Fresh Install from USB Installer El Capitan 10.11.1 Beta Build 15B38b on Skylake i7 6700 + Gigabyte Z170-HD3

343 posts in this topic

I totally agree with you that flashing a bios is can be a hazardous thing, that being said I have NEVER bricked a machine by flashing a bios where I strictly changed menu access, doing other mods..... that's a different story lol.  While im here what board would you guys recommend for a mini itx z170, im leaning towards the gigabyte z170n wifi as it doesn't have the stupid Atheros Ethernet that the gaming 5 does, but I could be persuaded otherwise.  I plan to order parts in the next few days.

For those who care to try it here is the Z170XUD5 bios I patched for just access to the setting we are looking for.

Z170UD5PATCH.rar

Sorry never added an attachment before.  Im logging out of the evil world of windows and going to class (I hate night classes!).  Ill catch you all later tonight.

I totally agree with you that flashing a bios is can be a hazardous thing, that being said I have NEVER bricked a machine by flashing a bios where I strictly changed menu access, doing other mods..... that's a different story lol.  While im here what board would you guys recommend for a mini itx z170, im leaning towards the gigabyte z170n wifi as it doesn't have the stupid Atheros Ethernet that the gaming 5 does, but I could be persuaded otherwise.  I plan to order parts in the next few days.

For those who care to try it here is the Z170XUD5 bios I patched for just access to the setting we are looking for.

attachicon.gifZ170UD5PATCH.rar

Sorry never added an attachment before.  Im logging out of the evil world of windows and going to class (I hate night classes!).  Ill catch you all later tonight.

I went with the UD5 since it had an all intel chipset.  As for the bios I keep getting invalid bios image.  I'll tinker to see if I can get it to flash.

TweakTown. Tell them on TweakTown what we did (the process), and they will probably know what's wrong. With possible other helpful information such as: where the checksum bit(s) might be or how to find them / image repacking etc. specific to these GA-Z170X-* BIOS.

For those of you with gigabyte boards are you flashing via afudos with a dos boot disk? If not I highly recommend trying that. I provided Jancarlos with instructions he should be able to relay if you need them. Otherwise I'll post them up when I get home in 2 to 3 hours.

• Like 3

For those of you with gigabyte boards are you flashing via afudos with a dos boot disk? If not I highly recommend trying that. I provided Jancarlos with instructions he should be able to relay if you need them. Otherwise I'll post them up when I get home in 2 to 3 hours.

Tried various different versions of afudos and always get Error: Problem getting flash information.   Looks like only options for gigabyte is efiflash from dos or q-flash from the bios.

Tried various different versions of afudos and always get Error: Problem getting flash information.   Looks like only options for gigabyte is efiflash from dos or q-flash from the bios.

I flashed mine via M-Flash (that's how it's called on MSI mobo's) and it went well, you should try too!

I flashed mine via M-Flash (that's how it's called on MSI mobo's) and it went well, you should try too!

Thanks jancarlos.  Gigabyte's version is called q-flash.  It doesn't like the modifications done to the bios unfortunately.  Always errors with Invalid BIOS file.

I'm on a Gigabyte z170 as well and have been trying to make the BIOS modification tonight. No luck.

I tried modifying and flashing BIOS for GA-Z170-HD3P and was unsuccessful with QFlash and the Gigabyte provided Efiflash DOS utility. I started with the latest F4 BIOS (which flashed successfully with QFlash). The modified BIOS will not flash. I swapped the option back and tried to flash that file (what should be an unmodified BIOS) and was unsuccessful. 

The utility might not be saving the BIOS correctly for Gigabyte BIOS. I posted a topic at tweaktown asking for assistance http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/62071-ga-z170-hd3p-rev-1-0-bios-modification.html#post501889 

I will be buying a z170 and associated hardware tomorrow.  It will most likely be a gigabyte board (98%).  I will figure this out this weekend hopefully if I have time.  Hopefully someone gets this figured out before that, or they come up with a patch.  I really hope gigabyte hasn't started putting security into their bios like other manufacturers have (lenovo cough lenovo).

ooooh but theres a MSI version of mini ITX z170.... I love gigabyte but if they've started making it impossible to flash modded bios files....well.....

So, as y'all can see, i managed to get it working on my MSI Z170A Krait Gaming :D i'm uploading the BIOS in case somebody want it too, thanks everyone! I'll install it and let y'all know what's up!

