El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

I've now managed to get el capitan installed on my SSD and it runs great except for the nvidia web drivers. After installation my machine boots to a black screen.

Here is how Andres ZeroCross did it, see if it helps.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308707-fresh-install-from-usb-installer-el-capitan-10111-beta-build-15b38b-on-skylake-i7-6700-gigabyte-z170-hd3/

I personally had no luck with nVidia GTX 750 Ti so I switched to AMD 7790 instead.

Is there any reason why my on board audio wouldn't be working using yassinex's efi?

The audio won't work by default, you need to install Toledo's audio driver or install VoodooHDA.

Toledo's commands are available at: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC

and

VoodooHDA is available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

I personally use VoodooHDA because for some unknown reason while I was playing musics after a few minutes I could hear a noise which was getting worse so I tried VoodooHDA and now it work perfectly fine.

My audio layout is set to 1 which in Yassinex's config.plist file is set to 3.

FYI: If you are going to use VoodooHDA just remember after you installed the VoodooHDA there will  be a file in your application folder called "VoodooHdaSettingsLoader" which you need to place it in your login items in system preferences under "Users and groups" ---> "login Items" and adjust the "input Gain" under "VoodooHDA" in system preferences.

If you don't every time you restart the system you'll need to adjust your audio settings.

Hi dreamcat4,

Can do you upload the BIOS image what you received?

I will make a guide, but until that, there is my CLOVER EFI folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu7r6k9lydgob60/EFI.zip?dl=0

Hi again Majonez,

I am another guy with the same Gaming 3 motherboard (but not a discreete graphics, just the Intel IGP).

Now am ready at the point where I am making USB installer. And have added clover to it. But sorry I don't understand where to put your files? I have mounted the EFI folder in clover configurator and it shows an empty folder (nothing inside it).

Wheras your folder looks like this:

$ du -hd2
1.2M	./EFI/BOOT
16M	./EFI/APPLE
19M	./EFI/CLOVER
35M	./EFI
56K	./__MACOSX/EFI
60K	./__MACOSX
35M	.

So I drag all 3 folders inside of it yes? Many thanks.

Also reading steps from Yassinex here ---> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2196985

He didn't have the same folders as you. But I understand that I need to copy the files again onto target disk later after installation (before 1st reboot).

Hi again Majonez,

I am another guy with the same Gaming 3 motherboard (but not a discreete graphics, just the Intel IGP).

Now am ready at the point where I am making USB installer. And have added clover to it. But sorry I don't understand where to put your files? I have mounted the EFI folder in clover configurator and it shows an empty folder (nothing inside it).

Wheras your folder looks like this:

$ du -hd2
1.2M	./EFI/BOOT
16M	./EFI/APPLE
19M	./EFI/CLOVER
35M	./EFI
56K	./__MACOSX/EFI
60K	./__MACOSX
35M	.

So I drag all 3 folders inside of it yes? Many thanks.

Also reading steps from Yassinex here ---> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2196985

He didn't have the same folders as you. But I understand that I need to copy the files again onto target disk later after installation (before 1st reboot).

If your EFI folder is empty then you did not install clover to your USB. I would suggest you try again and make sure your USB is selected as the destination device.

Happy Hacking.

@Dreamcat4,

All you need to do is simply delete everything in the EFI partition and copy the whole EFI folder under the EFI partition of your target disk.

And by the way Yassinex didn't wrote those steps I did   :)

• Like 1

If your EFI folder is empty then you did not install clover to your USB. I would suggest you try again and make sure your USB is selected as the destination device.

Happy Hacking.

Yeah thanks for this tip. But it's the same again.

What I did:

$ sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Open Clover_v2.3k_r3330.pkg

Contine, Continue, Change Install Location --> Select "Install OS X El Capitan", Continue

Clicked "Customize" --> Changed nothing there

Clicked "Insatall" --> Clover.pkg reports "Installation Complete"

Opened CCC (Clover Configurator Classic) v2.2.5 (b/c Mavericks host)

Mount EFI Tab --> Mount EFI Partition --> disk1s1 (which is reported from 'diskutil list' cmd output)

Clicked "Open Partition" --> Empty "EFI" Drive (no files in it)

So what did I do wrong? It only seems like there might be a missed Custom Clover settings (Customize), but nobody ever tells / says what that is. Such help is really appreciated at this point before going further.

