augustopaulo guide from point 4 to point 5

then I have installed web drivers for my gfx

Then I installed SSD on rampage extreme 5 mb

At start I have used patched augustopaulo ssdt's, then I created new one for my cpu that is different from yours

Sorry augustopaulo for little offtopic

attached some grab of my RVE motherboard firmware pages

these are for latest 3301 firmware, but I have same success with 3101 and 3202 firmware

Good advice! I wiped my external HDD and reinstalled 10.11.6 using El Capitan.app. Then booted from the macbook and installed the web drivers. I rebooted, made sure the web drivers were installed, then rebooted again to boot off the macbook's internal hard drive. I installed clover and the kexts, as per the OP guide and installed the extra IOPCIFamily.kext. My BIOS was already set up like your screenshots, but it was helpful to double check and make sure nothing was different. I tried booting off the external HDD with "rootless=0 kext-dev-mode=1 -xcpm npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 -v", and I got farther than I ever had before! I got past the "loading DSDT" and I saw it load the web drivers and applehda.kext, but then my computer suddenly crashed. When I tried booting from the external drive again I got stuck back here (

sorry I corrected my self but you have not seen it

I created in other way my el capitan 10.11.6 ssd disk (with an old x58 chipset PC)

On this pc I followed augustopaulo guide from point 4 to point 5

then I have installed web drivers for my gfx

Then I installed SSD on rampage extreme 5 mb

At start I have used patched augustopaulo ssdt's, then I created new one for my cpu that is different from yours

Sorry augustopaulo for little offtopic

attached some grab of my RVE motherboard firmware pages

these are for latest 3301 firmware, but I have same success with 3101 and 3202 firmware

Good advice! I wiped my external HDD and reinstalled 10.11.6 using El Capitan.app. Then booted from the macbook and installed the web drivers. I rebooted, made sure the web drivers were installed, then rebooted again to boot off the macbook's internal hard drive. I installed clover and the kexts, as per the OP guide and installed the extra IOPCIFamily.kext. My BIOS was already set up like your screenshots, but it was helpful to double check and make sure nothing was different. I tried booting off the external HDD with "rootless=0 kext-dev-mode=1 -xcpm npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 -v", and I got farther than I ever had before! I got past the "loading DSDT" and I saw it load the web drivers and applehda.kext, but then my computer suddenly crashed. When I tried booting from the external drive again I got stuck back here (https://imgur.com/a/yWHpU). Frustrating, but I can feel I'm really close! Thanks for all the help so far btw. If you have any more ideas it would be much appreciated :)

Yes I have! :)

With all kext, ssdt, config.plist configured fine, my system starts from usb2, usb 3 and sata without any difference

When I installed el capitan in "guest" x58 machine I have rebooted one time after the upgrade from 10.11 to 10.11.6 (I did it via combo update), then I installed all kext and patch and web drivers

I didn't reboot in guest machine after web drivers are installed but i attached ssdt on x99 pc via usb (2 or 3 is not different for me)

I have not installed IOPCIFamily.kext, maybe I miss this part in OP

My system starts also with augustopaulo 5960x SSDT, but I have generated a new one with pikeralpha utility

If I was you I will trry this:

1) Try to boot again with nv_disable

2) create a SSDT with no turboboost parameter or disable OC on bios if you have

3) try to disable wifi and Bluetooth for first boot ( in my system is not necessary but who knows?)

I am not using nullcpukext or Others..I am using only augustopaulo's adviced kext without legacyusb.kext

Can you explain what you mean by "augustopaulo's adviced kext?" That part changed later after the OP and it was always a little unclear for me. I'm new to this, but from what I can tell, the SSDT should be processor specific and not OSX version specific. I have my computer able to boot Yosemite 10.10.5 from USB, so if I booted from that, I could generate a SSDT and use that, right? The part with IOPCIFamily.kext was never mentioned in the OP, but after augustopaulo took a look at one of my pictures, he thought I should use it because he suspected something wasnt loading properly. It's around 2am where I am, so I'll try this and update you in the morning. Thanks!

If you have installed all kext suggest by augustopaulo you should boot without -x flag

if I put on my system that flag (-x) I have a similar behaviour as you have (about ten seconds I have a instant reboot)

I include my clover boot-args

I don't use nv_disable=1 because before to mount the SSD  disk on my x99 Asus RV5 rig I have installed 10.11.6 NVIDIA web drivers

I am also using darkwake=8 and VoodooTSCSync.kext to have a perfect sleep/wake system

Hi Fabiosun

why you need to use voodooTSCYnc with Xeon CPU?

what is the number you changed in that kexts? 23?

my sleep / wake is working how ever it take some time to sleep and some time to wake, when wake i don't have sound even when i used code commander kexts, my wifi is off and than it forget wifi password and Apple keychain always request the password...

Can you share your settings like plist / clover etc.?

Thanks