Edit: File is up :)

Congrats man! I've done right now the same trick with my msi board. What kind of kexts and clover config are you using to boot to setup?

Hello again!

As events have been unfolding pretty quickly, some new bits of information has come to light. Summary as follows:

* Upon further investigation, there's no previous history of *Z170* BIOS modding on TweakTown Forums. Just older GB BIOSes. So my initial assessment that they are they have best knowledge about these matters there may not be entirely correct. Although they do have some relevant expertise in the area. And also a technical contact to Gigabyte.

The rest of this new information has been found entirely on the "win-raid" forum:

* It seems a majority of mfrs may have been locking up their Z170 BIOSes with a new security feature added in AMI BIOS V.

* It's unclear whether that may be related to the reported issue about 'unable to downgrade back to older ASUS BIOS'.

* There are possible workarounds for some vendor(s), not known for others.

* However the implication is that newer BIOS updates may have such locking feature silently added / krept in.

* So as a simple precaution I would recommend to NOT upgrade your current BIOS version for the time being. Just until the situation becomes a bit more apparent to everybody.

* If you happen to have already upgraded your BIOS to one which is locked then that is not for certain the end of the world either. But is likely to complicate matters / extra hoops for BIOS flashing modding. Depending also the mfr / if hoop not close (remains left open) etc. etc. I honestly am not the best person to advise about this and would defer to much higher expertise level which can be found elsewhere.

* I would now recommend win-raid forum as a better place to go to find out more about these things. As it seem there is already a substantial amount of information posted to that particular forum. And possibly (1) expert there.

* But it's also very much worth to cast a wider net too (i.e. on google), with the generic search keyword terms "ami uefi bios modding" + "z170" (optional).

My initial conclusions from finding out this news are as follows:

* It would make a lot of sense if we had some solid proceedure to determine (from examining the public / official BIOS file)... whether a specific mfr's BIOS file (and when / which exact version / update revision of it) is / is not locked. e.g. The public BIOS flash file for UDH5-f4 as an example. (for each models / variants). However I have no knowledge yet how to go about such things.

* It would make sense for every (each) affected users with to individually open a ticket (e.g. Gigabyte eSUPPORT), and request this missing feature / unhide menu. As the simplest solution for everybody would simply be if the manufacturer added / un-hided this simple little option in all of the official BIOS. That will only happen is enough people ask / request / badger / complain about it. It should be in the MFR's interests to do such if to avoid too many people risk try hacking their BIOSes --> can only result in higher RMA board return rate.

http://www.win-raid.com/

Please read the un-raid forum guidelines before posting. Please read the board first (a lot) before posting anything there. So we can glean most information first / not p*ss anybody off over there with PM and such.

[EDIT] Just to add they are focused on modding BIOS for the purpose of adding missing RAID drivers into it. Hence the name ^^. So please respect that and don't necessarily expect / demand help for BIOS modding for other purpose. Again just not to un-intentionally annoy anybody over there as it is such a valuable resource. Many thanks.

Anybody try using these AFUDOS commands on a gigabyte board. One of the force commands might work?

If not I will solder wires on one of my bios chips and flash with my raspberry pi this weekend.

This tool also exists http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2403-flash-modified-bios-uefi-digitally-signed-circumvent-secure-flash.html

I think this tool is preferable because you can extract the bios part with UEFITool and then flash it directly.

Anybody try using these AFUDOS commands on a gigabyte board. One of the force commands might work?

If not I will solder wires on one of my bios chips and flash with my raspberry pi this weekend.

This tool also exists http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2403-flash-modified-bios-uefi-digitally-signed-circumvent-secure-flash.html

I couldnt get afudos to work with my gigabyte board with any combination of switches.

I think this tool is preferable because you can extract the bios part with UEFITool and then flash it directly.

I couldnt get afudos to work with my gigabyte board with any combination of switches.

Try dumping the BIOS on your mobo with the /o command, mod that and see if it will flash. 

Try dumping the BIOS on your mobo with the /o command, mod that and see if it will flash. 

I did try to dump the BIOS with afudos and it wouldn't even do that.  I am going to try my hand at manually modifying with UEFITool or wait for the bios as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thats what I was afraid of, bios locks are becoming more and more likely unfortunately.  Another good site for bios mods is: www.bios-mods.com.  I would guess part of the reason for this is all the people that have been adding slic information into their bios in order to fool windows into an oem install without having a proper license.  Hopefully gigabyte steps up and provides the bios mod on their own.