[EDIT]

After installing Clover.pkg, I can see there is an EFI/CLOVER folder directly on the USB drive itself. In the main HFS+ partition. But presumably that's not the UEFI's  ESP partition (which we mount in clover configurator)? i.e. the HFS+ one isn't seen at a regularPC's UEFI boot time (because unlike regular macs they can't read from HFS+).

So it seems to me Clover just install (by its default setting) only to HFS+ partition for regular macs. And that's why the ESP is empty. Correct? Y/n?

By default the option "Install Clover in the ESP" is un-checked. Which is why it empty. So I should need to flick that on or it doesn't actually matter? (because nobody here explicitly mention that bit). I think it's important b/c when the Clover installer makes it for me, it actually makes as /EFI folder structure within that partition. And a 'boot' binary file too. That seems important enough not to be omitted from the steps. As otherwise file structure may be gotten wrong (e.g. no EFI/ nested subfolder etc.)

Anything else non-default I should do back in Clover .pkg "Customize"? My mobo is UEFI (Z170X Gaming 3). Very much like you guys. Many thanks.

EFI Partition guide:

In general when you partition a hard disk with Apple GUID or Microsoft GPT partition scheme it creates an EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) partition or UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) which is a newer version of the EFI partition or sometimes is referred to as ESP (EFI System Partition) that operation systems use this partition to store and read boot related data on the hard disk to load operating system.

On any given original Apple® computer when you partition the Hard Disk install Mac OS X it also creates the EFI partition and stores the necessary files needed by OS to boot properly.

Clover adds many other useful informations and files needed by OS to boot from non-Apple computers.

Use Clover Configurator to easily customize the contents of the config.plist, drivers and themes of the Clover boot loader.

Under “Tools” section click on Mount EFI, then click on “Check Partitions” to see the Partition Scheme.

Note that my OS is installed on the following disk:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *240.1 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Boot                    239.2 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3 

you can also see there are three partitions on the disk and the first one is called EFI. The second one is the one I installed Mac OS X El Capitan on it and the third one is the one Mac OS X created in case of emergencies and it’s called Recovery HD.

After you determined the correct EFI partition on the correct OS X bootable hard disk click “Mount EFI partition” and double click on the correct disk in the list to load the EFI partition.

Now all you need to do is to delete the whole EFI folder under the EFI partition and replace it with the one Majonez uploaded earlier in this topic or you can use the one here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/win6k4lvfndnz8p/EFI.zip?dl=0

Good luck.

post-1011040-0-77678700-1451233489_thumb.png

post-1011040-0-56459800-1451233512_thumb.png

post-1011040-0-71898100-1451233532_thumb.png

OK. Thanks cyberdevs for your help too. I am grateful.

Getting further now. Using the Majonez EFI folder here --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/?do=findComment&comment=2188065. Because it's meant for Gaming 3 not 5.

Had to replace the file "EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi" --> "EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi". Because Majonez did not put that there in his EFI folder. And then the OS X installer would boot up. However no discreete graphics card = Screen lines are all messed up (cannot read from the display). So:

Problem 2: IGP graphics corruption.

* OS X Installer loads up
* Screen display is messed up
  * Lots of horizontal lines - shifting like interlaced / wrapped over each line upon another / wrong screen resolution
  * Impossible to see where I am clicking (but mouse works)

[EDIT]

Ah -

* That ^^ above issue was with the Intel HD530 on the Analog DSUB Output.

* With also HDMI plugged in too (as 2nd screen).

* Which I didn't check before but the HDMI does not display the corruption :)

... so can install using the HDMI screen instead for time being.

OK. Thanks cyberdevs for your help too. I am grateful.

Getting further now. Using the Majonez EFI folder here --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/?do=findComment&comment=2188065. Because it's meant for Gaming 3 not 5.

Had to replace the file "EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi" --> "EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi". Because Majonez did not put that there in his EFI folder. And then the OS X installer would boot up. However no discreete graphics card = Screen lines are all messed up (cannot read from the display). So:

Problem 2: IGP graphics corruption.

* OS X Installer loads up

* Screen display is messed up

* Lots of horizontal lines - shifting like interlaced / wrapped over each line upon another / wrong screen resolution

* Impossible to see where I am clicking (but mouse works)

And it seems most other talented people here have discreete graphics card :(

You need to edit Majonez's config.plist because he uses an ATI card and he made some adjustments.

You need to edit the followings with clover configurator:

ACPI:

1. New way: Click FIX_INTELGFX

Boot

1. Click nv_disable=1

Graphics:

1. Uncheck Inject ATI

2. Check Inject Intel

Kext and Kernel Patches:

1. Add the following values shown in the picture under KextsToPatch which is provided by Piker's Alpha

Save and reboot and see how it woks out.

post-1011040-0-46403800-1451234178_thumb.png

• Like 1

You need to edit the followings with clover configurator:

...[cut]...

Save and reboot and see how it woks out.

Can't thank you enough. Being so new to clover and everything else.

[EDIT]

OK all those ^^ above changes for Intel IGP applied successfully in Clover Configurator. Rebooted into the installer and now the D-SUB output work too. No major screen corruption anymore. HDMI still fine also. Just going through the setup now.

[EDIT2]

Journalling greyed out (was not enabled by default) --> Problem solved. Just a partitioning issue and seems unrelated to skylake / clover settings. Can be fixed in Disk Utility by re-applying on the partition.

• Like 1

Can't thank you enough. Being so new to clover and everything else.

[EDIT]

OK all those ^^ above changes for Intel IGP applied successfully in Clover Configurator. Rebooted into the installer and now the D-SUB output work too. No major screen corruption anymore. HDMI still fine also. Just going through the setup now.

[EDIT2]

Well that's interesting. In the installer setup, Disk Utility says journaling is disabled (samsung EVO 250gb). But the option to enable it in File menu is actually greyed out and cannot be enabled. Perhaps that is another issue. Because will need to resize partitions later on etc.

You're welcome :)

I'm glad it helped.

Intel Graphics are not completely supported yet but it works. You might also experience some artifacts in your display so it's better to get a supported VGA card as soon as possible.

About the greyed out journaling my guess is that you need to repartition the Hard Disk.

• Like 1

Yeah correct again cyberdevs (about the journalling)... updated my post about it being nothing after all. Sorry to bring that up.

For the graphics I must be happy with artifacts for now. Can't really justify buying any 28nm graphics anymore when 16nm shrink are so close. Maybe the remaining artifacting can be looked into again after other skylake macs get released later on (i.e. which will rely upon Intel IGP only).

• Like 1

Yeah correct again cyberdevs (about the journalling)... updated my post about it being nothing after all. Sorry to bring that up.

For the graphics I must be happy with artifacts for now. Can't really justify buying any 28nm graphics anymore when 16nm shrink are so close. Maybe the remaining artifacting can be looked into again after other skylake macs get released later on (i.e. which will rely upon Intel IGP only).

Cool  :)

OK. So I am very pleased - it got pretty far. Rebooted a couple of times and presented the initial 1-time setup screens / wizard of El Capitan. The problem then was if I said yes to networking, and set DHCP, go. Then it would reboot. Again back into the 1-time setup screens. So to proceed further had to select "no" to networking, skip etc.

Followed cyberdevs instruction on other thread, and copied again out modified majonez (Gaming 3) EFI folder of pre-configured clover from USB --> Macintosh HDD's UEFI / ESP (FAT32) partition. Which mounted also from clover configuration. It only mounts 1 ESP partiion at a time. So you kinnda have to ferry them across. via copy to Desktop.

Anyway, with Majonez folder:

* Killer NIC Qualcomm-Atheros E2201 - not recognised. Missing hardware. (Gaming 3 only have Killer NIC.)

* Realtek 1150 audio not listed / recognised (although profiler shows 'Intel Sound', even that Intel HDMI? sound device did not come up as a selectable output device)

* Displays --> It seems only 1 display the DSUB (of lower res) is recognised in system profiler (Mirror: off). But yet is auto mirrored onto HDMI outputs. E.g. HDMI not listed / not available as separate display.

* RAM - Full 16 GB Recognized

* USB 2.0 device - All of the USB ports and USB headers worked for a USB 2.0 device. Even including the USB 3.1 type A port.

* USB 3.0 device - Only the USB 2.0 ports would accept the USB 3.0 device (in slow-mode, at 2.0 speeds). None of the USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports registered / mounted the USB 3.0 drive.

Doubtful all can be fixed without getting new hardware adapters. But perhaps some of it. In particular the networking and audio which are not skylake specific. Which would suggest maybe the majonez Gaming EFI folder has a few things missing. I.e. which may be found elsewhere in your guys other Gaming 5,7,HD3 efi folders (here by Cyberdevs, Yassinex or Andres-Zerocross).

try this EFI folder instead of Majonez's and see how it works. It's for Gaming 5 and might not work fully with your mainboard but at least you can see how the USB ports are remapped and check the other stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/win6k4lvfndnz8p/EFI.zip?dl=0

My LAN adapter worked just fine without any specific configurations, Just make sure AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext is available in your EFI folder under kext folders "10.11" or "Other"

but getting audio to work is another story, I just used voodooHDA and it works just fine with some minor adjustment which you can find all about it in my previous posts on this topic at: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/?p=2199304

USB 3.1 is not supported yet or I haven't found any related solution yet.

USB 3.0 needs some work arounds which are available here at USB Fix forum.

I can report that the Killer E2201 nic has now started working after installing CustoMac Essentials .pkg --> Macintosh HD. Which was the most important bit. Not looked into other things yet. But yeah... I'm going to end up diff'ing my current / modified majonez folder against these (your guys) Gaming 5 folders. Maybe on another day as there's not really much more quick fixes for these remaining stuff.

Ah, about the delayed start. The full log was in my dmesg:

Ethernet [AtherosE2200]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, Rx/Tx flow-control

… pauses for ~10 seconds

[IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load: could not register with Framebuffer driver!
**** [IOBluetoothFamily][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport! 

Maybe this means my Intel IGP was never loaded properly. And it is falling back to a generic VESA drivers.

CyberDevs -

For some reason the FakeSMC in your folder is 750 Kb large. But the Majonez' one was only 150 Kb. I tried both of them and could not notice what was the difference. (as far as I knew). Perhaps there is one better than the other?

My Fakesmc.ketx includes ACPISensors.kext, CPUSensors.kext,GPUSensors.kext and LPCSensors.kext which are stored in the Plugins folder in the FakeSMC.kext, Majonez took these plugins out by deleting them. That's what makes the difference in size of those files, the reason hi took them out because some people are convinced that loading these sensors my cause kernel panic on Mac OS X 10.11 which in some cases were true.

Ah, about the delayed start. The full log was in my dmesg:

Ethernet [AtherosE2200]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, Rx/Tx flow-control

… pauses for ~10 seconds

[IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load: could not register with Framebuffer driver!
**** [IOBluetoothFamily][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport! 

Maybe this means my Intel IGP was never loaded properly. And it is falling back to a generic VESA drivers.

When Intel Graphics is not loaded it only shows 3 or 7 MB of memory for VGA and when it is loaded it shows 1530 MB or something like that but it has artifacts.

About the delay on the Ethernet i'm not sure why it's happening maybe you need to reinstall the PostInstall packages for El Capitan to fix the problem.

And finally about the Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport I'm not sure because I have a USB Bluetooth adapter which works fine with my Apple Wireless keyboard.

OK it all sounds pretty normal then. Since probably the pause is due to Intel IGP which is why users with ati/nvidia gfx won't happen to them. Which would suggest theres actually no problems with the atheros E2200 driver. Just was the *previous* msg in log. Have been learning more about Intel IGP on other thread here about it:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/178197-guide-el-capitan-skylake-h170n-wifi-3.html#post1151669

Too bad I just totally screwed up my config.plist in Clover Configurator. Should have backed it up. Like a real dumbass. At least I wrote everything down (the steps).

OK it all sounds pretty normal then. Since probably the pause is due to Intel IGP which is why users with ati/nvidia gfx won't happen to them. Which would suggest theres actually no problems with the atheros E2200 driver. Just was the *previous* msg in log. Have been learning more about Intel IGP on other thread here about it:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/178197-guide-el-capitan-skylake-h170n-wifi-3.html#post1151669

Too bad I just totally screwed up my config.plist in Clover Configurator. Should have backed it up. Like a real dumbass. At least I wrote everything down (the steps).

send me your config.plist so I can take look at it and see if i can find what's wrong.

send me your config.plist so I can take look at it and see if i can find what's wrong.

No need - already know what happened:

I hand-edited the config.xml file in beyond compare. Then afterward clover configurator failed to load it. So I stupidly clicked 'Save' and overwrote my 'config.plist' file with a blank (default) empty one. It's OK I still also an older previous version on the USB drive which was not touched. Just got to boot from it and get it back on there.